[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>collecting is so expensive >emulating feels so fake Are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 14
File: file.jpg (295 KB, 2592x1552) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
295 KB, 2592x1552
>collecting is so expensive
>emulating feels so fake
Are flashcarts literally the perfect point in between?
>>
Aside from having to wait for 100% compatibility, and the price/quality angle, yes.
>>
Perfect, no but it does give you most of the advantages
>>
>>2805507
>aside from having 100% compatibility
most of them are pretty close honestly.
Genesis flashcart can't play 3 games(?), unless you get the expensive one.
Beggar Prince, Pier Solar, and Virtua Racing.
NES one has pretty high compatibility, just doesn't work on a few koei strat games that are also on different consoles.
PC engine has every game except SF2
SD2SNES has a good list except a good 8 or so games that they are trying to program.

Also not a flashcart but Pseudo saturn and the one light grey 4 in 1 AR has literally almost 100% compatibility, it can't play 2 games correctly(?), which are Croc and something no one cares about.
>>
>>2805507

oh no... you mean that 50 out of 1000 games won't work? whatever shall we do?? for the price, a flashcart is totally worth it. yes. you can then go buy original carts of mariokart and megamanx2 if needed.
>>
>>2805527
but megaman x2 and mario kart work with the sd2snes
>>
Find some friends who share the hobby who will let you play their games
>>
>>2805534
>letting other scrubs play your games
no thanks doritos fingers, I don't need your grimey hands on my US copy of Hagane.
>>
I like how the mods deleted the collectors vs emulators thread earlier this morning.

Gave me a little bit of hope.
>>
>>2805541
Difference:
Collectors have a form of nostalgia for games, and want to collect what they wanted in their childhood.
Emulating people just want to play the fucking games as cheap as possible.
I use hardware with flashcarts and mods because fuck paying top dollar for good games.
>>
>>2805524
Turbo Everdrive v.1.1 allegedly does SF2.
I can't try it though, I got a v.1.0 since it was cheaper and I already owned SF2 on HuCARD anyway.
>>
>>2805575
Huh it does?
Thanks for the heads up, i've got v1.2
>>
>>2805541
Hope floats, anon. We all float down here.
>>
>>2805575
It does, yes, that was the first game I tested it with.
>>
>>2805505
If emulating feels fake then you're doing it wrong desu.
>>
>>2805575
>>2805580
Did I say v1.1?
After looking things up it seems I got my versions mixed up and it's by v2 it can do SF2. I might still be wrong though.

Anyway I got the v1 (old stock) from Krikkz's store.
>>
>>2805591
Ah, Yeah you did, I got excited for a minute, oh well, I have SF2 on literally every other console so yeah
>>
>emulating feels so fake

My favorite meme.
>>
>>2805524
>>2805527
I know. You both realize I was still agreeing, right? Calm down.
>>
>>2805593
Feels inauthentic in more precise.
>>
>>2805593
Sorry to break it to you, but some of us have autism, including me. I can't play emulators they don't give me the same feel.
>>
>>2805597
i'm
>>2805524
I was just saying the few games you couldn't play, even then they are worth it.
>>
>>2805593
I need to use the official pad for the system the game is running in, play everything on my old crt and physically see the console, otherwise it wouldn't feel real. Also seeing white noise before I turn the console on is a must.
>>
>>2805607
I can't sleep without a white noise machine. Ever dabbled, anon?
>>
>>2805593
Emulators have either lag, maligned cycle timings, or both.

That said, it shouldn't matter to most people. But for the diehard, they can tell.

>>2805505
Mostly, yes. However, my favorite games are Kirby Superstar and Mario RPG.
>>
File: 1447897466417.jpg (17 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1447897466417.jpg
17 KB, 400x400
>>2805620
You can get it close enough it's impossible for the human eye/brain to tell. You can't tell the difference btw 58 frames per second and 60 no matter how autistic you are.
>>
>>2805607
>seeing white noise before turning on the console
you use RF?
>>
>>2805625

Are you kidding? 2 frames is a massive amount in anything that isn't a turn based game.

