[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Super Nintendo's turn yellow? Is there a way to fix
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
Why do Super Nintendo's turn yellow?
Is there a way to fix it?

My gf bought me one for my birthday and half of it was yellow.
>>
>>3360595
direct quote from Nintendo: For the Super NES, this is a normal condition and no cause for alarm. Cleaning or handling the system will have minimal impact to change or revive the original color.

The Super NES, as well as our other systems, are made with a plastic containing flame-retardant chemicals to meet safety guidelines. Over time, the plastic will age and discolor both because of these chemicals as well as from the normal heat generated from the product or exposure to light. Because of the light color of the plastic of the SNES and NES, this discoloration is more easily seen than with other darker plastics such as on the N64 and the Nintendo GameCube.
>>
>>3360595

Additives put in the plastic turn yellow over time, especially if exposed to sunlight. You can use stuff like RetroBright to fix it in the short term but I hear that it makes the plastic brittle.
>>
>>3360615
So the parts around the console slot, and the controller ports aren't fire retardant and don't meet safety guidelines?

For shame Nintendo. For shame.
>>
>>3360595

To make the plastic more flame resistant a bromine additive was added, over time trough oxygen and UV radiation at the surface it breaks down leading to the color.
Hydrogen peroxide breaks these particles down again so they don't react with light anymore optically whitening the plastic again. Then the proces starts anew. Each treatment with peroxide makes the surface more and more brittle at the surface, but look at how thick the plastic is, several mm, so that doesn't really affect stability.
>>
>>3360615
Is this really true or just a copypasta? It doesn't make sense that only some parts have flame-retardant chemicals and others do not.
>>
>>3360595
I kind of like it. Looks like those old Fender tweed products.
>>
File: 1391270972691.gif (135 KB, 521x520) Image search: [Google]
1391270972691.gif
135 KB, 521x520
Why did my console stay gray but the controller ports yellowed?
>>
>>3360737
All of the plastic does but sometimes different pieces were made with a different batches of plastic. This caused the yellowing to happen at different rates. I've seen SNES's that are entirely yellow.

It really depends where you stored it my SNES for example was almost never sat out where sun could get to it and has barely started to change color after owning it for 20 years.
>>
>>3360595
Doesn't the SNES Mini fix this issue?
>>
>>3360595
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO4mjEasdTM

This video shows how to do it, same idea, just with a yellowed Apple computer.

Happens to a lot of older systems from plastic additives that break down over time. It is only surface level though. More obvious...obviously in white/beige plastics.
>>
>>3360793
Different batches of plastic.
Quite often, the reverse happens, as in the OP.
>>
>>3360595
>Is there a way to fix it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retr0bright
>>
File: 1464664825856.png (13 KB, 512x448) Image search: [Google]
1464664825856.png
13 KB, 512x448
>>3360823
>>
just think of it as an exclusive golden SNES that you can only acquire from being an OG owner of one
>>
>>3360595
>Nintendo's
Plurals don't need a fucking apostrophe you smegma colored hunk of plastic. It's Nintendos, god damn it.
>>
>>3360776
For me I have the urge to brush my teeth vigorously
>>
>>3361671

It would be quite nice if the whole thing yellows like that. But with the center keeping normal it looks really stupid.
>>
They're actually made of human teeth.
>>
>>3360737
>to meet regulations

They probably made it just flame retardant enough to not get fined
>>
Because it's Japanese.
>>
>>3360595
They're Japanese. After some time they revert to their native color.
>>
>>3360595
Because it's made from cheap recycled plastic like everything else Nintendo makes.
>>
>>3360615

My Wii survived a house fire. Still works, and when I wiped away the soot, it was and still is, the same white color.

Did they change the kind of plastic they use?
>>
>>3362747
thanks for the laugh friend
>>
>>3362776
The Wii has an enamel coating; the SNES doesn't.
>>
>>3360823
Possibly. I have two minis and neither of them has yellowed.
>>
>All these posts pointing the finger at Nintendo when Saturns do it too.
>All these people shilling Retro Bright when you can use any Hydrogen Peroxide solution to fix the problem.

You faggots need to learn to use Google.
>>
>>3360595
Buy salon Vol 40
Put on plastic like gel
Put in clear bag
put in sun
wait 2 hoours
rinse repeat
>>
>>3361437
I appreciate the answer, I would thank you for it, but seeing as you are a tripfag, I can only say that I hope you kill yourself.
>>
>>3360793
1933?
>>
File: 1467466084871.jpg (61 KB, 599x600) Image search: [Google]
1467466084871.jpg
61 KB, 599x600
>>3362915
Just looked it up, yes it was 1933.
>>
>>3362886
My Saturn is black. I don't know what you are talking about. I do have a Dreamcast that is yellowing, though.
>>
>>3362929
Also, DMG Gameboys are susceptible to yellowing.
>>
>>3361903
>don't poor coffee on SNES or blow tobacco smoke on it
>it still turns yellow
>>
File: Not Yellow.jpg (2 MB, 3796x2894) Image search: [Google]
Not Yellow.jpg
2 MB, 3796x2894
Original 1991 North American SNS-001 (from the typical bundle with two controllers and Super Mario World). No discoloration.
>>
>>3363439
Ultraviolet light will discolor them too.
>>
>>3364282

Oxygen too.
So unless you play in the dark in a vacuum...
>>
>>3363478
mines still white too. I have the one from the super gameboy bundle
>>
>>3363478
My PAL one is still white.

Also, you slide the reset button up on the US one? Never knew that. It just gets worse...
>>
>>3362886
>All these people shilling Retro Bright
It's a free recipe available online.

How the fuck do you shill a recipe?
>>
>>3364931
Younglings can make anything mean what they want.
>>
>>3360595
Bromide in the plastic.
>>
>>3364354
It also gets really flimsy with use. I own two units, and in one of them the spring got so loose it only works about 1/3 of the time.
>>
>>3362747
haw
>>
>>3360595
why would you want to? that coffee color palette looks fucking dope
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.