[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Pokemon the only series where liking the old games is bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8
File: cleffa_by_ilikki-d8touig.png (56 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cleffa_by_ilikki-d8touig.png
56 KB, 500x500
Is Pokemon the only series where liking the old games is bad? I never see anyone being called a NESbabby for liking SMB3.
>>
It isn't a matter of liking the old ones as much as wilfully ignoring/shitting on the new ones because they don't appeal to your nostalgia.
>>
>>24925316
SMW > SMB3

Fite me irl niggers
>>
That's because SMB3 is a fantastic game in it's own right and even today is a great platformer if not one of the best, especially when thought of in context or how well it's aged.

Pokemon Red and Blue not only aged like milk, but in retrospect weren't even great games to begin with. Most people who liked pokemon really just liked the pokemon themselves, and the games by proxy because that was how we were able to play with them.

The other important thing you gotta think about is that Pokemon in the 90s was a HUGE fad and phenomenon. So you get a ton of people who don't play pokemon any longer or perhaps no longer even play video games at all throwing shade at the new games because all they have is nostalgia for the original 151. Even despite the fact they haven't played it since 1999.
>>
>>24925346
smw is horribly overrated and smb3 has better powerups, artstyle, better levels, better music and has minigames
>>
>>24925346
Step up, kiddo.
>>
yeah, I've noticed pokemon is the only fanbase where people go out of their way to shit on people who like the old games. It's hilarious.
>>
File: Mario_SM64-3.jpg (610 KB, 1380x768) Image search: [Google]
Mario_SM64-3.jpg
610 KB, 1380x768
>>24925346
>>24925363
SM64>both
Fight me faggots.
>>
>>24925316
It's kind of like how people will fight to the nail claiming that Ocarina of Time was a masterpiece and completely ignore majora's mask for the real masterpiece it is. Really, people cherry pick because something is older makes it better because it was first. RBY can appeal to nostalgia and can be enjoyed today, but from a critical standpoint and honest assessment of assets in the game, it is garbage, and glitchy as fuck. But GSC are better because a lot of the problems were fixed and the games continually evolve. However in the case of LoZ, OoT, was a step back from A Link to the Past, as far as 2d to 3d games go, but Majora's Mask was what made the series actually get better.
TL; DR: it's fine to enjoy old games in a beloved series, as long as you can acknowlege that by todays standards and even when they first came out they are bad from technical standpoints.
>>
>>24925521
>OoT was a step back from aLttP

It was perhaps not as good as aLttP all things considered, but calling it a step back is disingenuous when OoT was the first 3D Zelda and one of the first 3D Adventure games period. If anything it was a step forward, in fact an unprecedentedly huge step forward. aLttP is narrowly better in terms of overall quality but it has plenty of experience to pull from, perfecting something that's already been done again and again rather than doing something new and getting almost everything right on the first try.
>>
File: 1365982718879.gif (491 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
1365982718879.gif
491 KB, 500x376
>>24925316
You're allowed to like the older games. You're not allowed to scream and shout "POKEMON DIED WITH GEN [whenever I became a teenager]! ONLY 150 POKEMON ALLOWED, EVERYTHING ELSE IS SHIT!" or act like Gen 1 didn't have bugs and flaws.

Gameplay-wise Pokémon has objectively improved since Gen 1 and there are definitely good designs past those Gens, as long as you acknowledge that there's nothing wrong with being a fan of the older games.

American SMB2 > all
>>
>>24925316
Liking the old games isn't bad, it's trying to argue that:

1. There are no more pokemon after 151
2. The old games are objectively the best compared to more recent games

It's fine to enjoy the older games more than the newer games, but when you spew the MUH ORIGINAL 151 and deny that future games exist or that the older games, filled with bugs and horrible code, are objectively better than the newer games is your argument bad.

You can enjoy what you enjoy, but the mess that was Gen 1 and Gen 2 is way too much to even consider them the pinnacle of the Pokemon series. This is why when people start conversations about Gen 3 being the best gen or any of those games being the best, some sort of discourse can happen because there are many many positives to outweigh the negatives compared to RBY or GSC.
>>
>>24925682
>Gen 3
>>
Gen 1 was all we had. Looking at it objectively, Gen 1 is pretty shit. If you say gen 1 was the best you are either bullshitting or its because you were 10.
>>
>>24925725
I meant to say Gen 3 and onwards
>>
I like all gens equally. come at me.
>>
>>24925363
>smb3 has better artstyle
stopped reading right there
>>
File: 128020345923.jpg (178 KB, 1166x875) Image search: [Google]
128020345923.jpg
178 KB, 1166x875
>>24925362
Those people didn't play Pokemon, nor any game for that matter. You could watch the anime, mention a random Pokemon and you were hot shit. I got popular(kinda)when I mentioned Onix and Pikachu's battle. ANYONE could participate back then. And Gen III was the point where you either were a fan of the games or just a bandwagoner of the phenomenon. These same people want an MMORPG or think the series died after Gen II. When the fad died out, the only thing remaining were the fans who saw the series as more than just that stupid show on Kids WB. YouTube comments are full of those people who whine about their childhoods and how the new Pokemon look stupid, when they never played the games at all.

