[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/heg/ - Hacking and Essentials General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64
File: a journey back to heg.png (10 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
a journey back to heg.png
10 KB, 240x160
A desperate hope edition.

Latest OP I could find:

List of notable ROM Hacks: http://pastebin.com/ua7u6gZz
Getting started on your own hack: http://pastebin.com/fjGZfMzP

Essentials:
Essentials Wiki: http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Essentials_Wiki
RMXP Tilesets: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sd99pug37y4v4se/Ziddy%27s+DS+Style+Tilesets+RMXP+.rar

Sites for sharing games:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/
http://reliccastle.com/forums/

IRC channel: #/vp/romhack @ irc.synirc.net
Webclient: http://webirc.synirc.net/?channels=/vp/romhack
ToTT: What's the best romhack you've played, and why?
>>
File: 1457911152784.jpg (32 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1457911152784.jpg
32 KB, 500x375
I've been going on & off with an essentials fangame for ages. I wanna work on something that isn't about collecting badges or some terrible equivalent. But then I start to think nobody will play it and give up. I may just work on something completely original in RPG Maker. I don't know.
>>
>>25663070
Is that resolute or mega power?
>>
>>25663070
Dropped my one gym demo today, check it out famalamalams
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=365632
Also want to give a shout out to everyone in my mapping thread the other day. You know the one I'm talking about.
>>
>>25663133
Anon, essentials is the hot new thing right now. Everyone loves essentials games.

it honestly boils my blood because now making a romhack is a pointlessly complicated waste of time that noone will play.
>>
>>25663159
I remember you anon, looks good. I'm busy now, but I'll check it out later.
>>
>>25663159
>bring burn heal
>the mountain man of mount moon wordplay

I like this, just from the screenshots. It's nice to see a lighthearted, non-edgy Pokemon hack.
>>
Pokemon Brown added several Pokemon to Red. Unfortunately it's got stupid shit like 4 more types than are needed.
>>
>>25663358
>Steel and Dark aren't needed

Anon, have you EVER faced a Mewtwo or Alakazam in gen 1?
>>
>>25663370
I'm pretty sure that anon is talking about the fake types that got added.

I'll agree with him, some sounded bearable at first like Sound but then there's shit like Wood and Wind. Considering that Grass and Flying types are already a thing, these just come off as unnecessary and stupid. This is pretty much my only problem with Brown though. If that sort of thing doesn't bother you, then it's a pretty fun hack.
>>
File: Tealyte Town 1.0.png (65 KB, 832x448) Image search: [Google]
Tealyte Town 1.0.png
65 KB, 832x448
Finally working on the route south of Tealyte Town...
>>
File: file.png (101 KB, 1228x478) Image search: [Google]
file.png
101 KB, 1228x478
This one's the route to the first cave southeast of the first gym. I'm not worrying about cleaning up the tree tiles and such till I have the layout all done.

I think this area is supposed to be a romantic lakeside date spot (at least that's the idea I'm going with right now). The rocks are where you climb up to get to a rockier mountainous area which will house the cave further on to the East. Maybe a small maze area going to the left along that southern cliffside? Still very much WIP.
>>
A 5 or so years back I made the start of a "choose your own path" ROM hack of Firered.
Played through it just now and it's mostly major cringe content
Will post Mediafire link later for anyone interested
>>
>>25664411
Forgot to mention that it's unfinished as hell, and you don't actually don't get any Pokemon for some reason.
>>
This is gonna sound odd...but are there any hacks that sexualize the pokemon?
>>
File: bulbasaur.png (505 B, 40x40) Image search: [Google]
bulbasaur.png
505 B, 40x40
Anybody doing a RBGY/GSC hack need a Fakemon spriter?
>>
>>25664411
Please post it <3 I love old unfinished projects
>>
>>25665868
I might. But it'd be in essentials not a hack.
>>
I really need feedback on this WIP song.
https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/maxiearchiebattle-wipwav
I can't get it to not feel empty, but every time I post this nobody responds, I've asked in about half a dozen places.

>>25663370
Brown added five custom types in addition to Dark and Steel (and Fairy in the 2014 update). Prism seemed to cut down slightly by removing Wood-type, but then we also know from a leak that there's going to be a Prism-type so that cancels it out.
>>
>>25664411
>>25664460
>>25666091

Here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1byep7ee5bbmc54/forest.gba

Some of the dialogue is really cringey and edgy, so have fun.

>pic related
>>
>>25663149
Resolute.
>>
>>25663070
Guys what do I need if I want to make a Pokémon game where you can't see the HP bar of Pokemon?

I also want to edit like the whole meta and some features.
>>
How can I make trainers say stuff in battle with Elite Battle? For example it's the dudes last Pokemon and he goes "Oh no Im backed into a corner" or something. I don't understand the forum description
>>
Any suggestions for route obstacles in a games that's low on hm moves? I want to be creative and not just having someone blocking the paths before defeating gyms.
>>
>>25667142
It sounds like some of the background notes that give the track a lot of its complexity are either missing or too quiet. I don't know shit about music theory so I can't really explain it, but I'd suggest listening to the RSE version of the track and making some changes based on that.
>>
>>25667477
Design the region like a hub. A new area/fly location opens up with every new badge.
>>
>>25667718
I actually have been ignoring half the percussion, now that you mention it, it has two channels and I was only looking at one, though it's only a marginal improvement. However, other than that, there aren't that many parts to it.

The song as a whole has eight channels used in it, and some of them move around, but for the portion of the song covered up to this point it's consistently:

>Channel 1 is percussion
>Channel 2 is percussion (both channels fit fine in the Noise channel in Gen 2)
>Channel 3 is the bassline
>Channel 4 are tiny backing notes
>Channel 5 is lead melody (for the part of the song I've covered, it moves around),
>Channel 6 is the "secondary" melody, a consistent moving part
>Channel 7 is identical to Channel 4 with harmonizing pitches
>Channel 8 is similar to Channel 6 in rhythm but modifies it enough to stand out

And 4, 6, 7, and 8 all have similar-ish rhythms in general.

