[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did you get into Pokemon? Why do you like it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 21
File: eternaforrest.png (67 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
eternaforrest.png
67 KB, 256x192
How did you get into Pokemon?
Why do you like it?
>>
>>25661225
>How did you get into Pokemon?
I got it because it looked fun. And everyone else had it.
>Why do you like it?
It's a nintendo game.
>>
>>25661225
I like collecting things and learing things.
Pokémon was the perfect and good game for that.
>>
File: 38039.png (63 KB, 835x1181) Image search: [Google]
38039.png
63 KB, 835x1181

I was given a Pokemon Ruby cartridge and a Game Boy Advance when I was 7 as a Christmas gift from my grandmother.

I was never the outgoing kind of kid so I immersed myself a lot into the game at first, but for some reason, the cartridge started failing to run the game and I would never make it beyond Route 118 to Route 119.

When I grew older, arround 16 or so, I found out about emulators and that you could play Pokemon on them.

I played Ruby again and finally managed to go beyond Route 118 and explored Hoenn's east coast.

I would eventually hit a dead end again, in Sootopolis, when I couldn't figure out where to go. I stopped playing again.

Some months later, by chance I found out about walktroughs and read that about the underwater cave you had to go in order to unlock the doors at Sootopolis' Gym.

That's how I got into Pokemon.
After that I downloaded all Pokemon titles and played most of them on emulators.

>Why do you like it?

It is a nostalgic feeling that revives childhood memories in the back of my head. A tangerine coloured, strawberry smelling, chocolate tasting kind of feel. Besides, it feels like it's a magic world of itself.
>>
I had a Game Boy and Pokémon looked fun so I got Blue a bit after it came out.
>>
>>25661225
Eterna forest is maxium comfy
>>
I ask myself this question every day OP.
I should've moved on after Gen V.
>>
i used to play on some autistic pokerpg forums when i as younger
>>
>>25661225

>How did you get into Pokemon

Mystery Dungeon, before that I only knew it from the anime. I still prefer PMD to the main series but I'll play both.
>>
>>25661225
>January 1999
>be me, age five and three quarters
>sister had recently passed away after years of terminal illness
>family organise big holiday in Gran Canaria as a mood/cohesion/whatever-booster
>apparently travelling two thousand miles is not enough of an escape for me
>mummy goes to a bootleg shop & buys me a Gameboy Colour & '16-in-1: Pokemon Gold!'
>play incessantly

I like it because of escapism & nostalgia. It was also my first vidya in general so that would also be the reason why I'm so into that
>>
I was 6ish Neighbor was nice enough to let me play with his GB and that was the first time I played Red Version... Been hooked ever since(game wise).
>>
>>25661281
>A tangerine coloured, strawberry smelling, chocolate tasting kind of feel
I find it fascinating that you can describe exactly how it feels to you in that way. Is that like a kinda synaesthesia thing?
>>
Got in it about a year ago. Started emulating Blue.
I had never played any pokemon related game, but I knew it was a big thing in the past and still is, so I was curious what the big deal is and started browsing /vp/.

What can I say, I like what I'm seeing so far. I've always liked games where you slowly get better equipment (pokemon) or/and unlock new abilities (moves etc) until you have a nice selection.
It's a bit of a shame that I didn't get in it when I was a kid as I will not get those "amazing moments forever in your memory" that everyone around here seems to have, but eh, I'm having fun.
>>
Randomly decided to get into it around mid 2012. Came here when X/Y got announced.
>>
File: 1458437623049.gif (534 KB, 383x446) Image search: [Google]
1458437623049.gif
534 KB, 383x446
>>25661365
Kinda.

I connect what I feel with some old memories with what I felt in other situations, in such a way I feel the same kind of thing in both situations, in which case, it would be the homely, pleasant summer wind that brings tears to my eye just by thinking of it.

It's more likely that I'm just autistic though. I've always been good with abstracting.

