[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the Dreamcast versions of Resident Evil 2, 3, and Code Veronica
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 12
File: 6654_front.jpg (68 KB, 640x630) Image search: [Google]
6654_front.jpg
68 KB, 640x630
Are the Dreamcast versions of Resident Evil 2, 3, and Code Veronica the best? I hear they display health status and ammo count on the VMU, which sounds awesome. Also, Resident Evil thread I guess.
>>
File: RE2.jpg (748 KB, 1326x2300) Image search: [Google]
RE2.jpg
748 KB, 1326x2300
this might help, I don't have anything on re1 and 3 though.
>>
I would say the Dreamcast versions are pretty great. As you can see the N64 version has it's unique items, but I think the Dreamcast's Nightmare mode is better than the item randomizer, and that the Ex Files, while neat, are something you can just read online.

The other qualities are things you need to decide yourself, but the choice is probably between the Dreamcast and N64 versions.

Also, don't be afraid to play a few different versions. After you get any good at them you can really speed through them. In RE without even trying that hard I was getting under one hour runs.
>>
>>2783163

eh. maybe. but I wouldn't say that it's too such a huge extent that calling them the best is even really justified
>>
2: For now yes wait till the HD remake unless its radically different
3: Yeah
C.V: Probably better off getting the HD port
>>
>>2783168
thank you very much. this is good?
but could you further explain the letter box/full screen issue? I'm confused.
From what I understand by 'FS' is meant 4:3 and 'letterbox' is meant 16:9 letterboxed.
The confusing part to me now is what is the original aspect ratio of the FMVs? 16:9 or 4:3?
If the original aspect ratio (OAR) is 16:9 than the fullscreen version is actually open matted to 4:3.
If the OAR is 4:3 than the letterboxed version is not really letterboxed, but either cropped 16:9 or open matted 16:9 but since the game is in a 4:3 container you are technically right to call it letterboxed.

So, screenshots would be nice to compare this.
>>
File: re2gamecom.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
re2gamecom.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>2783163

The best version is undoubtedly the game.com port

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiTkmvwGMN4
>>
File: residentevil2playstationus.jpg (46 KB, 500x476) Image search: [Google]
residentevil2playstationus.jpg
46 KB, 500x476
>>2783163

Thanks for the guide. Anybody know what this Nightmare difficulty is like?
>>
File: gamecube_psx.jpg (44 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
gamecube_psx.jpg
44 KB, 1280x720
>>2783168
>>2783332
Okay I googled it guys, dream cast is open matted. I think the OAR is the psx version since it was the original release, I still prefer open matte. Looks nice.
>>
File: dreamcast_openmatte.jpg (15 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
dreamcast_openmatte.jpg
15 KB, 600x480
>>2783346
>>
File: youtu.be-HX2CoOncNMg.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
youtu.be-HX2CoOncNMg.jpg
58 KB, 1280x720
btw whats all this on the dreamcast version?
which is the best mode?
has the pal version higher resolution? aka 576p?
>>
For 2 and 3, PC versions are the bests, but Dreamcast come close.

For CV pretty sure PS2 would be the 'best' although they're all shit since it's a shit game.
>>
>>2783163
In terms of graphics/content, the DC versions of 2 and 3 win. However, 3 on GameCube has the best character models of any version, but lacks the extra costumes of the Dreamcast/PC versions.

As for Code Veronica, many will say that the PS2/GameCube versions are the best since they're the X versions by default (the Dreamcast also got the X version, in Japan, though). However, I would say the original DC version is the best, since the extra cut scenes, in my opinion, don't really add much, and the Wesker/Alexia fight is better in the original DC version, since she manages to beat the shit out of Wesker (he manages to get a few hits off of her in the X version and does some Matrix running on the wall type stuff), making her a more formidable villain to the player, but if you ask me, the whole superhuman Wesker shit is better left off to RE5.

