[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /vp/ think of cross-gen counterparts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4
File: gyarados milotic after.png (158 KB, 716x448) Image search: [Google]
gyarados milotic after.png
158 KB, 716x448
What does /vp/ think of cross-gen counterparts
>>
>>24626723
>Tauros and Miltank
>Gyarados and Milotic
They're pretty cool. Kinda wish newer games had same
>>
>>24626738
>entire gen1 and gen5 dex
>>
>>24626723
that some have weird balance measures
like how milotic can't learn calm mind for example, which should compense gyarados's dragon dance, however gyarados on its own doesn't have any form of recovery outside of rest
fair enough, i'm fairly sure competitive was given to it to as answer to gyarados intimidate and dragon dance, there's no other explanation

heracross and scizor or pinsir or whatever is the threesome also ended very well with the mega introduction all have their niche

slowking and bellossom are probably the ones that have suffered the most since still cannot really compete with their counterparts, same for mismagius that got overshadowed by other ghosts and honchkrow in usage

rest is whatever

carnivine should have been a weepinbell evo with the same victreebel bst and bellsprout egg moves
>>
I think Jirachi and Diancie go together well.
>>
>>24626755
Calm mind milotic would be way too good
>>
>>24626723

Bullshit because 1 counterpart is always way shititer then the other. Pinsir had no advantages or stand out traits against heracross before megas.

Sam goes for most counter parts.
>>
>>24626773
>way too good
That's never stopped GameFreak before.
>>
>>24626746
Gen5 is Gen1's poor ripoff not counterpart.
>>
>>24626723

>cross-gen counterparts

EWW!!! FUCKING RIPOFFS THEY'RE OUT OF IDEAS! THEY'RE TERRIBLE! REHASH!
>>
>>24626781
Gen 5 is far better than Gen 1 in every and each way
>>
Every single Pokemon game since RS is a failed attempt to recapture the success and "magic" of the Game Boy days. Cross-gen counterparts are the most obvious sign of this.

It doesn't help that most of them are shitmons. Tauros is better than Miltank, Gyarados is better than Milotic and Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan are better than Sawk/Throh.
>>
>>24626894
>Gyarados is better than Milotic
they have different playstyles
>>
>>24626925

Gyarados is one of the best Water types in the game. Milotic is outclassed by Slowking, Empoleon, Alomomola and Vaporeon.
>>
>>24626888
Not gonna bite.
>>
>>24626894
And Staraptor and Talonflame are better than Pidgeot, Diggersby is better than Raticate, Conkeldurr is better than Machamp, Excadrill is better than Sandslash, Tyrantrum is the best fossil mon, Ferrothorn is better than Exeggutor and the list goes on.

What's your point?
>>
>>24626975

Diggersby is better than Raticate, but Watchog, Furret, Linoone and Bibarel are not (unless you dig up a 10 year old GC game in Linoone's case). All those Pokemon would be better off, it if wasn't for Game Freak's determination to make the next Raticate.
>>
File: 1442026753760.png (507 KB, 1310x1154) Image search: [Google]
1442026753760.png
507 KB, 1310x1154
>>24627051
I wish they'd just make Raticate good. The only regional "rodent" that's an actual rodent.
>>
>>24626953
But, its the truth.
>>
File: 1427309448727.jpg (73 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1427309448727.jpg
73 KB, 550x550
>>24626755
Use slowking he is as useful as slowbro. You just run him differently
>>
>>24626755
It's because Gyarados is supposed to be offensive and Milotic defensive. So Gyarados gets setup moves and Milotic gets recovery moves.
>>
>>24627062
>beaver
>not a rodent
>groundhog
>not a rodent
>>
>>24627062
I have a feeling you don't know what classifies as a rodent.
>>
#justice4megamilotic
>>
>>24626949
>Slowking, Empoleon, Alomomola and Vaporeon
Slowking is the only one of those examples that is good all around. The others rely on the situations they find themselves in.
Empoleon is Earthquake bait.
Alomomola can't take on hard-hitting special attackers.
And Vaporeon needs significant set-up to start being good.
>>
>>24626755
I don't see why Slowbro is better than Slowking. They're practically the same, just put the EVs in different places.
>>
>>24627288
Oh wait, I just remembered Slowbro's got a Mega, that kind of does make 'bro better.
>>
>>24626781
>Bouffalant not better than Tauros
>Alomomola not better than Luvdisc
>Garbodor not better than Muk
>Woobat not better than Zubat
>Whimsicott/Lilligant not better than Vileplume/Victreebel
>Audino not better than Chansey
>still liking Golem over Gigalith
>>
>>24627357
And he's weaker to Knock Off.
>>
>>24627051
Bibarel, Linoone, and Furret are actually all better than Raticate. Bibarel for its abilities, Linoone for Belly Drum and a vastly better movepool, and Furret for utility in Frisk, Trick, and Knock Off. Raticate has nothing beyond a shitty Guts/Hustle set that's far too slow (and Sucker Punch doesn't help much).
>>
>>24626781
>>24626953
Why are Gen1 fanboys so stupid?
>>
http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Counter-part_Pok%C3%A9mon

These are counterparts, OP.
>>
>>24627435
Nostalgia does things to you, man.
>>
I'm disappointed we haven't gotten another Pokemon like Gyrados/Milotic.
>>
>>24627435
man-child mentality makes them retarded
>>
>>24627485
>cross-gen