Sorry for making long replies out of short questions.
>>
in it from the start. if you were a kid during gen I it was mandatory that you play the games and have the cards. pokemon hype of the time was unbelievable, it was bigger than star wars.
>>
>>25661399
Hey, if I say I find something fascinating I'm not looking for a short reply. Cheers for that, Anon

Guess I find it interesting because I feel nostalgic when I'm around particular smells & other experiences, but I couldn't describe the feeling itself as being made up from those
>>
>>25661225
I don't quite remember, actually. I remember the first Pokemon game I got was Red and that it was in those huge plastic bundles with a Game Boy Color. I don't remember why I got it - it might've been because of the anime or because of a distant cousin that was emulating it and told me that Bulbasaur was a good starter.

One of those two, but I started playing the games and watching the anime at the same time.
>Why do you like it?
It's a simple game with relatively simple rules. There's exploration, collecting stuff, and seeing new things. It's kind of a relaxation game for me, where if I just want to unwind I can start a new game file and just enjoy myself for an hour or two.
>>
It was impossible to escape the Pokemon hype back then so I started with Blue. Was always loyal to the series and kept playing all the games, so I guess I skipped the "I only play mature games for mature people such as myself" phase people seem to enter during puberty.

There are many reasons why I like the games, but the most important one is probably the value they hold. I easily invest 100 hours into each Pokemon games and that's just for the versions I don't play that much. All other versions get well over 100 hours. You just couldn't ask for much more bang for your buck, basically.
>>
>>25661504
>if I just want to unwind I can start a new game file and just enjoy myself for an hour or two
The first few hours are always the most comfy, aren't they?
>>
>>25661225
Watched the show one day after kindergarten.
Was the first episode on and then proceeded to watch every new episode that camw out til like Hoenn sometime, then just randomly watched it.
But because of the show I got interested in more. Then for my 9th bday I got Red version from my parents and yellow version from my friend Rory.
Basically from that day on i was constantly playing pokemon discovering all its hidden secrets, until Gold and Silver came out abd I repeated the process.
Good fucking times man.
>>
>>25661281
Damn you are young.
>>
File: tumblr_nq235q2hbO1tbxedko1_1280.jpg (245 KB, 429x599) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nq235q2hbO1tbxedko1_1280.jpg
245 KB, 429x599
>>25661225
My dad got both me and my brother each a Game Boy plus a copy of Pokemon Red and Blue back when they first came out. We both competed against each other, and our dad kept getting us the games if we behaved. This kept going all the way to Gen 3, after that my dad left and my brother lost interest. I did too, and I skipped Gen 4 when they initially came out, but got back into it when Gen 5 happened. I did eventually go back to play Soul Silver and Platinum, and got Y when it first released. I keep playing because it's fun, even if Pokemon isn't the most complex RPG out there, I still enjoy playing the series and haven't felt the need to tap out like before.
>>
>>25661225
A PC Emulator with Pokemon Red back in 2000.
>Why do you like it?
Don't get me wrong, I hate it.
>>
>>25661281
theres a swimmer who tells you to dive to get in
talk to everyone
check all trashcans
check the damn bookcases
>>
File: 1454199853645.jpg (1002 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1454199853645.jpg
1002 KB, 1920x1080
I grew up right after the gen 1 golden age (born in 97). I watched the anime and the first movie when I was really young, eventually got the games starting with Blue and keep playing all the way to alpha sapphire.
>Why do you like it?
The nostalgia and almost every aspect of the games. I stopped playing pokemon after gen 4 but XY and ORAS has re-sparked the fun I have with pokemon. And now that breeding is so much more enjoyable and easy I like to play competitively a lot more than I did 6 years ago.
>>
>>25661598
That's relative.
There are people of all ages bronswing 4chan.
Most importantly, 4chan is a website in which the 30 year old bronswing /jp/ is more childish than the 18 year old university student making a Needham vs Spallanzani thread on /sci/.
But if you really want to know my age, keep in mind I got the game in Christmas 2003. My birthday is on December 29th. You can do the math.
>>
File: 1295251699173.jpg (14 KB, 355x259) Image search: [Google]
1295251699173.jpg
14 KB, 355x259
>>25661225
I think I got Red and Blue for a birthday present in '98 or '99. Pokemon eventually ended up helping me read and expanded my vocabulary as a kid, so I stuck with it and enjoyed the colorful animals. Eventually I saw pic related and thought it was the coolest thing ever, so I caught one and watched it destroy everything in RSE.
>Why do you like it?
My interest in the games is slowly waning due to Megas and the power creep, but I don't think I'll ever ditch the franchise due to it being an integral part of my life with helping with my depression and stupid shit like that.

