[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the best option for a arcade stick for a sega saturn?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: 111.jpg (91 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
111.jpg
91 KB, 1200x900
Is this the best option for a arcade stick for a sega saturn? got a lot of mixed signals about this thing.
>>
>>3362637
This is the best one outside of making your own.
>>
>>3362664
That's not to mention that it is any good, though. I have one and it was a huge disappointment: the stick has 50/50 chance of being a good Seimitsu or some kind of awful ASCII stick, the buttons are all noname crap, and you can't switch out the buttons without destroying the PCB and dremeling the button holes on the front - not to mention that you have to destroy the artwork if you want to change the stick, as it is a sticker with screws underneath.

You are better off getting a decent modern pad and soldering one of those crappy batwing style Saturn pad PCBs inside (due to the design of those pads, the PCBs come in three interconnected pieces, which means you have perfect solder holes for each button connector on the central board which hosts the connector and the controller IC).
>>
>>3362693
is there any way of telling on the picture if it is a ASCII stick?
>>
>>3362695
No, you have to open the back and check. I ordered one of these and it was a Seimitsu stick. Felt like I won a lotto until I tried playing Street Fighter with those buttons.
>>
>>3363058
This is the same with the dream casts green goblin. Stick is OK but the buttons are not up to much. Probably the best stick for Saturn would be the hori one with green buttons
>>
>>3363158
This is only a guess based on the play station equivalent being OK
>>
No, this is the best retail option.
>>
>>3362664
How would that even be possible?
>>
>>3362664
This.
Making your own stick is the best way to go since you can make it to your liking and all.
>>
>>3365901
slagcoin.com/joystick
>>
>>3362693
What do you mean by batwing controller? The bulky first-model US controller?
>>
>>3363158
Some of the DC sticks were literally the exact same stick as the one in the OP pic, with an internal Saturn to DC controller adapter.

>>3363593
That one uses the same internals, just in a bigger housing. Oh and it costs ten times as much. It's only the best option if you want to show off your makeshift cab.
>>
File: sat_diagram1.jpg (175 KB, 812x586) Image search: [Google]
sat_diagram1.jpg
175 KB, 812x586
>>3367807
Yes. You have through hole connectors for every button (!!!) and a relatively small PCB.

The controller is shit but that PCB is the most modification friendly controller PCB I have ever seen on any console.
>>
This isn't really related but I went to an arcade for the first time since I was a kid recently and found the arcade setup for fighting games to be really uncomfortable. I played Mortal Kombat, Soul Caliber, and SF 2 and really just wanted to have a controller. Non-fighting games on the NeoGeo (Nam 75, Neo Drift Out) felt great though.

Am I just stupid or do fighting games play better with a controller with enough buttons for the job? I don't really play fighting game much.
>>
>>3367839
People use arcade sticks because that's what they were used to, since they were always at arcades playing fighting games.
If you're used to controller, then just stick with it. It's whatever you're more comfortable with.
>>
>>3365901
Whatever multi console PCB the cool kids use these days usually is compatible with saturn.
As a bonus SNES as well as many other consoles.
>>
>>3367827
>That one uses the same internals, just in a bigger housing
The fuck it does. That thing is legitimately an arcade panel. You can swap in whatever Sanwa/Seimitsu stick you want in it, takes standard 30mm buttons. The buttons in the smaller one are 28mm knock off buttons with garbage switches, and you have about 1/4th chance of getting a Seimitsu stick in there (3/4ths of the sticks are knockoffs) that are non user replaceable without some serious modifications.

What the fuck are you smoking that you think they have the same buttons stick?
>>
>>3368362
I suppose you have one of them and you can post pictures of the insides to back up your post?
>>
>>3368375
I do have one, it has a standard Astro City panel that you'd find on an arcade cabinet.
>>
File: Gcn1nKn.jpg (159 KB, 994x520) Image search: [Google]
Gcn1nKn.jpg
159 KB, 994x520
>>3368375
Not my picture but hey would you look at that it's a standard Seimitsu LS32 stick and 30mm Seimitsu buttons soldered to a daughterboard.
>>
File: Repair - 2.jpg (216 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Repair - 2.jpg
216 KB, 1600x1200
>>3368390
I dunno man. These buttons don't look like any seimitsu ones, unless they are some old model not in production anymore.
>>
File: Repair - 4.jpg (171 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Repair - 4.jpg
171 KB, 1600x1200
left: sanwa obsf-30
right: the buttons in the hss-0130
>>
>>3368467
They look like cheapshit due to being soldered to a pcb, but I can't discount the possibility of them being ok due to being so old.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.