[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I dunno about the whole "Inafune didn't create Mega
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9
File: latest[2].png (772 KB, 854x588) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].png
772 KB, 854x588
I dunno about the whole "Inafune didn't create Mega Man" thing that I seem to keep seeing lately, though. Kitamura did make a sprite of Mega Man first, it's true, but Inafune designed what we now think of as Mega Man today in official art, based off of that sprite. Had it been anyone else, Mega Man could have looked very different. Just look at how the Mega Man from Captain N turned out based on someone else's interpretation of the in-game sprite with nothing else to go on. So at the very least, I think Inafune should at least be credited as co-creator, if nothing else, even if people are really upset with him as of late.
>>
Shitting on Inafune has become a meme. A lot of people who dump on him probably have only a vague idea of who he is, just that he is hated and therefore they should hate him as well. And, I completely agree with you. He did do a lot of illustration for the series and played a part in the iconic art style. He also gave us Zero. The way some talk about it you'd think that he had no involvement with the franchise besides "taking credit" and having his name slapped on the game. I wonder how many people shit on Disney saying "NUH-UH you don't deserve any credit, Disney company! Snow White was a story BEFORE you made your conartist hack job movie!"
>>
Disney has consistently made my least favorite adaptations of the Grimm's Fairytales tbqhwy famicom

(my favorite is actually an extremely hard to find adaptation of the Golden Bird made in the early 80s in Japan, though all I can find now is a trimmed down Finnish dub)
>>
I agree, god bless his soul, i am going to buy ten Mighty No 9 copies to show gratitude to this great man.
http://shmuplations.com/megaman/
>>
>>3318487
You got a link to any info about this Golden Bird film?
>>
>>3318525
Nvm, it's this: http://myanimelist.net/anime/3760/Grimm_Douwa__Kin_no_Tori
>>
>>3318518

Without Inafune, there is no mega man.
>>
>look mom! I'm reposting this from /v/!
>>
Inafune IS a creator and director. It was his decision that made X the protagonist of the X series, rather than Zero. He's the one who directed the team behind X5 to make it as if it was the last game in the series. He worked on the scenario for Mega Man Zero. Nothing in comparison to what Kamiya has done, but it's not like he's a banker. He's an artist and has the ability to be a creator/director, just like Tetsuya Nomura ended up being for Square.

The only reason people say he didn't create Mega Man is because people don't WANT to say he did, because at this point they think he's a hack and will use any evidence they can to discredit him. Kitamura may have done the base sprite, but it was done in black & white, on graph (pixel) paper. It was Inafune's decision (again) to make Mega Man blue, as he's said multiple times. It was ultimately his job to take Kitamura's sprite and translate it to the NES using the best colors available, which happened to be blue. And given he did all official artwork of the character and did designs for all of Mega Man's other sprites...yeah, it's fair to call him co-creator.
>>
kitamura made a sprite. An NES sprite can be interpreted to look any which way on paper. Inafune is a pretty significant part of megaman's creation since his job was to take the sprites and give them a pencil and ink illustration.

that said, he's always denied creating megaman anyway. But back then noone believed him over here because lol those japanese and their wacky humble ways.
>>
Do you think they just made the sprite up out of thin air? There'/'s lots of deign work that goes on before any pixels are drawn. Hell, there's even design drawings for the enemies of Space Invaders. People really don't seem to understand how game development worked back then. It shows in that people post illustrations and call them "concept art" and act like that's how the characters are "supposed to look".
>>
>>3319793
>It shows in that people post illustrations and call them "concept art" and act like that's how the characters are "supposed to look".

but that is how the character is supposed to look dummie.
>>
>>3319893
That's like saying that a movie poster is how a movie is "supposed to look" rather than the actual sets and props used in the movie.
>>
>>3319692
B-b-but muh Kickstarter conman talentless hack KAMIYA TWEET meme!
>>
>>3319896
the people who who spout this stuff aren't entirely baseless though

Inafune has failed in maintaining professionalism as of late, it's okay to fail occasionally, but to do it in the way he did is something that should not be seen from a Japanese game dev.
>>
All SNES Mega Man games are not canon so he has nothing to do with Mega Man. Mega Man exists in one's mind, derived from experience with NES titles.
>>
>>3318409
The drama comes from how Inafune has shown himself to have very little understanding of what actually makes Mega Man.