/shitty blog
>>
>>25661225
all the other kids in class had moved on from Yu-Gi-Oh to Pokemon, so I got Pearl Version soon after it came out. I was bullied really bad and was trying to fit in.

I ended up loving it because it was a natural extension of what I did while playing with my stuffed animals - pretending to go on adventures and whatnot.
>>
Pokemon Yellow for Christmas when I was five or six. I still enjoy it because its something of a shared cultural experience - someone always was playing it and you could talk about it or play with your siblings.

The mainlines probably out a shared momentum at this point but goddamn if I don't love the mystery dungeons to death.
>>
File: DSC01571copy.jpg (196 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
DSC01571copy.jpg
196 KB, 640x960
>>25661225
>How did you get into Pokemon
The Pokemon Power things that came way back when with my Nintendo Power subscription.

>Why do you like it?
I like Pokemon because of the variety of designs in the Pokemon and characters, as well as the Pokemon world itself and the possibilities behind it.

The sheer variety within the Pokemon is fun.
>>
I was around 4 or 5 when Pokémon came to the west and as everyone knows it was huge. Like most kids I got into the series quickly. I got up early every morning to watch the anime, I bought pokémon clothes, my preschool teacher got the class pokémon fruit snacks for snack time, the cards were collected and traded like currency and when Red/Blue came out I got my first pokémon game and Gameboy for Christmas. When most of my friends started to turn to Yu-Gi-Oh and left pokémon behind, I continued playing the games I loved. My parents were separated before I was born and every weekend I had to visit my dad. He was abusive towards my mother when they were together, then towards me when I had to visit him. Immersing myself in the pokémon world helped me escape reality and get away from the abuse. It became a staple part of my childhood that to this day I haven't given up. But I will eventually. Most likely after gen 7.
>>
I was like 4 or 5 years old. My aunt was a teenager at the time and had Red and Blue. She finished them both and let me borrow her Red to try it out. I made a new game and saved over hers by mistake, she was chill with it and let me keep it.
>>
Man I really can't remember, I think I might have watched the T.V show first. I also remember seeing something about Pokemon on a Lunchables box and that got me interested.

>Why do you like it?
It's pretty simple, I like exploring new regions, the designs, collecting/training Pokemon, I also like how I'm able to trade and battle with friends.
>>
>Be little shit
>Watch show
>Pester dad into buying me Pokemon Blue
>17 years have passed
>Still buy and play the games
It would be weird not to play at this point.
>>
File: 36679199_p0.png (287 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
36679199_p0.png
287 KB, 800x800
Collecting the trading cards suddenly became a fad at my school when I was in first grade (~1998). Me and my sister got our dad to spend a shitload of money on cards. Within the next year or so I got a GBC and Red version, and by the time GS came out I was also playing the in the TCG league.

I still play because I love all the adorable monsters, and the games are still engaging and funny.
>>
File: 1304665722972.jpg (267 KB, 1714x1200) Image search: [Google]
1304665722972.jpg
267 KB, 1714x1200
has there been a poll before? i'm sure there has been but fuck it.

http://strawpoll.me/7145934
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 279x229) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 279x229
Always love to tell this story
>start watching the anime as a wee lad
>follow it on and off till midway through Hoenn, since pokemania had died down
>I had bought a few cards (never figured out how to play, not for lack of trying) and some toys, but never even heard of the video games
I didn't play games literally at all about forth grade, when I begged my parents to just get me SOME form of vidya
>get a DS lite at the end of the year for summer break
Now here's where things get interesting
>come home last day of school
>turn on Cartoon Network (or kids WB, whichever it was airing on at the time)
>Pokemon is on, I figure I'll see what the show's been up to
>it was the last two episodes of battle frontier, Ash vs. May then the one where Ash goes back to pallet
>I'm saying it's okay until Gary motherfucking Oak steps in.
>he's a damn scientist now and he's got a Pokemon no one's ever seen before
>realize it's a whole new fucking world we live and a whole new place to be
>go out literally the next day to Best Buy
>use what little cash I had to buy Diamond
And I've been hooked ever since. Still got the team I beat Cyntia with in August 2007 with and I fully intend to have them kick ass in sun & moon.
>why do you like it?
Hive mind of children, genius marketing and a pinch of autism
>>
>>25661330
Hey buddy let me give ya a lil' 4chan tipperino.
Never say >be me. That's something a reddit nigger would say.
Have fun.
>>
Not long after my second birthday, my sister was diagnosed with leukemia. She started treatment in 1997, and by the summer of 1998, she'd passed away after a last ditch experimental treatment didn't take.
My folks had tried their damndest, spent every penny we had, and it still wasn't enough. So we buried her, went home a different family, and tried to scrape together enough money to stay in our house. That's when Red and Blue came out.