By contrast the GBC has three melodic sound channels plus a noise channel. I've divided the channels into importance like this:

>Channel 1 is the main
>Channel 2 is Channel 6 due to having the most importance among the underlying melodies
>Channel 3 is the bassline
>Channel 4 is percussion

Now then, I tried adjusting the volume and fixed the percussion to be based on both channels instead of just one.
https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/maxiearchiebattle-wip2wav
Does this improve it any? First WIP is still up for comparison.
>>
>>25668369
And by "Channel 2 is Channel 6" I mean just for this portion, it'll certainly change to adopt other channels when they become larger in importance.
>>
How easy/hard would it be to make FRLG with
Physical special split
Fairy type
Mega evolutions
Moves up to gen 6
Abilities up to gen 6
?
>>
>>25668412
>Physical special split
Easy
>Fairy type
Easy
>Mega evolutions
Somewhat difficult
>Moves up to gen 6
Difficult
>Abilities up to gen 6
Very difficult
>?
>>
>>25668412
>first three
Already been done, you'd just have to port others' work to your own hack.

>Moves and abilities
Some have been done, others you'd have to do yourself, and the difficulty of those moves/abilities would depends on the moves/ability, though I'd assume all the simpler moves have been done lready.
>>
>>25668424
Well fug.
The main ones I'm interested in are Multiscale and Mega Launcher.

How would you feel about a hack that tries ti be a definitive FRLG, but has (a) fake mega(s)? Giovanni really should have a Mega Rhyperior, but there are zero good designs
>>
>>25664143
>>25664166
Neat
>>
>>25668453
>Multiscale and Mega Launcher.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7814321#post7814321

This base has both of those abilities.
>>
>>25669035
That seems like it has almost everything I need. Does Fire Red Evolution use this? Because it was very inconvenient to be unable to edit my saves in FR Evo.
>>
It's fun to look at all the early 2000s hacks you'll find in ROM sets.

>>25669388
Not sure, sorry.
>>
>>25668369
Yeah that's definitely better than the first version, it sounds good so far.

>>25668412
If you can compile and insert ASM routines most of the things you'll need are here:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=195

If not, this >>25669035 will work fine, just be aware that it's pretty buggy and hasn't been updated in a while.
>>
>>25663133
I love essentials especially the ones with wifi capabilities.
>>
l love you /heg/
>>
>>25669924
/heg/ DOORS you back
>>
>>25665850
Moemon
>>
>>25670062
How is that sexualized t b h
>>
>>25663159
>http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=365632
>Haven't grasped how to enable running shoes
It should be a flag that you set. I forget which one, but it should be somewhere in one of those old scripting tutorials.
>>
File: WELP.png (6 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
WELP.png
6 KB, 240x160
>>25663159
There's a reason vanilla Pallet Town doesn't have grass in it, senpai. So this shit doesn't happen.

Maybe remove the grass from the area and use a flag to make the Fishing Guru not give you an old rod until you get pokemon?
>>
>>25663070
It's odd, Snakewood is the first hack I've enjoyed. The others have beautiful worlds and vast regions, but they all take themselves far too seriously and are so poorly written that it's impossible to like them. Snakewood is silly and outside of the box, even if it's not particularly high quality.
>>
>>25664143
>>25664166
Looks gorgeous, I love R/S/E hacks, you really used the tileset well.
>>
File: maxie.jpg (16 KB, 354x355) Image search: [Google]
maxie.jpg
16 KB, 354x355
>>25669411
Glad to hear that. Finished version:
https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/vs-maxie-vs-archie-battle-theme-gbc-8-bit

Of course if there's criticism against it I can always edit, don't consider this a final version if improvements can be made.

Since I have a completed track now, might as well post the other two I finished from requests by anons. I posted these in other threads already but just in case the anons never saw it I'll post it one last time.
https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/littleroot-town-gbc-8-bit
https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/vs-hoenn-gym-leader-gbc-8-bit

Since I got all the requests thrown at me done (except Lysandre's battle theme but fuck XY battle themes they're too heavy on ambient noise and percussion for 8-bit), currently looking for requests. Is there anything anyone here would like to see done in the stylings of GSC?
>>
>>25670440
Finding hacks that can poke fun at themselves and aren't so serious seems to be difficult nowadays.
>>
>>25670334
I specifically warned people not to screw around in the grass or water until they got their starter. You want to go mucking about, you'll find this sort of shit. You lose that battle (and you will), you'll faint and (I believe) lose pokedollars, and if you save that's your own damn fault.
I'll look into flagging the fishing guru (hell, maybe I ought to just stick him on Route 1 by that pond and leave his house locked), but I think I'm going to edit the whole Pallet/Route 21 section to require cut to enter while leaving (level appropriate) similar pokemon.
I thank you for playing it though and bringing this up. It's still a very rough demo; I started on Cerulean today, gonna go up Route 23 and 24 and then fix up some things in the 0.1 demo before I get ahead of myself in Vermillion.
>>
>>25664143
Now that's a well designed town.
>>
>>25670942
Pretty sure if it's a FireRed hack you end up in the Pokémon Center, where Nurse Joy tries healing your Pokémon and the game gets caught in an infinite loop where an infinite number of Pokéballs start appearing on the screen since it doesn't know what to do when you heal without Pokémon.
>>
Can anyone recommend a Platinum based romhack other than Bloody/Bullshit?
>>
>>25671043
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307373
This one seems to be a Drayano-style hack instead of just a difficulty hack, haven't played it so I don't know if it's good, the author changing Empoleon to Water/Ice despite Water/Steel being a unique typing and there being 5+ Water/Ice lines concerns me about its quality, but it's worth a shot if you don't like the alternatives.
>>
>>25671134
>Empoleon to Water/Ice despite Water/Steel being a unique typing and there being 5+ Water/Ice lines concerns me about its quality,
why would you even do that fuck
>>
>>25670978
Nope, what happens is that you're warped to your mom's house. Your mom doesn't have an animation that she plays dependent on how many pokemon you have, which means that the game doesn't lock up. After all, the infinite pokeballs thing is an underflow glitch related to that animation, as Nurse Joy doesn't know how to put zero pokeballs into a machine that your mom doesn't have.

Luckily, since there's no way to get to a Pokecenter without battling mons, you don't get that kind of glitch, but the fact that there IS a way to battle mons before you get party members is still a problem.

