[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pokemon that have surprised you.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 11
ITT we talk about pokemon that have been surprisingly good in competitive battle. ill list a couple for me.
Choice scarf staraptor, EV's 252 HP 252 Speed 4 Attack, jolly nature, intimidate
Final gambit
Quick attack
U-turn
Brave bird
Man this pokemon has one me allot of battle, final gambit hitting really hard with a choice scarf to make sure im hitting first, its one of the best wall breakers ive ever had, with victini only hitting harder with final gambit (fuck victini) i found my staraptor really smashing those pain in the ass stalling pokemon like gliscor. if you want to try something cool, this is the pokemon that really got me exited, my staraptor has a whopping 371 HP final gambit and 326 speed.
>>
Honedge desu. Never thought he'd be that good.
>>
>>24922986
Fucking Talonflame for me. I caved in and started using one a month ago and its literally like click outrage = win with Garchomp. Its too fucking good at what it does, holy shit.
>>
Special Tauros (serious here) . Barely OHKO most common threads at the time I used it (probably still does, haven't played in a while but I don't imagine some stuff do have died already)... And outspeeding them. I did 6-0 with just him a lot of times. Such a trump card, nobody sees that one coming the first time unless they got experience with him. Got a lot rage quits.
Also, Arbok. 2 sets: Stock+rest+S.Skin and Intimidate with acid spray (or the one that lowers special attack). So... I run it as a crippler to sweepers and as staller, have worked wonders...

Both rely on the surprise factor: most people haven't faced one, they don't know what to do.
>>
Chatot. Chatter is wonderful, and Nasty Plot + Boomburst wrecks pretty hard.
>>
Sub/curse Trevenant.

>252 Hp 252 spD rest in speed
>Harvest, Calm nature of careful if you want Horn Leech, Citrus Berry

>Curse
>Substitute
>Protect/pain split
>Leech Seed

I can't tell you how many wins this set alone nets me.
>>
>>24925265
>tauntbait
>>
>>24925301
That's why you have 5 other pokemon, anon!
>>
File: 42472904_p9_master1200.jpg (162 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
42472904_p9_master1200.jpg
162 KB, 480x640
Agility mega-Amp
>Outspeeds max attack/hp Azumarill and OHKOs
>Switches in on +6 Aqua Jets with 0 fucks given
>Fucks Talonflame
>People not realising timid outspeeds base 130s after an agility and trying to revenge kill with Gengar or Weavile
>Bonus points if your opponent doesn't know how Mold Breaker works and they try to bring in Dragonite or Phaze you out with Skarm
>>
>>24925496
>agility sweeper
>doesn't outspeed any common scarfers save Ttar

Kek
>>
>>24922986
>>24923144

>Not knowing Talonflame and Staraptor are good
>>
File: stoutland.jpg (247 KB, 840x720) Image search: [Google]
stoutland.jpg
247 KB, 840x720
This.
>>
>>24927525
My Scrappy Stoutland murdered the Ghost Elite Four bitch in Hoenn. Shit was SO cash.
>>
Fearow. In both gen 4 battle factory and random battles on showdown, he's great. Can't really use him elsewhere but that double edge cleans up messes.
>>
>>24924681
what set did you run with it?
>>
File: 1450621434373.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1450621434373.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>24927525
>mfw after you stoutland + choice band rock slide Ttar
>>
Seriously, Stoutland. That thing is so much stronger and more versatile than you would expect and all three of its abilities turn it into a beast. Intimidate forces people to switch out or die and makes it bulky with zero defense EVs since it's already bulky. Scrappy means you can't even switch into it. Sand Rush cleans up.