Do you think that a 58fps fighting game would ever be acceptable?
>>
>>2805634
you can't tell the difference... What's that add up to one less time over the course of a minute at best?
>>
>>2805639
*blinking one less time.

You don't count your blinks.
>>
>>2805634
Lotsa arcade games are synced at something ridiculous like that. Your precious r-type 2 and donpachi are both 57fps.
>>
>>2805627
I sure do. I don't give a crap about making the games look hurrr duur dabest, I just want them to look like they would have looked for me if I played them 25 years ago.
>>
>>2805639

You absolutely can. 144hz monitors are standard in competitive FPS. Any display with more than 16ms response time is considered too slow for gaming. There's been tons of research on human response time.
>>
>>2805625
Fine, I'll take the bait.

Lag is not "less frames", so no idea why you're bringing that up. Assuming game lag isn't bothersome, instable FPS is quite impactful to timing based games like fighters and shooters.
>>
>>2805648

That's not the same as playing a game that's supposed to be 60 at 58.
>>
>>2805524
W-wait, there's flash-carts for Saturn?

For real? Does that mean I can play Saturn games on a Saturn without having to buy expensive and hard to find discs?
>>
>>2805505
Pretty much yeah,I had a big collection at one point but after I bought some flashcarts it seemed pointless having the real games sitting on the shelf gathering dust so I sold nearly everything off,saved myself lot of money and de-cluttered my room,my only issue is that if you have a full romset on your cart you and up just cycling through games playing them for 5 mins each,still I wouldn't collect games ever again and with today's prices it doesn't make sense to even start a collection.
>>
>>2805657
Oh, whatever, keep moving the goalposts.
>>
File: serveimage (3).jpg (75 KB, 438x594) Image search: [Google]
serveimage (3).jpg
75 KB, 438x594
My 4k tv is better
>>
>>2805601
I'm autistic and I'm perfectly fine with some games not emulating perfectly.
>>
File: 207029734.jpg (32 KB, 408x539) Image search: [Google]
207029734.jpg
32 KB, 408x539
>>2805661
>>
>>2805658
It lets you play burnt discs on the Saturn. Pretty sure the cart slot on the Saturn can't handle enough data beans to be used to play games.
>>
>>2805667

You're the CWC/as seen on Hoarders bad kind of autistic, not the Bill Gates good kind that you can harness like a superpower.
>>
>>2805658
>Also, not a flashcart
Just buy the Grey 4 in 1 action replay from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Action-Replay-4M-Plus-enhancement-sega/dp/B008FPMBNG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447959977&sr=8-1&keywords=action+replay+4+in+1

You can disk swap a burnt disc of pseudo saturn w/ atlas, follow the instructions, and boom you can play burned discs, all of them except Croc and a few shitty titles that aren't worth 1 Cent per disc
>>
>>2805625
"Frames" when talking about emulation inaccuracy doesn't refer to display rate, it refers to the game update cycle. 'Time' passing in a game is measured in frames (which is often regulated by how fast the CPU can execute an instruction), as older consoles don't really have a notion of time itself.

The mechanics in action-heavy games relies heavily on this to be accurate. Emulators often can get "close enough" for most every game and most people, but if you're trying to do something incredibly difficult, like a speedrunning glitch/trick or a crazy fighting game combo, often you rely on frame-perfect timing -- that is, executing button presses at very specific frames.
>>
>>2805634
Lots of games (modern and retro) can flux between 58 fps and 61fps and you don't notice.
>>
>>2805684
>implying
>>
File: 1445320114188.gif (845 KB, 300x192) Image search: [Google]
1445320114188.gif
845 KB, 300x192
>>2805681
source?
>>
File: pipebomb.gif (2 MB, 490x390) Image search: [Google]
pipebomb.gif
2 MB, 490x390
>>2805675
>autistic
>doesn't really care about small details all that much compared to the guy who must have a period correct CRT
>LOL FUCKING CHRIS-CHAN
Get raped.
>>
>>2805686