There's also a lot of other problems relating to scripting and new maps that are probably related to the author using existing scripts rather than writing his own- for instance, Professor Oak coming out of nowhere and running through the scenery while you walk to the lab. Then again, this IS an early beta, so that kind of thing is forgiveable.
>>
File: fangame bingo.png (46 KB, 750x850) Image search: [Google]
fangame bingo.png
46 KB, 750x850
>>25667266
Bump, please react™
>>
>>25672480
Eight-gym Storyline may as well be in the free space too.
>>
File: my romhack neverever.png (65 KB, 750x850) Image search: [Google]
my romhack neverever.png
65 KB, 750x850
>>25672480
>>
Been playing this Crystal hack called Pokemon Pyrite. Fucking amazing is all I'll say.
>>
>>25672480
You should add "...with an abnormal hairstyle to stand out" to the self-inserts space.
>>
Is there a moemon Heart Gold yet?
>>
File: life of guardians bingo.png (44 KB, 750x850) Image search: [Google]
life of guardians bingo.png
44 KB, 750x850
>>25672480
Damnit, I'm so close to getting a Ruby Destiny one, could easily get several bingos by combining games but only sticking to one the closest I can get is LoG.
>>
File: crystalbeasts.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
crystalbeasts.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
Using a disassembled version of Pokemon Crystal
I'm trying to set it so that you've seen the three dogs in the Pokedex after finding them in the burned tower

all scripts I've used so far crash the game

any help?
>>
>>25672643
>changes to canon pokemon
Besides that mary sueslash, who did get changed?
>>
>>25672723
The Mary Sue Sandslash was Rescue Rangers. There's a postgame trainer with majorly buffed Pokémon, the only one I can remember off the top of my head on his team is Flareon. There's also a Rayquaza with a 1530 BST.
>>
File: 1454880726757.png (70 KB, 219x190) Image search: [Google]
1454880726757.png
70 KB, 219x190
>>25672480
>Changes to canon pokemon

Why is that a bad thing? Buffing shitmon really helps.
>>
>>25672610
Somebody on the PokeMMO forums was working on one, but it hasn't gotten an update since last October.
>>
>>25671288
That's because I'm having some slight troubles getting used to scripting. For Professor Oak, would I simply copy his existing script, edit is as needed, and insert new offsets? Or decompile and rewrite it as needed and then debug and compile?
>>
File: 1434575978456.png (90 KB, 224x183) Image search: [Google]
1434575978456.png
90 KB, 224x183
Is there any way to remove the truck intro in Emerald/change your starting location?
>>
File: 1458670124949.png (72 KB, 750x850) Image search: [Google]
1458670124949.png
72 KB, 750x850
>>25672480
Doing it for mine >>25663159
, starting to feel a little embarrassed but at least I have something to show for now.
>>
>>25672948
Only if undocumented and poorly done.
>>
>>25673671
How is your bias shown?
and can I have the demo?
>>
guys, any hackrom of gba with some from newer gens including gen VI? All I found were ones where they changed some mons with gen VI mons. Something like all the gen 3 pokédex + some new pokes, not all necessary

thanks my friendos
>>
>>25674181
Gaia. It has Pokémon from all Gens.
>>
How hard is it to get a grasp on essentials? What about adding new types (for a dumb project I'm working on)
>>
>>25674533
EZ
>>
>>25673720
Bias? I'm just circling everything in this bingo that I'm doing in my hack, cringe or no cringe. Demo is linked here >>25663159
Be warned it's pretty rough, just a showcase of what I'm doing and intend to do.
>>
>2016
>people still believe a phoenix rising demo is coming out
>people still believe there's anything substantial done on the game
>>
>>25674505
thanks anon
>>
What's the best or most well-know completed hack out there?
>>
>>25674926
The bias towards your favorite generation, you circled it.
>>
How the hell do I add a Rock Smash rock and a Cut tree properly?! They show up on Advanced map but not in the actual game play
>>
>>25676513
I'd say Quartz is the most well-known since it's 10 years old
Still golden though
>>
>>25678962
Which flags are you using?
In Firered you should only use flag 11-1F for Rock smash rocks/cut trees, which means you can place a total of 15 trees/rocks.
>>
>>25667313
I'm also interested in something similar.

What would it take to edit out levels? You cannot see levels, or see battle experience, but the stat boosts are still there.

For example, when you defeat 4 Zubats, Speed stat raises by 1 (EVs and IV are the same).

I'm thinking if about using this in Crystal (for that gen 2 nostalgia)
>>
I want to make my own Rom Hack of Fire Red my ideas are:

New map/ region
Physical/Special Split
Fairy type
Some Gen 4-6 Pokemon
Added Moves (like Scald)
Added Abilities (like Gale Wings)
Changes to Poke's stats and move sets

Is it possible if I currently have no idea how to start?
>>
>>25679033
MrDS' ROM base adds all of that except Pokemon
>>
>>25679043
Is that a Rom or a program? or?
>>
>>25679120
It's an .ips file
You need to use Lunar IPS or similiar program to patch that to a clean Firered US 1.0 ROM
>>
>>25679140
Oh, Okay. Thank you very much.
>>
>>25676671
I guess I thought that by hacking FR and only including up to Gen 3 that that was some sort of bias, as the first 3 are my favorites. Someone gave me shit one time for refusing to include the next three generations as well, telling me "good luck with your archaic fucking hack"
Kids these days I swear.
>>
>>25682336
Can't imagine how they'd react to Gameboy hacking here you're limited to less than 255 total Pokémon.
>>
>>25682336
Nah man, future Pokemon in old games ruin them for me. I can't use them because they're designed for post PSS and who knows what their stats are. Plus, perfectly good Pokemon usually have to be replaced to force them in, which is unacceptable. All in all, including later gen mons is a travesty, not for nostalgia's sake, but because of all the horrible problems it creates.
>>
>>25682616
Generally the type of hack that would add later Pokémon is the same that would add things like the split, unless it's intentionally done without it for nostalgia's sake (like Maize has the split and all but deliberately uses blocky 24x24 sprites for all later-Gen Pokémon). Gen 3 can add new Pokémon without removing old ones, and there's an in-progress attempt to do so with Gen 1.
https://hax.iimarck.us/topic/6738/
>>
File: fzdqWpI.png (325 KB, 382x417) Image search: [Google]
fzdqWpI.png
325 KB, 382x417
>>25663070
I have a 3DS that's still on firmware version 9.2.0-20U. I used to use it to generate pokemon on this site (using sylveon as an example): http://pokemonqrcode.com/generation-6/sylveon

It's been a long time since I've done this and I've heard it won't work anymore. Is that true? If so, is there anything I can do to help people with this 3DS on this firmware version?
>>
>>25682616
I use MrDollSteak's base which adds the p/s split, updated moves through G5 and fairy type. I initially considered not doing this but fairy typing really jives with my plans for Mt. Moon.
>>
File: HelpPlease.png (191 KB, 1366x728) Image search: [Google]
HelpPlease.png
191 KB, 1366x728
How do I fix this so I can see the moves and what not?
>>
>>25685177
Oh i applied MrDollSteak's base V1.5 just so you all know. I honestly dont really know what im doing so help would be very nice
>>
Anyone have details on cuck emerald?
>>
>>25684025
Don't know if that still works, but these days you can use homebrew or custom firmware to dump, edit and inject your entire save file.