>you thought it was some early level shitmon like Rattata and Poochyena
>>
File: swoobat.png (151 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
swoobat.png
151 KB, 960x540
>Swoobat
>Calm Mind
>Simple
>Weakness Policy
Special Sweeper that legends were made of.
>>
>>24928951
Beheeyem is also surprisingly good.
>>
>>24927462
staraptor is PU at best
>>
>>24928958
Bait
>>24922986
I experimented and tried jolly choice scarf Pangoro. It was really good with 115 speed with him. Bulky, good dual typing, quad resistant to sucker punch, and a faster switch initiative with parting shot.
Too bad he'll be fucked over by Talonflame
>>
>>24924681
Did you put specs with it? Also I tried special Seviper. It's decent as a special attacker.
>>
File: Sharpedo.full.1081453.jpg (80 KB, 651x874) Image search: [Google]
Sharpedo.full.1081453.jpg
80 KB, 651x874
>>24922986
>Using scarfed Quick Attack over Close Combat
Why?

>>24924681
I'm actually very interested in this Tauros set. Please elaborate

>>24925265
>Garbage Pokemon
>Garbage Set
Don't use this, it literally is a burden to your team

>>24925496
Surprisingly decent actually. I still recommend a bulkier set but this is usable.

>>24928955
Agreed, Analytic really makes this thing a solid enough Pokemon.

The set I always loved was Specially Offensive Sharpedo in XY RU. Easily my favorite cleaner.
>>
>>24928452

Tauros was Sheer Force Life orb, Naive, Max S. ATK and Speed, 4 hp. Fire blast, Ice beam, earthquake, and rock slide. Sometimes I quit EQ and go for Thunderbolt, since I got Heatran covered with something else. You need Naive because you need defense and hp, tauros need no investment to always survive talon flame, rock slide uninvested always kills talon too. Fire blast and ice beam for obvious reasons

Arbok :
First set I don't remember the evs, I think it hit 228 on both defenses and some "lefties hp" . nature was in favor of a defense, does not matter which one, but less SAtk. Shed skin. Stockpile, rest, and 2 moves for damage. Toxic, the fangs, infestation, dragon tail... You are going to stall, so pick a combination that lets you at least hit everything...

Second set... I also don't remember the spread, but I was just testing it and it changed a lot, playing with hits . Used it for doubles. Intimidate, and black sludge . It had Confide (my bad up there, I messed it with acid spray), infestation, and I changes the remaining moves. Most of the time I went with bulldoze and switcheroo, using black sludge. I changed bulldoze more than switcheroo, I found that leaving permanent damage and stealing items was decent in doubles, and more importantly, support I needed. Other options are : Scary face, acid spray, round (for combo with those special megas), glare, haze, endure, gastro acid, disable, giga drain... It all depends of the needs of your team.

I liked this Arbok set the most, since it proved to always deliver utility. The idea came from an eelektros a friend used, but Arbok has more options. Both Arbok and Tauros became Bros with these sets, Tauros saved my ass countless times and Arbok... I felt I improved my play style using it because I needed to be more creative for it to work.

Will Check pc and game for exact spreads. Hope u test and like them.
>>
>>24922986

>one me allot of battle

when is hiroyuki going to ban children and foreigners
>>
>>24929047
>>24929051
Elaborating more on tauros strategy:
Life orb, specs fucks you up and sheer force will anule residual damage from most of what you will run.
Naive is needed, you need max speed to be safe you will outspeed. Also, you need that defense intact to ensure you will always survive talonflame (you can check, it survives banded max attack adamant talon's brave bird).
Max special attack is needed to not rely on entry hazards for some kills...

Ice beam, fire blast and rock slide. Main three moves, all with side effect so they get powered up. Anything in ou weak by 4 to any of those moves dies or gets almost OHKOed. Calcs should be on archive, I posted them in the past.

Thunderbolt or EQ for gyara or Heatran, your election. EQ gives you LO damage, so watch out for it.

Basically, tauros outspeed most Ou(love that speed tier) and even with that lame S. ATK, with that x4 weakness and Sheer Force +LO, it barely but OHKOes common Ou threats. It's not intented to hit hard (it doesn't, hits very mediocre if you are not hitting with SE) it's intended to save your ass reliably against common used mons that unless scarfed (and some times, with that base speed , even if... ) can hand your ass to you.