What do you mean source? That's how it works. Have you ever played a fighting game? If you made it run at 120fps instead of 60 everything would be twice as fast and broken as shit.
>>
File: 1447871939918.jpg (110 KB, 413x331) Image search: [Google]
1447871939918.jpg
110 KB, 413x331
>>2805692
This nigga can't even source the shit he's making up.
>>
>>2805686
uhh... i dunno what kind of source you're looking for. I'm a computer engineer who has developed games as a hobby, and I watch a lot of speedruns, is that enough?
>>
>>2805691
Boy you sure proved me wrong with that totally not at all autistic outburst.
>>
>>2805694
Like a legitimate one kiddo.
>>
Did any of you guys expect a collecting versus emulating thread to be anything but trolling?
>>
>>2805676
Interesting.
That retailer doesn't ship that product to my country, but I'll consider it if I get a Saturn.
I'd like a black one, because I like how those look. Are there compatibility issues to think about?

Also, about burned discs, can I use just any disc media like DVDs and shit and it'll read it, or do I have to get period correct CDs?
Can I have multiple games on one discs with some kind of front-end like on flashcarts, or will the Saturn not have that?

Can the flash-cart thing be used as memory for game expansions and for saving data?

>>2805674
>Pretty sure the cart slot on the Saturn can't handle enough data beans to be used to play games.
That would make sense actually, I didn't stop to consider that the slot wasn't meant to put through that much shit at once.
>>
>>2805705
didn't even read the OP desu
>>
>>2805685
Given that it happens in the blink of an eye, you probably don't notice it.

>>2805697
Yeah, why would anyone take issue with being compared to Chris-chan? What a weirdo.
>>
File: 1311626491256.jpg (56 KB, 337x367) Image search: [Google]
1311626491256.jpg
56 KB, 337x367
>>2805701
alright, here's some reading on the relationship between a game loop and frame rate: http://www.brandonfoltz.com/downloads/tutorials/The_Game_Loop_and_Frame_Rate_Management.pdf

here's a decent article about why it's difficult to emulate the SNES properly:
http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/2712-why-perfect-hardware-snes-emulation-requires-a-3ghz-cpu/

if you need me to google some more common-knowledge bullshit for you, i'll be around.
>>
>>2805710
It's loosely disguised bait. I read it. OP started this thread immediately after his more obvious bait thread was deleted.
>>
File: 1447900078333.gif (1020 KB, 250x212) Image search: [Google]
1447900078333.gif
1020 KB, 250x212
>>2805714
You do realize the whole point of that faggot arguing with you was to make you do this. I'm sure he's not even going to read it. He just likes making you jump through hoops.
>>
>>2805718
eh, it's a good excuse to go brushing up on things. plus i bet there are some people here who would like to know how this all works.
>>
>>2805708
>I'd like a black one
If you are talking about saturns, there is no compatibility issue among them

if you are talking about cartridge, you want highest compatibility, the 4 in 1 action replay is the way to go.
>Can I use DVDs or do I need to get period correct CDs
just get CD-Rs, doesn't matter from when.
>Can the flashcart thing be used as memory for game expansion
It can be used as the 4mb chip and 1 mb chip, but after you flash that onto it, you cannot save on it.
>Multiple games on one disc.
Games are big, good luck fitting more than one on a single disk, even then it'd have a fit.
>>
OP, I hope you get AIDS for making a bait thread like this.
>>
File: 1447795416291.gif (137 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1447795416291.gif
137 KB, 250x250
>>2805730
>>
File: Saturn-system.jpg (44 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Saturn-system.jpg
44 KB, 480x360
>>2805729
>If you are talking about saturns, there is no compatibility issue among them
Oh, alright, I just remember reading that some variants of the Saturn weren't safe to chip for pirated discs.

