[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unpopular Opinion: I thought the ice cream pokemon line was really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 16
File: Cutee.png (382 KB, 914x914) Image search: [Google]
Cutee.png
382 KB, 914x914
Unpopular Opinion: I thought the ice cream pokemon line was really cute and not that bad
>>
File: tumblr_m50c0pGqTK1qczibyo1_500.gif (438 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m50c0pGqTK1qczibyo1_500.gif
438 KB, 500x281
Ditto.

I think they get most of their hate from how for years, everyone who fell out of pokemon after gen 1 would joke about new pokemon designs, and fake pokemon based on food and inanimate objects were popular jokes/strawmen.

Then Gamefreak, after so many years, makes a pokemon thats [an icicle with regular snow on top with a friendly face to lure prey in] and its like a great prophecy has been fulfilled for the non-fans.
>>
It seems like most people who object to it just don't think it has a place in the Pokemon roster. The design itself isn't bad, it's just a bit comical, which can be an issue when it shows up in places like N's showdown of destiny roster at the end of B/W.

It also doesn't help that the start of gen 5 wanted you to only have access to new Pokemon. That's not the way you want to go if you want your fans to accept new designs in with the existing cast. That exacerbated the feeling of them being alien and weird to a lot of people.

Vanilluxe just got singled out because it was one of the more "out there" additions.
>>
>>25711351
>>25711422
The only thing I don't like is the Shiny.

They should've made the "cone" light beige for the shiny at least.
>>
>>25711351
Ditto and Mew should both be Uber because they can copy any Mega and use an item. Is a good thing that they can't copy HP (Ditto 48, Mew 100)

Just imagine being attacked by a Mega Mawile with 100 HP.
>>
>>25711351
I've always liked both the Vanillite and Trubbish lines.

The people who have problems with these two Pokemon lines have absolutely no clue just what a Pokemon can be or is. They don't understand that Pokemon design can be silly and odd from time to time.

Nor do they understand what creativity really is. They don't understand that taking a concept and turning it into a working monster design is honestly creative. Even very simple design concepts can be creative when proper designs are placed onto them.

Pokemon has always had some odd and strange creatures, so singling out Trubbish and Vanillite is the most asinine thing.

People also don't seem to realize that the Vanillite line is simply icicles with snow on top, and that it was apparently this Pokemon that inspired the concept of ice cream in the Pokemon world.
>>
>>25711468
Ditto is any tier it wants.
>>
>>25711351
>>25711422
Its not my favourite, but its not bad. An ice cream Pokemon is nothing sinister, and I don't know why everyone assumes it is. Its not even primarily based on ice cream.
>>
File: 1383495394281.png (26 KB, 676x581) Image search: [Google]
1383495394281.png
26 KB, 676x581
I have never gotten aroused by a Pokemon.
>>
I don't think Samurott's design is bad In fact, I think its design is better than Empoleon, for example.

I don't think Fairy types was a bad addition, but it could have been better implemented
>>
I actually appreciate their design now because of the get a load of this guy
>>
>>25711509
Nor have I.
>>
>>25711351
Agreed. I'd go from liking it to loving it if it didn't have the unnecessary ice diamonds on its head.
>>
I think so too

>>25711422
This king
>>
>ohhh look at my post

stop being so smug.
>>
File: 4642912.jpg (63 KB, 250x245) Image search: [Google]
4642912.jpg
63 KB, 250x245
>>25711514
>I don't think Samurott's design is bad
Mah nigga. What triggered my interest of picking Oshawott in BW was knowing that it used it's shell as weapon and shield. Seeing that it's evolutions further highlights the warrior theme with samurai motifs into actual armor and weapons made of seashell, it became my favorite evolution line. Too bad one else sees this progression in the way I do.
>>
>>25711768
>Too bad no one else
I meant to say that. Whoops.
>>
>>25711351
It's still a pretty trash design. But it's not even one of the reasons I hate gen 5.
>>
>>25711487
>Trubbish line
I think that if Garbodor was a Poison/Steel type they wouldn't get so much hate. They have better design than Muk and Swalot lines, tho
>>
>>25711509
>>25711533
ITT: Lies
>>
File: 24354.png (1 MB, 1800x704) Image search: [Google]
24354.png
1 MB, 1800x704
>>25711768
People always call Samurott a sea lion, but I can't help but think its just a more defined otter. Its still looks like one, just not in the same style as Oshawott.
>>
>>25711351
I like how pwoplw deny it's design. Don't you DARE fucking tell me you haven't at least once thought of how cool and icecream Pokemon would be when you were a kid, the fact is, we are growing up, so we notice things easier, if these Pokemon were released back in gen 1, when we were younger, and noticed less flaws and thought everything was cool, we would love them.
>>
>>25712216
I had the same feelings with Electrode as a child and I still have them
>>
>>25712245
I'm sure electrode was universally hated, not just for design either.
>>
My unpopular opinion is I enjoyed every gen of pokemon. I have no hard negative feelings on any game and could easily replay any game.
>>
>>25711430
I think the vanillite line got singled out not simply because it was 'out there' but because it didn't any sense per the game's established internal-logic. The pokemon games were always about a kind of 'naturalism' where the monsters were meant to exist as the results of an alternate world's evolution/natural selection.

