[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Smogon banned X because it threatened their precious stall!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 12
File: 20160505_101147.jpg (793 KB, 1440x2087) Image search: [Google]
20160505_101147.jpg
793 KB, 1440x2087
>Smogon banned X because it threatened their precious stall!

ITT: shit karenfags say
>>
>liking a pokemon doesn't count if you like it for how it plays and not because of how it looks!
>>
>Landorus-T should be banned to Ubers!
>X is shit in Ubers so it should be moved to OU!
>>
>you only like it because it's used a lot
>>
>>
File: Screenshot_20160505-102000.png (386 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160505-102000.png
386 KB, 1440x2560
>>26173834
Only one other post is mine.
>>
>>26173790
Wait they banned Mega Medicham?
>>
Not
>Smogon is one person
Are you even trying OP?
>>
>>26173859
No, the OP pic is showing a list of Pokemon that shit on Stall that are allowed in OU.
>>
>>26173800
Fuck off. I'm a smogon fag and even I believe this. I would never use shit like Ferrothorn.
>>
File: Verlisify.jpg (114 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
Verlisify.jpg
114 KB, 1252x1252
>>26173790
>ITT: shit karenfags say
>All of OU is just Landorus and Talonflame, literally no other pokemon is allowed!!!1!!!
>Smogon stole my girlfriedn!!1!!!1!
>I would destroy every OU player with my level 100 Charizard!!1!
>>
File: 2997e.gif (486 KB, 500x341) Image search: [Google]
2997e.gif
486 KB, 500x341
>Playing a baby JRPG competitively
>>
File: 1365854843912.jpg (105 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
1365854843912.jpg
105 KB, 500x377
>>26174738
Some people, like myself, actually like how "ugly" mons like Heatran and Ferrothorn look.

>>26174908
Don't forget retards that think that tiers ruin their bros when it does the exact opposite.

>>26174946
You don't have to agree with it. The point is when people shit on Smogon for reasons that don't make any sense, which is what this thread is for.
>>
File: SUFFER MORE.jpg (79 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
SUFFER MORE.jpg
79 KB, 500x500
>"Well, Pokemon itself supports the idea of using anything you want! You don't have a defense against that!"
>>
>>26174978
>"like" ugly

No that's called being a shiteating cuck with grandiose delusions. AKA a typical Ferroshitfag.

Stop going out in the open to preach bullshit because no one is gonna hear it and no one is gonna care. You're just a weasely faggot, end of story.
>>
what do you mean my bro is PU?? He's really strong in game are you saying he's bad??? waaaah
>>
>>26173790
>Smogonfags claim they ban strategies that are "over-centralizing to the meta-game"
>never ban entry-hazards
wew lad
>>
File: 1415744222068.jpg (25 KB, 254x260) Image search: [Google]
1415744222068.jpg
25 KB, 254x260
>>26175038
I like Ferrothorn and Heatran (always hear people complaining about Heatran, which is why I'm mentioning it) because they look like monsters. I don't think Pokemon have to look cute like Eevee, or cool like Scolipede. Ugly is good, too.

There are very few Pokemon that I dislike on the merit of how they look, and Nosepass is most of them.

Another thing - everyone acts like it's a crime to like a Pokemon for its competitive viability. Battling is the reason you play this game, and if you like a Pokemon because it's powerful, there's nothing wrong with that. Stop being a hipster.

>>26175050
Hazards are extremely important for keeping certain powerhouses in check and there are numerous ways to deal with them. You think people bitch about Smogonbird, but imagine the bitching that would take place if either:
A. Entry hazards didn't exist and it dominated OU even more than it did in early XY
or
B. Entry hazards didn't exist and Talonflame was banned to Ubers, leading to even more Karenfags bitching about Smogon
>>
>>26175050
They don't ban over-centralizing strategies, they ban over-centralizing Pokémon. Which is why they don't ban moves except for the two evasion ones.
>>
Smogon did test out a meta with no entry hazards. It was inundated with Sash and Dragonite dominated.

