[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I had an idea for an Original Meta for Showdown: OU [Strategic]
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: file.png (6 KB, 1146x114) Image search: [Google]
file.png
6 KB, 1146x114
I had an idea for an Original Meta for Showdown: OU [Strategic]
Disclaimer upfront: This is NOT, and I repeat, NOT supposed to represent an idealized OU. This is simply taking how OU is currently played and removing all luck-based elements to it.

The following moves get buffed to 100% accuracy:
>Hydro Pump
>Meteor Mash
>Zen Headbutt
>High Jump Kick
If High Jump Kick hits a Ghost-type, or if the opposing Pokemon uses Protect, or if the opposing Pokemon faints (low health Pokemon switching into hazards), or if the opposing Pokemon vanishes (Bounce, etc) the recoil still takes place.
>Draco Meteor
>Air Slash
>Fire Blast
>Hurricane
>Stone Edge
>Leech Seed
>Toxic
>Sleep Powder
>Will-O-Wisp
>Any other move commonly used in OU that I'm missing.

The following effects take place:
>Critical hits no longer exist.
>Paralysis now only lowers Speed.
No full Paralysis.
>Burn now only lowers Attack.
>All secondary effects that can take place from an attack - flinching, Defense drops, etc - can no longer take place.
These moves still receive a Sheer Force boost.
Fake Out is the obvious exception here.
>Scald now has a 100% chance to burn. Again, no burn damage is dealt.
>Damage dealt now averages out all damage rolls and uses that as a fixed amount.
See pic.
>If a speed tie occurs, both moves are carried out within the same turn.
If a Mega Lopunny is against a Manectric and the Mega Lopunny goes for Return and the Mega Manectric goes for Thunderbolt, both Pokemon will lose HP from the others' attacks, even if one would result from a faint.
If one Pokemon used a move that would result in a switch - in the above scenario, Mega Manectric going for Volt Switch as Mega Lopunny uses High Jump Kick - the switch takes place at the end of the turn, unless Mega Manectric faints, then the switch does not happen at all.
This is dumb, but speed ties don't happen often enough for this to be too significant of a factor.

Character limit, so continued in next post.
>>
>>26222647
????
>>
>>26222647
Sounds awful, keep dreaming, anon. Also,
>If a speed tie occurs, both moves are carried out within the same turn.
Don't you want it strategic? Make it like back then when speed ties were ABBA and you could guess who would win it.
>>
File: 380.png (15 KB, 387x290) Image search: [Google]
380.png
15 KB, 387x290
Continued from OP

>no longer hit yourself in Confusion
Forgot to include this. Basically anything that prevents a move from happening barring Fake Out an no longer happen. Confusion does nothing in this OM.
>The Sleep turn counter is now always two turns.
Again, removing luck.

>But aren't moves like Hydro Pump balanced by the fact that there are higher accuracy moves to use? Doesn't this make Surf, Flamethrower etc useless?
This is true. However, the point of running Hydro Pump on Choice Specs Keldeo is to annihilate anything that thinks it can come in:
>252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 153-180 (47.2 - 55.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

The trade-off is that you are locked into Choice Specs.

>But Hurricane is balanced by its accuracy, and you can run Rain to have 100% accuracy!
Pokemon like Tornadus-T run Hurricane because Air Slash does not deal enough raw damage. In this meta, this is cut out.

Basically the point of these changes is that win conditions that are flinch/miss/crit/paralyze/any other form of hax are eliminated.

Again, this is NOT supposed to represent an idealized OU. Obviously some of the changes are dumb, like Burn no longer dealing damage (for the trade-off of Scald always Burning and lowering attack). Slowbro runs Scald to fish for burns, so we're just going to cut out the bullshit and give it the burn. This gives him an advantage by negating any physical attacker that wants to come in, but this would also hurt Keldeo by buffing the Lai twins as a true counter to it unless lolspecs Icy Wind

>Are you just mad you got haxed
to be honest pretty much family
I'm also curious in seeing how it would look. It would become a game of pure strategy. I am aware that Pokemon is not supposed to be about pure strategy. That's why this is being proposed as an OM, not a new format. Remember when _____iate abilities were given to everyone? It's on the same level of dumbness as that.
>>
>>26222647
So basically every team would be a HO team now.
>>
>>26222912
Just how op wants it
>>
>>26222912
The only change that works against Stall is the paralysis one, which I am fine with.
>>
>>26222647
I know this sounds like a lie coming from a 4chan anon, but I'm not saying this to be mean or sarcastic or an asshole. Your whole idea is absolutely terrible. Just horrible, this would make for the most boring battles, further over centralize the meta even more, remove almost all fun, and make a ton of moves, items, and Pokemon completely useless. Cool concept, awful implementation. Sorry OP but just wow shit idea.
>>
>>26223422
You're allowed to disagree. You are also allowed to not play it.