>>25685177
Looks like you need to replace the G3HS .ini file with the one that should have come with Mr. DS's rom base.
>>
>>25685406
how exactly would i do that? sorry im new to this..
>>
File: 1450781329554.jpg (38 KB, 450x337) Image search: [Google]
1450781329554.jpg
38 KB, 450x337
>>25685406
I have the same question as >>25685582. The last time I looked up how to do that, there were two major problems. 1: Everyone was saying that the old methods no longer worked because Nintendo put out an unprecedented update that patched many different exploits that people thought would work forever. 2: At that time, all of the guides were written before that patch, and recent comments (like on youtube videos) were claiming that videos, pastebin guides, etc. no longer worked. The good news is that it's been several weeks, or maybe even more than a month since then, so maybe there are new guides out there. Do you know of any working, up-to-date guides that allow you to easily generate or edit pokemon for other people?
>>
Is there a decent hack that follows the Pokémon Special manga?
>>
File: lance strongsad.png (176 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
lance strongsad.png
176 KB, 512x384
Is it possible to modify an existing xdelta patch file for a romhack? To tweak specific things.
>>
File: ini.png (62 KB, 607x297) Image search: [Google]
ini.png
62 KB, 607x297
>>25685582
See pic related, just replace this file with the one in MrDS ROM Base/G3HS ini folder. It might prompt you to fix a malformed ini or something, just let it do it and it should work.

>>25685719
Should be an up-to-date guide on setting up homebrew/CFW here:
>>>/vg/hbg

Once you've at least got homebrew on your 3DS install one of the save managers, dump your save to your SD card, put that in your PC and edit it with PKHex. Then you replace your old save with the edited one.
>>
>>25685869
The easiest way to do that would be to make a new xdelta patch that contains the hack and your tweaks.

>>25685747
>decent
Don't know about that but there's this:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=298920
>>
>>25686089
>The easiest way to do that would be to make a new xdelta patch that contains the hack and your tweaks.
I tried that but maybe I'm going about it the wrong way. I made a slight edit like a starter change then generated a patch then tried applying that to a the already patched romhack. Unsurprisingly the rom wouldn't run.
>>
>>25686145
Does the ROM with the changed starter run without being made into a patch? If not, the edits are the problem; if it does work you could try making a patch for a clean ROM instead.
>>
>>25686231
Yeah it's just platinum used with the randomizer program. I wish the randomizer and other editors could work with romhacks.
>>
>>25685963
Thanks!
>>
>>25686249
If you don't mind unpacking the ROM first you can use the dpp starter editor tool to edit Platinum's starters. It's a pity the randomizer guy hard coded everything instead of reading it from the games files.
>>
>>25686402
>If you don't mind unpacking
How do I do this?
>>
>>25686489
There a few tools that can do it; nitro explorer is probably the best if all you want to do is change the starters, but if you want to change anything else I'd suggest SDSME: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=288625
Just don't use its wild Pokemon editor, it doesn't work properly for Platinum.
>>
>>25686572
Thanks. I was trying to figure out what narc file I needed to look at to edit starters.
>>
File: shock08.jpg (37 KB, 330x250) Image search: [Google]
shock08.jpg
37 KB, 330x250
Always been a fan of pokemon yellow on Gameboy advanced. The rest of the games are ok...buuut what i dont understand is :

Why they dont keep all the pokemon from all the games in the lastest games?
>>
>>25686608
I couldn't find the narc with the starters, or even any tools that can directly edit the narc thought there was one, sorry about that. However, you can edit the starters using a hex editor by searching the entire ROM for these hex values:

83 01 00 00 86 01 00 00 89 01 00 00 20

Then use this list http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_index_number_(Generation_IV) to change them to whatever starters you want.
>>
>>25687166
Oh sweet thanks. I was looking at the scripts for the starter event and I can see where it denotes which pokemon is which but fuck if I know what to edit to make the change.
>>
>>25672480
>Non-Pokémon VGM
>OCs are sprite edits
These aren't inherently bad on their own

>Evil team is called Team _____
>Eight Gym storyline
These are straight-up cheating
>>
>>25687247
No problem, I couldn't find the species values in that script either. It looks like the starter list is built into its own function so I'd assume they're in one of the overlay files.
>>
>>25687399
Editing the hex changed the pokemon you get but didn't change the name or the sprite shown when you're choosing. Too tired to learn how to edit it fully right now. Thanks again.
>>
>>25687394
Not everything on there is bad, anon. Some of the stuff is just really common.
>>
File: file.png (153 KB, 1148x468) Image search: [Google]
file.png
153 KB, 1148x468
Alright, date-spot is coming along. I am trying very hard to not make things too busy visually while still replicating natural tree placement and rock formations... I think the transition between tree types will look okay.
>>
>>25688390
>"natural" looking rock and grass
This is not a good thing familia. Wonder why Game Freak gives you big patches of grass? They serve as obstacles and double as places to grind.

I absolutely hate when any hack game does shit like this.
>>
>>25690672
Valid. I'll switch up the tall grass, that's a good point.
>>
File: dejame entrar soy hada.png (366 KB, 599x495) Image search: [Google]
dejame entrar soy hada.png
366 KB, 599x495
Not a developer or anything, only really ignorant about hacks.
Are there any FRLG hacks or patchs that only add fairy type, physical/special split, or trade evolution without trading?
>>
>>25663165
I hate essentials games. Because all of the adding Pokemon stuff is done for them, they have time to focus on the 'quality' of their writing. Which is always fucking awful
>>
>>25688390
>That Heart Stone and Puddle reflection in the center

Nice.
>>
>>25690893
Excepting the fairy type yes, just put the rom into the randomizer and don't randomize anything, simply switch on the split and evolution options.
>>
File: gay shit.png (8 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
gay shit.png
8 KB, 320x287
So would it make me scum to take Eccentric Emerald and add stuff to it and post it? Obviously I would credit the creator, but I find it very convenient for a noobie like me to already have the split and day/night cycles.

On a different note, is there any way of fixing the stupid border block shit in Pokemon Silver? I'm trying to do a complete remap.
>>
>>25691799
How does that excuse ROM hacks of having terrible writing?

