[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So can someone tell me how to git gud at this game? Or do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: Fftbox.jpg (94 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Fftbox.jpg
94 KB, 256x256
So can someone tell me how to git gud at this game?

Or do you really have to just keep grinding for hours at a time to get to the next boss?
>>
>Or do you really have to just keep grinding for hours
You're missing the "strategy" aspect it seems.
>>
>>3280639
>>3280659
Get the following abilities on every character:

>Squire: Move+1
>Chemist: Auto-Potion
Throw away all potions lower than the highest rank (Potion < High Potion < X-Potion)
>Chemist: Item
>Chemist: Throw Item

Congratulations. You've just set yourself up to be virtually unkillable, and in the event someone does die, you can easily ressurect them.

Pro-tips:
>Armor is grossly outclassed by clothing.
Armor sucks a big limp dick in this game. Clothing usually has useful statuses starting in Chapter 2. +1 PA, or +1 speed is well worth the -20 or so health.

>Keep Back up saves every time you're about to enter a castle

This is going to help later on as there are a handful of levels that are considered "ridiculous" and you get locked into a situation where you have to do the battle, and can't go shop or fight random battles.

>Don't bother mastering classes
It's not even close to required. Get enough JP on Archer and Thief to unlock Ninja, then dump them as they're garbage jobs.

I would just try and get enough JP to learn Move+2.

>Recruit all the special characters you get
Mustadio isn't particularly useful but having him in your roster is required for the sidequests.
>>
>>3280670
inclined to disagree about mustadio. later you can steal (or buy?) guns that shoot elements that do a lot of damage, and he can cripple enemies.

everything else he says is dead on, but i'd consider keeping a save file duplicate for ALL battles.
>>
>>3280659
There is no strategy in this game though. You really do have to keep grinding.
>>
>>3281158
You can speed run this game in like 7 hours.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-09-22-16-22.png (535 KB, 1024x600) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-09-22-16-22.png
535 KB, 1024x600
How am I doing?
>>
File: Munk.jpg (365 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Munk.jpg
365 KB, 1920x1080
>>3280639
You don't really need to grind to beat FFT. Just make a couple monks with 2 swords and blade grasp. Raise their brave with cheer up and lower their faith with the mediator's talk skill. Beat the game with pic related.
>>
I cheated. I used Gameshark to make my whole party level 99. I have no regrets because fuck this game and its 15 minute battles.
>>
>>3281167
Doing good. Put those red chocos to use, Choco Meteor is ridiculous.
>>
>>3281273
Have fun with those lvl 99 chocobos and not having any job skills. Your ass is grass.
>>
>>3281276
This. If you're up against a yellow choco and it gets itself into a corner, you're gonna get softlocked.

Learn to play the game, faggot. It's not an action RPG.
>>
>>3281276
>>3281281
Well I beat the game this way to IDGAF
>>
>>3280639
Read that turn order

Make sure most of your units have jump+1 and move+1 and alternate between them as the map requires

Try giving concentrate to a melee class

Try giving weapon breaking to a ranged class

Stealing from enemies can allow you to gain overpowered gear early before it becomes available in shops

Have someone who can poach and make sure to deploy them in random battles

Blade grasp on a high brave character makes them virtually untouchable except by spells, summons, and sword skills

The enemy can see their odds of hitting you, but they can't see any counter abilities you have equipped, and will walk into battle even if a counter hit would get them killed.

Hamedo sounds useful, but isn't worth it. It doesn't work on non-human enemies and it has much much lower odds of triggering than counter does

successfully performing an action earns you job points for the job you have assigned, not the job the actions originate from. Casting black magic as a knight will get you knight JP, not black Mage JP. Get squire's accumulate and put basic skill in your second ability slot while assigned another job to easily grind points for that job.

Every time someone gains JP, a small amount (10-20%) of JP for their assigned job will bleed over to all other units they're deployed with. You can grind JP in any job by deploying with people who have that job, but you still can't be assigned that job or spend the JP until you fulfill the prerequisite levels required to unlock that job in the first place.
>>
>>3280639
Usually to make it easier I would have beefier units like knights/lancers with skills from other classes like counter, teleport, dual wield,jump. You always should have a person with pheonix downs or some sort of revival.

from my playthroughs I stayed away from magic as it took too much time and casters are usually squishy with lower hp. Later on in the game you get the thundergod cid and he brakes the game completely.

