[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of these GEN 5 Pokemon Day 16-Conkeldurr line
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 16
Sorry I've been taking too long with these threads lately, to the point where an anon had to hijack it to get on to the next Pokemon. Atleast that shows that some find these threads interesting atleast. I'll be sure to post these threads in shorter time from now on.
With that out of the way, today we look another 3-stage line. Yesterday was Audino, now it's the muscle-bound construction workers, Timburr, Gurdurr, and Conkeldurr.
My thoughts: There's atleast...2 Gen 5 Pokes down the line that I believe possess a balance of looking silly and cool at the same time. The Conkeldurr line has a...60/40 ratio on that. On one hand it is pretty cool how they wield building materials in battle. Timburr with his little 2x4, Gurdurr with a steel beam, and finally Conkeldurr wielding 2 freaking massive concrete pillars to bash its foes with. On the other, 60 hand, they look really silly, starting with Gurdurr. You'd honestly believe that the concept behind these Pokes amounts to construction worker clowns. There's also the names...Conkeldurr is supposed to be pronounced as conkelder, but I'm sure that most of use originally thought it was pronounced Conkel-DURRRRR.
Competitively, I rarely use it, but I do know that Conkeldurr is one of the best fighting types in the meta.
Overall-eh, cool Pokemon, but not my favorite fighting types by a mile.
>>
>>25697133
I really like them. I think their line is much better than the machamp line except machoke is much better than gurdurr
>>
File: lil' ernieeee.jpg (2 KB, 125x115) Image search: [Google]
lil' ernieeee.jpg
2 KB, 125x115
>>25697133

Eh, nice ideas, but ruined with minor details.
Specifically, the weird, rubbery veins stretched across their body. I don't want to know what touching one feels like, but I'm sure it'd be horrible. And they are definately meant to be veins (probably to show tensing muscles and imply strength)

Plus, Conceldurr's nose looks fucking dumb. Pic related
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1566x881) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1566x881
>>25697133
About time!

As an avid Machamp fan, I've been looking for a counterpart that could present some challenge or could be considered as a same tier/category as my main man.

Hariyama disappointed me and Gen 4 gave nothing but dual-typed fighting types (dont have anything against them but I really like monofight types).

I initially hated the line because they had an outright better stat distro and abilities but I could not deny their power so I respected Conkeldurr for that. I used one in my White run and I was satisfied.

My interest died a bit but fast forward to Y and I caught a shiny Gurdurr. I trained it to become a Conkeldurr and now sits beside Machamp as my top favorites.

People hate them because they're ugly. No shit sherlock. News flash: not all pokemon are meant to be cute or elegant. Some are meant to look menacing and capable of fucking you up and they could and their smirk is an indicatoon they know it.

As smogon puts it:

Machamp has been a force in the ring throughout all the previous generations, although its first shot at the big time was in GSC. Once Psychics got lowered from their peak and Fighters got their chops, Machamp's strengths became clear. Conkeldurr marks the first real contender to Machamp's throne. And those so-called legends? Fuhgettabout it. None of them has the courage to challenge either in a direct confrontation.

All in all 10/10, a solid bro
>>
>>25697133
The veins look horrible & could have done with being in more realistic places or at least not looking like swim rings (but then even now I see Machoke's stretch marks as open wounds so my eyes may be partly to blame)

I get that they have a slight basis in circus strongmen but the noses really irk me as well, especially on Gurrdurr
>>
>>25697426
I agree with all of this.
>>
>>25697426
>not all pokemon are meant to be cute or elegant. Some are meant to look menacing and capable of fucking you up
But these ones don't. They just look like clowns (& not even the scary sort)
>>
Shitty designs.

Low end Digimon tier
>>
>>25697133
The nose and the tumour pisses me off. It's the same reason why I dislike Stantler.
>>
>>25697470
Excellent taste, my man
>>
>>25697426
>People hate them because they're ugly. No shit sherlock. News flash: not all pokemon are meant to be cute or elegant.

