[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay, ORAS was a big step back as a remake...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
But let's talk about XY.
Personally, I played and enjoyed all 300 hours I put in it.
I kept myself away from exp share, leaks, discovered new cities, characters, pokémon and even megas all by myself. Enjoyed all the new features like PSS, playing every day with friends online comparing progress on our adventure (EVERYONE bought these games day one, jesus, it was a lot of fun), enjoyed working to get richer and richer to dress stylish and act like a superstar sweeping through those expensive restaurants.

Yes, the postgame was underwhelming, but at least the Looker's quest was way better than delta episode, and the gyms and league were very very easy and forgettable though not as extremely piece of cake like that mistake of oras.

I mean, they were great games. They had their cons but also brought some features you can't deny you enjoyed like PSS or Amie and the fucking character customization. It was forgettable of course, and probably not even sun and moon will give us again the sense of wonder and adventure we experienced with the first games in our childhood, but that's not pokémon's fault.
Everyday this board complains about pokémon's spirit dying, but can you really blame GF for us just growing up?
>>
>>25613313
I blame you for growing up.

I was one of those peoples who didnt want the remake because various viables reasons, but when they got confirmed i bought Sapphire like the first time.

Personally they did a better job with the some characters, like the enemy teams, giving us a little hype with battling Wally in the victory road, and things got me distracted like the dex nav and mirage spots. I got some negatives opinions, but most are 4chan influence, but oh well, this is the best place to get leaks and some info when i need it.

I play since gen 1 and i dont feel entitled to moan about what i miss or what i dont like, like most people here.
>>
>>25613313
They definitly were good and everyone agree on it but Unovabortions butthurt about their gen being the most hated by the fanbase outside of /vp/
>>
>>25613313
>tfw falling for clickbait title
Anyway, I enjoyed XY too, certainly more than ORAS or gen V.
>>
ORAS did some interesting things but it wasn't as engaging as HG/SS. Those set the bar pretty high for remakes.

X&Y were good but not great. The switch from sprites to 3d/models was a big step into transitioning the franchise into a new generation. While I enjoyed a lot of what X&Y had to offer it ended up feeling somewhat heartless. Kalos was a nice region but it suffered from any real substance. Other than maybe Lumiose and, maybe, Anistar City none of the areas stood out. Same can be said about the majority of the characters. I remember Professor Sycamore because of he was given a great theme on the soundtrack, I remember Valerie because she looks strange and is the first Fairy Type gym leader, and Looker who has been around since Gen IV. Despite such a large cast of characters and the admittedly charming aesthetics of Kalos, it felt kind of empty. I feel like Unova did a really nice job of populating the cities and routes. Castelia City, for example, had lots of NPCs moving around doing different things. It felt alive.

The pokemon and new mechanics are what they are. Some are good, others not so good.

I cut Gen VI some slack for being so different than past games and the first on new hardware. I hope SuMo will utilize everything it can to make use of the 3DS.
>>
ORAS was good
>>
I really didn't like how forced your little group of friends were into the main story. Everything else was fine.
>>
>>25613313
>a step back as a remake
>better than HG/SS in almost every way
Also it's happening. /vp/ is beginning to start saying that they liked gen VI. I fucking called this shit.
>>
>>25613313
The hibiscus insignia we saw for SuMo was pentagonal. SuMo are the last two pentagon games. They'd have been in development from shortly after XY were released, there's no way GF would let all that work go to waste. After the recent terrorist attacks they don't want to show anything threatening Kalos/PokeFrance, so they've just changed the window dressing But SuMo will be XY's followup games, like B2W2.
>>
>>25613313
It felt really underwhelming and needed a third version more than any other game
>>
I started pokemon with gold and stopped with sapphire. The XY trailer hyped me into trying pokemon again. So I went with the latest one out, BW2.

Found White 2 to be insanely fun. There was so much to discover, so much to explore, so much to do, I felt like a kid again. It got me interested in W's story so I binged it and quit right after the credits, and went right back into W2. To me, the Unova games are all one big experience. It feels incomplete if you only play one and not the other. But I'd only play BW solely for the story.

Then I played Platinum, had fun with that and caught all legendaries. I played FireRed, got up to the 8th badge and then I stopped for some reason. And Soul Silver...you'd think I'd have some nostalgia tip with this but I find it so boring I couldn't get past 3 badges.

So you can kinda guess how I'd rank the games I binged at once by enjoyment. W2&W>Platinum>FireRed>Soul Silver

This was all in the anticipation for XY's release. When it came out, I was a bit disappointed with some aspects of the game. The story pacing sucked, the rivals were terrible, finding out how EXP share was screwing over the EXP curve of the game sucked, finding out how Amie even makes the game easier than it already was sucked. The characters were bland and forgettable, the legendaries were incorporated in an extremely lazy way and was one of the bigger disappointments for me.

But even with all of that, I still found Y to be almost as much fun as W2. There was so many new things about it that I didn't experience in W2. The 3D models, Lumiose city, Online & PSS, Character Customization, the easter eggs, the looker quest and some other stuff I'm forgetting. It was a one time experience thing that ORAS unfortunately couldn't do. OR was so boring I quit halfway for half a year and then went back to it just so I could see the Delta Episode, which was also a disappointment.
>>
>>25623679

I think if I were to visualize it, its like BW2 had both a well built body and soul. XY's had a "new" body and that in itself was interesting to explore, but it lacked that soul. ORAS had the same body as XY which I already explored more than enough, and also lacked the soul.