But if you're really set on the X version of Code Veronica, then you might as well go for the PS3/360 versions since they're in HD and have improved shadowing effects.
>>
>>2783353

>50hz

>50 hurts
>>
>>2783390
The dc version actually has the best graphics of any version. All others are missing several lighting effects and have lower poly.models.
>>
>>2783334
If you didn't play it on the Game.com, you're not a real gamer
>>
how do I git gud at this game? By the time i reach the first save point im almost dead
>>
>>2784068
leon gets a health boost if you let him blow his load into the mouth if a man in the beginning of the game.
>>
>>2784107
I'm sure you thought that was really clever.
I laughed like a bitch
>>
>>2783430
RE3 has better graphics on PC
>>
File: scream.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
scream.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>2784107
>>
RE2 on N64 has an additional improved control scheme, but is missing Battle Mode and one cutscene
>>
>>2784327
RE2-64 is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Sorry. It sucks.
>>
>>2785062
>RE2-64 is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Sorry. It sucks.
Hyperbole. The N64 version looks just fine. Also, the new control scheme turns it from being clunky and awful to being a really enjoyable game.
>>
>>2785073
No it doesn't look good.
How do you expect a 600mb game to fit on 32mb?
The 3D models look terrible on N64, Leon doesn't even have a face. That's not how I remember Leon. I think it's terrible.

https://youtu.be/bmViSPAxLpM
>>
The Dreamcast version of 2 is censored, sadly. The death scenes don't play out, the screen fades to black you just hear the character die and the You Died text comes on screen. I started Nightmare mode last night and was dying like crazy and thought something was missing.
>>
>>2785095
It's 1.4gb onto a 64mb cartridge.

And Lens of Truth was a terrible website. I remember how their 'results' would constantly conflict (sometimes a full 180) with Digital Foundry who actually do professional footage analysis. I'm guessing they took the PS1 footage with RGB and N64 with composite or some shit. That would be per the usual with their track record.

That being said, the backgrounds are definitely cropped and compressed in the N64 version and the fire looks a bit weird, but the game does run at a higher resolution overall when the Expansion Pak is used. I don't see any difference in the character models polygons except for some altered textures and that the N64 ones don't tremble and glitch like the PS1 ones do.
>>
>>2785176
look you make it sound like the image quality looks worse in n64 in the lens of truth video, when in fact it looks better. the signal of the ps1 is inferior is this video, yet the models of ps1 are superior. That is the point of the video. Leon has no face in N64, it doesnt matter if it runs in a higher resolution or has clearer signal, it sucks!

Eventually it doesn't even matter, since both sucks. You should play the Dreamcast version for the ultimate epxerience.
>>
>>2785176
>I don't see any difference in the character models polygons
TOP KEK.
>>
>>2785137
wow. really? that sucks? I didn't knew that. Then PC is the ultimate experience?
>>
>>2785208
>the signal of the ps1 is inferior is this video
Nah, I looked it up. They're both using s-video.

>yet the models of ps1 are superior.
I don't think you know the difference between a model and a texture.

>Leon has no face in N64
Cool hyperbole bro.

>>2785209
>TOP KEK.
You might prefer a different imageboard.
>>>/v/
>>
>>2785223
he literally has no face, you are just mad that n64 is inferior. his model sucks.
>>
>>2785213
Looks like PC version is censored, too.
>>2783168
This guide sucks since it doesn't mention censorship.
I guess the PS1 original is the best release. Or is there an uncensored PC port?
>>
>>2785232
wait us PS1 version is censored too.

Is the japanese ps1 directors cut the only uncensored version of the game?
>>
>>2785095
>Leon doesn't even have a face.
That's massive hyperbole.

>The 3D models look terrible on N64
They don't judder constantly like on the PS1.
>>
>>2785410
can you say something else than hyperbole? i cringe everytime you say it. it's like one of those people who say pathos 100 times in a sentence.
btw ps1 and n64 both suck.
>>
>>2785453
>can you say something else than hyperbole? i cringe everytime you say it. it's like one of those people who say pathos 100 times in a sentence.
>btw ps1 and n64 both suck.
Different person, anon. Hyberbole is a common word in the English language most of us learnt watching GoldenEye.
>>
>>2785463
i don't like james bong, sorry.
>>
>>2783163
Yes, and the VMU thing is not just a cool gimmick it's a significant gameplay improvement over the stupid 'pause game for detailed information method.'
>>
>>2783353
60hz is best. You'd only use a stretch mode if you are using an ancient TV that A. doesn't support 60hz (but it will) and B. doesn't have a built in stretch mode (but it will).