Totally agree with this. Conkeldurr is not my bro, but my absolute favourite is hated for this too. That's a shame.
>>
Used a Sawk instead, never regretted a thing.
>>
>>25697979
Who's your favourite?
>>
Timburrrrr
Gurdurrrrr
Conkeldurrrrr
hurr
>>
insanely goofy but a great concept. middle one is a little weird but they always are.
>>
File: Shimazu_Yoshihiro.png (508 KB, 740x459) Image search: [Google]
Shimazu_Yoshihiro.png
508 KB, 740x459
>>25697133
>construction worker clowns
they also borrow inspirations from elder warlords
>>25697380
>Specifically, the weird, rubbery veins stretched across their body
You are correct about the tensing of muscles to imply strength but it also references the harness and vests that construction workers use
>Conceldurr's nose looks fucking dumb
reference to drunk elderly people (roughly 1/3 of Asians are unable to properly metabolize alcohol and it manifests in a "flush" to the cheeks or the nose
>>25697451
>veins look horrible & could have done with being in more realistic places
>noses irk me as well
see above note
>>25697558
>the tumour
a reference to the topknot (or "man bun") of the elderly Japanese feudal lords
>>
>>25697133
overall i don't like them. they look so much like construction workers i can't take them seriously in battle. timburr is kinda cute though i guess.
>>
>>25698096
>construction workers
>clowns
>circus strongmen
>elder warlords
>drunken elderly Asians
I like it when legendaries have multiple sources of inspiration with a lot of small-but-deep references, but all that just strikes me as too much on a regular 3-stage
>>
>>25698169
Here, let me simplify:
>carnie strongmen
"clown" really is a watered-down (borderline inappropriate) version because clowns are not carnie strongmen. Conkeldurr line do not have anything to do with clowns or making people laugh (i.e., Tickle, Fake Tears). They appear like clowns because of the nose, which is lifted from the
>drunk elderly feudal lords
and lastly,
>construction workers

So basically 3 clusters of inspirations. For perspective, Machamp draws inspiration from (1) body building, (2) professional wrestling and (3) Hindu deities. We could even include Kinnikuman as a pop culture reference.
>>
>>25698221
Hmm. Still not a fan of the aesthetics but thanks
>>
>>25697133
I only dislike Gurdur because of his weird hair
>>
File: conkeldurr does a ballet2.jpg (14 KB, 504x299) Image search: [Google]
conkeldurr does a ballet2.jpg
14 KB, 504x299
>>25698303
I won't hold that against you. Like I said, they were never meant to be easy on the eyes to begin with
>>
File: conkeldurr come at me bro.png (160 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
conkeldurr come at me bro.png
160 KB, 800x534
If anybody has beef with Conkeldurr, comment now or forever hold your piss
>>
File: image.png (800 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
image.png
800 KB, 1366x768
>>25698797
That's what I thought
>>
>>25697133
I hate the Fighting type in general, but Timburr and Conkeldurr are OK.
>>
>>25699824

faggot
>>
File: conk is pissed.jpg (31 KB, 166x166) Image search: [Google]
conk is pissed.jpg
31 KB, 166x166
>>25700267
You best be calling him faggot for his dislike of fighting types and not because of me, son
>>
>>25700487

the former.
>>
File: conking.png (24 KB, 807x804) Image search: [Google]
conking.png
24 KB, 807x804
>>25700501
You're cool, m8
>>
File: conk vs birb.png (575 KB, 1485x1050) Image search: [Google]
conk vs birb.png
575 KB, 1485x1050
Dumping some Conkeldurr before the thread ends in favor of the next pokemon line
>>
>>25697133

Timburr is pretty cool

Gurdurr and Conkeldurr, i don't hate, but I don't like em either.
>>
File: conkeldurr family.png (171 KB, 250x375) Image search: [Google]
conkeldurr family.png
171 KB, 250x375
"Don't worry about what others tell you kids. Just do the best you can and let our strength and viability do the talking."
>>
>>25697133
I like them a lot. One of those lines where seeing them in other media outside of the main games made me appreciate them more.
>>
>>25703081
Thank you, good anon!
>>
Goodnight lads
>>
I've always kinda like Timburr but at first I thought Gurdurr and Conkeldurr looked kinda weird. They've grown on me over time but there really aren't a lot of fighting types that I do like much.
>>
All that I have to say is that a fighting type learning rock moves by level up is OP
Wrecked me a few times going through white because of that.
>>
File: conkeldurr rock.png (200 KB, 643x548) Image search: [Google]
conkeldurr rock.png
200 KB, 643x548
>>25703330
I bet you could say it's infuriating
>>
conkeldurr is gay
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.