Look me in the eye and tell me that the Ruby Destiny series is excused of the terrible writing because of the content in the hacks. There's just as many shitty ROM hacks as shitty Essentials games, if not more.
>>
File: file.png (180 KB, 1127x523) Image search: [Google]
file.png
180 KB, 1127x523
>>25690672
>>25690708
Is that starting to look better? I don't know if I like the grass or the flowers for the heart rock area better, but rest assured, the coming hilly area will have plenty of tall grass.
>>
>>25693231
It looks good anon, but i would fill out the grass on the right a little more. Also, what about making the lake accessable as a sort of shortcut or secret area?
>>
>>25693289
It is accessible from the town posted here: >>25664143
>>
>>25693377
ah nice.
>>
A desperate hope:
I've looked high, I've looked low, and I haven't found a script or tutorial that will make a trainer disappear after battle.
I've tried to do it myself countless times. If I speak to the trainer, the battle commences and afterwards there is a long pause before disappearing. If I set the trainer as active, they will exclaim, move, and redscreen.
I'm using free flags, setting unknowns to 03, etc. What the hell am I doing wrong?
Here's the script template: 0x000 is a placeholder for trainer ID. I've tried 0x0, 0x1, and 0x3 after the trainer ID.

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
trainerbattle 0x0 0x000 0x1 @before @after
fadescreen 0x1
hidesprite 0x6
fadescreen 0x0
setflag 0x203
release
end
#org @before

#org @after
>>
>>25693051
If you're using EE as a base, simply state as such.
>>
RIP Pokémon Script Project
>>
>>25695735
The deal with marking an OW as trainer is that the first command in the script HAS to be trainerbattle 0x0 or else the game will crash.
You can only do this with trainerbattle 0x1 and 0x3.
Alternatively you could try tainerbattle 0x2, but I'm not entirely sure if it jumps to it's pointer before or after the battle. This command is used in Lt. Surge's gym as an example.
You could test it and see for yourself.
>>
>>25664143

That town looks really comfy. It's not too congested or over designed. Like the kind of place I'd go just to hang. Cool beans, OP.
>>
in case anyone is interested I'd offer my capabilities as a flavor-text writer
>>
>>25697694
By 'flavor-text' do you mean misc. dialogue, or..?
>>
>>25698263
pretty much everything that is written down, like item descriptions, dex entries for fakemons, trainer introduction (shorts are comfy to wear) and defeat, signs, newspaper article cut-outs, TV-shows, science gizmos, bookshelves
all which gives a world life

dialogue...
pokemon doesn't have dialogue
random villager speech is easy

I can do plot relevant dialogues and monologues as well, but I'll not write a story for you.
I want something where I can quit whenever without people feeling let down.
>>
>>25698427
I'd need some of that, but I haven't even started on my game first since I'm working on the base of it
>>
>>25698459
who are you then, anon?
>>
>>25693051
I asked someone about it, and apparently it's all here:

https://github.com/pret/pokecrystal/blob/master/macros/map.asm#L86-L155

Look for this in the map header data and edit it, apparently it's not in any of the map editors and you have to manually edit it via hex. This is why the disassembly is so great, you just need to edit a couple easy-to-find values in a file directly regarding maps instead of digging through the ROM editing hex values.
>>
>>25698853
Why does it matter?
>>
>>25698930
just to know who I should be looking out for in the future
>>
File: 1422484434842.jpg (64 KB, 500x680) Image search: [Google]
1422484434842.jpg
64 KB, 500x680
>try to look through Black 2's ripped MIDI files for a specific song
>DP and BW each have the music semi-organized (towns by towns, routes by routes, battle themes by battle themes, etc.)
>BW2's music is who the fuck knows

They didn't add it into the same organization categories set up by the other games, and they didn't just stick them in one block after the BW music, I can't for the life of me find the song I want. Why would you leave your game disorganized in such a way when it was organized fine in the past?
>>
First episode of Pokecommunity's Rom hack podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSKf4Nul-zk
>>
I have a slight problem.
I'm expanding the Scorched Slab in Emerald to be a full-fledged dungeon like it was in ORAS. I've got the extra floors added and connected no problem, but I can't run or use the bike, and I can't find any options in Advance Map pertaining to those things.
Help?
>>
>>25692954
This one?
>http://pokehacks.dabomstew.com/randomizer/
>>
>>25699869
hard reboot

copy a bike-usable map and paste the layout of your new one over it, relink all connections, and do all map properties new manually
then it should work
yet this is only a band-aid to get rid of a symptom, not a cure
>>
>>25699925
Actually, I figured it out. All I had to do was changed the display-name-on-entry header from no name to cave-style name. I guess if there's no name display the game assumes you've gone into a building.
>>
>>25699603
Holy shit, one of those guys has the most stereotypical nerd voice of all time.
>>
>>25696206
Okay, so I did this
#dynamic 0x805D13

#org @start
trainerbattle 0x0 0x009 0x1 @before @after
waitkeypress
fadescreen 0x1
hidesprite 0x5
fadescreen 0x0
setflag 0x205
release
end
#org @before
= I'm a test!
#org @after
= Did I work?

...and it works. Kind of. I have to talk to the sprite, exit and re-enter the map for it to work.
I appreciate the help though, anon. This has gotten me further than anything else so far...
>>
>>25693074
It's not the Ruby Destiny series is shithouse.

At least with a ROMhack, they might not attempt to make some grand story. Just a simple pokemon formula. All you need
>>
>>25701612
It's hard to find ROMhacks with good simple pokemon formulas.
>>
File: Pallet Fixes.jpg (112 KB, 384x480) Image search: [Google]
Pallet Fixes.jpg
112 KB, 384x480
>>25664143
>>25693231
This is fantastic, anon. Well done.
>>25699603
It could use some better editing and direction
>>25670221
Yeah, I'm trying to overhaul some of my scripting before moving forward, as I realized I need to have a handle on certain scripting before I can go on.
>>25670334
Fixed with pic related. Working on a total overhaul. I know dropping a demo this early is kind of retarded but I wanted to get it out of my system and get some constructive criticism before I rush another half baked shit hack like Alpha Fire Red. Moved the Fishing Guru to the pond on Route 1. This way I can have my grass in Pallet town and fishing rod early without a glaring problem.
>>
>>25701985
Shit, I mean to save the event picture. There's a cut tree between those trees in the bottom right.
>>
File: hm...png (14 KB, 240x631) Image search: [Google]
hm...png
14 KB, 240x631
>>25693074
The content of the Ruby Destiny games is worse than the writing of said games. The writing is bad in an entertaining way, the gameplay is only enjoyable in the sense that I enjoy pointing out how awful it is in great detail sometimes.
>>
File: 1439484484671.jpg (518 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1439484484671.jpg
518 KB, 768x1024
>>25667366
anybody?
>>
Yikes, that inactivity. Let's get this general more active. What are you working on, /heg/?
>>
>>25701780
It really is. Red++, despite being the same story as Red has a lot of added content - including dialogue - that feels in no way out of place.