So if your TV has a wood finish and knobs on it you may not be able to use 60hz mode, but then you'd have trouble plugging a DC into a TV that old anyway. Honestly, they should just have made the thing PAL60 exclusive.
>>
>>2783163
Yes though some retard will try to claim the N64 port of 2 is the best because of what it managed to pull off due to its space limitations.
>>
>>2785487
>Yes though some retard will try to claim the N64 port of 2 is the best because of what it managed to pull off due to its space limitations.
No, because it has a new control scheme that makes the game infinitely more playable. It's so good that any remake or RE2 is guaranteed to use it if it has fixed camera angles.
>>
>>2785487
I wouldn't go so far to say that the N64 version *replaces' the PS1 version, but rather than it's a good remixed version worth your time if you like RE2.
>>
>>2785487

I don't think anybody claims the N64 version is the "best", but most will agree it's a pretty damn good port and worth playing for its unique features, even if you're played the other versions. Otherwise probably DC/GC versions are the best.

Even Hideki Kamiya said he likes the N64 port, and he usually hates ports of his games that change stuff around.
>>
i always preferred the gamecube versions in terms of consoles because the screen transitions were at their fastest and you could skip cut scenes for subsequent playthroughs
definitely not the best version for content though
>>
File: 833_front.jpg (59 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
833_front.jpg
59 KB, 640x640
while we are talking about DC ports is this worth grabbing if ive already beaten it 5+ times between ps1 and pc?
>>
>>2785495
>No, because it has a new control scheme that makes the game infinitely more playable.

Yeah, totally more playable
>hold left to make the character go forward and go past a zombie
>camera angle change
>suddenly the left you're holding doesn't mean going forward anymore and means hitting a wall
>zombies get to you

It's stupid to have a camera-centric control scheme in a game with such closed-up and ever changing cameras angles. It means you that the button you have to press to simply keep going in the same direction constantly changes. Which means every time a camera angle change, you have to stop and look to adapt.
It's crippling and it's an anachronistic to try and have in a pre-PS2 game.

The first game that succeeded in bringing this type of control with this type of camera angle is Project Zero (1), because they came up with a hybrid style of controls which fixes the kind of issue I mentioned above (because they knew that without the hybrid stuff they came up with, it was terrible, like in RE2 N64 or the HD re-release of REmake have which have no excuse not to have the PZ kind 'hybrid controls' in this day an age except lazyness)
>>
So which version is uncensored?
PC 2006 seems to have the best graphics, then Dreamcast.
Dreamcast is censored. Is PC 2006, too?
>>
>>2785878
>It's stupid to have a camera-centric control scheme in a game with such closed-up and ever changing cameras angles. It means you that the button you have to press to simply keep going in the same direction constantly changes. Which means every time a camera angle change, you have to stop and look to adapt.
This just shows you've never actually used it. If you hold a direction, you keep moving in a straight line until you center the stick and then change direction. Stopping "rezeroes" the directions the stick corresponds to. The idea you'll suddenly run into walls is a myth.
>>
>>2785852
Probably not. If memory surves it's more or less the PC version on lower settings and more mid-level loading.
>>
>>2785238
Re1 was uncensored on PC
>>
>>2784068
get a better handle on the controls and learn to avoid monsters
>>
>>2784068
You know that area where you climb on top of a dumpster on the way to the PD? Get on there, pull out your knife, and use that to kill the zombies without getting close enough to take damage. This helps you save ammo for other zombies.

