[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Central point of the series and games is "Pokemon r
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 16
File: average pokemon trainer.gif (2 MB, 344x315) Image search: [Google]
average pokemon trainer.gif
2 MB, 344x315
>Central point of the series and games is "Pokemon r ur friends!!!!"
>Actual game is eugenic simulator, mass breeding on industrial level, putting countless pokemon with imperfect genes in an eternal concentration camp or freeing them alone as babies in the wild to die from exposure and predation, categorizing species in tiers so literal racism and gambling money on fighting animals
>>
>>26984077
heh this OP gets it. None of my Pokemon are my friends,there just tools for battling for my entertainment. I just love the thought of a stupid Pokemon dying after being torn into shreads by a REAL wolf.
>>
File: 1466259951013.jpg (120 KB, 480x369) Image search: [Google]
1466259951013.jpg
120 KB, 480x369
>>26984106
>>
File: images (13).jpg (26 KB, 400x366) Image search: [Google]
images (13).jpg
26 KB, 400x366
>>26984106
so much edge
>>
File: thats the joke.jpg (30 KB, 452x339) Image search: [Google]
thats the joke.jpg
30 KB, 452x339
>>26984223
>>
>>26984106
Literally me
>>
>>26984106
Anon...that's pretty hot
>>
File: pokeman.gif (4 MB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
pokeman.gif
4 MB, 540x360
>>26984077
Your edge is sharp like a superior japanese Katana folded over a thousand time senpai!
>>
>>26984180
>>26984223
You know he's just mocking OP right?

Truly summer in here. Do we need a /s tag for you reddit babbes?
>>
File: Tips fedoras.gif (3 MB, 380x214) Image search: [Google]
Tips fedoras.gif
3 MB, 380x214
>>26984288
Sensible chuckle
>>
>>26984319
>JOKE'S ON THEM I WAS MERELY PRETENDING
>>
>>26984375
Are you serious? This

>heh this OP gets it. None of my Pokemon are my friends,there just tools for battling for my entertainment. I just love the thought of a stupid Pokemon dying after being torn into shreads by a REAL wolf

is so obviously sarcasm you'd have to be autistic not to get it.
>>
File: 200 percent dense.png (328 KB, 442x600) Image search: [Google]
200 percent dense.png
328 KB, 442x600
>>26984375
>>
>>26984288
God this gif makes me miss battle revolution.
>>
>insert sayings from the Church of Satan here
>>
File: 1464552679989.jpg (70 KB, 469x472) Image search: [Google]
1464552679989.jpg
70 KB, 469x472
>>26984277
>>26984288
>>26984344
>>26984444
>>
>>26984077
They are our lovers!
>>
>>26984344
That looks like something out of Power Rangers.
>>
>>26985158
This. I love my Gardevoir.
>>
>>26984077
Greetings, PETA
>>
what do any of you think the pokeworld really is?
>>
File: backtofront.jpg (26 KB, 425x340) Image search: [Google]
backtofront.jpg
26 KB, 425x340
>>26984406

God PBR was shit.

It had some great ideas but it was just thrown together in such a hodgepodge way. It's the epitome of wasted potential.

Crimes against humanity that PBR perpetrated:
>Nintendo-tier online mode with no form of matchmaking and a connection that drops more frequently than your mom's panties
>Flat uninteresting textures and recycled assets from THE YEAR 1999 means that pokes look shit
>Perplexing back-to-front menu system that looks like it belongs in Nippon, presumably because the localisation team was smoking doobies instead of editing the layouts. Pic related
>No automatic save system coupled with the glacial pace of 3D battles means that if Mom comes along and switches off the Wii you've just lost hours of progress
>>
File: image.png (123 KB, 356x256) Image search: [Google]
image.png
123 KB, 356x256
>>26984375
You're pretty slow buckaroo
>>
File: 1467606577530.jpg (83 KB, 680x756) Image search: [Google]
1467606577530.jpg
83 KB, 680x756
>>26984444
>>
>>26984077
>tfw Pokemon was the one thing that helped me make friends during first and second grade
>tfw thanks to Pokemon I'm not a lonely autistic fuck
Don't really know about the rest of /vp/, but I actually owe a lot to the games.
>>
File: image.png (6 KB, 166x200) Image search: [Google]
image.png
6 KB, 166x200
>>26985993

