[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Gen II give anyone else angst?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 10
File: Pokemon-GSC-Johto-AzaleaTown.png (22 KB, 544x368) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon-GSC-Johto-AzaleaTown.png
22 KB, 544x368
Does Gen II give anyone else angst?
>>
>>25755387
I love gen 2. My favourite pokemon is noctowl because he's wise
>>
>>25755387
Nope, just nostalgia. I won't claim Gen 2+HG/SS is the best generation/games but I sure enjoy it a lot
>>
>>25755409
Me too, but it just makes me emotional for some reason.
>>
Gen II has a strange vibe that hasn't been in any other Pokémon games. Sort of a peaceful but melancholic feeling. I like it.
>>
>>25755452
Cianwood/Ecruteak's theme does it the most, along with national park.

>>25755480
HG/SS's viridian forest captures that bittersweet sort of nostalgic feeling perfectly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcUHZv5o41I

It conveys this feeling of something beautiful lost that you can never bring back, but can reminisce about.
>>
Best gen

>getting a Growlithe before the 1st gym
>getting an Arcanine by the 4th gym

Absolutely based
>>
>>25755515
I agree it's the best Gen by far, best I didn't want to start a gen war.
>>
Everything about Johto is pleasantly quiet. Even the most developed cities somehow feel more laid back than the smaller towns in Kalos and Unova. Sinnoh managed to bring back some of this atmosphere.
>>
>>25755524
>>25755515
Then keep your opinions to yourself and just talk about why you love Gen II.

Personally, I love it because it's vast. There's so much to do and the music is fantastic.
>>
>>25755515
>>25755524
fucking johtoddlers. keep it to yourselves
>>
>>25755555
bow down before my 5s you johtoshits
>>
>>25755555
I can't stop hearing how good Gen 5 and 4 everyday fuck you.
>>
>>25755387
In case anyone didn't know you can get heracross in Azalea by headbutting the trees there.
>>
>>25755511
I got the bittersweet nostalgia feel bad with the Kanto trainer remix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQDeML1NlHk
>>
>>25755409
>implying owls are wise
This is some serious meme, owls are actually pretty dumb
>>
File: image.png (11 KB, 368x250) Image search: [Google]
image.png
11 KB, 368x250
>>25755555
CHECKED
>>
>>25756085
Everyone on this board is getting banned then.
>>
>>25756085
Well, might as well close /vp/ then.
>>
>>25755480
You summed it up perfectly.

For some people, this will give heavy nostalgia. For others, an uncomfortable distaste.

But regardless of whether you love or hate it, this is the exact feeling of Johto.
>>
It sure did, I couldn't believe you lot tricked me into wasting money on the most horrible pokemon games not once but twice.
>>
>>25755480
This is very apt. I mean, they even made the Lavender Town theme comfy for these games.
>>
>>25755387
I think of gen 2 and all that comes to mind is boring and forgettable.
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 960x498) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 960x498
GSC on VC when?
>>
OP HERE
>>25756292
>>25756781
DELETE THIS
>>
>>25755515
>getting an Arcanine before the 4th gym
>Implying you wouldn't wait until lv 50 for it to learn flamethrower
>>
>>25756781
It must suck not having a childhood or nostalgic memories then.
>>
>>25756796

We've still got a full 3/4ths left of this 20th anniversary.
>>
>>25755387
The early game made me claustrophobic.
>>
>>25756093
>>25756109
Fine with me.
>>
>>25756796

Not necesary, the remakes can through a series of actions move your pokemon to the bank
>>
File: 5 gens.png (294 KB, 500x279) Image search: [Google]
5 gens.png
294 KB, 500x279
I have soft spot for gen ii, as it is the last gen i played when my sister still played pokemon.
she dropped out of pokemon because her togepi was male btw. i offered to trade her mine, but she was just too angry with the game.

I want to play with her again, but now she is 'pokemon is for kids' mindset. anyone knows how to get her back?
>>
>>25757314
Does she still actually play Vidya?