Nostalgia's a bitch, and it can be dangerous. Lucky for GameFreak, those people gave them billions of dollars and they were able to refine the formula and engine. Note how Gen III got the most hate. It was when Pokemon became a game more than an ad for the show.
>>
>>24925316
because of how heinously offensive genwunners are/were about everything else, people have become just as offensive towards anyone that shows the slightest symptom of being a genwunner.

It's dumb. But that's 4chan.
>>
>>24925346
While I loved SMW religiously, part of SMB3's appeal was the variety of thematic worlds and it had more power-ups to play with. In fact, SMB3 influenced NSMB and both of the 1-Up Studio platformers' direction more than Super Mario World has.

Like SMW has some replay value, but not in the same way SMB3 does, probably because you can't revisit worlds and forts which is something World introduced to the series.
>>
>>24925316
No, have you ever heard about meleefags
>>
>>24925316
>liking the old games is bad
exact opposite

5 = 3 > 1 >>>>>>>>>> 6 = 2 > 4
>>
>>24929598
BASED
>>
>>24929603
4 would be higher if it didn't have that molasses engine. Platinum is the only game worth playing in the entire Gen and only because it's the best possible version of Sinnoh available. I'd be shocked if the remake was actually worse.
>>
>>24925316
RGBY are enjoyable games, but they are objectively glitchy as fuck. It's like Sonic 06, except with a more coherent story and less backlash.

But most of the "Pokemon died in Gen 3" people never even played the video games.

See also:
>>24925521
>>24929421
>>
>>24929622
>objectively glitchy as fuck
no glitch has ever ruined the game for anyone, they probably didn't even know it happened, like when you hit Gyarados with a Grass attack, it says not very effective when it's really doing neutral damage. 99.9999% of the glitches don't affect gameplay in any way
>>
>>24929622
>It's like Sonic 06

LOL fucking please

Sonic 06 bugs actually adversely affect gameplay and they're fucking everywhere. R/B/Y glitches are barely noticeable. I think a lot of people here never actually played gen 1 and just exaggerate how bad the bugs are because they saw that retarded image.
>>
>>24925656
>>24925682

This is what happens.

I fucking LOVE 1st gen, and replay every 2 years one game at least, but saying that this was THE BEST is as wrong, as retarded.

I think that every gen was, at least, good when it comes out.

1- The beggining. Unique games.

2- Day/Night cycle, balanced types, breeding, TWO FUCKING MAPS

3- Fixed tons of things (stupid old bugs, PC storage bullshit, etc), graphics improve, amazing map with tons of secret zones. And never forget... First multi-region Pokemon (hard to know for almost all the people)

4- Day/Night cycles returning (but they NEVER were as great as Crystal...), FINALLY physical/special split (fixes tons of useless Pokemon)

5- For veterans, AMAZING "this is totally new game" experience; and some of the greatest type combination monsters (the starters are ugly and unoriginal as fuck...)

6- THAT NEW 3D CARTOON STYLE! (has framerate flaws, but, fuck... Is much better than Stadium/Colosseum style!), all that content spared in the middle of the game (and not as "only post-game"), and frome the 3rd gen (IMO), charming and great starters.

And, you are obsessed to say "what Pokemon game is the best"? For me, there are 2 options...

-Pokemon HG/SS: Amazing two maps again, with damage split AND tons of new content

-Pokemon OR/AS: The best individually map, with some of the mos original and weird new content added. Also, all that wifi functions, improves (or fixes) al that Secret Bases thing.
>>
>>24925346
I refuse. You're one-hundred percent correct.
>>
>>24925363
SMW has a better artstyle and better music by far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjwhX0WqxXQ
>>
>>24925316
You'd probably get called a nostalgiafag if you said the NES FF games were your favorite ones but I can't confirm because I've never seen anyone express this opinion.
>>
File: 1447763508982.png (12 KB, 494x531) Image search: [Google]
1447763508982.png
12 KB, 494x531
>>24925316
Ocarina of time vs Lttp
mario 64 vs mario W/3
dark souls vs Any of the soul series
melee vs any smash bros game

mostly nintendo game
>>
>>24929880
I'd like to see a new FF in the same style as the NES FF games, as in you don't get 4 named heroes, you get 4 classes and adventure the world with some vague direction.