Here's hoping Sun/Moon can do both.
>>
>>25616404

>implying 9gag and Facebook users have a valid opinion

>''HURR WHERE THE CHARIZARDS AT?''

Not sure what point you're trying to make.
>>
XY was a mistake.
>>
The biggest complaint I hear about XY is that they made it too easy. They gave you a starter, followed by one of the kanto starters, then you get a lucario, and your pokemon are beefed up by exp share. But you don't need to use any of those pokemon they give you. Once you get them you can just box them and never see them again. The exp share has an off switch and can just be used for end game building pokemon up to lv50.

I rather liked XY. I played it with my GF, making this the first game I played with someone since red/blue. I loved how easy it was to breed, raise and train pokemon. And then finding a battle or a trade was also super easy and made it really fun for me. I don't know if wifi battles were around for black/white because that is the game I skipped but the wifi aspect of XY really made the game fun for me, because lets face it, there are no real challenges in a pokemon game other than battling other players.

Overall I had a really fun time. But I took my time playing the game. I know a lot of /vp/ rushed through it. Which is funny because I see this often on gaming forums, a player beats the game 11 hours after the launch, claims the title of first to beat it, and then complains that they didn't have fun. Well obviously you didn't have fun when you played the game to finish it not to enjoy it.
>>
>>25616404
>unovabortions
>not sinnohbabbies for being the least memorable generation
>>
>>25623679
>finding out how Amie even makes the game easier than it already was sucked.
You don't have to play it and it doesn't make the game that much easier. Plus I feel that a lot of people who complain about it rushed through it. If you play pokemon amie as intended it takes quite a while to build up your pokemon. If you just spent that time battling your pokemon would be much stronger than if you played in amie with them, so I don't see the point in complaining.
>>
>>25613313
Now I think about it, maybe what I liked best about XY was the simultaneous release? It was more fun to discover Pokémon, places and GA!eplay without having it spoiled by seeing all the details about the Japanese release first.
(I mean yeah I could just try to avoid the spoilers, but that's next to impossible)
>>
File: 1457984399492.png (120 KB, 623x623) Image search: [Google]
1457984399492.png
120 KB, 623x623
>>25616972
>>better than HG/SS in almost every way
>>
File: 1457668212497.gif (2 MB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
1457668212497.gif
2 MB, 267x200
>>25616972
>ORAS
>better than HGSS
>>
>>25624302
Actually, I only played it with my Greninja once and got him to affection level 2. When I noticed how Amie was giving him an exp boost, I didn't touch it after that.
>>
>>25624230
Does turning EXP share off honestly make it as hard as BW2? Not saying BW2 was hard, but it was at that "just right" difficulty imo.

Lets not forget the fact that when you switch pokemon, they both get 100% of the exp. And catching pokemon gives you exp too. And most of us who got the game played Amie with our mons and regretively found out that it gives you an exp boost with no off switch. Honestly, no game should ever have to make you consider so many things just so you don't overpower every battle in the game.

Gen V's EXP scaling is one of the biggest things they shouldn't have removed. It would help the most with keeping the game balanced.

XY were great games, among my favorites. But that doesn't mean we should ignore it's flaws.
>>
X and Y feel like tech demos

Like everything in the game they were hyping up or building on that previous installments couldn't do were rushed because they needed to get a Pokemon game out right now. The story was awfully paced and left no sense of imagination or effort, the characters were one-note and bland, the Pokemon were great but there were so little because they were focusing so hard on the previous generations, and then ORAS comes and gives a superior engine without bothering to even patch in any of the benefits it has over X or Y

With how the bare minimum of effort was put into these games to reinvent the wheel, which is why Pokebank exists as the transfer for Gen V because the engines are almost as far apart as Gen II and III were. It's probably why they went on Gen I and III dick-sucking mode to advertise because they were so caught up with recreating the old assets that they didn't have time for new ones
>>
File: areyoukidding.png (475 KB, 893x732) Image search: [Google]
areyoukidding.png
475 KB, 893x732
>>25616972
>better than HG/SS in almost every way
>>
>>25616972
HGSS had:

-Everything that was in Gen II
-And everything that was in Crystal
-And almost everything that was in Gen I Kanto
-And Battle Frontier
-And the biggest Safari Zone
-And most of the Gen III legendaries

ORAS had:
-Almost everything that was in RS
-Nothing from Emerald
-Few more tutors
-Delta Episode
-Some extra megas
-No customization
-DexNav
-Some Mirage legendaries with no backstory.
>>
>>25616927
I thought Looker was in Gen 1 on the SS Anne?
>>
>>25628532
It's up to interpretation, the man is working for the international police, or the global police like it was called back then. He is unnamed tough, so if it is Looker or some other member is up to you.
>>
>>25613313

>Big step back

Dex nav, soaring, new megas, move tutors, and an actual post game.

I could say this gen put us forward if things like dexnav and soaring stick around.

If it gets retconned then people will still remember and love the games because that feature alone when the new games come out. You'll see.
>>
>>25628463
While I agree with you that HGSS were superior remakes,
>citing Hoenn legendaries as a strong point for HGSS
>only "some" legends for ORAS
Are you this delusional? There were more legends and from all regions except Kanto and Kalos, iN ORAS. They had most of the legends from other regions, as opposed to HGSS which even lacked all the non-mythical Hoenn legends.

Hell, the Mirage legendaries had more backstory than Hoenn legends randomly showing up in Johto. Hoopa teleported them there because he's a dick.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.