[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bursting the Retro Bubble?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: bubble.jpg (52 KB, 412x364) Image search: [Google]
bubble.jpg
52 KB, 412x364
So I think we all generally agree current prices for retro games are shitty and over-inflated for various reasons.

So, someone was apparently able to drive the price of a cheap game pretty significantly by simply buying around 20 copies of the game on eBay and letting the site's suggested pricing take care of the rest. The video below has details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKHk5U8tmfw

Suppose a large group of people do similarly with other cheap games. Suddenly the market is full of overvalued games that can't match their demand. Speculation would peak and resellers and investors would bail on the market and prices would drop.

Is this a plausible scenario?
>>
No. Resellers will buy up every single reasonably priced copy of a demanded game - be it 20 or 200 of them. You cannot stop it.
>>
>>3348438
>Suppose a large group of people do similarly with other cheap games. Suddenly the market is full of overvalued games that can't match their demand. Speculation would peak and resellers and investors would bail on the market and prices would drop.
>Is this a plausible scenario?
Yes, but you give people too much credit. As long as there is someone willing to pay for a cart of some old game the market will be sustained.

There's always going to be someone who doesn't know any better and that's who resellers bank their success on. Stop paying outrageous prices and jews will go away.
>>
>>3348457
>>3348518
Neither of your conclusions make sense and you're giving the resellers too much credit. I guess you're content with the way things are, or resellers.
>>
>>3350968
>I guess you're content with the way things are
Well yeah I am, we have emulators and flashcarts. I'm not losing sleep over not having some cart of Earthbound or Rescue Dino and Hoppy or whatever the fuck. You're late to this thing and should have bought when it was cheap. Get over it.

if people hadn't been so inclined to let resellers rape them in the past, they wouldn't have gotten the leverage they have now. Hate the prices? Make a statement by not giving them your money and inform others to do the same. At the same time, if you want to collect games cheaply, do thorough searches, go to yard sales/thrift stores/flea markets and etc.

tl;dr quit crying
>>
>>3350980
>we have emulators and flashcarts.
Which is far from perfect or all-encompassing.
>You're late to this thing and should have bought when it was cheap. Get over it.
Nope, in fact most of what I have I got in the late 90s-early 00s. But I still make new discoveries like anyone else.

>if people hadn't been so inclined to let resellers rape them in the past, they wouldn't have gotten the leverage they have now. Hate the prices? Make a statement by not giving them your money and inform others to do the same.
Congrats, you apparently have the economic knowledge of a middle-schooler.
>At the same time, if you want to collect games cheaply, do thorough searches, go to yard sales/thrift stores/flea markets and etc.
I really doubt you do this, lucky finds have dropped drastically in recent years and its rare to find one of those sales that doesn't think their copy of Mario/Duck Hunt is worth its weight in gold.

>tl;dr quit crying
What are you even talking about? I throw out a simple hypothetical situation and you sperg out with shit that literally makes no sense.
>>
>>3350980
Pretty much this. If you just want to play the games, get a flashcart or emulate. The market's not worth bothering with unless you're putting the finishing touches on a collection you've been building for years.
>>
>>3351036
>I'm not happy with your realistic outlook on things so I'm just going to say you don't make any sense and call you a middle-schooler
You don't have to pay those shitty prices, you can turn around and find better deals elsewhere or emulate! Stop being so close-minded

you're not going to convince these people to sell to you cheaply, so save yourself the trouble and pay them no mind. Once again, stop crying
>>
>>3351037
I wish this was the case for everything, but emulation and flashcarts are still limited.

>>3351048
You don't have a "realistic outlook" if you think "boycott/spread the word" really does anything in a situation like this. Like it was mentioned earlier (maybe even by you), "there's always going to be someone who doesn't know any better and that's who resellers bank their success on," which is true UNTIL speculation hits a peak and resellers start losing money. Happened to baseball cards, guitars, comics, among other things, all under similar circumstances as what's happening with retro games right now. The entire premise of my thread had nothing to do with "paying shitty prices" or "convincing resellers to sell to me cheaply."
>>
>>3351098
Well we don't live in a just world and the only way your hypothetical bubble burst would happen is if either A) we all nuke each other or B) we all stand up at exactly the same time and never buy another used game again

but B) will never happen because that one guy just loves having the real thing. Sure I was a bit rude to assume you just wanted cheap games but how are you going to say my points have no relation in regard to your thread? In the end, nobody really has to buy anything from these dicks.
>>
You can’t stop reseller scum from wreaking havoc on brand new games. How do you expect to stop it with old ones?

The hobby is filled with assholes like no other. Even those dumb big head toys can’t compete with how fast shit sells out with Video games. Look at the Wii U shit.

The ONLY thing that could stop it is ebay.
>>
The bubble will burst. Resellers depend on cheap games that are bought from people that don't know any better. With the supply of cheap games at yardsales drying up, resellers won't be able to make a profit. That alone will be enough to force many out of the market.

As prices rise, the amount of people willing to pay for the real thing falls. Eventually, people will stop buying almost entirely. Bubbles burst if the product/service in question isn't selling, and that is exactly what will happen in this case. The only question is when it will happen.
>>
>>3348438
>oh this thread again
Poor babies give me the giggles. Their economics fail logic gives me the giggles even more.
>>
>>3351036
>flashcarts
>far from perfect
LOLWHAT
because its not the same as instantly inspecting whats avaiable on the shelf and inserting a piece of plastic on the console?
>>
>>3351282
I hope so. I wonder how long it will take.
>>
>>3350968
No. You're the one giving them too much credit. Resellers are retarded. That is why they're trying to get rich on retro vidya rather than investing their money in places with higher payout.
>>
>>3348438
Fucking people sell SMW for 30 fucking 5 dollars. The fucking pack in game.

It's incredible.
>>
You could just play them on ROMs
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.