It's practically a perfect ROMhack
>>
>>25706178
Haven't accomplished anything since the last time I posted about my hack. I want to stab to death whomever inserted the audio tracks to Black 2, I have searched up and down every single track up to the cries and can't find the MIDI I want, which means either the song doesn't use MIDI (which would be weird) or it's mixed in with the ~650 Pokémon cries.
>>
File: dyn.gif (419 KB, 251x176) Image search: [Google]
dyn.gif
419 KB, 251x176
>>25706178
>>
>>25706178
A complete voicetable for FR
I know there exists one, but that one doesn't even use the Instrument samples in FR, as it was made for Fire Emblem.
Most of the samples in it also has a lot of white noise in them.

I'm going to use samples from FR, EM, Drill dozer, and a few other GBA games because the Pokemon games obviously doesn't have all instruments in them.
>>
>>25706178
I'm working on a Platinum difficulty hack. Just figured out how to prevent healing items from being used in battle, which I'm fairly certain hasn't been done in gen 4 before. Only issue so far is that I haven't been able to find where the overworld item ball scripts are (they aren't in with all the other scripts for some reason), so I'm limited to relocating existing items. Does anyone happen to know which narc I should look at?
>>
>>25668412
Apply MrDollSteak's Base, configure, and then do whatever they have figured out with the mega evolution thing after that.

Done. Well, after adding in all the mega sprites and whatnot I guess.
>>
>>25702660
I remember reading these lines in a porn fic once.

Also, Ruby Destiny had the misfortune of making NOT Chrono Cross with less philosophy shitting as the last installment.
>>
>>25672480
The hilarious part is when Game Freak could circle a few.
>>
>>25706178
A self indulgent mess of a simple hack that brings nothing new to the table and might have been noteworthy if it had been released two or three years ago.
>>
File: Gamefreak Bingo.png (40 KB, 750x850) Image search: [Google]
Gamefreak Bingo.png
40 KB, 750x850
>>25708773
I tried
>>
>>25706178
clover
>>
>>25709419
You forgot to circle:
Self-inserts
The evil team is called Team ___
Major glitches (XY, saving in Lumiose pre-patch)
More than 2 rivals (XY)
Demo(s) released (ORAS)
Grammar mistakes (There are a few in some games)
>>
File: file.png (77 KB, 750x850) Image search: [Google]
file.png
77 KB, 750x850
I circled a few that I expect people will think (namely involving NPC's), but that I hope don't happen.
>>
>>25709419
They've released demos before.
>>
>>25710109
>>25709419
>real Pokemon got bingo
All is lost.
>>
Hey crystalfag, I take it you're around somewhere. Do you do pokecrystal on Linux? If so, do you play it from Linux to playtest? Just curious. I was thinking of getting a partition to use Linux on and give Pokecrystal a try.
>>
Wondering how difficult it would be to implement a Day Care that hosts more than 2 pokes?

Obviously the breeding capabilities would not need to be there. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this would be helpful.
>>
>>25711152
what system, negro
>>
>>25709419
would the Eon Flute count as items replacing HMs?
>>
>>25711433
not really, I think it adds a lot of exploration over "just replacing Fly"
>>
>>25711433
Nah, Fly was still in the game
>>
>>25711433
you can count lemonade, poke flute, silph co., SquirtBottle, Wailmer Pail, strange potion, etc. as key items replacing HMs like Cut or Rock Smash
>>
>>25710306
>fakemon
>starters only
For what purpose?
Also, not all of these are bad.
>>
File: BASED DRAWFRIEND.png (178 KB, 544x776) Image search: [Google]
BASED DRAWFRIEND.png
178 KB, 544x776
>>25711915
You're beta testing a new Porygon created to be a starter, which comes in the traditional three flavors.

Here, have some artwork a drawfriend made for me based on my MS Paint drawings.
>>
>>25711915
>having a trailer
unredeemable
>>
File: PorygonTri.png (21 KB, 456x343) Image search: [Google]
PorygonTri.png
21 KB, 456x343
>>25711956
This was my original pic.
>>
>>25711971
>>25711956
went from bad to slightly less bad
>>
>>25712013
Can a Pokémon game's plot get dark without being considered "edgy"? Where's the line for you, /heg/?
>>
>>25712077
Didn't mean to quote.
>>
>>25712077
No. Never do anything dark enough that it would never be on the main games. Everything related to death and such should be mysterious (the 3 Pokémon that died in the Burnt Tower and Ho-Oh revived for instance).
>>
>>25712077
sure, you can dell a dark story in the pokemon universe, but then you'd take everything that makes the games what they are out of it
It could work with a more fixed team of pokemon the protagonist has an actual bond to.
but the call to adventure as pokemon does in almost all games won't allow that
the somewhat closest were the gamecube games

but if you go so far you may want to think about making your own game, not a hack
>>
File: cq2.png (47 KB, 128x256) Image search: [Google]
cq2.png
47 KB, 128x256
After I stopped a project I spent a long time with because it just did to little to alter the GF titles, I am now planing to completely disregard any assets used by Gamefreak. My game will blow your mind if it's ever shipped.

