[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Claymates!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 8
File: Claymates.jpg (48 KB, 640x454) Image search: [Google]
Claymates.jpg
48 KB, 640x454
Claymates!
>>
I remember really liking this game! Like, a lot, when I was little. One of those games where it was so weird, but it was bright, and a fun platformer. Really unique!

Then I played it again and wondered how my kid self had the patience to get to almost the last world, and my critical side began to set in on the um, interesting design. Oh also getting a new form only to get hit like right after and lose it.
>>
>>3352467
>>3353415
I rented Claymates around 5 times from the video store as a kid. Pretty hard difficulty. But I really did enjoy the art and music. jumping is a little off however. I also played ClayFighter as a kid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bwooe8iIUU&list=PL6D0EB67C2E3C1161
>>
File: SNES--Claymates_Sep25 18_17_04.png (20 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
SNES--Claymates_Sep25 18_17_04.png
20 KB, 256x224
>>3353415
>>3353479

The game has a lot of charm indeed, and I loved using the different animals, especially the rat (BLAZE PROCESSING, seriously that shit was fast), but the problem was the level design. You couldn't really enjoy the speed because the levels have this annoying maze design that warp you from one point to another all the time.

I never really completed the game as a kid, the ocean levels were too much for my kid self. A shame because the japan levels are actually more fun.

And yeah, that map screen music is so soothing, brings back a lot of warm memories.

You know what my actual favorite part of the game was? the bonus stage where you need to bound on a check board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phYXURHF-9M

(skip to 9:15 here).

That was actually fun, but too short, would have loved a game mode consisting of only those bonus levels.
>>
>>3353525
>You know what my actual favorite part of the game was? the bonus stage
Ohh yes I agree. Always liked this, even if it was kinda hard for me to get to back in the day. You're also right about the level design, I hate to be anal about a unique game but it really doesn't let all the abilities shine. Hell it's a chore to get through in the default form...

This game also unearthed practically a trope I just love in videogames.
>Kid/teen has their relative/partner kidnapped
>They just gotta go out and fucking get em back
>Like, right now
This, Pitfall for Genesis and Nosferatu come to mind. Dunno if that's just childlike wonder that never went away, like "hey, a kid just like me on an adventure!" but I always love that shit.
>>
Any other good clay games?
>>
File: bound high.png (13 KB, 294x171) Image search: [Google]
bound high.png
13 KB, 294x171
>>3353525
If you like those bonus levels you will love bound high for vb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ-bV6y-gJI

>>3355621
ClayFighter 64 is good. The Neverhood. Skullmonkeys. Platypus. Kirby Rainbow Curse.
>>
File: claymatesboss.jpg (12 KB, 256x223) Image search: [Google]
claymatesboss.jpg
12 KB, 256x223
>>3355731

Oh yeah, Bound High looks really fun, I do have a VB but I need to get a flashboy.

>>3353590
>This game also unearthed practically a trope I just love in videogames.
StarTropics also does this.
>>
>>3356250
That dog boss is unsettling.
>>
File: HHA.jpg (191 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
HHA.jpg
191 KB, 1280x720
>>3355621
Harley's Humongous Adventure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAH9JMxucxw
>>
File: 37554-Skullmonkeys_[NTSC-U]-6.jpg (127 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
37554-Skullmonkeys_[NTSC-U]-6.jpg
127 KB, 540x405
>>3355621
Skullmonkeys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXn_cUmi_Lg
>>
>>3355621
Trog! Arcade
>>
File: 8145041_orig.jpg (46 KB, 232x480) Image search: [Google]
8145041_orig.jpg
46 KB, 232x480
>>3355621
Primal Rage.
Rampage World Tour looks like clay but I think its 3d prerendered.
>>
>>3352467

This was the first SNES game that ever crashed for me on a physical copy, after years of renting games. Like it just hard froze and dumped some code output about where the error was.
>>
>>3355731
You mean 63 1/3
>>
>>3353415

I thought it was soooo ahead of its time. The taffy guy looked like real clay!!! I picked it up again a year ago and couldn't understand what I saw in it lol.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.