The hype was real, but we were broke, so I ended up having everything Pokemon except the games. My lunchbox was Pokemon, my bedsheets were Pokemon, all I watched was the show. But my parents just couldn't get the money for a GameBoy. That, or they were afraid of how much the games would stack up to cost. Probably both.

Years later, in 2001, I "graduated" from first grade (there was a big ceremony and shit, it was weird), and my parents took me to the local game store, gave me a crisp $100 bill, and told me to go crazy.

I walked out with a used Gameboy Color, Red, Yellow, Gold, and Crystal. You'd best believe that summer was all Pokemon, all the time. I also started working around the neighborhood, pulling weeds and watering plants and other small shit that you can trust a second grader to do and not die, all to build up a little cash and buy more. To make the rest of the story shorter, I bought the rest of the games with my own money. Parents got back on their feet, surviving sister started to feel better (she took the death of my other sister really hard; she was old enough to be really hurt by it, while I was saved by being too young to really get it), and things generally started to be less miserable.

TL;DR: my sister died, the hospital bills buried my parents in debt, and it was a long fucking time before we could afford the games. Hyped out really goddamn hard when I got them.

>Why do you like it?
Comfy feels and collecting monsters. And, of course, nostalgia. Lots of nostalgia.
>>
>>25661225
When I was in elementary school the anume started airing on tv and everyone liked it. Soon I got into the card game too thanks to my then best friend.
I didn't get into the games until when I was 11, I used to play ruby on my cousin's gba, then finally my parents gave in and bought me my own gba with emerald.
>Why do you like it?
It's not too challenging, lets me do whatever I want and there are lots of 'mons to try out, so it never gets too boring.
The thought of adventuring in a diverse and beautiful world while bonding with magical creatures is relaxing.
>>
>>25661970
just barely not underaged B&

>It's a whole new world we live in, It's a whole new way to see.
FTFY
>>
>>25661330
>>25662029
Oh hey, dead sister club. What a miserable thing to have in common.
>>
>>25661225
not sure, i think it was becasue the anime

>Why do you like it?
its fun, and its like a habit now, its just something i need to check/play if there is a new one
the only reason i stayed after gen3 was because iw anted to impress a girl i liked, things didnt work out
>>
>>25661940
>Side game. specify in post why you hate the main series
This is stupid. I started with the spinoffs but I was also waiting for Diamond and Pearl to come out. PMD was pretty good.
>>
My gay friend got me into it back when it was getting big, around year 2000
>>
>>25662575
i was being glib with that one.
it did elicit a response though.

my first side game was snap
>>
File: Banjo Kazooie.png (718 KB, 540x721) Image search: [Google]
Banjo Kazooie.png
718 KB, 540x721
>how did you get into pokemon?

In 1998 I was fanatic about the game Banjo Kazooie, even though I only ever borrowed it and didn't own a copy. But I saw a copy of Nintendo power in a grocery store with Banjo Kazooie on the cover, and my grandma bought it for me.

I loved looking at the artwork for games, so I'd thumb through the rest of the magazine, and then I eventually got to pic related. Holy shit these little monsters are awesome, I love this artwork. That plant dinosaur looks like the baddest creature ever. The premise of the game sounds weird... but awesome. Welp... probably going to forget all about this like I do every game with neat artwork in these magazines.

months later, Fox kids is announcing their saturday morning lineup, and they mention "Pokemon", with artwork of Pikachu from Red and Blue, and I recognize it. ( not pictured in pic related, a pocket pikachu article on the other page ) So I decide maybe I'll tune in.

