[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Why gen 4 is, and will always be the best gen of all of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: 1462067040119.jpg (270 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1462067040119.jpg
270 KB, 1600x900
ITT: Why gen 4 is, and will always be the best gen of all of pokemon.
Such perfection in that region, good mons, comfy music, good lore
>>
File: [Smug anime girl].png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
[Smug anime girl].png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>26370291
[Bait response telling you you are wrong]
>>
>>26370291
Well to sum it up
>Dull designs and shitty cross gen evos
>shat on previous features and mechanics
>glitchy online
>cluttered region
>unfitting music
>slow as fuck
>most of the lore is totally unrelated to anything, the rest is so minimal it's laughable
>introduced the worst kind of people to the fanbase
And that's why it's the best gen.
>>
>>26370321
Listen to Nao guys she knows best.
>>
>>26370332
I like gen 2 the most, but I think Sinnoh's the best region and has good music. Many cross gen evos are goty (ie Leafeon, Froslass, Gallade) about the story, well, it's a children game so why would you want a deep story to begin with? If you want a good plot go read a book.
>>
>>26370291
No

Only thing DPP got right were the starters, Croagunk/Toxicroak and Cynthia.........and Dawn.
>>
File: download (5).jpg (8 KB, 168x168) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
8 KB, 168x168
>>
>>26370580
>it's a children game so why would you want a deep story to begin with? If you want a good plot go read a book.
The problem being that the plot was more drivel than what we've had before anon.
Even a child would get bored with it in a half our or ask what that thing has to do with this other thing.

Understand?
Just because it's a kids game doesn't mean there should be a lack of effort put into it.

As for the rest of your post, general consensus is against you on that one and so are GF seeing as that's the reason Unova had no cross gens and while Mega Evolution was created.
>>
>>26370332
>introduced the worst kind of people to the fanbase
>what is gen 5
>>
>>26370648
Nope
>>
>>26370634
You're probably one of those idiots that think gen 5's storyline was good or even comprehensible.
>>
>>26370683
What does gen 5 have to do with anything here?
Either reply to my post properly or go kill yourself.
>>
>>26370291
>>26370291
>Region
Not bad, but Johto is definitely more comfier/better in general
>Good mons
Gen 4 had probably the worst roster out of any generation. Yes, I know that there were a FEW good designs, (togekiss is my favorite Mon), but if you look at everything overall, you'll see that most of them are garbage. Gen 4 also introduced the trend of ridiculously complicated digimon legendaries, and the trend of adding 50 legendaries per game.
>Comfy music
This is fine, but the problem is that they tried to make every track in the game like this, instead of just the routes and towns. Especially coming from Gen 3's upbeat, fast paced trumpet music, the battle themes from Gen 4 were terribly underwhelming. The gym leader theme is supposed to be an intense boss battle theme, not what Gen 4 did.
>Good lore
Gen 4 pandered to the edgy teenagers who want the "LITERALLY GOD XD" Pokemon. Even if you like the Gen 4 legends, you have to admit that they tried way too hard to make them "SOOO COOL AND EPIC XD".

Diamond and Pearl were by far the absolute worst games in the series. Horrid Pokemon distribution, unbelievable slowness in both the overworld and battling, and a boring story with no improvement from any other gens. Yes, I know Platinum fixed some of these problems, but the director's cut is not supposed to be the main games in a Gen.

D/P/Pt certainly weren't bad games, they were still fun, but they are far from being the best Gen, when Emerald, BW2, and Crystal exist.
>>
>>26370796
>Especially coming from Gen 3's upbeat, fast paced trumpet music
It really is jarring going from Gen 3's adventurous themes to Gen 4's "jaunty walk in the park".
>>
>>26370796
>with no improvement from any other gens
I agree with mostly everything you're saying (though I feel like a lot of these symptoms are even worse in Gen 5) but I think you're forgetting that it introduced the Physical/Special split.

Its a pretty significant change and a good one at that.
>>
>>26370924
People really overstate the importance of the split.
I mean, it essentially changed the distinction between Physical and special from 17 types to 2 as well as making a hell of a lot of Pokemon worse because until later gens they weren't designed with it in mind.

Anyway, that's really the only thing it can call an improvement.
>>
>>26370796
It introduced the physical/special split and for that alone it's up there in terms of best generation. I don't really get the 'third game is not part of the gen' meme though, it's perfectly fair to compare them. I also disagree about the designs, I can't really name anything from gen IV that triggered me so much that I hated it.

