[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have found a old pc (pic related from when he was used) and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: DSC05620.jpg (133 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
DSC05620.jpg
133 KB, 640x480
I have found a old pc (pic related from when he was used) and the case is so cool that I'm thinking about building a old pc on it...I'm thinking something about a pentium III with windows 98 ans a 3dfx gpu...what you guys think should be the specs? Building a old pc is worth it?
>>
>>3345215
It's worth it if you have the room for it. I have a windows 98 machine my spare room, and it's a lot of fun. I wouldn't build a retro PC though, I would go to a computer recycling place and just pick something up.

Also you can still get a lot of computer stuff from that era for basically free nowadays, which is nice.
>>
>>3345215
>and the case is so cool that I'm thinking about building a old pc on it
It looks like a standard 4U 19" rack-mountable server case.
Probably ATX so you could fit most mainboards made between 1996 and today.
>>
File: tumblr_nslbulnS9f1tigc1po1_500.jpg (33 KB, 420x485) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nslbulnS9f1tigc1po1_500.jpg
33 KB, 420x485
Yeah that's just a rackmount case, nothing really special. You can of course put old 90's guts in there. The fan might be loud though. I once used a Pentium II era server as my desktop for a couple months, and the noise was insane. Well it probably didn't help that it had SCSI-2 UW disks (spinning at like 15k rpm?), but I think even just the fan was pretty damn loud compared to normal desktop machine.

Anyway pic is more typical of old desktop machine. I think this one's a Wang 286 clone, but the 90's desktop cases didn't look all that much different, except having 3.5-inch floppy drive and CDROM instead of those 5.25-inch floppy drives. Early 90's cases often had both type of floppy drives, since that was the transitional period.
I think that button above the LEDs in the middle might be turbo button. Even my 486DX/33 case had one of those, and I've seen quite a few Pentium systems with one as well.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.