>tfw literal aspergers
>tfw pokémon recently replaced ponies in my life
>must constantly fight back the urge to talk about pokémon in real life
>autistic enough to act like a retard but not autistic enough to not care
>only aware of how cringeworthy i am after i accidently sperged out

Thank God /vp/ exists so I can gush about my urge to hugg Gardevoir because otherwise I would have blown a fuse.
>>
>>26986105
As long as you sperg in the proper places there's nothing wrong.
>>
>>26984077

>Catching a wild Pokemon with a good Nature is easy enough.
>Resetting and resetting your Pokemon's EVs are easier than ever with Super Training.

All they have to do is rework/remove IVs.

Imagine how cool it would be to go through the entire story with your bros, fighting and bonding with them, and then retraining them to fight in competitive battles. Imagine if the starter you began your journey with at level 5 was the same one you won VGC with. If it weren't for IVs...
>>
>>26986140
This. Comic book stores and hobby shops are perfect place to sperg out. Walmart and Target are not
>>
>>26986178
Fuck off Versilify
>>
>>26986105
are you me?
>>
>>26986140
>>26986189
>Sperging out
>Ever
>Not just hiding your powerlevel
/vp/ please post your sperg stories.
>>
>>26986195
But it's a legit issue. There's a hugs disconnect between the game's message and what you actually have to do to win.
>>
>>26986240
The issue is you should be playing another game. Get out.
>>
>>26986240
There's your problem anon
>Caring about VGC
>At all
It's literally a joke in the competitive video game scene, and the whole scene is one big joke. Just play the games, play on the online tournaments or whatever. Caring about competitive in Pokemon is like caring about the Overwatch competitive scene.
>>
>>26986240
>the game's message
When is this the games message? It's always conflicting by having some characters telling you to use whats strong and powerful in order to win and others telling you to just use whatever you want.
>>
File: smug rival face.png (4 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
smug rival face.png
4 KB, 256x192
>>26984106
Is this literally you?
>>
>>26986178
>>26986240
The entire game is beatable with a team of 0IV Pokémon. It's not an issue.

>Imagine if your first car was the one you won the Monaco Grand Prix with! If it weren't for for people looking for every competitive edge...

Protip, even if they did remove IVs, the starters would still be shit in competitive. If IVs are removed, Pokémon literally just become Stat blocks. Not only that, but it would ruin in-game too, why ever bother catching, say, a Spearow, if a Fearow can NEVER be better than a Talonflame? Why bother catching your favorite Mon, if it's objectively worse than every other Mon of /this/ species?
>>
>>26986514
Pokémon still have natures. And you said yourself that the game can be beaten by a team of 0 IV Pokémon, so it doesn't matter if you choose something weaker.
>>
File: 1463355374322.gif (4 MB, 680x383) Image search: [Google]
1463355374322.gif
4 MB, 680x383
>>26986105
>pokémon recently replaced ponies in my life
>urge to hugg Gardevoir

Your story checks out. I believe you.
>>
File: 1466216877519.png (8 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
1466216877519.png
8 KB, 240x160
>>26984077
That is only true for competitive players. I don't even look at IVs and only look at nature to use a pokemon to the best of their abilities. I only breed for egg moves and for pokemon I can't catch.