You are spot on about the legendaries though, those are pretty damn tryhard. And the speed in D/P was absolutely woeful.

And HG/SS kind of sucked but you get lynched for stating that opinion here so never mind that.
>>
>>26371002
>And HG/SS kind of sucked but you get lynched for stating that opinion here so never mind that.
Eh, the Johtoddlers are dying down now
>>
>>26370998
That's one interpretation. Another one could be that it instantly gives every type that exists double the possible variation.

It also probably helps as many Pokemon as it harms.
>>
>>26370291
>Region
Good luck with all those HMs.

>Good mons
For deviantart maybe.

>Comfy music
Maybe too comfy, needed more oomph.

>Good lore
Muh christian godmon pls.
>>
>>26371127
>Another one could be that it instantly gives every type that exists double the possible variation.
Eh, that's a bit of a stretch considering physical and special moves aren't a direct split and there were no special moves like Earthquake at the time.
The split only showed it's true importance in later generations where they could design around it properly.

>It also probably helps as many Pokemon as it harms.
It fucked a huge amount of Pokemon anon.
>>
>>26370291
My shit taste detector's going off the charts
>>
>>26371200
I think it isnt a stretch at all. The split is of enormous significance. I dont think im being crazy when I say its probably the second most significant trait of any Pokemon now, next to just its typing. Its a goddamn defining feature.

I will concede that Gen 4 didnt design around it properly though. Poor Luxray...

And sitting here, just thinking from the top of my head, I'm thinking of plenty of mons who are way better off getting attacking moves that match thier stats, letting them actually use thier STAB boost properly. You know, as if its attacks were actually designed to utilize the typing it has.
>>
>>26371177
>Muh christian godmon plz
Arceus isnt the christian God its more similar to the Greek Chaos.
>>
>>26371369
>The split is of enormous significance.
Sure, but it didn't really shine in the generation it was introduced and was very much a minor feature until later generations, much like Breeding and so on.

>You know, as if its attacks were actually designed to utilize the typing it has.
You are aware there's more to think about than just type right?
That said until later generations most pokemon were designed around whether or not their type was physical or special, especially in the second and third generations as they had they happened after the special split.
Making such a change ruined a large majority of those pokemon prior until they recieved a better ability in gen 5, a mega in gen 6 or an item to compliment them.
>>
>>26370796
Dude, Arceus has LITERALLY nothing to do with the main story of DPPt
>>
>>26370634
I was a kid when the game came out. That shit was the most exciting thing. Walking into lake Valor and seeing all the magikarp flopping around. It legit looked evil. The lore wasn't boring at all. We got pokemon gods. Why the hell would that shit be boring?
>>
>>26371512
You are talking to a retarded SInnoh hater thats why anon, they cant give one point that makes any rational sense.
>>
>>26371491
Dude, Dialga and Palkia are LITERALLY the gods of time and space and are part of the main story of DP.

Giratina is the god of antimatter too and is part of the main story of Platinum.
>>
>>26370291
I love platinum because it's the game that got me back into pokemon as an adult. That being said i can admit the sinnoh region is very bland and tedious, the new sinnoh pokemon are mostly uninspired and dull, the gym leaders/e4 are very forgettable, and the music is yawn enducing smooth jazz that's better suited for an elevator.
>>
>>26371535
Giratina isn't a God of anything and I don't get why people insist that he is. He was just thrown into his own world because he was a dick.
>>
>>26371535
No, they aren't gods and you are retarded.
>>
>>26371535
DP had a nihilist who wanted to remove all emotion and irrationality from the universe so the villain's motive was very interesting.
>>
>>26371535
>antimatter
Implying you even know what matter is, my friend.
There is no thing like antimatter in pokemon.
>>
>>26371555
>>26371559
>sinnohsperms don't even know shit about their favourite game
There is not a single part of this franchise that states they aren't gods.
They are literally the embodiment of time, space and antimatter without them they don't exist.
>>
>>26370291
>liking the era of the dedicated MUST GET ROCKS UP lead
Face it, Gen VI is the best gen, and the only way they could make it better would be to remove team preview.
>>
>>26371579
>you know what my favourite game is
>I'm intrested in the """lore"""
>Giratina is really the god of antimatter
Here's your (You)
>>
>>26371458
>Butterfree
>Clefairy line
>Jigglypuff line
>Oddish line
>Bellsprout line
>Venonet line
>Growlithe line
>Gyarados
>Cont...
Actually looking at the dex of just Gen 1, it seems like half of half of all Pokemon used to have STAB it wasnt able to properly utilize until gen 4.