The trade-off is wanting a Spinner/Defogger for the presence of things weak to Stealth Rock. I wish we did welcome defensive Moltres and Eviolite Scyther among other things, but it would be at the cost of extreme offensive pressure from Volcarona, Mega Charizard, Talonflame, etc. I think the answer might be to introduce hazards of other typings, especially Ice, but then have more options that can clear hazards too.
>>
>>26175140
>ban OHKO moves, Evasion moves, Moody, Swagger, multi-Baton Pass, and restrict Shadow Tag, weather abilities, and certain Mega stones
>all because the few people who get to decide bans don't want to deal with them and don't want to have to find ways to play around them, and instead just take the easy way out of "I don't like it therefore it's banned"
>similar reasons as to why entry hazards aren't banned, in that "We like it, therefore it's not banned" even though entry hazards are literally a "you better have a Pokemon to set them up and/or remove them, or you're at a severe disadvantage from the get-go"
All of these could easily be allowed and moved around to proper tiers, but no. Smogon administration doesn't want to have to take the time or effort of coming up with new strategies to deal with these things, or to take the time to test them against other strategies to find their proper places, so they just outright get rid of them.
>>
>>26175218
I hope you realize Smogon only proposes suspect tests and it's up to the players to decide if something goes or not. There are quickbans for things well established to be broken but everyone is on the same page when it comes to those bans.
>>
>>26175218
Oh boy, I forgot to add "Smogon bans things because they don't know how to deal with them" to the OP.

There are many ways of dealing with hazards. They're not overcentralizing at all, and they're a legitimate part of competitive singles.

The problem with Evasion, Moody, Swagger, multi-Baton Pass, and Shadow Tag is that they are extremely uncompetitive.

The problem with weather abilities is that they're too powerful for UU and below.

The problem with certain Mega Stones is fucking obvious.

See >>26175153. Sash and Multiscale become too powerful without a means of keeping them in place.

>Smogon administration
I shouldn't have taken the bait. Smogon proposes bans and the userbase votes on them, you mong.
>>
>>26173813

This. These ones make me laugh the most.
>>
>>26175218

There's so much autism in this post I don't even know where to start
>>
>>26173800
Or better yet:

>if X is too good/powerful/viable, it can't be your favorite! only shitmons are allowed to be someone's favorites!
>>
>>26175423
>I don't agree with that argument but I can't come up with anything to refute it, so I'll just ad hominem instead
>>
>>26173790
>Smogon is too ban happy, enjoy not being able to use your favourites
>Smogon should ban Lando and Talonflame, I hate fighting the same Pokémon all the time
>>
Don't understand the hate that karenfags get. You try to defend smogon by shitting on the other? That won't help.
Some of the Smogon changes seem a bit silly, but honestly, it's interesting to see how people use their favorites and incorporate them into a team. Boring when Pokemon show up way too much, but nothing that can really be done. If I want an even playing field that's fun, Contests are there for me. That said, I actually do use my favorites when I feel like doing some wifi randoms, and it's always fun seeing how far my Masquerain or Spinda go.

Also wouldn't a true karenfag not care what your fave is? My fave is Mawile, and it's annoying that people think it's only because of how much better it got. I think it's great that some weaker mons are getting stronger, and hope more Pokes get that treatment.
>>
>>26174908
>"ou players are sooooo predictable and easy to beat! my bros always win because ou players have no originality"
>"w-what? you want proof? fuck off, smogonfag! i don't need to prove myself to the likes of you"

every time
>>
>>26175488
Yeah, Karenfag is kind of a shorthand thats misplaced a bit. Instead of Karenfag, it should be "anti-smogonfag" or "retard who knows nothing of competitive".

A karenfag isn't necessarily anti-competitive. Hell, I, along with many other here, am a combination of a Karenfago and Smogonfag. I play competitively, and typically do pretty well, but almost exclusively use pokemon I like, or love, with rare exceptions (and often, I end up liking those exceptions too.)

No one cares if you use your favorites. It's more about fags like >>26175038 who can't comprehend someone liking something they don't like, and literally break a blood vessel out of nerd rage over it.
>>
>>26175106
You're the hipster who shits on Charizard. Stay jealous.
>>
>>26175489
This is the dumbest. When people complain about the diversity of OU or VGC they always say most players are just not creative or lazy. But somehow they are never able to exploit the standard teams everyone is using with their own super creative team setups either.
>>
File: 1450327158278.jpg (45 KB, 592x484) Image search: [Google]
1450327158278.jpg
45 KB, 592x484
>>26175557
One, I never mentioned Charizard. I like him, though I prefer Venusaur.
Two, you must be stuck in gen V or something. I miss stealth rock memes, actually.
>>
>>26175153
Dragonite was also my bro since gen 4. God I wish he was that good still, well at least he isn't Salamce
>>
>>26175218
Anti Smogon faggots ladies and gentlemen.