It's "The Ghost of Maidens Peak". This is really weird. But I can't look away. That little orange lizard is the cutest thing I've ever seen. "Who's that pokemon" is an amorphous blob. I think I'm trying to guess a geographic location. It's Gastly. I don't know what I just watched but I like it and I want to see more. So I start watching every morning before school.

It gets a little fuzzy from there on. I have no idea why, but my dad bought me a Gameboy Pocket with Pokemon Red. I NEVER get games, let alone systems, on any day but Christmas or my Birthday, which this was neither, so I flipped out and was super happy. I got my friend into it too. He didn't give a shit about it at all until he laid eyes on Blastoise's canons.

>why do you like it?

Collecting and training is fun to me I guess. I most of the creature designs. X/Y was an extra fun period for me because all of my friends, even some who dropped the series at gen IV picked up the games, and we got into breeding, and battling, something I never really did much before.
>>
File: tumblr_n5wmxipsil1rtaovmo1_500.png (738 KB, 439x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5wmxipsil1rtaovmo1_500.png
738 KB, 439x750
When i was 7 year old Pokemon was everywhere and i really wanted gameboy with pokemon like all the other cool kids in my school, but my mom never bought it because she said its just fashion and will go away. It left a huge scar in me then i had to forget all about pokemon in 3 gen. Then later in gen 5 i was drunk and reading about pokemons and stuff so i decided to try an emulator and i got hooked that very instant moment again. I have never enjoyed a game as much as pokemon that i finally got to play. Rest is history, i have not been able to buy my own pokemon game yet because my mom doesn't let me but i will buy Sun or Moon when they come no matter what my mom says.
>>
>>25662632
Also, the story isn't amazing, but when it comes to RPGs, I may be in the minority, but to me, less is more. I like the original Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest because they evoked a sense of adventure and exploration, the same kind that early pokemon games did. I still don't mind an RPG as long as the story isn't a carnival of nonsense.
>>
File: 1297522108486.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1297522108486.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>25662644

> have not been able to buy my own pokemon game yet because my mom doesn't let me

Dude, you sound like one way or another you have some serious issues to deal with, and you need to get off this sleezy ass website and start dealing with them.
>>
>>25662644
Seems like you've been 6 eternally
>>
>>25662644
>i have not been able to buy my own pokemon game yet because my mom doesn't let me but i will buy Sun or Moon when they come no matter what my mom says.
This is bait right?
>>
>>25662632
It's the most primitive article on pokemon I know of, it's basically a blurb about the games before they even released state side, they have room to briefly highlight like 2-3 points about the games and of course "omg two pokemon at the exact same level can have slightly different stats!" Is one of them.

Basically, ivs really need to die. I literally never noticed or cared when I was kid. I never went out of my way to get two of the same species of pokemon, ensured they were at the same level, and compared their stats I just caught one I wanted and used it. I only care now because they trigger me to an extent knowing I'm using an inferior version of what I could have that can only be rectified with playing rng bike simulator (inb4 :^) ) for hours for just one member of my team.
>>
I used to live in a foster home. My social worker bought me and my brother for christmas a gameboy and him Pokemon Silver and me Pokemon Gold, I was about 4 then. I played it all time. I like it still because it's still fun.
>>
>>25662155
Well shit. Leukaemia as well, & same year too. Sorry if we also have how much it fucked us up in the long term in common
>>
My brother wanted someone to trade with, and I thought it was stupid but he offered to buy Red back if I didn't like it. Well I did. I liked it because of the aesthetic and the community
>>
platinum was my first game on the dsi and i loved it! XD
>>
File: image.jpg (155 KB, 610x820) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155 KB, 610x820
>>25661225
>how did I get into it
Because of this cutie.
>why do I like it
The girls mainly. I'm not much of an RPG guy. I'm more an FPS guy, and not call of autism shit.
>>
I was 11 when RB came out and I got Red for christmas.

A year later I got Silver, then Ruby when that came out. After that I was buying the games myself.
>>
>>25663302
Damn, small world.

But, I came out of it about as well as possible, I think. I kept expecting to die as a kid, though, which freaked people out. I started talking about how I was going through a "midlife crisis" when I was like 9. Not dead yet, though, so go me. Go us, for that matter.