I guess the MMO's kind of do that, but for whatever reason it doesn't do it for me.
>>
>>24929579
Tbf Melee is the funniest casual game. Brawl and 4 are too much of a clusterfuck.
>>
>>24925316
Smash Bros.

Fucking Meleefags
>>
>>24929880
Final Fantasy III is my second favorite but I've only played the first six so I don't have a fully formed opinion on the series.

Really there isn't much nostalgia with II or III since they weren't released in the west until over a decade after their original release. The "lol nostalgiafag" games in the series are IV and VI, not that VI is by any means bad.
>>
>>24930127
Meleefags almost never shit on 64, though. They shit on the newer games, and I agree with them in some instances. RIP Project M
>>
>be smashfag
>get shit on and thought of as literally hitler for preferring the game with actual depth and options
>>
>>24931606
Yeah
>>
>>24931589
>be casual Meleefag

I always thought that Melee was the smoothest running of them (Brawl slows down the heavy hits), but I'm more than willing to be proven wrong
>>
>>24931606
>implying a lot of people shit on Brawl
>>
>>24925363
There's a reason why SMB3 style levels are the fewest in Mario Maker.

SMW has better gameplay and richer visuals.
>>
>>24931763
I've actually made nothing but SMB3 levels, except for a couple SMB1 levels I made early on and a couple SMW levels that are only SMW because I wanted to use Yoshi/throwing shells upwards.

All of them are cave levels too, except for one Airship level.
>>
>>24929598
>>24929614
>MUH SLOW GAME BECAUSE I'M FUCKING SPEEDRUNNING IT

Go eat shit. Gen 4 is by far the most innovative gen of all time.
Platinum is literally the franchise's pinnacle and HG/SS were leagues better than the original.
>>
>>24931773
>the most innovative of all time
Literally all it brought us was the move split. Gen III gave us EVs and natures.
>>
>>24931797
>gen 4 didn't bring online
>didn't bring touchscreen functions
>>
>>24925520
SM3DW > SM64DS > SM64
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 480x360
>>24931763
This. Also:
>mfw making levels in Mario Maker where you need to use yoshi until the very end
>>
>>24931805
Oh boy how could I live without my touchscreen functions
>>
>>24929702
>oras is good
nice meme
>>
>>24925328
Why are there responses after this?
This the answer.
>>
>>24929702
>The best individually map
Actually being 3D only makes Hoenn worse than it was.
>most original a new content added
Enjoying that Battle Frontier?
>secret bases
Literally who gives a shit?

ORAS are fucking shoddy remakes and Emerald still shits on them.
>>
>>24929750
Anon you forgot one
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pYi6xPnFovM

We all know DKC blows every Mario game out of the water though
>>
>>24931892
>DKC
Mediocre as fuck. I don't know why people overrate them so much.
>>
>>24925391
This

You guys are brats
>>
>>24931869
>ORAS is bad

Worse meme
>>
>>24925521
>YOU HAVE TO SAY YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THE BAD PARTS IF YOU LIKE THIS GAME

Autism to the max.
>>
>>24929880
They're my favorites. And my first game was FF6.
>>
>>24925316
>liking old games is bad
>buying into underage memes
>>
Here's the thing, guys.

You don't like people who say stupid shit like "Pokemon died after Gen 1" or that claim those ges are objectively the best--- but look where you are.

This isn't fucking Facebook. If someone here likes RBY, like me, they've most likely played other Pokemon games. They know there were glitches. You don't have to get your shit in a twist and assume we're all looking at Gen 1 as some perfect masterpiece. I shouldn't have to say "although I acknowledge they weren't the best designed games" or anything like that whenever I mention Gen 1 in a positive way. That's some baby shit when you demand that.

What I'm saying is, your genwun boogeymen don't live under this bed. You're wasting your time throwing a bitch fit every time you hear about someone here enjoying RBY.

Gen 1 a best though for real though.
>>
>>24931909
>better music and aesthetics
>instead of just adding more enemies like the first 3 Mario games, they actually do an overhaul of the baddies in each game
>the big bad is actually pretty entertaining
>rolling adds another level of depth to the gameplay
>tons of secret shortcuts and shit in all 5 games
>the second game actually throws you into enemy lines at the very beginning how fucking cool is that
>TF was one of the few good games on the Wii U

I guess it's mostly personal preference though
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.