>Make for the most boring battles
How?
>Overcentralize the meta even more
How?
>Remove almost all fun
How?
>Make a ton of moves, items, and Pokemon completely useless
What would be made useless that was already not used in OU? Nothing in OU runs Flamethrower over Fire Blast, or Surf over Hydro Pump. The High Jump Kick changes benefit Lopunny and MegaCham greatly and don't change their checks/counters (Lopunny is still walled by Slowbro, Skarm, TankChomp; MegaCham still walled by Sableye)

I appreciate you being nice, but I would appreciate more if you explained your post a bit.
>>
>>26222647
>>26222839
"I got screwed by something I couldn't perfectly foresee" the post

If you spend half as much time getting gud as you did on this autistic bullshit, then maybe you would have a team that could be prepared for when luck deals you a shitty hand.
>>
>>26224026
I literally acknowledged that I was upset by hax, but I was more interested in seeing how it would play out without luck.

>Prepare for luck
???
>>
>>26224129
Acknowledging it doesn't make it less retarded. The luck in pokemon are known quantities, so it isn't impossible to prepare for what may come your way. It's called being competent.
Scared of paralysis, that's why berries, Limber, electric types, and Heal Bell exist. Worried about sleep, again, abilities, berries, and Heal Bell work wonders. Those not bothering you, it's critical hits? Maybe invest into some defense if you're so paranoid, or speed and don't let them hit you. Put it into attack and use a focus sash. It isn't hard. Accuracy? Well there's only one item I can think of that increases accuracy, the wide lens, and I'd only recommend it on a pokemon who uses at least 2 inaccurate moves, but it's a game, not one of those fucking safe spaces where everything is going to go your way. You hit, you get the critical hit, nice. Sometimes thunder will whiff and you lose a turn. If you have a well put together team a setback or two won't mean the end of the battle.
>>
File: tumblr_ncu80nkJTE1qmthqlo1_250.png (64 KB, 173x209) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ncu80nkJTE1qmthqlo1_250.png
64 KB, 173x209
>>26224486
Did you miss the three times where I said this is not meant to represent an idealized vision of OU?

This is ONLY an idea for an original meta where I tried to take OU and preserve its playstyle while removing any chance.

>Pokemon is supposed to have luck
I already acknowledged this, too. Again: it's an OTHER METAGAME, not "this is how to fix ou"
>>
>>26224533
And I point out while you did this you could be not sucking at dealing with the actual game. With what you're proposing we may as well just be back battling via link cable in 3rd grade when the only moves we ever used were earthquake and hyper beam.

Also, this idea for a meta isn't original. /vp/ has seen plenty of salty fags come in her with the exact same idea trying to get feedback and every time they get called fags and dumb asses and told to git gud. If you've been here for long, then you should have expected this reaction.
>>
File: 14243145500081.jpg (55 KB, 514x440) Image search: [Google]
14243145500081.jpg
55 KB, 514x440
>>26224681
>With what you're proposng we may as well just be battling with Hyper Beam and Earthquake
Do you play OU and think: "I'm going to win this battle from my opponent missing Focus Blast, making sure their Bisharp gets fully paralyzed, and then 2HKOing their Clefable with a critical Hydro Pump!"
Absolutely none of these changes will change how OU is played. I did that for a reason. The link cable metaphor makes no sense here.

>Plenty of fags have come with the same idea
I've been here since early BW2. I've seen people complaining about crits, complaining about flinches, but never an alternate format where these things are changed entirely and OU is turned into a pure game of strategy.

>You should have expected this reaction
I did. Which is why I put three fucking disclaimers saying this does not represent an idealized OU and retards like you still manage to miss them.
>>
Here's a better idea. It's still retarded, just not as retarded as OP's idea.

>Natural Cup
Mons can only use level-up moves that they and their earlier stages can learn
>>
>>26222647
You forgot making protect always fail on consecutive uses. other than that most of this seems solid.

I like the idea and it'd be interesting to see what happens, the only thing I think is dumb is the burn change. Leave the passive damage and just remove scald's burn chance. Make it super effective against ice types or something instead. Under your rules it'd become a much more widespread version of will-o-wisp and bulky waters would just become stupid.

But yeah, would be neat to see how things chance with paraflinch and all that jazz gone.
>>
File: 1398503749420.png (107 KB, 442x650) Image search: [Google]
1398503749420.png
107 KB, 442x650
>>26224839
This sounds interesting.

>>26224905
You're right, I forgot about that. Forgot to make Play Rough 100% accurate as well.

I made Scald 100% burn because that's how it's payed in the current meta. I hate it too, and I would rather it not have a burn chance at all, but Scald is a huuuuge move in every form of competitive. Might as well cut out the bullshit and just make the burn chance standard, right?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.