But for now, feel free to do whatever you want with my first babysteps at understanding spritesheets. It's a walking manatee (:3))
>>
>>25712109
Yeah this. The main games never go "yeah those pokemon died burnt alive then ho-oh, children of arceus revived them, like they can revive your dead friend. this is your quest now."

so NO. never go edgy. It has NEVER been done well.
>>
>>25712077
yes it can. Just be consistent in tone and don't jump in and out of dark atmosphere constantly. Don't overthink it either. The normal fan doesn't care or know about cringe or edge. Just do your thing and if you're not a 12 year old, it will be alright at least.
>>
>>25712077
take a step back and ask yourself "do I only put this in because it's cool" and if the answer is yes, don't do it

>>25711971
are those castforms?
>>
>>25712077
Dark without edgy is dependent on subtlety and/or good writing, not just the actions that are going on in the story.
For example, humans killing Pokémon. Team Rocket killing the Marowak in Gen I is dark but not edgy. The event happens of screen and is described to the player, and it is consistent with Team Rocket's characterization up to that point, which is thugs who abuse Pokémon for profit. Its a natural progression from the player's perspective to see them as more heinous villains without extreme measures that seem out of place in the setting or strain the player's engagement in the story.
>>
bump. Im not letting heg die again
>>
File: continued slaughter.png (94 KB, 206x225) Image search: [Google]
continued slaughter.png
94 KB, 206x225
>>25706178
>tfw idea guy
>want to fix or change so many fundamentals of Pokémon that if I ever did anything it'd have to be in GameMaker or some shit
>>
>>25713021
so, how would you do a legally save knock off from Pokemon without making it obvious or shit?
>>
>>25712077
it's a fine line to straddle but if you think you can do it, go for it! But also remember what the main jist of the pokemon games are; tweens with colorful monsters fighting each other. It just doesn't seem to fit the characters that well, in my opinion.

The problem I would have a dark/edgy pokemon game is the same problem i have with the sonic games. It has serious tones and a somewhat dark plot but then there's this big dumb blue anthropomorphic hedgehog talking about goin' fast and chilly dogs.
>>
File: silph.jpg (77 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
silph.jpg
77 KB, 600x600
>>25713038
Well, I would just make a Pokémon fan game first. It would save a shitload of time and effort over creating original designs and assets when I'm really just experimenting with gameplay, and if I chose to release it (for free, of course) there's already an established market/playerbase of millions of people that it would have a familiar appeal to, making it much easier to attract enough players to get meaningful feedback from.

Aside from that, Pokémon did not invent and does not have a monopoly on the "Mon" genre. There are dozens of variants on the basic concept in both tone and complexity, from the original MegaTen to the Chao Garden in Sonic Adventure.
So long as the setting, assets, and gameplay elements are original, I seriously doubt anyone would run a serious risk of legal trouble.
>>
>>25711011
I use Windows and cygwin, which emulates Linux commands on Windows.

>>25708748
I guess I should play Chrono Cross to see how much Jagold rips it off then, I know one of the route themes in that game was taken from it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEsIo9KObmo
>>
el bumpo
>>
File: overdriven guitar.jpg (38 KB, 800x278) Image search: [Google]
overdriven guitar.jpg
38 KB, 800x278
>>25708342
FR Actually has a lot of instruments in it, with a total of 36
Some notable ones being Overdriven guitar and Pizzicato strings
I really haven't noticed them in any of the songs
>>
File: gen 3 trumpet meme.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
gen 3 trumpet meme.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>>25715117
A few things it didn't have is Orchestra hit, Church organ and Trombone (surprisingly, because it has almost all other brass instruments)
I did get these three samples in right now however, from Gamefreak's not-so-well-known gem, Drill dozer.
>>
Does anybody know how to extract the maps from the 3DS games to open in Blender? There are only a couple in modelersresource, like the ORAS truck and the rival's room cutscenes. Id like to see the whole maps. I know someone posted screenshots of those before!
>>
>>25711246
On FireRed, I'm assuming I'd need some assembly skills
>>
>>25712077
Star Trek can get dark without edgy. Granted, it's usually in war and death is shown on screen, which is something I don't believe should ever be explicitly shown in a Pokémon game. Yet ST retains an exuberant innocence and comfiness to it, much like Pokémon.
See, I'd openly speak of the Great Pokémon War, but I'd never show it in any form. I'd make Team Fuckwad SEEM like they were capable of killing people and Pokémon, but never actually show them doing it. It's an adventure, a dream, a vision of an ideal world of god-like pet/friends and nice people with a few declawed jerks. To me, 'dark' has no real place in pokemon, the darkest it can get is allusions to a violent past; the Pokémon world is a world enlightened.
>>
>>25667313
Please I want to know too T_T
I want to make it so you can see IVs and EVs.
>>
>>25701985
The hill doesn't make sense. There's no gradient at the back so the path looks flat, like one of those paintings that's shaded weird to fuck with your perspective.
>>
>>25715948
Well, there are 2 daycares in Firered which means you can hold 3 Pokemon, so I guess you could merge the two to into one house and script some stuff to make it look seamless.

This is the non-ASM way, it probably is possible with ASM, especially if you clear out some RAM by removing the "Previously on your quest" system, explained here.
If you can't into Assembly, then you can also use the RAM used in that system for thousands of flags and variables for scripts and such

Link:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8795370&postcount=4
>>
>>25668369
Will this work with MV
>>
>>25715278
It had church organ. Rayquaza cutscene demonstrates it
>>
File: 1452491568710.jpg (16 KB, 348x342) Image search: [Google]
1452491568710.jpg
16 KB, 348x342
>>25719174
MV?
>>
>>25719232
The latest version of RPG maker.
>>
>>25684025
You can generate with homebrew, look up pkhex or something.
>>
>>25719241
I don't use RPGMaker but doesn't it just use .mp3 or .wav files or somesuch? I assume you could use that song with it, and I give you permission if you're making an RPGMaker game and want to use it, just give credit. Unless you quoted the wrong person.
>>
>>25719292
I was asking in general and forgot to remove the quotes.
>>
>>25719299
>asking in general

That confuses me, does what in general work with RPGMaker?
>>
>>25719306
essentials.
>>
>>25719309
Oh, well in that case I don't know.
>>
>>25719309
No. It only works in RPG Maker XP. It's very unlikely there would be an effort to port it to VX Ace as is, and it would be more difficult to port to MV.
>>
File: Pallet Redo 2a.jpg (111 KB, 384x480) Image search: [Google]
Pallet Redo 2a.jpg
111 KB, 384x480
>>25718969
I completely phased out the hill, always did look weird but I was rushing even when I was trying to take my time.
>>
>>25719228
RSE Might've had it, but FR didn't.
>>
>>25719432
I don't dislike but what's the point of adding two houses if you can't even enter them?
>>
>>25719561
Illusion of prosperity
>>
>>25719432
the scrambled grasstiles are very un-pokemon-y and were only use in few maps, everytime i see them it makes me frown for some reason, but maybe I'm just a genwunner
>>
>>25719597
I just think it makes more sense in a large city. In such a small environment every house should be accessible imo
>>
>>25719617
I agree
>>
>>25663133
How about a region that focuses on the Pokeathlon?