It's a good time all the time.
>>
>>26986548
That part wasn't about in-game, I suppose that's my fault for not making that clear. He wanted to talk about brining his Bros to, and winning, VGC. That isn't going to happen with or without IVsIVs, unless you're one of those fags that only have whatever is Ubers as your "Bro". But, with IVs you could theoretically make a build to surprise your opponent, make a trick room team, or something else. If every Pokémon has a static Stat block, then you can't really do things like that.
>>
>>26986651
I think it's generally understood competitive for any game exists outside the confines of the game's world. It doesn't count.
>>
>>26986514

>The entire game is beatable with a team of 0IV Pokémon.
The single player, yes, but that's the problem. You have your team all the way from the beginning, defeat Gym Leaders and the Elite Four with them, stop a villainous group, save the damn world, become the champion with them. And then... you throw them away, the Pokemon you've "befriended", and start playing eugenics. Because of IVs.

> If IVs are removed, Pokémon literally just become Stat blocks.

...But that's what they basically are with IVs in the game anyway? Hell, EVs are changable, making them more dynamic, IVs are just an invisible "stat block" that can never be changed.

>Not only that, but it would ruin in-game too, why ever bother catching, say, a Spearow, if a Fearow can NEVER be better than a Talonflame? Why bother catching your favorite Mon, if it's objectively worse than every other Mon of /this/ species?

But Talonflame is better than Fearow anyway, what's your point? Why catch a Fearow with better IVs than a Talonflame, if you can just catch a Talonflame with better IVs?

IVs add nothing positive to this game. All they do is add invisible, unchangeable numbers that prevent you from using your in-game Pokemon, and make it impossible to be competitive without hours upon hours of tedious breeding. And the idea of IVs "making Pokemon individuals" is moot, because a Pokemon isn't useful unless its IVs are perfect, so every Pokemon actually becomes exactly the same.
>>
>>26984077
As much as OP's being an edgy fuck, I do wish there were more actual "take care of your pokemon" aspects (or, at least, a pokemon game where you take care of pokemon BESIDES pikachu). Simple stuff like feeding them food to make them happy (actual food, not just cupcakes or colored cubes), Grooming them, catering to their needs (making sure fire types don't get too cold/wet, making sure grass types don't get too dry, etc).
>>
>>26986762
Pokemon is not the game for you. You should play nintendogs or some shit like that. I'm not saying that what you want is wrong, but it isn't part of the core games. The games have always been about going around the region with your team and trying to conquer the challenges that are presented to you. You fill the gaps using your imagination.
>>
>>26986754
>and start playing eugenics. Because of IVs.
No, you started that because you've chosen too, you could take your in-game team to VGC, but you've made that choice. VGC, nor battling online are requirements to complete the single player.

>But that's what they basically are with IVs in the game anyway?
Again my fault, I was not referring to a singular Pokémon, but the entire species of a Mon. So a Pokémon that can have a SpA between values A and B, after removing IVs will ALWAYS have a value of C, this is what I meant.

>But Talonflame is better
And thus is why you proofread your posts, I meant Pidgeot. Again my fault.

As for your last paragraph, please see my Monaco argument. Aside from that, why should you have to do any work to do something competitively, it's not like Athletes have to practice for their sport. It's not like Stewie2K has to actually play practice matches. I don't see how this is any different.
>>
>>26986762
The most I can say about this is that there are no consequences for abusing pokemon. At all. Trading away your "friends" is encouraged. What most disturbs me, though, is that your fighting has no purpose to it whatsoever.
>>
>>26986948
What gaps are there to fill with that mentality? Apparently, pokemon are mindless drones.
>>
>>26987073
Those are the gaps man. When you go from route to route, when you battle, when you capture someone, you imagine those moments as something that feels natural, as if you were there watching the Pokemon be Pokemon. If you play the games and think Pokemon just stand there during battles you're playing it wrong.
>>
>>26987218
I'm not the other anon, but if I do such a thing, I am going to assume that pokemon have thoughts and feelings like we do. That SHOULD mean they have a variety of personalities, which include not wanting to fight at all, at least not for a good reason. Apparently, my imagination goes against what the game has me do.
>>
>>26987272
The game preaches pretty hard that Pokemon generally like and want to be partnered with people. There are some that don't but it can be assumed that they are in the minority.
>>
File: wink.jpg (33 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
wink.jpg
33 KB, 480x480
>>26984077
Brilliant and refreshing observation, friend.
>>
>>26987288
I didn't say anything about that, I know that some pokemon DO want to fight, but I refuse to believe they ALL want to fight.