Alternatively, if you wanna play like a pro, learn how to quickly run and dodge between zombies. Start by learning how to get from the burning car at the start of the game to the gun store by just running and dodging zombies. You are pro level once you can make it to the PD without firing a shot.(Being able to do this also unlocks that Barry zombie if I recall correctly.)
>>
>>2787091
>barry zombie
you are thinking of brad and that only requires you to not pick up any ammo on the way to the police station you also cant pick up kendos shotgun/bowgun
you can shoot all you want till then
>>
Because this is a Resident Evil thread, I think this is the best place for my question:
2 years ago, I finished two scenarios of RE2 on my PSP. Today, I decided to play it again. Loading my old save, I saw that there's a Leon A savegame on the very beginning of the game (00 saves). The thing is, I don't remember which order I used on my last playthrough. So, if I have a Leon A savegame, does that means that I did ClaireA/LeonB on my last time playing?
>>
>>2789194
If you have a Leon A it means you did Leon A/ Claire B. it turns in circles
>>
>>2789197
Okay, thanks.
>>
>>2786273
I don't remember it being like that at all, if that's the case, it means those N64 controls were actually avant-gardiste.
But even then, those controls are a cheat. You're not supposed to be able to go in any direction you want instantly, it completely breaks the entire gameplay mechanics and you're not playing by the games rules. It's like playing Doom with crouching and jumping or playing SMB3 with an infinite set of P-Wings.
>>
Thinking of giving RE2 a try. I have a chipped PS1 so getting the game is easy, but I was thinking of maybe emulating the GC version instead.

Sounds like a good plan? I generally prefer playing games on my computer, even emulated.
Will it give me the same experience?
Does the GC version emulate badly?
Should I emulate the Dreamcast version instead?

Did the XP PC version ever get a fan translation?
>>
A totally different question- I already played RE2 on psx in the past and was planning on playing now on the dreamcast again.
Question: Does the N64 support widescreen hack with glideN64 ? if that is so i might consider checking out the n64 version because that would be awesome.
Are there widescreen hacks for dreamcast too?
>>
>>2789256
I'm not sure how you would widescreen hack a game that is made up of what are essentially 2D backgrounds with a limited resolution. It would be different if it was entirely 3D.
>>
>>2789205
>But even then, those controls are a cheat. You're not supposed to be able to go in any direction you want instantly, it completely breaks the entire gameplay mechanics and you're not playing by the games rules. It's like playing Doom with crouching and jumping or playing SMB3 with an infinite set of P-Wings.
This is like saying Resident Evil 4 is broken with mouse aim. It ignores that maybe the original version was poorly designed, and makes a fetish of the game's "challenge" as though the quality of the gameplay is defined by how challenging it is.
>>
>>2789256
There's no point in playing with a widescreen hack
>>2789235
There's no point in playing an emulated version when the PC one is the best. Yes it was translated, google the beta 0.7 translation
>>
>>2789292
If you refer to gaming in general than you are an idiot.
If you refer to Resident Evil 2, yes that is true, it is not possible, as stated by >>2789257
>>
>>2789295
>If you refer to gaming in general than you are an idiot.
We're talking about RE, also the widescreen hack is possible. But of course it works only on the 3d polygon so you get a widescreen Leon with stretched backgrounds
>>
>>2789301
Okay than all is good. <3
I'm gonna try PC port. Thx for the tip. Is Dreamcast really 60fps?
>>
>>2789312
>Is Dreamcast really 60fps?
I don't think so, probably only on the menus and maybe the fmvs
>>
>>2789276
>This is like saying Resident Evil 4 is broken with mouse aim.

No, mouse aiming is fine in RE4 because all they did was port the controls to another type of controlling device, they did not change how the controls work, which is what RE2 N64 did.
A good comparaison with RE4 would be the Wii version. The Wii version has a 'crosshair' at all times on the screen, while in the original game, you only get a red dot to tell you you are aiming correctly and that red dot doesn't even appear in the far distance; plus in the wii version the 'crosshair' is there even when you're not aiming, meaning that you can prepare your aiming BEFORE you even aim.
Plus the Wii version got rid of 'aim shaking'.
So the Wii version changes how the gameplay mechanics and the controls work, so, as fun as it is, it is cheated, just like RE2 N64.

>It ignores that maybe the original version was poorly designed, and makes a fetish of the game's "challenge" as though the quality of the gameplay is defined by how challenging it is.

In other words you're mad because you can't get good with RE controls and the only way you can bring yourself to play it is using the N64's cheating control scheme, while giving you the excuse for it that the original was "bad design".