A lot of Pokemon were absolutely NOT designed around thier typing. Again, I can concede that Gen 4 didnt pull off the excecution super great but you are ignorant if you say it didnt improve a shitton of Pokemon and the game in general.
>>
>>26371559
You are aware that they're referred to as the God or creation trio in most circles, right?
And were going to be used to destroy and recreate not only the region but the entire universe?

Saying they're less than gods is an extreme understatement.
>>
>>26371638
You know gen 2 happened right?
And in 2 and 3 a chunk of those Pokemon actually had some use or could be called good.
Then in gen 4 they dropped due to the sudden changes.

I'm not saying it didn't improve a considerable amount of Pokemon, just that it fucked over a lot more than it helped.
>>
>>26371686
You are missing the point that none ever referred them as gods but only as powerful beings capable of controlling time/space. There is no god in the pokemon world. Gods cannot exist.
>>
>>26371703
>I'm just gonna go ahead and state these things as facts for no reason
>>
>>26371599
Not him but you are aware that even Masuda said that Giratina and the Distortion World are the personification of antimatter right?

Then there's this. Of course this is just one translation, but the gist same across them all.

He's the god of antimatter just like Dialga for time and Palkia for space.

>>26371739
>Gods cannot exist.
They can and do in the pokemon world.
They are literal gods of creation that are the embodiment of time, space and antimatter.
Without them their respective element of the universe can not exist.
>>
>>26371577
Check the 3:55 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxC1kXm_AVs
>>
>>26371739
>but only as powerful beings capable of controlling time/space
>Controlling
They ARE time and space anon. Think Eternity in the marvel universe.

They have literally crossed the god threshold, entered that territory and set up shop. You'd have a point if they were Celebi tiers but no, they go way beyond that.

They only reason they aren't referred to as such is because the west had some weird thing where you can't say god.
>>
>>26371703
What gen 2 mons are you even talking about? It only helped Entei, Tyranitar, Yanma, Sneasel and pretty much anything else I can think of.

Hell, Pokemon with mixed attacking stats also got indirectly buffed since now they can choose to focus on one or the other instead of being forced to go mixed or not having a STAB move. The only Pokemon off the top of my head that got nerfed is Sceptile, but it's comparatively a drop in the bucket compared to everything it helped.
>>
>>26371512
>We got pokemon gods. Why the hell would that shit be boring?
Because they made them gods and did nothing Godly maybe?

Think about all of the god tier enemies in video games and anime and why people like them.
You're going to read this without finding any anyway so here's the answer it's that they show a fantastic display of power worth of their status as gods on top of that they actually act like gods whereas in gen 4 they were just simple Pokemon that don't have the intelligence for more than grunts and roars.
>>
>>26371592
>Gen 6
>Best
You mean the generation that's given us two sets of shit games. X/Y had shit villains, the worst pokedex to date, the worst region to date, and introduced two unnecessary gimmicks, Fairy type and megas.
ORAS is worse than the originals. Leveled down gym leaders, piss easy "rival" who heals you after every encounter, Steven literally hands you a legendary with it's mega stone, and there's more, but this is long enough as it is.
So here's how it breaks down. Gen 5=Gen 4=Gen 3>Gen 2>Gen 1>Gen 6
Hopefully generation 7 will be great, the best even. But Gen 6 is unequivocally the worst.
>>
>>26371512
>Why the hell would that shit be boring?
Imagine this anon, you're at the climax of the story and shit is going down.
The villain is has lost control of his weapon and you've arrived to defeat him.
Succeeding, he gives you a speech about not giving up his plans

Then he walks away, no last ditch attempt or loss of composure, no anything.
That's gen 4.

Where any other game would continue the climax of a god story and take it to an exciting conclusion DPPt essentially cockblocks you. Platinum especially reduces that excitement even further because of the Distortion world and the fact there was nothing in it.
>>
>>26372083
>ORAS is worse than the originals.
getting real tired of this meem.
>>
You guys still falling for this shitty bait lmao
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.