[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A reasonable argument, regarding Gen 6.5 vs. Gen 7
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 259x195
Let's for a moment, for the sake of argument, assume that what separates a Generation is Battle Compatibility. Ok. If we see new starters revealed by Gamefreak, it still means it's a completely new gen. Now don't stop reading here, let me explain why.

Battle Compatibility depends completely on the two games being able to communicate and understand information sent between them and agree on what that information means. This means that if new mechanics are added to the battles, let's say the move Leaf Blade's damage was changed from 90 to 95, this would break compatibility due to the games not agreeing on what it does in code.

New Pokemon and new forms of Pokemon will do this too, hence why we can't use certain Megas when fighting people using XY because XY doesn't have code for them. We already know at least two new Pokemon are being added to SM, meaning those Pokemon cannot be used to fight XY or ORAS.

However, it is still possible, highly unlikely, but possible that they will add a few, maybe less than 10 Pokemon, to SM, including a generic Route 1 Bird for some reason, but this would mean that these Pokemon are forever separated from the rest of Gen 6, stranded in SM, making it a sort of "Gen 6.5" If they were to add so few Pokemon that there is no point in not making the games battle compatible with the rest of Gen 6, there is no way new Starters are going to be used, they will just use the old ones instead. Why add nine new pokemon to lead the addition of nine others tops?

(TBC)
>>
(Continuation)

If they add new starters however, along with new legendaries, it all but confirms SM is a new generation of Pokemon. Want to know why? Because in order to justify the addition of nine new starter pokemon and evolutions, there has to be at least as many Pokemon as Gen 6 introduced, with a new region and a new professor to give out new starters. Even if that region is Southern Kalos. Why?

Because why make SM Battle Compatible with ORAS or XY when 70+ Pokemon can't be used to fight people playing those games? This would be a huge separation between the new and old games that would make the online battle scene an absolute nightmare. It would mean that in order to fully be able to fight with other players, one must have a copy of SM, which begs the question, "Why would Gamefreak restrict themselves from balancing old moves and adding new mechanics to the game just so SM can stay compatible with XY and ORAS, when everyone is going to battle SM with SM for the new Pokemon anyway?" It's horrific game design. When tossing battle compatibility would mean people are forced to buy SM to stay up to date while also fixing the compatibility problem.

Keeping battle compatibility means sacrificing serious updates to the games after three years, all to keep a function that is rendered moot by the addition of new Pokemon anyway. We all know Gamefreak has made some stupid decisions in the past, but nothing remotely of this caliber.

So tell me. If we are to see the confirmed new starters introduced in Pokemon Sun & Moon, even of Zygarde is of importance, even if the region is Southern Kalos, how can anyone say, using the Compatibility and Mechanics argument, that SM are still Gen 6?

I will take my "OP is a fag"s now
>>
>>25787851
Good post.
>>
>>25787859
>Want to know why? Because in order to justify the addition of nine new starter pokemon and evolutions, there has to be at least as many Pokemon as Gen 6 introduced
No. That's a logic leap. They're perfectly capable of introducing only starters and legendaries and barely making anything else. If anything, starters and legendaries are the MOST LIKELY Pokemon they'll make if they make any new Pokemon at all because starters and legendaries are the most marketable.

>"Why would Gamefreak restrict themselves from balancing old moves and adding new mechanics to the game just so SM can stay compatible with XY and ORAS, when everyone is going to battle SM with SM for the new Pokemon anyway?"
Don't think of it as a restriction. Think of it as something they don't have to spend time worrying about.

OP is a fag.
>>
>>25787888
>Logic Leap
No it's not, it's basic sense. Why add new starters and new legendaries for Kalos again? There's no way they are adding a new region with no new big roster of pokemon, and there is no way they are you are getting new starters for the same region. It's assets wasted for nothing. It doesn't make sense.

>Implying Gamefreak has never had time to adjust moves and mechanics
>>
>>25787962
>Why add new starters and new legendaries for Kalos again?
Who the fuck said anything about Kalos? The game is going to be in a Hawaii placed region.

>>Implying Gamefreak has never had time to adjust moves and mechanics
Every mid gen game ever.
>>
>>25787987
>Did you read the second sentence Anon?

>Mid Gen games intentionally keep mechanics same for same of compatibility because there is no reason to make Platinum not compatible with Pearl if no new Pokemon are added because they there is no incentive for people to get it.
>>
OP has some good points. Gen 6.5 seemed pretty reasonable during the short time after the logos leaked, but after the direct it seems pretty clear that we're getting Gen 7, even if it's half-assed and has close ties to XY.
>>
>>25788017
ORAS introduced 20+ new megas and it changed nothing in terms of mechanics. I don't see your point.

The Pokemon and the fucking region is incentive enough for people to get the game.