>>24627523
This. And Unova with Basculin was probably the best opportunity to do so
>>
>>24627561
Exactly, I'm still holding out for one I just don't know how it would be stat wise.
>>
>>24627561

There's no such thing as cross-gen counterparts asides from headcanon/things that happen to look similar.
>>
>>24627576
It's not a coincidence that some gen V pokemon are similar to Gen I pokemon. The similarities were deliberate desu.
>>
>>24627062
M-raticate.
gains dark typing to give boosts to sucker punch and crunch
rapid fang - bite based attacks deal a second hit with 1/2 of the damage.
atk +30
SpA -10
Def+ 20
SpD +10
spe+50

him learning elemental bites would help
>>
>>24627576
M8 some pokemon in the link posted dont even have any in-game relationship, nor similarity in stats/movepool.
>>
>>24627613

They're version exclusives and take each other's place in certain routes/areas. That's literally what a counterpart is.
>>
>>24627627
Well the majority of people here clearly dont mean that what you are forcing. We are talking about pokemon from different generations that evoke the same image, perform similar roles/niche
>>
>>24626723

Mostly great except for making the counterpart obsolete sometimes.
>>
>>24627641
This. I wish they keep in mind to allow some difference in playstyles so you can run them in the same team, if you wish to run themes, that is
>>
>>24627062
Today I learned squirrels, beavers and rabbits are not rodents
>>
>>24627435
>>24627506
>>24627540
>veiny, clown Machamp
>bigger Luvdisc
>Magneton, but with gears
>Bert and Ernie versions of the Hitmons
>pink Drowzee
>Poliwrath, now with more warts
Wow, what an amazing generation. Truly the pinnacle of the series.
>>
>>24627791
Also the trash bag, the third fire/fighting starter, the quadrupedal samurai and the ice cream, truly an awful Gen.
>>
>>24626738
these are fine, great even two very different designs
>>
>>24627822
Samurott is a battle mount, you're supposed to be the samurai by taking the swords hidden in his legs and riding it into battle...

Yeah, you're right. That IS very stupid. Holy Shit.
>>
>>24627776
>rabbits are not rodents
Well, this one is actually correct.
>>
Mega Milotic with Regenerator ability and Calm Mind & Slack Off when?
>>
>>24627927
It is indeed.
>>
>>24627406
>luvdisc
>gen 1
>>
>>24627776
>rabbits are not rodents
they arent
>>
>>24627791
I always felt the gen1 mons were more like prototypes. Gen5 advanced the designs further
>>
>>24626723
Typically I like them. Gyarados and Milotic are a great example of it, really. Outside of people unexpectedly powerful serpentine evolutions from dopey fish, and BST, they change up a lot of things about them that make them still feel like their own and not just rip offs of each other.
>One is focused on power, the other beauty
>One requires tedious level grinding with something weak, while the other formerly required believing something to be beautiful when it was ugly
>One is extremely rare while the other, extremely common

Pinsir, Heracross and Scizor make a really nice trio too. They're fun ideas.
>>
>>24628740

funny since the gen 1 artwork is more complex than the gen 5 counterparts. compare machamp's anatomy to conk's amorphous featureless blob body.
>>
>>24628795
Not that dude, but higher complexity doesn't necessarily equate to more advanced, especially in design. Sometimes shaving off unnecessary traits helps focus a design more.

Though, I dont necessarily agree with the guy you were responding to, because I think Machamp and Conks are different enough in concept and execution to be their own thing.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>24628795
Yes because Conkeldurr has a different concept that it needs to channel through its design

>>24628813
Exactly. Machamp is a super powered body builder/wrestler with some Hindu deity influence while Conkeldurr is an ogre/construction worker/strongman carnie.

What's interesting is that they both start having artificial objects by the middle stage (Machoke's belt and Gurdurr's Girder) and the last stage doubles their weapons (Machamp gets an extra pair of arms and Conkeldurr holds two construction materials instead of one) and despite the similarity in evolutionary patterns, they are still aesthetically different. Look at fighting type fakemons of the "premier" regional fighting type before gen V--they are simply muscular humanoids with no defining feature. Basically Machamp with a different color, hair, shorts but still a wrestler/body builder. Conkeldurr showed that GF could still make another Machamp without recycling their old inspirations.

However this isn't to say they have done excellently in gameplay as they should have done more to differentiate the two in terms of stats and movepool. Shame especially because I think both are amazing and would like to use both in a team
>>
>>24629435
Timburr has an artificial object too mongoloid
>>
>>24629441
Timber can be found in nature easy though.
>>
>>24627406
Apart from Whimsicott and Gigalith, no, they're not
>>
>>24629461
not in that shape
>>
I like to think that the Milotic is male and fucked Gyarados good in her ass. Now he's coiling up that bitch as they proceed to sleep.
>>
>>24627605
You just made m-kang now with stab suxker punch.

Get out
>>
>>24629516
You need to reevaluate yourself
>>
>>24627605
Does Rapid Fang apply to Super Fang?

>>24629931
No Fake Out though.
>>
>>24627605
Raticate has a godly special movepool. What if Mega Raticate were a special attacker?
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.