It's very easy to throw in a team and can cover some important weakness. I have been using it for years, times it let me down were matter of hax (fireblast missing, talonflame getting a critical... Matters of luck).

I have been using for years, with CustapSturdy Aggron with a similar approach as this one, caught my eye while looking for calcs to show up (found it googling special tauros lol) :

Smogon dot com slash forums slash threads slash load-of-bull-ou-offense-ft-tauros dot 3486451

You can use that set too, is also good, but now I don't rely on hazards and rather go full to get koes.
>>
>>24929414
Never knew you bring a Tauros on an OU match.
Having balls by bringing it gives me respect for you, and that comes from a person who loves bringing lower tier stuff into OU and Uber matches.
I definitely try to bring him to my team. It's hard to find one in cart, so I'll just hack then breed it.
>>
>>24929439

More than balls.. I think it's I like to have fun. And test stuff. Some examples :
ou-96392163 (Eviolite metang and Assault vest blissey)
ou-98578324 (arbok having fun, defeating conkeldurr and rotom. Also, tauros does a bit)
ou-150636621 (assault vest meta gross)
ou-200625785 (specs H-rotom)
ou-201804266 (tauros won this one, over stalled the fucker and won)
ou-201815631 (tauros again. I knew it would be an easy play because I saw tauros killing half his team...)
As you can see, I like a team that can stall if needed and that can hit reasonably Hard. Most of the mons I run are personal favorites after testing stuff... I run spreads to resist specific stuff or to kill specific targets, will post some later today with specific evs of asked to.

I posted examples of the Mon working, on my replays I have some plays i did just to kill time (I played so bad) and some shit I did for the same reasons (banded chansey among them).

I would love to hear what you bring to ou, and I'm honored I recieve someone's respect for using tauros...
>>
>>24923144
If anything I've consistently found Talonflame lacklustre. It obviously needs to be kept for late game when some of your opponent's Pokémon are actually in OHKO range, but I just don't find it powerful enough for it to work a lot of the time.
>>
>>24928509
I played against a guy using Stoutland alongside Tyranitar in a VGC tournament a few months ago. I'd seen After You+Focus Punch shenanigans before, but the Stoutland was intimidate so I don't think my opponent really knew what he was doing.
>>
zoroark
>>
I didn't play much of gen 6 but I used Musharna early in Gen 5 when tiers weren't established yet. Bold, calm mind, moonlight and psyshock was great, and synchronize is always fun.

Sawsbuck too, because nature power became earthquake in wifi, but not anymore.
>>
>>24929685
Lmao what a retard.
>>
>>24929051
quick attack for priority, my fighting coverage is good
>>
holy fuck, this guy right here!!
my strategy is a hit and run type deal. i give him a choice band because he is going to leave after one hit any way. jolly nature with 252 in attack 252 in speed and 4 in defence
Retaliate
Ice punch
sucker punch
Double edge
i have a suicide lead aridos and then retaliate anything that comes in, good luck living a choice banded 140 base power stab attack with a base 160 attack full evs in attack and jolly nature. then i run away and send out what ever poke i need for the job next, usually my walls
>>
>>24922986
Kabutops. Sure, he's not without flaws, but with a Band and Weak Armor, he can clean up games single-handedly. It's pretty impressive.
>>
>>24934400
what set did you run? what moves?
>>
>>24934419
Choice Band and Weak Armor with Aqua Jet, Waterfall, Stone Edge, and Knock Off/Superpower, depending on the team. Jolly nature.
>>
File: rain.png (284 KB, 700x350) Image search: [Google]
rain.png
284 KB, 700x350
>>24922986
ludicolo
>>
Hawlucha has been doing pretty well for me recently. If I can get a single swords dance, which happens most the time, Hawlucha will tear apart everything. Only thing that gives me issues are focus band/sturdy.
>>
My bro Cofagrigus is just great
>>
>>24929051
>it's bad because I say it's bad

Subcurse Trevenant is literally the best answer to any baton pass play.
>>
>>24934819
set up rocks first
>>
>>24934347

dude this shit is sick. i'm gonna try this.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.