>>25788031
>OP has some good points

He really doesn't. His logic is broken as all fuck.
>>
>>25788039
First, Megas are not new Pokemon
Second, those Megas can't be used to fight XY
Third, I have said it is possible that they will add a few new pokemon and keep this gen 6, you seem to have not read my entire post
Fourth, I said that the new region and new pokemon would make people get SM. What you missed is that keeping SM compatible with ORASXY is a pointless thing to do due to those new pokemon, and would restrict even the tiniest change, making no sense why they would restrict themselves like that.

You have clearly not read my entire post, please do so before continuing.
>>
>>25788090
>First, Megas are not new Pokemon
The consequence is no different.

>Second, those Megas can't be used to fight XY
Exactly my point. So it wouldn't be any different from new Pokemon in SM.

>What you missed is that keeping SM compatible with ORASXY is a pointless thing to do due to those new pokemon
It's not pointless. It saves them time. Just like it does with every mid-gen game. If they can hold off on making changes on other mid-gen games they can do the same fucking thing this time.

>You have clearly not read my entire post, please do so before continuing.
No. I have. Your argument is just flawed.
>>
>>25788140
You clearly did not read my entire post. I have said multiple times that adding a few pokemon would be Ok to keep Gen 6 but adding 70+ would make it a nightmare.
>It saves time
Why didn't Gamefreak do that to save time when they made DP? Or BW? Why is it every time they add new pokemon, not just forms, they also change the mechanics? The reason? Because due to the fact that they were adding new Pokemon, it was there chance to update the mechanics since compatibility was going to be fucked anyway, meaning they didn't have to care about it.

>My Argument is flawed

YOUR argument is that they will not update the mechanics and just add new Pokemon, fucking up compatibility anyway, so they can save fucking up the compatibility for later. It makes no sense what so ever
>>
>>25788258
>but adding 70+ would make it a nightmare

But it wouldn't. And it's perfectly possible that they'll add less than 70.

>Why didn't Gamefreak do that to save time when they made DP? Or BW?
Because they're new gens.

>Why is it every time they add new pokemon, not just forms, they also change the mechanics?
Because it was a coincidence before. Now they clearly don't care since ORAS happened.

>YOUR argument is that they will not update the mechanics and just add new Pokemon, fucking up compatibility anyway
Adding new Pokemon doesn't fuck up compatibility any more than ORAS fucked up compatibility.
>>
>>25788405
10% of all Pokemon being unusable would be a Nightmare, especially since those 10% are the ones everyone wants to use.
>Add less than 70
Not with new Starters, not significantly less, it would be pointless
>Because their new gens
But you said that Gamefreak doesn't want to add new mechanics because they want to save time, so why would they do that ever?
>Coincidence
Being this retarded, holy christ...
>Implying 10% of the game not working is not fucked up
>>
>>25788464
>10% of all Pokemon being unusable would be a Nightmare

So would 50% of all megas. But ORAS managed just fine.

>Not with new Starters, not significantly less, it would be pointless
No. Like I said starters are the most marketable and popular. They don't need to add that many other Pokemon.

>But you said that Gamefreak doesn't want to add new mechanics because they want to save time, so why would they do that ever?
Because they want to change things up. But they don't do it every game.

>Being this retarded, holy christ...
It is. Did you miss the memo on ORAS adding new moves and abilities mid-gen when every gen before hasn't?
>>
>>25788487
50% of Megas wouldn't be a Nightmare because they aren't full Pokemon, I can still use a Sceptile to fight XY. Not being able to use the 70+ new pokemon everyone bought the games specifically for would be a nightmare.

Why waste time, money, assets and marketing making Starters foe a Game devoid of new pokemon? I don't think you understand how Pokemon is supposed to work.

Gamefreak wants to not add new mechanics, but also add new mechanics... They don't do it every game, but they do it every time a Game with a completely new, unrelated to any other pokemon game name with new Pokemon with new Pokedex numbers are released because that is there best and only opportunity to do so.

> What is Freeze Shock, What is Ice Burn?
>>
for the love of god this is gen 7 can we stop making threads about this fake issue
>>
>>25788614
>I can still use a Sceptile to fight XY.

But you can't use Mega Sceptile. And 50% of the megas "are the ones everyone wants to use" so it's still an issue according to you.

>Why waste time, money, assets and marketing making Starters foe a Game devoid of new pokemon?
Because new starters are still new starters. There are plenty of games without new Pokemon period.

>but they do it every time a Game with a completely new, unrelated to any other pokemon game name with new Pokemon with new Pokedex numbers are released because that is there best and only opportunity to do so.

No. It's just a coincidence. There will be another set of games in one or two years and THEN they'll change the mechanics.
>>
for the love of god this is gen 6 can we stop making threads about this fake issue
>>
>>25788693
No one bought ORAS for the Megas, they bought it for the remake. Forms =/= Full fledged Pokemon

There are no new gens with no new pokemon, and there are no Pokedex numbers added mid gen, period.

I feel like you are just being a contrarian at this point, or you are retarded enough to think new mechanics and new pokemon (NOT FORMS), both things that would fuck up compatibility, would be introduced at the same time.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.