The trubbish line is really a regular kind of monster that covers itself and consumes human trash and repurposes it into armor. That makes sense to the games established rules.

All ghost pokemon basically get a free-pass in this regard. Litwick looks like a human candle because it's a ghost that possossed a candle or shaped its body to resemble one intentionally.

Human made ones like magnemite are self explanatory.

A regular monster who is shaped coincidentally like a confectionary desert doesn't make any immediate sense. It's not a ghost and to make things weirder it has a 'straw'. I get the whole 'it's an icicle covered in snow and in the pokemon world ice cream cones where inspired by it' but this just feels contrived and doesn't explain it having a straw. I would buy this argument completely if the vanillite line's resemblance to ice cream cones were slightly more vague or approximate rather than 'literally my mom's ice cream cone with eyes'.
>>
>>25712275
There's another, finally. Ever since I came here its gen war after gen war. Why do people want to argue the same subjective thing over and over again.?
>>
>>25712275
Same here.
>>
>>25712290
That's what I meant, I just didn't have the patience to word it so well.
>>
File: 4PESn-1.jpg (130 KB, 567x371) Image search: [Google]
4PESn-1.jpg
130 KB, 567x371
>>25712127
I think it's lack of of the triangular dark ears as Sea lions don't have ears like that. Since Samurott is wearing a helmet, it probably still has those ears which will further highlight why it was connected with otter-like creatures.
>>
>>25711351
>>25711422
Literally. A. Yokai. Watch.
>>
>>25712433
OMG he is just a big Dewott!!!
>>
>>25711351
I like Torterra's line. Especially Grotle.
>>
>>25711351
I still think the concept is shit and the face is yokai-watch tier, although I can at least tolerate Vanillite. There's absolutely no reason why it should have been a three-stage evolution line though. People shit on gen 1 designs for just being "literally X but bigger" or "literally 3 X stuck together", but this evolution line was pretty much just that. Vanillish didn't need to exist, Vanillite and Vanilluxe would have been just fine.
>>
>>25713850
If it was Yokai Watch it would be actual ice-cream and wafer cone.
>>
>>25715006
? No
>>
>>25713850
>Literally. A. Yokai. Watch.
>Yokai watch came out in 2013 in Japan
>5th gen came out in 2011
You children spewing memes to hate on gen 5 aren't even trying.

>inb4 the child meant it's design is Yokai watch tier
It really isn't. Just look at the fucking Yokai watch designs. Your 'argument' for why it's shit, is itself shit.
>>
>>25714103
this is some next level bait right here.
>>
>>25715006
Vanillite is a literal icecream with a blue wafer cone though.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n0sv8jEpHx1qmbakw.png (166 KB, 310x219) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n0sv8jEpHx1qmbakw.png
166 KB, 310x219
>>25715472
Except it's not. It's literally an icicle monster that is covered in snow.
Ice and snow = natural material
Ice cream and waffle cones = man made material
>>
>>25715403
>memes
>childish
Fuck off retard. A Yokai Watch is a Yokai Watch, regardless of what route you're in
>>
>>25712290
I have a problem with this argument. I get it, I see where you're coming form, but I think the main thing it denies is variety, which is the source of Pokemon's strength in their designs.

So I'm speaking as someone who doesn't particularly care about Vanilluxe one way or the other. It's pretty opposite of the type of pokemon I usually go for (I'm literally an edgemaster when it comes to my taste. Yes I am getting moon.), and I initially disliked it, but since then it's settled in a more neutral state in my mind.

Despite that, I like it's inclusion. What I fucking love about pokemon is, it's neigh impossible to look at any given Pokedex and NOT be able to pick out at least a single pokemon and say "yeah, I like the aesthetics of that thing." No doubt Pokemon's back bone is a more naturalistic feel.. I mean, the pokemon are talked about as if theyre real, living, indexable creatures with their own ecosystem and vague food chain, so when you have pokemon like Probopass or Unown, they stick out more, and Vanilluxe fits into that category. But I like that. Those pokemon are inherently unpopular, but they fit a niche that's necessary. I mean, hell, my brother loves the thing.. his taste is more in line with your typical /vp/er, with the Machamps, Reuniclus', Gengars.. but he loves Vanilluxe precisely because it's so retarded. It's derpy as fuck, full on Wario mode. We'll be having a serious match, his Conkeldurr and and Blastoise squaring off against my Hydreigon and Charizard.. real serious, typical battle mons.. and he'll just fucking whip out a god damned ice cream cone. And you know what? It's fucking funny.