He's a good artist and many of his creative decisions back when he worked with the Classic, X and Legends games have helped shape the franchise into what it is today but his lack of professionalism, disastrous independent projects and milking of the Mega Man fanbase have soured his image so much that nobody wants to acknowledge that role in the series. Much like how a lot of Star Wars fans played down Lucas' role after the prequels and gave more credit to the people surrounding him during the making of the original trilogy, and I honestly can't blame them. He's completely destroyed the good will surrounding him and comes off as arrogant these days.
>>
>>3319692
>He's the one who directed the team behind X5 to make it as if it was the last game in the series.

If I feel any hatred towards this Inafune guy, this is the reason. I fucking hated X5.
>>
>>3320084
>The drama comes from how Inafune has shown himself to have very little understanding of what actually makes Mega Man.

Inafune has zero under standing of game design. At the very least you'd think he would have hired people who did. But no, MN9's directors are just two "literally who" types with no experience.

>disastrous independent projects

He's showing himself to be a really terrible businessman. Which is kind of important if you're a CEO and Producer.
>>
File: tumblr_nj9ixz8n9m1sbzuqfo2_1280.jpg (269 KB, 750x534) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nj9ixz8n9m1sbzuqfo2_1280.jpg
269 KB, 750x534
>>3320969
>Inafune has zero under standing

Very interesting choice of words.

Inafune worked closely on the Megaman Zero and ZX games, right? And those were awesome. I think like another anon said, we just have a classic example of George Lucas Syndrome; another old man who's gotten more arrogant with his age, and thinks he can do no wrong.
>>
>>3321423

Inafune is a producer. He made Zero, and seems to have wanted to make him the star of the series while pushing Mega Man out. He was the producer for the Zero series. But he didn't make them.

>George Lucas Syndrome

Would be applicable if Inafune was a director.
>>
>>3319692
He wanted Zero to be the protagonist in MMX, and the original scenario for MMZ was going to literally be his "OC DONUT STEEL" killing the actual X because X was going to be really evil. It was everyone else on the team vetoing that shit.

He is a hack that has a lust for his shitty OC.
>>
Inafune did have a lot of creative control over everything outside the first few games, but you underestimate how much Kitamura put into the first two games.
>>
>>3321867

1-2 are his games. And every game is highly derivative of those.
>>
>>3318409
Inafune drew the sprite and the artwork.
Kitamura only gave the order of designing Mega Man on the vague description "It has to look good with what can be done on the Famicom hardware".

Inafune drew the sprite and the color blue was chosen from the Famicom's pallete and his design came to be from the Famicom's limitations.
>>
>>3319749
>that said, he's always denied creating megaman anyway. But back then noone believed him over here because lol those japanese and their wacky humble ways.

This. I clearly remember in the interview that comes with the Anniversary Collection him saying:

>"They call me the creator of Mega Man, but I'm really not. Mega Man created me and my career."

And mentioned that "his senior" was the creator of the character's concept.
>>
>>3318423
I agree, I mean don't get me wrong mighty no. 9 did suck, but shitting on inafune is the new version of shitting on sonic.
>>
>>3322947
I do wonder how many who spread le Japanese Kickstarter Conman stuff have ever played a MegaMan game.
>>
>>3322947
what sucked about mighty no 9? I mean I'm sure it does but all anyone talks about is Inafune's disastrous business deals and his incompetence rather than the actual game in question. I am curious why people think its so bad
>>
File: angry frog.png (217 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
angry frog.png
217 KB, 680x680
>>3322963
A friend of mine hates it because "it's hard and full of cheap deaths like the NES Megaman games".
>>
>>3322963
It's trying to hard to focus on things like combos, speed, and score rather than focusing on what MegaMan really was about with level design and bosses.
>>
>>3319595
How come?
>>
File: Mega Man Stretch.gif (1 MB, 474x289) Image search: [Google]
Mega Man Stretch.gif
1 MB, 474x289
>>3322963
Personally, I liked the game

It's no ground-breaking game that people expected, it's not that bad either, it is pretty hard and expects you to memorize stages like NES games did.