Hang in there, bro. We'll make it.
>>
I was about 10 when Pokémon first arrived in the West. I was the only person in my school class who watched the anime and actually liked it. I was so stoked by it. I clearly remember the first few episodes, because for a while they only showed one episode a week in my country, before Pokémon went into super-hype mode. I also remember anxiously sitting in the dentists waiting room with Pokémon on TV, because I knew that in this episode Ash gets Charmander (my favourite) and I didn't want to get called into the surgery before I could see it.

Later I was lucky to get Blue on my first Gameboy. For some reason I was confused by the exclusive Pokémon in each version, and instead I thought that Red only had about a dozen Pokémon and Blue had hundreds. Weird.

>Why do you like it?
Escapism. I grew up on a dreary rainy island, and played in fields and climbed trees. Pokémon touched on that fantasy of kind of being a grown up, going out on a big adventure in a world full of sunshine and beaches with a fucking flamethrower lizard in your pocket.

Now that I'm older I don't play as much. But I work as a video game artist and, among a few other things, Pokémon design has been a huge influence on that.
>>
>>25662644
>Then later in gen 5 i was drunk
>drunk
>not been able to buy my own pokemon game yet because my mom doesn't let me

…What?
>>
I got into Pokemon when I move to the US when I was 11 at 2004. During elementary I never really caught what the show was really about but their were kids who was playing with figurines but never really cared. Anyway being fresh off the boat that I was, with parents that couldn't afford Cable TV. My brother, sister, and I stumbled upon Pokemon at Kids WB. Kids WB was always airing Pokemon at 9 during Saturdays and I fell in love with the show. A year layer I was exposed to the games Ruby and Sapphire. I never thought that there were actual Pokemon games so my cousin lent/gave me his Gameboy Advance to play Sapphire. Then Pokemon emerald came out and I was hook to the games to this day.
>>
>>25661225
All my friends and siblings were into the anime and TCG. It's literally all I heard about for all of 1998/1999, but I was still only collecting the cards at that point. Finally when my next birthday came up (September 1999) my dad took me to Toys "R" Us and I got a lime green Gameboy Color with Blue version. I fell in love and never looked back. It was my first RPG experience and I guess it's the genre I really fell in love with, but also the idea of having your bros (mine were Lapras and Aerodactyl from the very beginning) and a team that reflects your personality.
>>
>>25662644
ebic b8 :DDDD I flagged you as underage :)
>>
>>25661225
My sister bought Diamond at gamestop 8 years ago and wasnt into it, so i took it and the rest is history
>>
>>25661225
Some kid told me to beat a trainer for him while he had to go talk to his mom for a second and handed me his gameboy with red in it. I was in control of a pikachu and just kept spamming thunderbolt on some fisherman's pokemon or something. Years later my poor mother saved up enough money to buy me a GBA and Crystal that had just come out.
>>
File: 1458436632765.png (26 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
1458436632765.png
26 KB, 128x128
>>25662644
b8
>>
>How did you get into pokemon
I wanted mario kart double dash with my gamecube for my birthday and got pokemon Colosseum.
>>25661225
>Why do you like it?
I hate it
>>
>>25665008
What brings you to /vp/ today then, Anon?
>>
>>25665008
How do parents fuck up that bad?

I wanted Mario Kart and got Diddy Kong Racing ( ultimatly the better deal ), but at least it was still a racing game and not this unrelated genre.
>>
>>25661645
This sounds like a kid desperately trying to pretend he's anything but.
>>
>>25665120
The game was out of stock
>>25665016
I browse here randomly, I haven't come in a while so I just dropped by to see If there's any interesting threads up.
>>
>>25661225
My older sister introduced me to the anime. She asked me if I were going to watch Pokémon today for whatever reason. I asked her if she meant Pocket Dragons, which aired at that time in Germany, but she kept on saying Pokémon. Few moments later I turned on the TV. They aired the episode where they boarded the M.S. Anne.
My sister never really liked Pokémon I think. No idea why she insisted on me watching it.
>>
>>25665120
Stores not having the particular game you want is a common occurence, anon. I've been looking for Xenoblade 3DS for a year now, and no stores in my city ever have it. Although I'm not commited enough to order it online. I was also desperate to play the original Pikmin back then, but it was never at any of the stores I went to and I didn't have a credit card back then to order it online with.
>>
>>25665581
Being out of stock is understandable but you'd still try and get something similar to what is asked, right?