The main thing is to read class skills and grind. You can be as fancy as possible with your setups, just keep in mind most of the attacks are simple melee and usually monsters will use status effects.

its great for multiple playthroughs
>>
>>3280639
Don't advance in battles. Keep your team together and wait. Enemies will come almost one by one close to you and you and your team will beat them easily.

I used to grind a little. I keep fighting in Mandalia Plains until my team reach level 10 ( but being more defensive, I mean, letting the enemy come to me, I beat first chapter on level 7)

I use more knigths in the first chapter, one black mage and make sure everybody knows, potion and phoenix down at least. I use one Archer too I like to put him in auto battle. It's good to make all team learn "jp up" on the squire job too.

Make sure to always use potion in everybody, even if it's an small damage. You never know what could happen. Use even more if there are mages in other team.

I am on chapter 2 one battle to beat it. Didn't lose one single battle yet

Hope it helps you, anon!
>>
>>3281167
You're at the fun part anon, get the Two swords ability and the movement from the ninja's and go enjoy yourself with another melee class.
(I like doing monks with two swords ability to punch twice, chakra was really useful and they have some ranged abilities that don't take forever to cast). The worst class is probably archer, followed by black mage. I never had much success with non-time mage casters.

Also congrats on resisting the urge to use storyline characters, I never used mustadio myself, but he's really fucking good. and I see cid down there at the bottom.

I also never liked using chocobos or I believe you can tame dragons too, but dreaded everytime I saw a black or red one in a random battle.
>>
The enemy AI is a bastard but if you know its tendencies it can be predicted and even tricked

An enemy who is at critical HP will prioritize running away and healing over attacking your units. If there is no one around that can heal the wounded enemy, you can forget about him and prioritize the enemies who are still actively hostile.

When attacking, enemies will prioritize the unit in their range that has the lowest health. You can bait out their attacks with a low HP "decoy" character, but this uses up a valuable unit slot.

When charging spells or ranged attacks, in addition to targeting low HP characters, the AI also seems to prioritize characters who have just moved and will not have another turn for a while, so they will not be able to move out of the way before the spell fires.

The enemy will always go for the sure thing, it will always go for the kill.

If you aim a black magic spell or a charged ranged attack on a tile, the enemy will never move onto those tiles before the spell fires. You can use this as a form of area denial, or charge a spell next to a wounded unit to prevent melee attackers from approaching that unit.

On the other hand, if you aim a white magic spell like cure on a tile, the enemy will race to get into the empty tiles and get healed. You can use this to bait the enemy into traps or lure them away from weak units

The enemy's objective seems more weighted towards "keep the player from winning" than to actual win the skirmish itself. When the enemy is strong and plentiful they will play aggressively and try to wipe you out, but when they're weak and running low on units they will try to drag out the battle and keep you from meeting your win condition as long as possible, avoiding you and snatching up crystals and treasure, anything to make your inevitable victory slightly worse.
>>
>>3281637
I find giving "brawler" to a ninja works better than giving "two swords" to a monk.

You get the same double punching attacks, but ninjas are a little faster and have more movement range, and they can also wear hats
>>
Who is the best monster companion and why is it based Red Chocobo?
>>
Man, I don't even know where to begin - a lot of you guys are not very good at min-maxing FFT.
>>
>>3281697

My nigga

I'm not saying 4 Red Chocobos + Gun Chemist Ramza is best team. I'm just saying if there's a problem in FFT that can't be solved with 4 Choco Meteors and a boolet per round, I never found it.
>>
OP here, thanks for all the advice!

I really do want to enjoy this game because I want to have the experience. I remember having WOTL as a kid for my PSP and I loved the shit out of it but I never beat it.

I've never managed to git gud at these type of tactical strategy games so I always thought this was baby's first along with shit like advance wars and fire emblem. Both of which are fun as fuck but I suck balls at.

To my credit, I really only play retro vidya on my phone anymore because I'm a wageslave cuck who's been working about 50-60ish hours a week and I dont ever have time to dedicate to games anymore

besides video games suck nowadays
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.