Yes it can be retarded sometime, but it's better than fucking this shit
>>
>>26175488
Imagine you are playing chess, and because you want to be good at it you spend a lot of time thinking about good openings and effective strategies and practicing to just get better in general. And because you like the game and want to discuss what actually works you go online to talk to other chess players and see what they like to do. So you go to a chess forum and say: “Bringing out your powerful pieces early and controlling the center are the basic objectives I follow in the early game.“

And then some guy responds with: “All pieces are viable, there are no good or bad pieces only good and bad players. A real chess master should just play what they like and anyway chess is about forming a bond with your pieces. I like to use a pawns only strategy and I do really well against my friends. We are always having a blast playing games where we can only move our knights! You are ruining this game by taking it too seriously! It's only a game! All competitive chess players are boring and predictable anyway.
---
I don't calculate piece values, I don't gambit my way to perfection, and I don't care about openings. I move my chess pieces the way they are, and treat them like individuals.“

That is basically what trying to discuss competitive Pokémon is like.
>>
>>26175488
the thing that bothers me is that. smogon is totally okay with you using some shitmon you personally like. They've made tiers so you have a place that it can shine. For reference, Jumpluff is a huge offensive presence in PU. If jumpluff is your bro, try making a PU team. you'll fare far better than trying to go against OU
>>
>>26175686
What are you talking about, Dragonite is solidly OU and ranked B+ for viability. Just slap a defogger on your team and you are good to go.
>>
>>26175442
Fine I'll take you on.

Most of Smogon is to make stuff as equal as possible. Sometimes they're shit at this.

Is having a blessed with double team then healing fair? What will kill the damn thing? RNG? Aerial ace? Don't forget Solfboiled. Do you know what's an even better counter to that? RNG just using OHKO moves what fucking counter is there to just fucking 30% to kill your Pokemon? How about a 50% chance your Pokemon will hurt itself for a fourth of damage, and won't attack seems fair.

Do you know what is broken though? Spikes. And rocks. Things with 3 counters to each with their own checks of course because getting extra damage in a battle is completely broken though defiantly.

Ok I'm guess you hate tries if you can't understand why certain mega stones are bad. Altaria was/is PU with no mega and the thing shot up in OU should that stone be allowed in that tier.

(I think shadow tag ban is stupid though, but you're fucking retared)
>>
>>26175813
I like the weakness DD set. Get in on a non stab ice move or a -2 lati with Draco meteor and you are set
>>
>>26175813
Wait how come Altarias usage is so low compared to its viability?
>>
>>26176008
It is only viable as Mega, and since you only get one Mega on your team, they will have lower usage than other Pokémon if their base form is not good.

In other words: The usage of Megas typically does not accurately reflect their viability. That is why Pinsir is NU even though it is super good in OU. Smogons tiering algorithm from before Megas existed just does not place those Pokémon correctly.
>>
File: karen.png (74 KB, 372x459) Image search: [Google]
karen.png
74 KB, 372x459
>>26175488
Karenfag is specifically used to refer to those that hate Smogon, though. Nothing wrong with using your bros, it's when you shit on others for trying to win in a competitive game that people start hating you.
>>
>>26175793
This is not a good comparison at all since Pokemon is all about bonding in addition to a battle system, while chess has literally no attachment built to the pieces. With moves like Pay Day to do something nearly useless for competitive play, or Hold Back for capturing, things are different.