You wouldn't give someone asking for cold medicine a case of Tums just because they didn't have that specific brand of cold medicine they asked for.
>>
>>25661464
Different anon here, it's seems all my nostalgia is based around particular smells in particular situations. Didn't know anybody else had similar experiences
>>
>>25661225
First i saw reviews from red/blue in a program of my country and sometime after that the same channel started to show the anime.
Between 1 and 2 years later i got my first pokemon game, Yellow.

I think i like the concept of catch monsters and battle with them, and even with 27 years i still love this franchise.
>>
In 1st grade (I think in 2000? Or maybe 2001) I met a chick who was really into video games and she introduced me to the show and TCG. I'm from a poor family so I didn't have a GB/C or games, so I'm sure she tried to get me to buy the games so we could play together but of course that didn't go too well. It's weird, I don't ever really remember letting me play her Red or Yellow, but I remember watching her play Stadium and thought it was pretty neat. A few years passed and right as we both went to different schools I finally got a GBA, and originally wanted to get Crystal so I could play with my 3rd grade friends. The guy at Walmart told me that I should get Ruby or Sapphire "because they're newer and better", so I went with those without knowing gen 2 and 3 weren't compatible with each other. So I got that and fell in love with the series. It sorta sucked since I guess by that time Pokemania died and I don't actually recall any of my friends in 3rd grade (or any other grades after that, really) getting any gen 3 games. And the girl I knew from 1st grade only got Fire Red I believe, so I didn't have anyone to play with for a really long time. But shit happens I guess.

I really love how simple, fun, and charming the games are. Collecting and battling is fun, the character designs are fun, everything about this franchise is fun. It's always great seeing just what sort of silly new gimmicks GF put in the games and what sort of new Pokemon they come up. Can't wait until SM come out. I'm really excited to see just what happens next.
>>
I think I saw the anime first, which lead to my decision to get Pokemon Yellow when I was a kid. Never really finished it and it wasn't until I got Pokemon Gold that I really began to appreciate the games.

While I don't play as much as I did I love the game for the designs and because it was my first RPG in what has become a life long habit of RPGs in my life.
>>
i just come here to shitpost i never played a pokemon game
>>
>>25661225
I watched an episode of Pokémon on TV, and if I remember correctly it happened to be the first one. I was really into it and watched it the next day and the day after that, but I was hooked right away. I was like 8 or something. Plus everybody was into Pokémon at the time.
I like it because I find it fun, and have good memories playing. The first game I ever got to play was Gold, which my best friend let me borrow over the entire Summer. He eventually let me have it. I bought Red from this kid at school, along with his green Game Boy Color. Since then I've gotten my own handhelds and most of the main games since.
>>
>>25662013
>be you
>be newfag
>>
>>25666213
Not him but it is a little unnecessary to say. Most of the time if you're talking about your own personal experiences, of course you're going to be talking about them from your point of view. There's no reason to clarify it.
>>
I had a friend in kindergarten who loved the anime but my family moved away before I could really experience it. My new neighbors were really into Pokemon though so they let me borrow blue version when I went over there during a snow day. Ended up getting red a year or so later and the rest is history.

I like it because of the collecting desu. Having bros is nice but I always like using new mons on subsequent playthroughs
>>
File: 1356592530543.jpg (71 KB, 441x700) Image search: [Google]
1356592530543.jpg
71 KB, 441x700
>>25661225

Played Pokemon Red at some kid's party with his sister, but at first i didn't really like it. The gameplay was too slow and even when my Charmander evolved, it's wasn't enough of a kick to get me going.