I like the way the old Sega consoles looked, the black ones. Never had any growing up though.

>if you are talking about cartridge, you want highest compatibility, the 4 in 1 action replay is the way to go.
Yeah, I guess I'd want one of those.

>just get CD-Rs, doesn't matter from when.
I suppose it wouldn't know how to read DVD.
I guess if I pick up a

>It can be used as the 4mb chip and 1 mb chip, but after you flash that onto it, you cannot save on it.
Oh? But the onboard memory of the Saturn should be enough for some saves, right?
I recall reading there's some kind of hard-drive on the Saturn.
Can I have multiple expansion things on one cart?
Like one for Darkstalkers and one for another game, and this won't conflict?

>Games are big, good luck fitting more than one on a single disk, even then it'd have a fit.
I was thinking in terms of DVDs, but how big are Saturn games typically? How many hundred megabytes are they on average?
>>
>>2805790
Yes the saturn does have internal save, 500 blocks or so.

And no the expansion things on the cart won't conflict.

Saturn won't read DVDs but they are usually around 200mb to 600mb
>>
>>2805790
>big are Saturn games typically
in my recent downloads to setup my rhea i've noticed they vary from 150mb to cd cap (650/700mb)

obviously multidiscs are multidiscs and bigger in total size.
>>
>>2805808
Say that you fit a multi-disc game on one CD, how will the Saturn handle it? Will it skip the 'swap your disc' prompt or will I have to take the disk out and insert it again?
>>
>>2805505
Funnily enough, getting an original Everdrive for the MD costs more than original carts for all the games I'd bother playing on it.

Now, Saturn on the other hand...
>>
>>2805674
>Pretty sure the cart slot on the Saturn can't handle enough data beans to be used to play games.

It can address 128mb total (25 address pins on a 16bit bus), but I'm not sure how they are addressed internally on the SH2 and SCU.

However the SH2 can communicate with on-cart hardware so you can just put a microcontroller there and tell it to load data from 400-401mb, and the on-cart hardware would then load that. Either directly translating it to data pins or into on-cart memory.

Some Chinese dude wrote a buggy SD loader that way.
>>
>>2805661
Andy Kaufman is alive!
>>
>>2805790
>Oh, alright, I just remember reading that some variants of the Saturn weren't safe to chip for pirated discs.

Old modchips weren't compatible with all models, but recent ones are.

For games, there are maybe 3 or 4 games which have compatibility problems on some boards. From the top of my head:
- In the Hunt JP version supposedly only works on grey launch models (sometimes doesn't work on those either, no one knows, it is random),
- Soukyugurentai is glitchy on US Saturns if you load them by bypassing the region lock, it tries to load an incomplete localization from its arcade version
- Space Harrier and Outrun (JP versions) will lock up at the start on Saturns that don't have a discrete 68k sound cpu.

All of those games got reprints that fixed the problems, however.

>if you are talking about cartridge, you want highest compatibility, the 4 in 1 action replay is the way to go.

Pseudo Saturn is not fully compatible with all games. Highest compatibility would be region free bios + modchip. That leaves your cart slot free for games that require 4mb carts, games that glitch up on 4mb carts (including the Action Replay) and require 1mb ones instead, and you can also use a save cart or a netlink or the ROM carts for KOF95 and that shitty Ultraman game.

>Oh? But the onboard memory of the Saturn should be enough for some saves, right?

Yes, 32kbytes (461 blocks). But if you play many games it'll get filled up pretty quick. A save in Shining Force 3 is already something like 220 blocks. Nights also uses around that much, and so does VF2.
Plus it is battery backed, meaning it'll lose data after a year or two, so a save cart is a good investment.

>I recall reading there's some kind of hard-drive on the Saturn.

