[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japanese Learning Resources Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1464327986859.gif (2 MB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1464327986859.gif
2 MB, 300x168
I'm going to start the quest to learning Japanese to experience the games that will no doubt never be translated or see an English release.

I know some anons speak japanese or can at least read it on this board so I'd like to ask for some tips/advice for learning japanese in relation to gaming specifically. I hope this thread is successful since I bet some other anon's are probably interested in it as well.

>what should I focus on
I know theres katakana, hiragana, romanji and stuff like that but I actually have no idea what games use.

>what are good resources for learning japanese?
I'm thinking about taking night classes at college, but I'd prefer online if possible (cause I'm cheap).

>Any other info that would be useful
Even recommendations for games with either simple/entry level japanese to look out or anything else could be useful.

Thanks guys.
>>
There is a constant thread on /a/ regarding this you would be better off looking there.
>>
>>3271314
>I'm thinking about taking night classes at college, but I'd prefer online if possible (cause I'm cheap).

Don't do either. Language classes are the biggest scam known to man. You pay hundreds of dollars to learn at a snail's pace. There is no secret knowledge you can only get from a school. Between the internet and books you can teach yourself everything you need to know to get started. A lot of it is just learning basic sentence structure and then expanding your vocabulary and learning hundreds of words, which is something you certainly don't need a teacher for.

You may ask, well how do you practice speaking it? Then I'd say do you really want to practice with other beginning students who are bumbling the language left and right and making mistakes that you may accidentally pick up, not knowing it's wrong? There are tons of sites out there where you can find native speakers to Skype with or if you live in a big enough city, local meetings with actual skilled speakers, sometimes native even, who will give you real world conversation skills beyond asking where the toilet is, which is about all you get out of a class. But if you're just mainly doing this to play games then speaking isn't a priority anyway, so focus on understanding the reading first.
>>
>>3272020
I learned more Spanish in a week when I visited Mexico than three years in school. Schools are outright unqualified to teach languages and language-learning classes should be outright abolished from the curriculum.
>>
>>3271314
someone dropped these links the other day
http://realkana.com/
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/writing
>>
>>3272023
I believe it. I took 3 years of high school French and at the time did not realize how bad it was. I graduated in 2001 and neglected it so I forgot basically all of it. I picked it up again 2 years ago and started again from scratch. It wasn't long before I realized in those 3 years they didn't even teach us jack squat. No past tense other than the most basic form (no imperfect at all), no conditional, no future, no subjunctive. Complete waste of time. So I got a very good book off Amazon and studied it. By 9 months later I was reading 500 page novels with I'd say at least 95% comprehension. Definitely go with the self teaching. If you are really serious about it then it will be enjoyable and you will learn it quickly OP.
>>
/int/ has regular Japanese threads with help if you need it

>>>/int/60389554
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.