I genuinely think it's a worthy addition and an easily ignorable one if you dislike it on a personal level. I really wouldn't want pokemon to change up their formula too much as far as aesthetics go, even if it benefited my taste directly. I like the bizarre ones on principle.
>>
>>25715831
a reminder that your range isn't unlimited
>>
I never wanted to catch em all.
>>
i think gen v is the best gen, i also think it has the best selection of mons.
i love every mon, and forgetting or hating any of them is for fucking plebs
i love /vp/, and i don't get why those so much negativity on not just this board, but all over 4chan, do you guys just hate living or something?
>>
I think Gen 5 is the best gen, even though Charizard is one of my favorite Pokemon.
>>
>>25715909

All of this
>>
>>25715909
Completely agree.

I dont know why people get so angry over other peoples taste... wouldnt it be boring as fuck if everyone liked the same things as everyone else? I like the variety.
>>
Doublade > Aegislash
>>
File: 1452311677393.jpg (76 KB, 551x650) Image search: [Google]
1452311677393.jpg
76 KB, 551x650
>>25716071
>>25716087
thank you for being real niggas
here, have this friends
>>
Vanilish line is top-tier bro
>>
Agreed. I don't hate Trubbish or Garbodor either. It's a unique idea. You literally had slime, a Pokeball, and magnets (all of which I liked), in Gen 1.
>>
File: Ketchupie.jpg (10 KB, 334x221) Image search: [Google]
Ketchupie.jpg
10 KB, 334x221
>>25711351
>object
>give it a smiley face
>good
>ever
>>
>>25716544
I like those two. Had a good run with them in Leaf Green and Red.
>>
>>25716873

I'd train it.
>>
File: 1457817572452.gif (365 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
1457817572452.gif
365 KB, 500x275
>I like regigigas
>I like unova
>gen 2 was bland

What is my crime for being honest?!
>>
>>25715638
If you're going to act like an ignorant child making false claims that you're pulling out of your ass at least try to back them up. Otherwise just sit your vocal ass down and shut the fuck up.
>>
File: Vanillite.jpg (245 KB, 637x1023) Image search: [Google]
Vanillite.jpg
245 KB, 637x1023
>>25712290

>The trubbish line is really a regular kind of monster that covers itself and consumes human trash and repurposes it into armor.

Where the hell are you getting this from? Trubbish is literally a pile of mobile trash. It is not a monster wearing garbage, it IS garbage.
>>
>>25711509
I thought being aroused by a Pokemon was beneath me.

Then Gen V happened.
>>
>>25717412
>Vanillite has a nose
Huh.
>>
>>25717412
And Muk is toxic waste. Who cares? Inanimate objects become pokemon all the time. What is everyone's problem?
>>
File: 1456904173133.jpg (33 KB, 345x269) Image search: [Google]
1456904173133.jpg
33 KB, 345x269
>>25719346
"Muh plausible wildlife" and "muh super animals" fans.
>>
>>25711351
My unpopular opinion:

I enjoy the hype around each new generation, but could never play another game.
I think Pokemon should be made by a different company, one that is willing to make the games the best they can be, not just make average content knowing it'll still be bought be children and die hard fans.
>>
>>25716873
It's just a worm that happens to look like a hot dog.
>>
>>25719358
it burrows into a bun to lure in prey.
>>
>>25716873
A hotdog Pokemon would likely be another dog design and the bun would be plating of another type. Maybe a half-Normal.
>>
I love using Vanilluxe, I caught it on my first Pokemon White play through and loved it
>>
File: genwar bingo.jpg (325 KB, 777x922) Image search: [Google]
genwar bingo.jpg
325 KB, 777x922
>>
>>25711451
>They should've made the "cone" light beige for the shiny at least.
That would imply its frozen piss instead of frozen water.
>>
>>25720333
should have been chocolate ice cream shiny
>>
File: 1443908841762.jpg (32 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
1443908841762.jpg
32 KB, 375x500
Whole lot of great taste in this thread. Keep it up
>>
>>25716947
>Likes Regigigas and Unova
You are guiltless, you beautiful creature
>>
>>25716947
everyone loves mah nigga regigigas i hope
>>
>>25716947
Other than it being a straight path, Unova was a fucking great region.
>>
>>25719448
>Normal/Rock, Solid Rock/Weak Armor
>A Dashund/Pinemartin inside a tube of rock
>Good defence, great speed, learns Will-o-wisp and plenty of other fire moves
>Evo gains Boar-ish features, has yellow and red razorback hair
Wouldn't even be mad
>>
>>25720377
Frozen mud/shit?

The only other possible alternative would have to be turquoise ice.
or if possible, translucent. As in the icicles on the in-game model are see-through.
>>
>>25720475
While the "main road" was a big circle, I enjoyed all the places that branched off the side in each route and settlement. I would more serpentine my way through somewhere rather that bee-line it.
And the post-game routes to explore were fantastic, too. Lots of waterfalls, caves, nooks, crannies, grottoes, and chasms to loot through.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.