Now though, I don't believe that the control scheme is what makes RE challenging. It doesn't because everything is built around it, the enemies, their behaviour, patterns and attacks, are built with that control scheme in mind (which is it's important to use that control scheme, because if you use the N64's one, you are allowing yourself to do things which enemies weren't built for, giving you an unfair advantage, you're not playing the games rules).
You could say that RE is challenging due to the controls if the rest of the game was built without this type of controls in mind, but that's not the case.
>>
Also if they wanted to have other types of controls, they could and would have done it. If they wanted to have you be able to move in any direction instantly, without having to turn the character around, they could and would have done it. It's not a matter of being 'dated' or whatever, it's not like games with other type of controls didn't exist by the time RE2, or even 1, came out. It was a matter of choice.
But if they had done that they would also have made enemies move differently (probably move more freely and be more aggressive)

Finally I'd like to say that this mentality of saying that RE controls are 'bad design', or dated, or whatever (whether people say it for the classic RE or for RE4/5), is the kind of mentality that brought the industry to become more and more streamlined, to have everything be CoD or GoW clones. You basically want all your games to play the same.
>>
>>2789343
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you, fag.
It's not /vr/, but the Resident Evil Outbreak games conserve the style and spirit of the original trilogy while removing the tank controls, and are a personal favorite of mine.
>>
Read that RE2 had different item placements and enemy health depending on the region.

Anyone know what is the recommended one to play? Japanese or Western?
>>
>>2789402
Japanese is easier, for example in the first alley of the game you encounter only one zombie (civilian) instead of two zombie cops
>>
>>2789406
I see. Think I'm going with that then. Since I've only played the first game on easy and I suck at it.
>>
>>2783163
I have the n64 version and the ps1 regular version, both are great except the n64 videos look A LOT worse and the image seems too colorfulm, the higher resolution segments don't cut it for me, my screen jumps everytime i go to the menu, it's annoying as fuck. It's a good version anyway, wouldn't say you missed much if it's the only version you played.
>>
>>2783334
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiTkmvwGMN4 [Embed]

That looks better and plays better than it has any right to. I might actually seek out a games.com just to try it.
>>
>>2789402
In the Jap version there is a lot less 'hidden' ammo placement. For instance, there are tons of ammo that doesn't actually appear on screen and that you can only find if you happen to press the action button near it. In the Jap version, not so much, you'll find more ammo that's in plain site.

Additionaly you take less dmg from enemies in the Jap version.
So the western versions are the bests survival horrors.

In the PC versions you can play both the Jap and Western versions (perhaps even in the Dreamcast version, not sure anymore)

>>2789603
Don't !

DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME
Not even out of curiosity sake!

I did, out of curiosity, I bought a game.com and RE2. It was the most horrible gaming experience I've EVER had.

Although honestly, while the game is bad, the main problem is the console itself. At least make sure you get the 2nd type of game.com, the one which is backlit, or else I can tell you you will NOT see anything on the screen.

Finally I'd like to say that there is a game.com emulator out there with all the games, but it's hard to find.
>>
>>2791249
The western version isn't exactly the western version, you take more damage from the bites and you need to do more damage to take down the zombies
>>
File: Resident Evil 2 Guide V12.jpg (684 KB, 1326x2260) Image search: [Google]
Resident Evil 2 Guide V12.jpg
684 KB, 1326x2260
>>2783168
Here's the newest version.

I'll post the RE1 and RE3 guides too.
>>
>>2783163
AUTISM INCOMING:

Playstation
Original version, things to note:

-Dpad only
-No rumble
-Normal and Easy difficulty
-Auto-aim is included, but it's need to be activated in the menu (Always on in the Japanese version, no option to disable within the menu)
-4th Survivor unlockable minigame
-Tofu Survivor unlockable minigame
-No Extreme Battle
-Japanese release has adjusted difficulty (Enemies have less health and the player has more, less enemies with different placement, different ammo/health placement)
-Japanese release has censored game over screens (You Died against a black background, no death animations)
-Japanese release game ranks go from S through D, West releases rank A through E
-320x240 resolution
-Two discs

Playstation Dual Shock Ver
Based on the original version, with the following additions:

-Analogue support
-Rumble Support
-Extreme Battle mode can be unlocked
-Arrange/Rookie Mode (Start with infinite ammo S. Machine Gun, infinite ammo R. Launcher/Gatling Gun in item box)
-Japanese release includes a USA mode under "Arranged" (US difficulty mode)
-Available for download on US and EU PSN (US 60Hz version on both stores)

Windows 98
Based on the Dual Shock Ver with the following additions:

-Both 320x240 & 640x480 background resolutions
-Can run at 60fps
-Slightly improved graphics for in-engine models
-Hard difficulty unlockable under Original Mode
-Arrange Mode includes Easy, Normal and Hard difficulties
-Door animations are skipable
-Gallery mode (Character model/concept art/FMV viewer)
-Two discs
>>
>>2791415
>Dreamcast
Based on the Windows 98 version with the following additions:

-Runs at 640x480
-Runs at 30fps for 3D scenes with video interpolation (60fps for menus)
-VMU monitor for health and ammo
-At least two music tracks are missing and not replace, these rooms are now silent ("Left Alone" outside the RPD, "The Buildup of Suspense" in Marvin's office)
-Can be run in VGA mode
-Arrange mode difficulties retitled to Rookie, Expert and Nightmare
-Supports rumble
-Supports analogue or dpad
-Japanese release (Biohazard 2 Value Plus) has Hunk, Tofu and Extreme Battle unlocked by default
-Two discs

>Nintendo 64
Based on the Playstation original version, with the following notes:

-Does not include any additions from the Dual Shock or PC releases
*Expansion Pak support EDIT: (Enables higher resolutions, which vary based on the scenes and scale to output at 512x384. Need to look into this one further)
*16 Ex Files can be found, linking the game to both Resident Evil 3 and the then unreleased Resident Evil Code:Veronica and Resident Evil Zero
*Different unlockable costumes for both characters
*3D control method in addition to the 2D "tank controls"
*Item randomiser option unlockable (Affects ammo and health)
*Blood colour option (Red, blue, black, green)
*Violence Control option (Adjust the amount of blood and gore)
-Lower quality FMVs due to compression
-Annette's Recollection FMV streamlined to one variation meaning it will always be incorrect for both scenarios.
-Missing Scenario B credit music
*Sound now uses higher quality midi samples and Dolby Surround, although sounds much duller than other versions
-Character models were reworked, the models themselves are smoother although their textures are of a lower quality
*One Cartridge
>>
>>2791415
>>2791426
>Gamecube
Based on the Dual Shock Ver with the following notes:

-Does not include any additions from the Windows 98, Dreamcast or N64 versions
-Background resolution is at 320x240 upscaled
-Slightly improved graphics for in-engine models
*In-engine cutscenes can be skipped
*Main Menu voice is different
-Analogue support
-Rumble support
*One minidisc

>SourceNext PC Rerelease (JP Only)
Based on the Windows 98 Ver with the following notes:

*Updated to run on Windows XP
*Best quality CG FMVs running 640x480 and 30fps
-Hunk, Tofu and Extreme battle unlocked by default
*One DVD
-Japanese language only (Translation patch available)
>>
Just play the gamecube versions.
>>
>>2791383
I never understood why Claire only had one alt. Couldn't they had given her Elza Walker's bike suit or something?
>>
>>2791383
Thank you, that is awesome, but this guide is missing the most important information. The censorship issue. The Dreamcast version for example is censored in all regions.

Please redo. Im looking forward to guides for best version of Re1 and Re3 nevertheless.
>>
>>2791350
Really? So Jap-western is harder than actual western? How different is it?

You should do a version guide for RE1 since that one really doesn't have a definite version.
Plus, difficulty is a mess in RE1. It seems that it differs not only on region but also on version, what I mean is in some cases re-release in the same region may not have the same difficulty.
I always wanted to do a chart but my RE autism has lowered and I couldn't be bothered to track down and test every single version of every single region and to count how many bullets and bites it takes to kill and die to make sure.

Now though your chart doesn't talk about sound quality. The problem is that for sound quality to be factual, you need an expert ear, a great sound system or even intrusments to measure so it's not that simple.
All I can say is that the N64 version sounds like ass to my musician hear, no matter how all the 'SURROUND SOUND' advertising there is about it.