After a month or so, the Anime got released and it's sapped my attention to it. When i saw Yellow was getting released, i just had to get it since you had your own Pikachu following your ass around. I got hooked ever since that.
>>
When I was given my first GBA at 5 I was also given a used copy of Pokemon Yellow, apparently some guy at the counter of gamestop thought I'd enjoy it when my uncle asked for a suggestion as to what game he should get me and that guy was right I liked it
>>
my dad sat me on his lap every day and would play through the game over and over again, not sure how he got into it and I've never thought to ask him though
at one point i would lay in bed next to him and call out the pokemon by the sound clip at the start of the battle and he would get confused on how i knew them all
>>
>>25661225
I was 11 at the time, i was in middle school I think, (Secondary in MX). Some guys in my class start this rumor about an emulator that lets you play with nintendo games in your computer.
Poor as fuck and Internet iliterate at that time, I manage to obtain a copy of said software through MSN messenger, a friend of mine sent the ROMs in a .zip file and helped me through all the process.
The games were:
Pokemon Yellow
Gold
Silver
Crystal
FireRed
Ruby
He said "pick whatever you want" they are all the same.
Started checking things out and I first noticed that Gold, Silver and Crystal are exactly the same except of Crystal with a minor improvements.
Decided to play Crystal and I just fell in love.
Been playing ever since.
I loved the sense of new adventure, actually learning the mechanics and the "unknown" data of pokemon for the first time just caught me (get it?).
>>
File: 1457789859264.png (387 KB, 676x696) Image search: [Google]
1457789859264.png
387 KB, 676x696
>>25661598

>20
>young
>>
>>25661281
HAHAHA FAGGY HOENNBABY

Proud oldfag pokemon connoisseur who started with Yellow here
>>
Was 9 years old and at a flea market/junk sale when I found a bootleg copy of Pokemon emerald and that was my first experience of the game, few weeks after that I collected Pokemon cards and traded some fake ones for my dumb friend's gen 1 pokedex toy
>>
>>25667944
>Barely out of highschool
>not young

crawl back to you moms house youngin, the real adults are talking.
>>
>>25661225
My second oldest brother started playing red and blue and had me look up stuff in the guide he bought and grind his pokemon for him. Got excited as shit when he got to the league the first time.
>>
File: 1439786947970.jpg (14 KB, 250x418) Image search: [Google]
1439786947970.jpg
14 KB, 250x418
>>25668182
>barely out of high school
>getting out at high school on his 20s
>>
>>25668107
>He started with Yellow
>Not Red and Blue

Get a load of this whipper snapper.
>>
>>25661225
My older brothers were teens during Pokemania, so they quickly grew out of it a couple years after Gold and Silver came out. Somewhere between 1999-2002 they gave me their copies of Gold and Silver and a GBA.

I'd never watched the anime or anything, so Gold and Silver was all I had to understand Pokemon. I also completely skipped the Hoenn games and around 2005 I got to play FireRed. It wasn't until a friend told me they were releasing new Pokemon circa 2007 that I really, really got into Pokemon. At that point I started to care more about Hoenn Pokemon (which I'd only seen on TV occasionally) and got hyped for Gen VI.

Because of this I feel like both a Johtoddler and a Sinnoh sperm.
>>
>>25668261
most people leave high school at 18. two years is barely out of highschool. he's still working on his last community college credits.
>>
I'm not sure how, exactly. I think I got into the show first when it started in 1998. I was around 8-9. It started getting popular among young kids, kids our age... We all just loved it. I remember I got Pokemon blue for Christmas in 1998.
>>
>>25668712
>going to cuckmmunity college
>going to college

heh
>>
My dad was really into it and let me play his Red version. Why I like it? Because I thought it was fun and you had a big variety on what kind of teams you could make adding replay value.
>>
>How did you get into Pokémon?
My mom was having surgery done around the time Pokémon Crystal came out, and my friend's mom loaned me his spare Game Boy Advance SP and his copy of Pokémon Gold so that I would have something to do in the waiting room.

>Why do you like it?
I liked playing with/collecting bugs and other critters in my backyard and at summer camp at a young age, so that affinity passed over onto the games. Pokémon was my dream game growing up, and I think it had a positive impact on my childhood.
>>
>>25662013
>>25666459
Guess I'll chime back in. They were a common thing on greentext stories several years ago when I was actually bothering to read them, so I guess it was just out of a sort of habit. But then Reddit seems to commandeer a lot of things that were once acceptable here, & all that was back when I first started lurking on /b/ anyway

Not sure why those five characters are enough to dedicate several posts to but whatever, there ya go
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.