[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NES palettes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: SMB3 Unsaturated-V5.png (66 KB, 1317x1080) Image search: [Google]
SMB3 Unsaturated-V5.png
66 KB, 1317x1080
I've been using the Unsaturated-V5 from http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html lately in NES emulators, seems to very accurate to the real NES colors.

What palettes do NES emulator and NESRGB users on /vr/ prefer?
>>
>>3234862

There's a handy guide here:

http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Famicom_Color_Palette

(note, the guide is not complete, feel free to add to it)
>>
File: cv1c[1].png (3 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
cv1c[1].png
3 KB, 256x224
There's no perfect palette. Here are my two favorites:

>Sony CXA2025AS (Consumer).

This one is derived from an actual NTSC decoder from Sony televisions. This is probably the most accurate, in that it's what a lot of people in 80's Japan would have used or seen.

>Rock Man 9

Palette from RM9. As close to an official palette by Capcom as you can get. In practice, it's very similar to the Consumer palette.

A good game to test palettes on is Castlevania 1 level 2. The room is often garish purple bricks in most palettes. But Consumer renders them as red. The devs used a TV to test that gave red bricks.
>>
>>3235080

Comparison pic.
>>
>>3235623
>>3235080
I don't get how there can be this much ambiguity in the first place. Purple is red with added blue, so the question is: is there red and blue in the colour, or just red? What is the composition of the colour Konami chose for the bricks? Presumably this is knowable info? Isn't it in some NES documentation?
>>
>>3234862
>very accurate to the real NES colors

That's going to depend entirely on your display. Different CRTs display the same color very differently. Hell, different LCDs display the same color very differently. Obsessing over color palettes is futile.
>>
>>3235623

neat
>>
>>3235684
There is no RGB or neutrally defined values. The NES has a hardcoded palette of NTSC colors, that went out the rear exactly as NTSC signals, nothing else in between. Not every display interprets that signal the same way
>>
>>3237565
Interesting.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.