[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /vp/, I've been making a Pokemon Essentials game si
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8
File: map.png (183 KB, 955x932) Image search: [Google]
map.png
183 KB, 955x932
Hey /vp/, I've been making a Pokemon Essentials game since about December 2014 and I'm looking for some feedback outside of my friends.
I think it's pretty alright, but obviously not perfect. If you're willing to get through the weird install (Any RPGMaker experts here know why those folders would crash the programs compresser?), I'd love some feedback.

Install instructions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O7aBcpe4sbDAz0CsmxFUfOi7Xrs4YMhYhil4obMB-wI/edit?usp=sharing

I've been tinkering with scripting and random parts of the game randomly, so while I think everything works and I've tested, there's always a possibility it just doesn't. And because someone always gets autistic about it, no this isn't updated to Gen 6, I'm going to update to the more recent essentials when I'm totally done with everything. Also I've disabled the pointless long intro, everyone knows what the professor says.

/vp/'s a bit faster too thanks to recent announcements, so I don't know how long this'll last, but let's see how this goes!
>>
Could you sum up any interesting additions and gimmicks,if there are any? Fakemon?
>>
>>25548972
Done with everything? So besides maybe some minor bugs this is a completely new rom hack?
>>
File: Untitled.webm (2 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.webm
2 MB, 300x200
>>25548999
no fakemon, god no.
I'm trying to replicate a main series game as much as possible, and do a lot of neat postgame. The main game is pretty normal but the postgame areas I'm having a blast with. There's a rather lengthy time travel quest to capture celebi and I'm doing an equally lengthy one to redefeat some leftover recruits from the evil team.

>>25549036
no not everything is done just yet, and this isn't a romhack, it's an essentials game. You should be able to play to completion.
>>
>>25549036
Pokémon Essentials isn't a ROM hack, senpai. It's the Pokémon mechanics recreated in RPGMaker.
>>
>>25549061
So no new moves or anything like that? Pitch this game to us, OP.
>>
>>25549062
>>25549061
Ah ok thanks, senpai
>>
>>25549061
>battle style gen V
>map mostly gen IV with a bit of III
>sprites gen III
I hope you're going to fix this because it feels really inconsistent.
>>
File: riverotnw.png (122 KB, 962x642) Image search: [Google]
riverotnw.png
122 KB, 962x642
>>25549084
It's a new region with a ton of stuff to do. I'm trying to keep it a mostly vanilla experience so if you're looking for a crazy game this really isn't it.

>>25549124
I get what you're saying, but I both willingly chose to do the split and it's out of techincal limitations. It's just me doing this, so unless there's free sprites I'm stuck with the defaults. Plus I'm fond of Gen III's artstyle after romhacking for fun for probably six or seven years. The default essentials battling is ass so I went with a script that makes it a lot nicer.
I even chose to put in some gen 4 music and some gen 5. I like melding the gens together but I do understand what you're saying.
>>
File: mntncity.png (242 KB, 1122x934) Image search: [Google]
mntncity.png
242 KB, 1122x934
/vp/ is moving too fast nowadays to have a slower thread like this I guess, or there's no interest. Either way, this'll probably be my only bump.

>>25549212
>>25549061
also for some reason my trip wasn't on with these
>>
>>25551002
Might be too big and spaceous
Isn't the area around the player usually not that big?
>>
I do like the environments you've created honestly, they seem to be refreshing from what you've posted, especially the snow area, we don't have enough of those.
>>
File: route 6.png (96 KB, 964x610) Image search: [Google]
route 6.png
96 KB, 964x610
>>25551096
it doesn't seem as big when you're confined to the smaller screen, you can run from top to bottom pretty fast.

>>25551113
Thanks

Now rather than my personal favorite maps, here's one I think could be improved. Maybe the bottom section connected by the bridges? What do you guys think?
>>
bretty gud OP. Maps feel a bit big and empty though.

Also, where did you find not-shit tiles?
>>
>>25551183
Yeah that would probably be the best, to just connect it with a bridge, maybe put some more grass down there or some items to entice people there, maybe trainers. You could also try some fenced off bridges or something so people don't just surf past it if it's later in the game.
>>
File: noricity.png (174 KB, 1172x714) Image search: [Google]
noricity.png
174 KB, 1172x714
>>25551218
You're the second guy to say the maps are big, maybe I should slim em' down then.
And the tiles are available for public use here
http://chaoticcherrycake.deviantart.com/art/Pokemon-Tileset-From-Public-Tiles-358379026

>>25551222
thanks for the feedback and nice trips

I'm heading to bed, so let's see if the thread can survive till morning. Thanks again to everyone who's playing or has posted feedback!
>>
>>25551453
Don't get me wrong, this is some good shit, just a bit spacious. Thanks for the link m8.
>>
>>25551453
NO! The maps should be larger, don't shrink them
>>
>>25551453
There's a lot to be said about maps without a ton of unnecessary space. I'm playing through Earthbound right now, and one of my biggest gripes with the game is that maps are a pain in the ass to move around (bike's a chore, no running option, and the maps are too spread out). Mother 3 fixed a good amount of that, and it's by having tighter, more engaging maps (and a run option).

You want to avoid featureless areas as much as possible. If you want to keep large maps, add some interesting features, like fountains, rocks, unique plants, etc.

This map looks cozy, though, but rather bland. having just one umbrella on the beach and one tree on the island is a head-scratcher. I suggest adding more details to both. Maybe a beach towel on the beach if you're making your own tilesets.
>>
File: 350px-PRS&E_Rustboro_map.png (411 KB, 350x525) Image search: [Google]
350px-PRS&E_Rustboro_map.png
411 KB, 350x525
>>25551537
I second this.

Also, I like big town. Means there is more to explore, but there is a line where it just becomes a hassle and one could get lost.

A good example of a big town is Rustboro City. It's plenty big and there is room to look around but just walking through it, you can see where all the important buildings are with roads leading to them.

This allows the player to become comfortable with the town. They walk around it because they are interested in exploring it, not wasting time trying to find where the damn Pokemon Center and Gym is.

TL;DR: Big towns are ok, so long as they are navigable.
>>
File: Eat em all man.jpg (30 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
Eat em all man.jpg
30 KB, 540x540
>Was working on an essentials game last summer
>Lose everything when my hard drive got wiped
I mean I wasn't even all that far into it, I just wish I could get all those sprites back I worked on.

Also I remember you because you actually caused me to realize there was an RPG Maker program for making Pokemon games.
>>
Does it have doors?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.