Also the Win98 version is the only version of RE2 which has mods (just like RE1 PC), quite a few being actually worth it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1K0Qkd13Zw
>>
>>2785137
Shame, they really were something else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggdWn1r3SJ0
>>
Also, I've lost the word defining what I mean but you'll understand : polygons of models getting on top of each other when they shouldn't during an animation. The GC versions of 2 and 3 seem to be the only one which don't have this issue.
>>
>>2791510
>polygons of models getting on top of each other when they shouldn't during an animation

Polygon mis-sorts? It's usually common with joints when a game doesn't use a z-buffer. But it would be quite unusual that the N64 version, and especially the Dreamcast wouldn't be using a z-buffer. Although you don't really have to z-buffer in a game that uses 3D overlayed on top of 2D backgrounds since there is very little scene depth in practical terms.
>>
>>2791510
Clipping.
>>
>>2791581
A quick check through some youtube videos and it seems that it does happen on N64 although a lot less than on PS1. DC seems fine.

Pretty sure it happens on PC which is a shame really although i'm not personaly too bothered by it. It's only really a problem during cutscenes anyway.
>>
>>2791626
It may be that z-buffer is disabled on the N64 version to free up GPU resources for all of the hardcore decompression that is going on. Then again, the problem could just be plain old clipping as said by >>2791615

That would be caused simply by an animation system that has really inaccurately programmed joints that don't give a damn if they pass half way through others (with polygon mis-sorts the entire polygon would be drawn over another). Didn't they enhance the models in some way on Dreamcast and Gamecube anyway?
>>
Definitive versions (for me) are:
1 DC on PS1
2 Sourcenext on PC
3 Normal with sourcenext fmvs on PC
>>
>>2791663
>3 Normal with sourcenext fmvs on PC

You can do that? Just replace the files I guess, pretty simple... Never thought of it.

I tend to play the first PC release of RE3 more than the re-release as well, because the game is already too easy as it is, no need to make it even easier.
>>
>>2791510
I noticed that in 3 on GameCube, the character models are smooth and not wavy/jittery. Is there any way to get the PC version like that, or would that require re-doing the character models?
>>
>>2791680
you can replace the western scenarios on the sourcenext version as well. That goes for 2 as well
>>
Just spent the entire day playing RE2 and it's so fucking good. Like, surprisingly good. I thought I was almost gonna have to force myself through it a bit because of it's age and tank controls but I love it so far.

Playing the GC version since it just seemed the easiest to set up on PC and I couldn't get the 2006 PC version working properly.

Bit easier than I thought it would be, at least compared to the easy Jill run I did on Remake.
>>
>>2791710
>Bit easier than I thought it would be, at least compared to the easy Jill run I did on Remake.

Too bad you won't get to unlock the insanely hard and good nightmare difficulty since that's DC and PC only.

And yeah, you can add that to the comparaison list, the original PC may take a bit of work to get running depending on your OS, although there are various tutorials online.
>>
>>2791714
>Too bad you won't get to unlock the insanely hard and good nightmare difficulty since that's DC and PC only.
I'm okay for now. Right now my goal is to make my way through the series since I've never played them before.

>the original PC may take a bit of work to get running depending on your OS.

My issues was with the text being cut off, and my EXE didn't have the necessary HEX values to properly edit it. So I just kinda said fuck it and downloaded Dolphin.

I was mostly just going by the graphics, rather than extra features since my main interest right now is the story.

That reminds me, the times I tried the PC version it was always in windowed mode, and alt+enter didn't work. Did I miss something obvious?
>>
>>2791719
>My issues was with the text being cut off
I told you to download the 0.7 translation. You downloaded the 0.5
>>
>>2791791
I think I tried both.
Maybe I accidentally reinstalled the 0.5 version.

And how is the controller support on the PC version anyways? DirectInput only or does it work with xinput as well?
>>
File: Resident Evil 3 Guide.jpg (690 KB, 940x2053) Image search: [Google]
Resident Evil 3 Guide.jpg
690 KB, 940x2053
>>2791498
Here's RE3
>>
>>2789337
I'm currently replaying RE4 Wii amd aim shaking is still there. Of course is still a plus having the pointer controls, but the pointer shakes anyways. I agree on everything else though.
>>
File: 2015-11-11_00004.jpg (412 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-11_00004.jpg
412 KB, 1920x1080
>>2796216
I'm actually playing the PC HD-rerelease at the moment and I thought shaking was a lot more noticeable than on Wii, but maybe it's just me then.
>>
>>2793604
Do you have RE1 too?
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.