It just exists, it's just alright like Mega Man 6.
>>
>>3322963
Horrible level design. It's hard but it's the bad kind of hard. Megaman is hard but fair. MN9 is hard because of shit design.
>>
The original Mega Man idea was from Akira Kitamura and was
molded by he and his team, included hackfune (wich also did
the kick ass art for Breath of Fire I and II) who draw Mega Man
on paper based on the sprites from the game that Kitamura draw.
That's it, the father of the original idea was Kitamura included
the original design for Mega Man, Inafune only draw Mega Man
on paper, something that anybody could had done.
>>
>>3323041
Looking at other illustrations and western depictions of MegaMan, I'd argue that no, not anyone could have done it.
>>
File: megaman 3 nintendo power.jpg (422 KB, 1190x1600) Image search: [Google]
megaman 3 nintendo power.jpg
422 KB, 1190x1600
>>3323041
>>3323108
Do we really have to post the Bad Boxart for the Millionth time?

Or Mega Man 3's, even?

Not only that, let's remember Inafune, when he drew the sprite in an actual computer, had to choose Mega Man's iconic blue because blue variations had the largest pallete out of the famicom
>>
>>3323112
>Americans in charge of good character design.
>>3323112
Akira Kitamura was the one who draw the fucking sprite.
>>
File: Mega Man 3 Nintendo Power.jpg (428 KB, 1280x1711) Image search: [Google]
Mega Man 3 Nintendo Power.jpg
428 KB, 1280x1711
>>3323148
On white paper, with black ink. Inafune choose the "base" palette.
>>
>>3323165
>On white paper, with black ink. Inafune choose the "base" palette.
Just stop and go to the part that says Creating Mega Man:
>>
>>3322986
I found that the problem is that despite that supposedly being the focus, except the cases where you get the red power up, the system slows the game down more than even a regular megaman title since you have to shoot, dash into the enemies, change direction backwards then shoot again and dash again.
>>
>>3322880

since there's a lot of confusion on who did what, I made this collage of Kitamura and Inafune discussion the creation of Mega Man.
>>
>>3322971
>A friend of mine hates it because "it's hard and full of cheap deaths like the NES Megaman games".

Mega Man games aren't full of cheap deaths though.
>>
File: Hideki Kamiya tweet collage.png (452 KB, 1490x1065) Image search: [Google]
Hideki Kamiya tweet collage.png
452 KB, 1490x1065
>>3318409
>>
>>3323112

The Westerners are clueless old guys who had no connection with the game. Inafune was part of the team and drew what he was told to by the rest of the team. Any other artist in Japan could do what he did since they too would be in touch with the team. It's not some magic. Rockman's design is pretty simple. Make 60's anime style drawings based on these simpled designs.

>On white paper, with black ink. Inafune choose the "base" palette.

Inafune did not choose the blue color. Kitamura sites that "we" made the decision, in refernce to the entire team and does not say exactly who came up with it. Kitamura made the static Mega Man sprite. He was a pixel artist for the game as well as director. Inafune and the rest of the team created animations for Mega Man. Inafune's contributions to MM1 are very minimal, and he joined the team late.
>>
File: Kitamura and Inafune 2.png (2 MB, 2639x850) Image search: [Google]
Kitamura and Inafune 2.png
2 MB, 2639x850
>>3325041

Made a larger one that covers the blue part too.
>>
megaman was the cod of the 80s
>>
>>3322963
Basically what >>3322986 said. It wants to be a fast paced game about comboes and dashing, but it also wants to be a Megaman game, and the two design philosophies are constantly at odds with each other. It makes for a very clunky, poorly thought out game.
>>
>>3319692
Inafune NEVER directed a single game in his entire life. X also was never his idea for the main character, but the character he designed to later be Zero. Hayato Kaji, who did the art for Mega Man VII not too long after designed X as Inafune did not want to.

Infact, Inafune seldom designed after Mega Man 2 and 3. Or fuck, even did art.
>>
>>3320084
>He's a good artist and many of his creative decisions back when he worked with the Classic, X and Legends games have helped shape the franchise into what it is today
Dead?
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.