[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After years of wanting one, I'm finally going to pull the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: pc-engine-core-grafx.jpg (767 KB, 1000x644) Image search: [Google]
pc-engine-core-grafx.jpg
767 KB, 1000x644
After years of wanting one, I'm finally going to pull the trigger and buy myself a PC Engine.

The problem is that I know very little about the differences between the different versions of the console. Which version should I be looking to get? The Duo is out of my price range, unfortunately.
>>
>>3259540
Depends.

Most people will say the only reason to own a PC-Engine is for the CD games so you should probably just hold off, or grab one with the CD attachment instead of the duo.
>>
>>3259546

Understandable, but I know there's enough HuCard games that I enjoy to warrant getting just the main console for now. I've already checked for one with the CD, and it's not an option at the moment, but I figure I could buy it separately down the road.
>>
File: duor.jpg (42 KB, 640x507) Image search: [Google]
duor.jpg
42 KB, 640x507
>>3259540
theres the pc engine (the white one), the core grafx and the core grafx 2 and they're all basically the same so don't worry about missing out. The word is that the cd addons are not very reliable on the whole and that you really want a duo of some sort if you want cd. The supergrafx is overpriced and is a waste of time. It only supports 6 extra games (probably 2 you'd actually want to play) and won't work with the cd addons. The controllers are expensive so make sure you get one with the console. I have pic related and am pretty happy with it. Also the controller cords are pretty short just so you know.
>>
>>3259615

Okay, cool. Thanks for the info. I thought I read somewhere that the white version only supports RF and not composite. Is this true?
>>
>>3259645
I believe that's the original model that only does RF. Just google which models have AV out, and that should be fine.

A Turbo-Everdrive is also relatively cheap, so that can be a help with the thing.

If you ever feel the need to go CD, some people across the internet sell refurbished CD/interface/briefcase units ... rarely. Essentially, being nearly 30-year-old CD drives, a lot of them are having problems these days, so be very careful.

On the positive side, as far as I can tell, base PCE units are in fairly good shape, though I've heard of the odd one or two that need tune-ups.

Also, I'm sure you're aware of this, but don't waste your time with anything TurboGrafx. A completely pointless and nostalgia-gouged market. The art is worse, the chip design is worse, and everything is more expensive. JPN 4 lyfe.
>>
>>3259615
>The supergrafx is overpriced and is a waste of time. It only supports 6 extra games (probably 2 you'd actually want to play) and won't work with the cd addons.
I believe it's compatible with the CD units, but I think you mean that it won't enhance the CD games in any way. I agree that it's a waste of money.
>>
File: IMG_20160321_144259.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160321_144259.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>3259704
yeah sorry you're right there's 1 iteration of the cd addon that fits onto it.

>>3259668
>I believe that's the original model that only does RF. Just google which models have AV out, and that should be fine.

You can mod them all for rgb so who cares.
>>
>>3259645
All PCEs with an expansion port have composite and RGB on it.

>>3259727
There's also an adapter that lets the supergrafx plug into an IFU.
>>
>>forget the cd, get a turbo everdrive and a db grafx booster. ~$150 and you have a library of games and rf-rgb available.
>>
If TG-16 stuff is really so expensive is a PCE worth it for someone who doesn't know moon?
>>
I've been thinking of importing one of these. Is it region locked or not? If not I could also import stuff from the US.
>>
File: PCELOADING.gif (9 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
PCELOADING.gif
9 KB, 256x224
>>3260372
>>3260379
CD games on any of the duo systems are region free. The hucard games/cd and adapters are not however as they have a different pinout. The turbo everdrive can change from pc engine compat. to turbo grafx with the press of a button on the card. If you were planning to not get an everdrive I would definitely get a pc engine for the cheapness and the bigger library but if you wanted to play RPGs obviously they'd be in moon.
>>
Not the same situation but here's what I did earlier this year:
I picked up a Core Graphx 2 on eBay, extra controller and a multitap (ordered some extension cables from monoprice for dirt cheap too). Picked up a handful of shooters I KNEW I really wanted as well as Bomberman 93+94. In total this was about $150. Snagged a Turbo Everdrive from eBay for about $70. Since then I've been using the Everdrive to go through the library and see what other games I actually like on the system and picking them up when I find them cheap. I also picked up the Interface Unit and CDrom later for $60 together.

Now in terms of video output you have a few choices if you don't want RF if you pick up a PC Engine that doesn't have AV standard. You can mod your system to add inputs or:
- you can pick up a dB Grafx Booster which gives rgb, svideo, and composite (super clear too). In terms of quality and price I recommend this over the Turbo Booster or similar units
- pick up an interface unit (the briefcase) which adds composite video as well as a tiny amount of save game space

I love my PC Engine. I'll end up picking up a recapped Duo eventually, right now most of my collection is Hucards so I'm not overly concerned until my cd unit dies.
>>
>>3260372
Actually there's really no point in getting a TG unless you're a collector who wants to display it on a shelf.
>>
>>3261572
I enjoy a lot of PC engine games, the consoles are sleek as fuck though
>>
File: sgifu.jpg (8 KB, 301x185) Image search: [Google]
sgifu.jpg
8 KB, 301x185
>>3261729
Thanks for sharing that with me, although I'm mot sure why.
I also enjoy a lot of PC engine games. It's probably my favorite 4th gen console. I can read moon and have several CD versions so there really is quite a lot for me to enjoy. My main setup is a core2 with supercd. Pic neither related nor sleek
>>
>>3262209
That thing is ugly but also expensive as fuck
>>
>>3262229
Only on ebay. Here you can get one CIB for the equivalent of $150
>>
Just modded my Duo-R for RGB and it looks amazing
>>
File: retro-63772-41451688695.png (27 KB, 256x239) Image search: [Google]
retro-63772-41451688695.png
27 KB, 256x239
Has anyone been playing their PC Engines, or Ootake? I hear the Xanadu games are currently being translated, which has me pretty excited. I have the JPN release of Xanadu II, but it's obviously not the same without understanding the story.

I'm actually half-impressed (only half) with myself. I never played text-heavy Japanese games until I started playing PC Engine - though I've stuck with action RPG games (Brandish, Xak, etc.).

>>3261729
What he was actually saying (and this is true) is that there is no reason to purchase TurboGrafx anything, when cheaper, superior Japanese versions exist of
1) games
2) consoles
3) controllers

Turbo shit is just there for people who either don't know any better or were there "back in the day" and want to hold on to that nostalgia. Ugly 'turbo chips', ugly box art, altered games... They can all have that, thank you very much.
>>
What's the cheapest place for importing Duo/Duo-R from Japan? YJA? Suruga-ya?
I'm going to RGB mod, recap and change laser (if necessary) myself.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.