(sorry, I won't be able to respond, I pissed off a mod)
>>
>>26987272
As I said, you have to imagine Pokemon being Pokemon. I think >>26987288 explains that point pretty concisely.
>>
>>26987323
What is "being a Pokemon", then?
>>
One of Gen 6's subtle and therefore often unrecognized strong points, and one that it carried over from Gen V but did it less hamfistedly, as far as story telling goes is that it lets us know the pokemon world isn't all sunshine and rainbows, and there are ethical and moral problems going on in the background that we simply don't experience as the main part of the game, because it simply isn't the main aspect of the world. Just something older players interested in the story to see and and appreciate the layered world, while the kids can still just see the candy coated layer who don't care about the issues presented.
>>
>>26987272
>>26987288
the pokemon universe is inconsistent in absolutely every area and its really not worth thinking about
>>
>>26987356
Does this mean the game is hokey or I am?
>>
>>26987333
Don't think I can define what it is to be a Pokemon, but as the other dude I quoted said, the games push the idea that Pokemon like to work with people, and we've seen it throughout every iteration. Pokemon in the games are always willing to battle alongside their trainers, as well as do other activities together with humans. Besides, I think it's in most Pokemon natures to battle, aside from whatever special snowflake Pokemon someone on /vp/ says they own.
>>
>>26987446
It's also humans' nature to battle, but we can choose not to.
>>
>>26987472
>Implying a Pokemon that isn't willing to battle would be able to survive
>Implying a human who doesn't want to battle is anything but a faggot
You probably voted remain.
>>
>>26984077

Fuck off N we know that's you
>>
>>26987501
Well, part of the coexisting relationship people and pokemon have is that Pokemon are amazing and let us do amazing things, not sheerly for the enjoyment of battling. The first thing is accurate though.
>>
>>26987501
uh-oh, whiteboi mad
>>
>>26985993
Hell yeah bro. I was bullied a lot in school, then pokemon came out when I was in middle school and make things so much more bearable. I was able to just forget all the negativty because of Pokémon. I went to league events for the games and TCG and. Made some good friends. Also made some friends at school. Eventually I grew out of my awkwardness and was fairly popular in high school. Then joined the Navy, where I made more friends because of Pokémon. Then met my wife and had kids. I taught my son and now am teaching my daughter how to read and do math with the TCG. My daughter also loves the anime.

I know it sounds faggy and asspy as fuck but I don't know where I'd be without little things like pokemon. Pokémon is life. Pokémon is love.
>>
>>26987501
Screw you, too. I'm not afraid of any of you. I refuse to believe anything the game says.
>>
>>26987554
>I know it sounds faggy and asspy as fuck but I don't know where I'd be without little things like pokemon. Pokémon is life. Pokémon is love.
It didn't sound like that at all until that last part. Anyway, great going senpai, wish you the best of luck raising your children.
>>
>>26987567
>I refuse to believe anything the game says.
/vp/ in a nutshell.
>>
>>26987601
And yet every dex entry, game mechanic, or dialogue is treated like the bible. Figure that out.
>>
>>26987656
Thats just one guy, asshat Richard, and his disciples.
>>
>>26985199
Pokemon
Eticals
Torturing
Abominations
>>
>>26986209

I successfully blocked them out of my memories because it was psychologically painful to remember.

>>26986189

The trick is identifying interests people share. For instance at work if I know one of my coworkers like rape jokes and morbid shit like that then I can freely sperg out with my sick jokes. If I know another coworker is a huge Star Wars fan then I can sperg out about Star Wars.

>>26986140

I honestly believe to some extant everyone has a need to sperg out.

>>26986203

Y... yes.

>>26986588

I got into ponies in early 2012 when I was 16... Oh God the sheer cringe and spaghetti I poured. My pony phase is my own Vietnam. It's horrible and I don't like to think about it.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.