My sister used too, and she surprised me recently by saying she was considering buying a PS4, but even then I think she is just trying to impress a guy.

If she's moved on from vidya entirely, it's probably too late to get her back.

Especially considering how hugely popular X/Y was with teenagers and adults. All my adult friends got back into Pokémon in Gen 6, after not playing for 2, 3, even 4 gens.

So if X/Y didn't pipe her interest, maybe she is too far gone. But alternatively, gauge her interest in Sun and Moon.

Maybe try find a reaction video of the upcoming gameplay reveal, from a hot guy her age to show her its "cool" or some shit, I dunno.
>>
It's got that comfy rural Japan feel. It's great.
>>
>>25757536

It doesn't feel rural, just...older. Like it's got cities and all, but much like Osaka and the areas around it, only the central hub really modernized like Tokyo did.
>>
>>25755387
Crystal's game cart is so memerising.
>>
the Johto region feels kind of watered down for the return to Kanto, I don't like it very much. Although I will admit Red being the final boss was a great climax
>>
>>25757863

There's only so much you can do with limited storage space
>>
>>25757790
>mesmerising
Shitposting in the middle of the night isn't healthy for my grasp over the English language.
>>
>>25757863
They were going to have a safari zone but they had to cut it bc of memory.
>>
>>25757863

It's the best final fight in the franchise both in terms of in-game difficulty, lore, and if you were lucky enough to play this game before you had internet in your house, spoiler free shock value.
>>
>>25758216
I thought they cut it because of Glitch City.
>>
>>25757203
I do. It's just not of Gen 2. And tbqh family Gen 2 has and still is my least favorite gen. Maybe because it's very boring and there isn't anything really exciting that sticks out with it besides maybe the Magnet Train. I also don't like how with every game it seemed like it was borrowing from more from different regions to bring things to do rather than have it's own. Bug Catching isn't my forte.
>>
>>25755555
>>25755542
Fuck off you retard. I personally like Gen 2 the least and you should still kill yourself. If people want to call it the best, let them. Does it trigger your autism that people on the internet might have a different opinion than you that they should keep to themselves? On 4chan of all places?

Are you from tumblr? Crawl back into your safe space, if so.
>>
>>25758555
Anon you are very mad about a post on the internet.
>>
>>25758555
>Does it trigger your autism that people on the internet might have a different opinion than you that they should keep to themselves?
The irony being that your autism is flaring here because you can't accept people dislike it.
And on 4chan of all places.
>>
File: 1296197738686.jpg (139 KB, 400x301) Image search: [Google]
1296197738686.jpg
139 KB, 400x301
>>25758583
Because people are trying to take away muh freedom of speech on an anonymous imageboard of all places. Today, I will defend /vp/!
>>
>>25758678
Autism
>>
>>25758653
No, my autism is triggered because people are trying to stop others from posting what they like. That's my annoyance. As long as it doesn't break the rules or is extremely cancerous shitposting that has no place on the board, you can post whatever the fuck you feel like. That's the whole point of 4chan.

I fully understand my autism. That's why I'm on /vp/, genius.
>>
>>25758678
Thank you based freedomanon
>>
>>25758697
>No, my autism is triggered because people are trying to stop others from posting what they like.
No one is stopping you from doing that anon, on the other hand you're getting angry because people disagree with you.
That's basically tumblr incarnate.
>>
>>25755555
Wow, quints wasted on a shitpost. Good job anon. Johto is one of the oldest regions, so please explain how its fans are toddlers. Or better yet, don't. You're clearly too autistic to accept that people have opinions other than your own, and throw a tantrum about it.
>>
>>25758697
>As long as it doesn't break the rules
To be fair calling it the best when for obvious reasons it wasn't is shitposting and genwar fuel.
>>
>>25758733
>keep it to yourself
>keep your opinions to yourself
Those are literally the posts I initially replied to. Are you really saying that those posts don't encourage people to not post what they want because they might annoy others?

