[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Index list for reference: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 39 cut pokemon.png (667 KB, 840x718) Image search: [Google]
39 cut pokemon.png
667 KB, 840x718
Index list for reference: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_index_number_%28Generation_I%29

As everyone knows by now, these thirty nine Gen II Pokemon were originally intended for Red, Blue, and Yellow, but got cut in the final product due to hardware limitations. This much is established by the fact they are still found in the game as Missingnos, as well as the interview with Shigeki Morimoto where he clearly states there were meant to be 190 Pokemon originally.

Because speculation is fun, how would these Pokemon have been different had they made it into the final cut? How would the series have progressed from here?
>>
>>25662130
My two cents:

Ho-oh wasn't originally intended to be a legendary, but rather an evolution to Fearow. I base this on their similar appearance and the fact that Ho-oh appears rather high up on the index list with other common starting area Pokemon. Whether he would've still been fire/flyign or would've gone to normal/flying like it's pre-evos, I can't say for sure.

Assuming Scyther would still evolve into Scizor, I also think that Heracross was intended to be the Red version equivalent of Blue version's Pinsir rather than Scyther. My reasoning here is because the version exclusives usually had some kind of similarity with their equivalent, Growlithe and Vulpix were both fire types that evolved with a fire stone, Bellsprout and Oddish both achieve their final forms with a leaf stone, Meowth and Mankey both evolve at level 28, Sandshrew and Ekans both evolve at level 22 etc. Pinsir and Heracross both bipedal beetles that I assume would be caught in the safari zone. Not to mention they're version exclusives in X and Y.

On the topic of Scyther, obviously it would've evolved through different means than it does now, trading with a metal coat, though I'm not sure how it would evolve or if Scizor would've even been given a steel typing in Gold and Silver, or whatever the sequels would've been named since Ho-oh and Lugia would've appeared in RBY.

Genwunner normies posting shit on Facebook and 9gag about how only the original 190 Pokemon were good is a given.
>>
With both the legendary birds and legendary beasts in Gen I, I think gens afterwards would've given us two legendary trios each gen.

Think both the musketeer and kami trio in Gen V.
>>
I feel like the fight dojo would've given us a Tyrogue instead of Hitmonchan or Hitmonlee.

We then would have had to evolve it and then trade around with friends who had different preferences to complete the Pokedex.
>>
Would Scizor, Houndour, Houndoom, and Tyranitar have gotten their steel/dark typings come Gen II?
>>
>>25662331
They'd probably have just been pure types and get the steel/dark typing in the next gen like what happened to Magnemite.
>>
File: 1997_GS_Pokemon.png (68 KB, 524x230) Image search: [Google]
1997_GS_Pokemon.png
68 KB, 524x230
>>25662130
I hope you realize the article you linked to explains why you're wrong.
>The conversion of Generation I glitch Pokémon index numbers to Generation II index numbers simply is Johto Pokémon in National Pokédex order, starting from 0xBF (dec 191)—the index after the last valid Pokémon in Generation I—and ranging to 0xFA (dec 250), then continuing by filling the indices that correspond to MissingNo
>Although each of the copies of MissingNo. can appear as or become a Generation II Pokémon when traded there, these Pokémon are simply based on the Pokédex order, so are not indications of the original Pokémon in these slots.
Space was allocated for 190 Pokémon in Gen I, but there's no evidence any specific Pokémon ever occupied any of the "empty slots", or that they were "cut due to hardware limitations", something particularly silly to claim when the unused space still exists in the final product.
As even the (completely unverified and non-credible) "interview" states, most Gen II Pokémon were far from their finalized state in the leadup to Gen II's release. The same promotional art that shows Tyrannitar also shows something that looks like a bizarre fusion of Hitmontop and Clefable, and a proto-Tirtouga that wouldn't be used for over a decade. Even Ho-Oh who was certainly one of the first Gen II Pokémon designed didn't have a finalized color palette for its appearance in the anime (though it could be argued this was an artistic choice).
>>
>>25662143
I disagree with your Ho-oh speculation, but if you ARE correct, Ho-oh as an evolution to Fearow must only have lasted a short time -- only a year after Red and Green were released, Ho-oh appeared in the first episode of the anime. It was clearly a special Pokémon by that time.
>>
>>25662424

That promo art with the unused Tortourga sounds neat, do you happen to have it?
>>
>>25662130
Yup, there were originally 190 species of Pokémon in Pokémon Red, Blue, green and Yellow but they were removed, because of lack of data space.
>>
>>25662130
The babies wouldn't be babies.
Tyrogue would be given out in Fighting Dojo.
Chansey would evolve in late 30's.
Seadra, Scyther and Porygon would have been trade evolutions as well.
Smoochum would take the place of the Jynx trade.
Elekid and Magby would be catchable in the wild instead of Electabuzz and Magmar.

G/S/C would have either introduced other (new?) Pokémon or it would've been RBY 2.0 with just about 70 new Pokémon.
>>
>>25662143
>Genwunner normies posting shit on Facebook and 9gag about how only the original 190 Pokemon were good is a given.
kek, they just say that because pokémon started to lose popularity and they grew out of it around Gen 2, it's not because of the designs, pokémon just started to became "outdated".
The writers of the anime made a horrible work with the johto anime, it was boring and lacked the mannerism of the original season, this is the main reason why a extreme amount of people abandoned pokémon.
>>
>>25662130
Why didn't they classify Teddiursa and Donphan as baby pokemon in Gen 2? They clearly meet the parameters.
>>
>>25663244
>The babies wouldn't be babies.
That makes no sense. That's like saying there wouldn't be genders because there weren't in gen1.
>>
File: Gen2_UnusedTrainers.jpg (224 KB, 905x1267) Image search: [Google]
Gen2_UnusedTrainers.jpg
224 KB, 905x1267
>>25663144
I'm not >>25662424 but I think this is the one they mean.
>>
>>25663257
so does Swinub, in the end it doesn't really matter
>>
>>25663290
You're right. They could still be classified as babies as there's no breeding in gen I.
>>
>>25662130
>As everyone knows by now, these thirty nine Gen II Pokemon were originally intended for Red, Blue, and Yellow,
No they weren't
>>
>>25663300
>ahave water and rock symbols on their heads
Weren't they just gym leaders?
>>
How the hell would Shuckle work in G1, it's supposed to process berries which weren't introduced until G2. So they just tied the berry gimmick to it later?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.