There are SD drives, yeah, by the same guy who did the Dreamcast SD loader. They are hard to get though since it is built in limited quantities.
>>
>>2805876
Pseudo saturn utilizes both the 4mb and 1mb part of the cartridge, and it has almost 100% compatibility now.

Was able to play an old burn of Panzer Dragoon Saga and Zwei and Batsugun without having to reburn and patch them
>>
>>2805819
how do you intend to fit a multi-disc game on a single disc? The CD format hasn't changed over the years or anything.
>>
>>2805790
>Can I have multiple expansion things on one cart?

Not unless you can build your own cart. And even then, some functions will conflict with others due to using unique IDs. Backup memory and RAM expansion for example will conflict with each other, you can only have one or the other.

The Action Replay 4 in 1 (with its original firmware) is the most multifunctional cart, since it can load imports, do cheats, functions as a RAM expansion, and it has an internal menu for saving games. But, it can only save games from its own boot menu. In-game it functions as a RAM cart only.
Also, it saves games next to its own firmware, so if something goes wrong with the cart connector, it can brick itself.

>how big are Saturn games typically? How many hundred megabytes are they on average?

Smallest official game I've seen was 4 mbyte (and half of that was the audio track warning...), while the largest was ~630mb uncompressed.

Or if you count multi-cd titles, there are a handful of 3cd and 4cd games, most notably Panzer Dragoon Saga. Also there is a 8cd game, Phantasm, which is a Japanese port of the gore fmv game Phantasmagoria.

Most games are single cd though.
>>
>>2805819
you may want to kill yourself.
>>
>>2805897
>Pseudo saturn utilizes both the 4mb and 1mb part of the cartridge, and it has almost 100% compatibility now.

Almost 100% is still not 100%. Modchips have 100%.

And the AR cart only has 4mb on it. Not 4mb and 1mb. This is why some SNK games glitch up on it - they need 1mb carts, not 4mb carts.

Unless you are using an early AR cart from 1997 or early 1998 which shipped with 1mb ram on the cart.

Or a Chinese cart that has a hard switch for turning off the top memory chips, while still having some firmware inside for an action replay.
>>
>>2805917
>Modchips have 100% compatibility
what is >croc
And yes I have the one that has both 1mb and 4mb ram on the cart
>>
>>2805941
>>2805917
Actually I run some tests
tell me games that glitch out with the 4mb/1mb carts
>>
>>2805941
Croc glitches up with an original disc too (his head is missing). You have to boot the game with the drive open, as I recall. I think Wipeout XL has a similar problem, some graphics are missing if you don't boot it from the CD menu.

But you can do that with a modded Saturn...

>And yes I have the one that has both 1mb and 4mb ram on the cart

Original Action Replay never came with a 4mb/1mb switch to the best of my knowledge.

You may be having some other Chinese cart that has the AR hardware plus a switch on it, though. The ARs were widely copied. I had a switchable cart too at some point, it had a switch connected to one of the pins on the GAL.

>>2805949
>tell me games that glitch out with the 4mb/1mb carts

http://www.satakore.com/cartridge.php

Samurai Spirits Amakusa Kourin [T-3116G] => 1MB RAM Cartridge only (Corrupt Graphics with 4MB RAM Cartridge)

Real Bout Garou Densetsu [T-3105G] => 1MB RAM Cartridge only (Corrupt Graphics with 4MB RAM Cartridge)

The King of Fighters '96 [T-3108G] => 1MB RAM Cartridge only (Corrupt Graphics with 4MB RAM Cartridge)
>>
>>2805978
I've got the one I linked from amazon with a spoiler earlier in the thread, doesn't have the switch, but apparently Vampire Savior which is 4mb only has no problem

And will Test those in a minute, gotta burn em. Will post results.
>>
>>2805982
No need to waste discs, I have that cart too, and it WILL glitch up on those three games.