Anyway, I'm stopping this, because this meta bullshit right now is the more autistic thing in this thread.
>>
>>25755387
no it gives me comfort, its the most comfortable gen by far
>>
>>25755387
Not me. Crystal was my first major game. I had played Blue before as a kid, but for some reason it didn't appeal to me. I got a copy of Crystal from someone and it was great.
>Brotodile
>Slowpoke early on
>Growlithe early on
>motherfucking Heracross
>Sneasel in the Ice Path
>Natu in some area I thought I was hot shit for discovering
So many mons I hadn't gotten to use with Blue, and the game looked great to me. Johto reminded me a lot of where I lived at the time.
>>
>>25758809
This anon here >>25758799

>Those are literally the posts I initially replied to.
And the posts they were directed at were
>>25755515
>Best gen
>Absolutely based

>>25755524
I agree it's the best Gen by far

Are you seriously trying to say that they weren't trying to instigate gen wars? There's a difference between sharing opinions and outright saying it's the best for no reason.
>>
>>25756292
>tricked me into wasting money

This game is older than 4chan, let alone /vp/. By /vp/'s creation there was literally nothing stopping you from trying the games via emulator.
>>
>>25758861
Not that anon but

People need to justify their opinions because you dont agree? If they dont it's shitposting?

Saying you like Gen 2 the most in a Gen 2 thread is gen wars?

Someone saying it was the best when it cant be for for "obvious opinions I'm gonna call reasons" is bad?

This is bait but I'm gonna call you a bellend anyways.
>>
>>25755515
How the fuck did you get a Growlithe before 1st gym? Trading?
>>
>>25757298
So can FRLG.

>>25758279
That's what I thought as a kid (I thought Cinnabar got removed because of Missingno. too) but they could have just patched up the glitch if they didn't just recode it from scratch.
>>
>>25759026
http://www.serebii.net/pokearth/johto/2nd/route36.shtml
>>
>>25758814
this
>>
>>25759064
You have to defeat or catch Sudowoodo, and you can't until you've beaten 3rd Gym
>>
File: pokecrystal_15.png (3 KB, 160x144) Image search: [Google]
pokecrystal_15.png
3 KB, 160x144
>>25759108
They added a patch of grass to Crystal.
>>
File: 1343279706432.jpg.png (611 KB, 454x473) Image search: [Google]
1343279706432.jpg.png
611 KB, 454x473
>>25759150
That's mind blowing, I never thought to check there.
>>
>>25759150
Ah, only in Crystal I see. I remember my Gold run more, I rushed through Crystal
>>
>>25755480
I think is more like an upbeat strange funkish forest feel.
>>
>>25759188
That's understandable. The patch isn't in HGSS either.

On the topic of neat little things in Gen 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX-MnRXOwf4
>>
>>25759006
>People need to justify their opinions because you dont agree?
If you're going to bring the disagreement angle you'll have to remember how this thread began.
>Does Gen II give anyone else angst?
Implying a general dislike of the game.

>Saying you like Gen 2 the most in a Gen 2 thread
See above the thread didn't start as a thread that's pro gen 2 and those two anons jumped in like it was. If you're going to try and say it was the best you at least state your reasoning otherwise you're just inciting a gen war.

>Someone saying it was the best when it cant be for for "obvious opinions I'm gonna call reasons" is bad?
Yes.
You don't just call something "the best" for no reason.
>>
>>25755387
Even though Blue was my first Pokemon, Gold makes me remember my childhood while Blue is just like "Oh yeah I had fun playing this, I think. I don't really remember to be honest".
With Gold its like
>The music
>The colors
>The sprites
>The plot
>The postgame
It just felt like Gen I times 50. And it fills me with nostalgia every time I see a screenshot or a video.
>>
File: comfy.png (324 KB, 480x435) Image search: [Google]
comfy.png
324 KB, 480x435
There is something so comfy about the graphics, colors, and general atmosphere.
How the windows were glowing yellow at night time giving the sense that there were people inside doing things. And the passage of time itself, too. How many times have I played at night before going to bed, and everything was dark in the game as well.
And even though it was more linear than Gen I at least the first half of the game was it felt that things you did in the game actually mattered, and you even get to help the champion take down the Rockets. Shit was fun.
>>
File: P0kwdim.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
P0kwdim.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>25757790
>>25758201
Japs got the cooler cartridge.
>>
>>25760134
Gen 2 has my favourite artstyle. The sprites, the way characters look. It's just so fucking perfect. And I don't mind graphical evolution for video games at all, but they just really nailed it in Gen 2. You already described some things I like.