I guess you could compare Pokemon to Fantasy Football, since rookie sweethearts aren't always the best choice. For some reason though, people make the mistake of putting them in and feeling angry that they aren't doing better than those who actually took more time into putting a team.
>>26175804
I mostly disliked smogonfags (not smogon though) because of how fucking annoying they were early-/vp/, and because of how some literal kids just take movesets from there and disconnect when something weird beats their "perfect team". It's like playing USF4 with Dan and having an Evil Ryu or Elena disconnect on you. That shouldn't excuse a Dan doing the reverse, though.
People who complain about overpresence would love showderp (if it wasn't so cancerous) since it's fun to see different strats and Pokes in use. Maybe that's why they hate smogon, but honestly most of that stuff would be overused anyways. That or people who disconnect off wifi randoms because it "breaks smogon rules". I gotta admit, it is fun sometimes to cheese over on randoms with some broken evasion shit, and I feel that's fine, but I won't hate on people making their own leagues just to have a more fair place.
>>
>>26173790
Mega-gardevoir got ban? since when?
>>
>>26175606
I was refering to this faggot >>26174908 and you seemed to agree with him. All these kind of guys I see are the same but whatever.
I really dig Venusaur too. And I'm not a genwunner by the way.
>>
>>26175050
>>26175106
>>26175153
>>26175218
>>26175295
>>26175606
the reason smogon doesn't ban hazards is because stall becomes completely unviable without them and smogon does everything in their power to keep stall a viable playstyle, even if it means banning 20 pokemon/megas that threaten it.
>>
>>26176194
>>26174703

>>26176247
Nobody in this thread thinks Verlisify is anything short of retarded.

>>26176283
>
>>
>>26176174
It does not matter what game you are using as an example, or wether or not annying strawman dumbguy has a point in any way.

The irritating thing is that some people act like competitive play is in some way the opposite of playing “for fun“. For a lot of people, winning is fun, and using underpowered strategies is not. It's fine to just goof around and try weird stuff with friends, or only play with your Pokémon in Amie the whole day, but if you are not delusional you should at least acknowledge that good and bad Pokémon and strategies exist. I have seen people deny this. The fact that the Pokémon single player mode is about bonding and friendship and other anime cliches does not mean that base stats are suddenly not real, or that Talonflame is as good as Noctowl.
>>
>>26176373
All I'm saying is that it's annoying when smogonfags go in your face about something, or say that their way is the "best" way. I'm sure there are still people that don't mind smogon, like me. It's just when someone goes out of bounds and makes fun of people for not going through with their rules that it gets annoying. You guys can do whatever the fuck you want, but hearing someone force it down your mouth is fucking annoying. Not everyone does it, like most of this thread doesn't seem like it would, but there sure is a sizable chunk of people that do that. The only wrong thing is for someone to suggest there's a "right" way to have fun, no matter the side.
>>
>>26175295
>The problem with Evasion, Moody, Swagger, multi-Baton Pass, and Shadow Tag is that they are extremely uncompetitive.

not to defend any of that stuff but crits and random move effects aren't?
>>
File: Ness.jpg (30 KB, 415x322) Image search: [Google]
Ness.jpg
30 KB, 415x322
>competitive pokemon
>fighting CHALK once again being fun at all
>>
>>26176702
There's nothing you can do about those.
>>
>>26176729
I just feel like despite all the things GF has done to try to make the games competitive, it's really just not fit for it in my eyes. Even ignoring the fact that about only 40 or so pokemon are fit for it, all of the random elements of it can just make it so you can get fucked over at any time
>>
>>26176728
>chalk
>living in the past
>>
>this fucking arguement about entry hazards again
Go pit two bulky Gen 1 (not feasible in practice due to general power levels at that time, but just for a demonstration sake) teams against each other and see for yourself how ridiculously long the game takes when you can keep switching your Pokemon around with nearly zero repercussions. 6v6 singles absolutely needs hazards to avoid 200 turns in every battle, something the faster-paced official metas don't have to worry about. Current hazard mechanics (SR damage multipliers, spike stacking) are bad and should be changed, but the alternative of not having them at all is even worse.
Also a hazardless team is prefectly feasible in Gen 6 if you want to be a special snowflake and not run them at all.
>>
>>26177407
>special snowflake because you don't want to run hazards
Hazards aren't even that big in Gen 6. Stop using your cringey "if you aren't like me you're dumb" logic though.
>>
>>26176728
>ever fighting CHALK
>in moondeer and friends: the meta

Tbh, i don't even play vgc and only know the little i know about it from vp (so, very little), but vgc seems more centralised than any singles tier could ever be.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.