Do note that all 4mb carts are inherently backwards compatible with 1mb ones (since if you have 4mb of expansion, that means you also have 1mb of expansion). The Action Replay just has 4mb inside and claims 4mb and 1mb compatibility because of that simple fact.

But those three games had shitty coding that makes them glitch up on 4mb carts. Many people reported that problem already (google for "Saturn King of Fighters glitch" or "Saturn samurai glitch"). It is a widely known glitch.
>>
>>2806028
I still would like to try, I wanted to see if fatal fury will work.
>>
Also, note that there are NO carts that automatically switch between 1mb and 4mb. There are a few that do manual switching, but nothing does automatic switching.

You need to make special firmware on a cart that reads the game cd for the serial number, and looks it up whether the game needs 1mb or 4mb. And even then, the compatibility list has to be pre-built. At best, Pseudo may be able to have such a list implemented.

Still, it's not like you need to cry about poor SNK ports.
>>
I experimenting making replica carts now. Mostly shit that too expensive (like Mr Gimmick) otherwise or some of the better fan made games and Rom hacks Like Zelda Outlands.

In b4 hate for destroying good carts, I don't use donor carts, I stick with 100% new parts, boards, shells ect as much as possible.
>>
File: sega-saturn-sky-target.jpg (14 KB, 195x300) Image search: [Google]
sega-saturn-sky-target.jpg
14 KB, 195x300
>bait thread hijacked by saturnfags

feels good
also best game coming trough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRP-E0vkTxg
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>2806042
>>2806030
>Mfw it works no glitches
>smugface.jpg
>>
>>2806071
I think I have found a solution as to why it doesn't work sometimes.
>>
>>2805625
Nice selfie
>>
>>2806076
>>2806071
Alright it seems only one character has a glitch.
>>
>>2805505
Sure if you're alright with paying $100+ for a placebo.
>>
Yes, for less than a day of work i can play the majority of a console's library on the actual hardware and i can dick around writing games. Totally worth it. Not a perfect replacement since you don't experience having the manual/box, but it's the best experience these days for the money.
>>
>>2806087
>I learned a new word today. It's "placebo" I don't know what it means but I can use it in a sentence.
>>
>>2806190
Keep using words you don't know the meaning of. It won't change your underageness.
>>
>>2805658
https://gdemu.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/enter-rhea/
>>
>>2806087
I wouldn't compare it to a placebo, I would compare it to generic drugs. Works about the same as the drugs made by the original manufacturer, yet not all the drugs are available as generics. The packaging is a lot uglier but you save a lot of money.

Don't get me started on the god damned repro carts either...
>>
>>2806087

I can tell that you're underage from this post.
>>
>>2806087
>holding controller in hand
>emulator/console with flash cart running the exact same .rom that's on the original cartridge
>placebo
What an absurd and incorrect choice of words.

Even if I'm on an emulator, even if I'm using some USB gamepad, it's still the game in question that I am playing here.

Is watching a silent film on a flat screen a placebo to you?
>>
>>2806472
Making fun of poor babies on 4chan is free.
>>
>>2806661
Generally the screens used in movie theaters were flat, yes.
>>
who /r4ds&ez3in1/ here?
>>
>>2807376
not retro
>>
>>2805790
>DVDs in Saturn

How old are you!?
>>
>>2805808
I've seen a few MB large too. Like Cotton 2, for instance. The music is all chip, so.
>>
>>2805505
No, a Wii in 240p mode is fine, just like the real systems but without the same controller (and there should be controller adapters that plug into the GameCube ports IIRC)
>>
File: 1445053146025.gif (10 KB, 576x448) Image search: [Google]
1445053146025.gif
10 KB, 576x448
>Get cheap Chinese Everdrive MD off Aliexpress
>Bricks itself instantly
Guess I got meme'd on huh?
>>
>>2805505
>>emulating feels so fake
sounds like hipster speak. shady flee market reseller love you long time.
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.