There is simply a certain charm to everything that makes me feel right at home.
>>
>>25757314
I love this pic but now that every region is in 3D I kind of want it but with the remakes instead.

I guess Kanto is only 3D in HGSS though
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>25759201
EH REH
>>
>>25756067
Owls are smart, dude. You're thinking of birds.
>>
>>25760134
>at least the first half of the game was
The game didn't change much aside from the fact that you had the choice between Olivine and Mahogany.
That said there isn't much of a variation it's either
Mahogany > Olivine > Cianwood > Olivine > Blackthorn
or
Olivine > Cianwood > Olivine > Mahogany > Blackthorn

Unless you're talking about the postgame in which case what does it matter?
>>
>>25763974
2bh that's way more freedom than most Pokémon games give. After Gen 2, it because basically 100% linear.

Gen 1 and 2 are the only games that give you a clear "here are the next few Towns and Gyms. Now have fun!" moment. They guide you by numbering the Gyms, but it's not enforced in the slightest. Everything after Gen 2 is much more strict with its instructions of where to go and what to do.

People complain about Gen 5's linear Region, and pointless roadblocks, but I swear to fucking god every game has this. Gen 1 and 2 to a smaller extent, but Gen 3 onwards ALL have an equal level of linearity with ridiculous roadblocks and shit.
>>
>Like I love that Kanto was added in, it was a great addition. But it just feels like everyone there is old and tired. Like misty calling me a pest, Brock just being glad he had someone to fight, and Jasmine trying her hardest to live up to her dad, and etc. Everything in Kanto, from the power to the homes and people, seem torn down, tired, and broken.
>>
>But when i went to viridian gym and they said the gym leader often wasnt there, i thought that meant that Red was the leader of that gym and I'd get my badge on mount silver. But nope, when I went to cinnibar island to see it was destroyed in a volcanic eruption, I saw blue I thought we would have an epic battle. Nope. He goes on a depressing speech on why we can't stop nature and that we can't stop fighting and tiringly says that he'll fight me in the gym.

>But for me the real kicker came when I went back to pallet town. I entered Blues house and her sister said that he doesn't come home that often anymore, and when I went to reds house, his mom said that she hasn't seen him in 3 years and was worried about him. That right there made me load up my save of Red, fly back to pallet town, say hi to mom and go up to his room and put him in the position he was in the first time I started the game, save, and I'm going to leave him there. Just so in my head, I can imagine that he's not going to leave his mom for 3 years and worry her.

>But anyways it's just a video game with 0 character development, so in the end it dosent matter. Thanks for letting me ramble this out.

>Just started playing again and beat Blaine. As one of the comments said, He was another part that made me feel down a little. The glorious fire leader, who was so hard in RBY, is stuck in an ICE cave, with no real gravitas in the situation. Just him in a cave. And when you start the battle, he cries about his burned up gym and how he'll give me a badge. Then when it's over he says this line: "I've finally burned out..." That was another hitter for me.
>>
>>25763787
do do doo doo
>>
>>25764163
>>25764184

This. I like seeing a region in the future. That's one of the reasons I love HGSS and BW2. Seeing how these places changed over time.
>>
>>25757463
>Does she still actually play Vidya?
only iphone games

ses not gonna get a console. we poor. we can still play roms, but our pc probably can't handle us playing ds games simulationly. gbc and gba are fine tough.
>>
>>25763892
Owls are birds.
>>
>>25760173
Oh, finally! I've been looking for an image of the japanese version's patterned board for ages. Not even bulbapedo has it. Thank you so much!
>>
>>25767735
>implying
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.