[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Unorthodox Suggestions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: hmm lenny.jpg (27 KB, 395x346) Image search: [Google]
hmm lenny.jpg
27 KB, 395x346
How would you feel about the main games having rare battles with major NPCs that vastly outleveled you for where you were in the game?

For instance, you've got a badge or 2 but encounter the evil team. You tear through most of the grunts as usual but the admin's team are all level ~40. If you lose (which you're most likely to) then they say something like "You were delusional to think a runt like you could face me/Evil Team." If you win (either through luck or bringing an overleveled team for that point in the game) they can comment on you being impressive and a potential threat down the line.

I don't know, just a thought. It always struck me as forced convenience that top executives in these teams would be sent out with teams around just level 20.
>>
>>24894341
It depends. Is this the kind of battle where if you lose, you have to keep trying, or it actually changes and they leave?

If is the latter, then I would be all for it, since it makes sense. Otherwise, no. But the idea itself is great, that's for sure.
>>
>>24895052
>>24894341

I have had similar ideas. There could be sidequests where you can finish a certain amount of it based on your level. The player wouldnt be locked out of them or given artificial walls or "Oh you don't look cool, i dont need your help/WOW TEN BADGES PLS SAVE ME NAO"

Instead some of it would require you to maybe battle a boss or miniboss, which you would lose nothing (or very little) if they defeat you. That side plot is simply left hanging until you level up. Nothing will prevent you from battling, say, a high ranking Team Rocket in a certain cave witb all Lv50 pokemon after your second badge. They'd just brush you off and you'll train harder. Or maybe they ask you to go to a cave when your pokes are all Lv 30 but the cave is full of 45 pokemon. You can power through or come back later.

None of this fucking "oh that road is under construction good bye" You want to go on this route? Be our guest. But the wild Pokemon outlevel you 10 levels and the trainers are all shit hard. Your funeral.
I'm always reminded of Dragon Quest 3 when I was supposed to go north somewhere. After walking for what felt like half an hour, I realized I may have overshot it. Or not? Then I run into a team of ULTRAGRIZZLIES that OHKO my entire team. So yeah, I knew I wasnt supposed to be there til later.

I understand a guided learning curve but goddamn gamefreak treats you with literal baby gloves. even young children should have more freedom to explore than this shit.
>>
>>24895116
I've always liked when games do this.

mostly because I'm really good at cheesing my way through obstacles like that, and am a compulsive explorer.
So the game becomes really challenging and interesting as I explore deeper and deeper, then find the cool thing, and come back stronger from it, to resume the main story.
>>
>>24895052

Definitely the latter is what I had in mind

>>24895116

This all sounds pretty good. The only issue with it I can see is that it adds an aspect of difficulty which GF seem strongly against.
>>
File: no-fun.png (112 KB, 421x446) Image search: [Google]
no-fun.png
112 KB, 421x446
>>24895830

well of course. GF is adamantly opposed to all forms of difficulty, both for their players as well as for themselves while developing the game.
>>
>>24894341
And if you win?
>>
>>24896644
And if you read the entire post?
>>
>>24895116
I've always wanted to make a fangame like this, where you can explore the entire world from the getgo, except you will get fucked if you try powering through certain areas.

>>24894341
Fangame like Reborn/Rejuvenation do this to an extent (i also found out today jirachi from spmd does this). I remember you fight the boss of the evil team and he has a Lv 75 Garchomp that pretty much kills all your mons in one hit. I also remember it had a mixed reception. You have the fags that cry that it's a battle youre not meant to win, and that triggers them (m-muh items) but then you had the more reasonable people who complained that being able to kill a Lv 75 Garchomp with a team of Lv 40 shitmons with no reward wasn't really that good of a deal.

tl;dr its a fine idea, but there should be a reward for the player of they manage to get past the tough boss.
>>
>>24899403
a thread a few months back had a lot of amazing ideas about developing an open world pokemon fangame. Of course, you and I would probably be too lazy to see one all the way through anyways. But goddamn gamefreak, hire us already.
>>
It kind of sucks sometimes
>Be playing Skyrim
>Just reached halfway between Whiterun and the town you initially escape to (Riverwood or something)
>autosave occurs
>Fucking ELDER dragon swoops in to say hi just after.
T-thanks Bethesda.
>>
I'd like nore spaced trees so that i can walk off routes and into the forest and shit
>>
>>24900395
>you and I would probably be too lazy
As much as I don't like it, it's true. Which is why programs like Essentials are so great and allow kids and adults alike to make said games without the complexity of ROM hacking, but I guess bad fan fiction is a better substitute.

Oh well.

>>24900915
I guess you would have to be given adequate warning, then.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.