>Small region with 5/6 towns
>Each town specialises in one Pokeathlon category
>Lots of wild areas to catch pokemon (about 300 from Gen 1-4, so no new overworld sprites to make)
>Apricorn orchards scattered everywhere
>Apricorn Juice vendors everywhere
>Pokeathlon trainers encountered in the overworld, and you form rivalries
>>
>>25712077
Yes, certainly. You can easily spin a scientist's viewpoint of the Pokemon world this way for example.

It's just that most of the hackers' exposure to dark is edgy.
>>
File: R1 Redoa.jpg (169 KB, 384x640) Image search: [Google]
R1 Redoa.jpg
169 KB, 384x640
>>25719561
Adds a sort of depth, I thought. Where do those guys in Oak's Lab live? We know he trains foreign scientists such as Elm and Birch, so where do they stay while acquiring their credentials? And what of interest would there be in a guest lodge with a couple of bunk beds, a TV, some books and a toilet?
The other one, well why the hell would you even need to enter the Fishing Guru's house if he's not there? Seems pointless to be honest, family.
>>25719617
See, I don't get that. Why can some kid just barge in and watch your TV, talk to everyone, and walk out never to see you again? It's always irked me in games. It makes no real sense. I suppose I could script a message on the door to say it's locked.
>>25719609
I get this from all angles. Some veteran hackers say block grass is unnatural, but the more I look at scrambled grass the more it looks out of place. I redrafted multiple maps yesterday and came out of it thinking block grass simply looks more crisp; an occasional bare patch is fine, a scramble in a forest might make sense, but by and large I'm thinking you might be right.
So I started changing the routes to be more in the spirit of the main series with pic related, also making the roads 3 tile instead of 2. I feel like I'm making real progress with mapping now.
>>
>>25719976
You shouldn't be able to go all the way through without at least one mandatory grass patch, since Oak stops you specifically because the route is dangerous due to the wild Pokémon.
>>
>>25719976
>pic
not quite digging it.
you can go through from both sides without even the chance of an encounter

the grass-patches are too small as well, or rather, interrupted by cliff

the puddle looks out of place as well, maybe cut of an unaccessible part for a later game secret?

>I feel like I'm making real progress with mapping now.
take the route one from pokemon red and blue and analyze how many patches of grass are mandatory
then compare it to the route one of later games
analyze what has been done and try to understand why they made the decisions they made
share results
>>
File: R1 Vanillaa.jpg (157 KB, 384x640) Image search: [Google]
R1 Vanillaa.jpg
157 KB, 384x640
>>25719976
And furthermore, pic related doesn't make any sense to me. Is the repel industry strangling the transportation industry? Because the purpose of a road is to make a safe, reliable, linear route from A to B, not a winding, ambling path that starts and stops between places with trees in the middle of it randomly! Call me an autist, but in a post-war nation such as I'm writing Kanto, infrastructure support, maintenance and expansion is a big deal-see the railroads of post-Civil War America, and the highways of post-WW2 America.
And let's not forget the ledges while we're at it. That's always bugged the hell out of me.
>>
>>25720044
You have to consider the differences between maps that are good lorewise and maps that are good gameplaywise.
>>
>>25720011
Oak is stopping a kid from venturing into the wide and dangerous world without a Pokémon, I think. Not from wandering into tall grass to be attacked by birds and rats. You mean to tell me these kids spent their lives never exploring Route 1?
>>25720037
I'm not trying to be contrarian here, really. But as I elaborated in >>25720044, roads are important for facilitating trade and diplomacy. Sure, you could play my hack without ever stepping into a patch of grass-but tell me how well that will do you. How many Pokémon you won't catch. Why should grass be mandatory anyways?
So considering these posts, I believe I need to change Oak's dialogue. Instead of screaming TALL GRASS! he would tell the player "hey! it's your special day! come pick out a pokemon!" or something like that. It would make more sense than him telling you not to go into the tall grass that's obviously not immediately threatening.
As for the pond? It's a pond. It adds variety to the map. Maybe a little rough for now, but I like it.
Now, looking at R1 I see that it's got a broken road, ledges that indicate a gradual decline towards the coast, tree and ledge barriers making encountering Pokémon mandatory and a one-way shortcut by jumping down them. In the context of a Pokémon game, it makes sense-however, I want the player to experience a different take on Pokémon, where the monsters have been known to be used to their disastrous potential, where there is an established order of law, hierarchy, etc. Demystifying it, yes, but also making it a little meatier.
>>
>>25720181
>Why should grass be mandatory anyways?

Because what's an RPG without random encounters?
>>
>>25720170
Ah, I had not considered that. Talk about carts and horses. I will take all of this and much more advice into account; I've gone back to the drawing board, as what I've exhibited in my demo and what I've learned as I made it and after I got feedback on it don't line up.
>>
freer
>>
DOORS
>>
live on
>>
File: weeb on casual patrol.png (52 KB, 1267x609) Image search: [Google]
weeb on casual patrol.png
52 KB, 1267x609
Kek
Which one of you posted this?
>>
bumperooni
>>
File: 1895.jpg (44 KB, 500x428) Image search: [Google]
1895.jpg
44 KB, 500x428
any suggestions on programs to use to edit sprites?
>>
File: Pokemon Calamitas Dex.png (24 KB, 1611x976) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon Calamitas Dex.png
24 KB, 1611x976
>>25663070
is gen 4-5 hacking still as hard as it used to be? Im sick and tired of the 64x64 sprite limitations. i need that. hell, i could accept just wandering around unova with my own fakemon.
>>
>>25727888
or would it simply be better to straight up use rpgmaker and essentials to do that?
>>
>>25728040
Up to you, anon. As far as I know, there isn't any decent map editing for gens 4 and 5. At least nothing worthwhile.

A lot of people on /heg/ give Essentials shit, but there's plenty of people who are fine with Essentials games. They aren't as vocal about it because they have better things to do than argue with those who don't like it.

It definitely has pros and cons, though. If you want perfect emulation, go and hack. If you don't mind non-perfect emulation and want to just dive into making a game, go with Essentials.
>>
>>25728230
thank you anon. Do you know where i could find YAPE like programs for gen 4/5?
>>
>>25727888
Well we're starting to see multiple people attempting to edit maps. Both projects are still relatively small, but progress has been made if people are willing to actually attempt it after DP has been out for nearly ten years.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=305765
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=363495
>>
>>25727888
Map editing has been a thing for quite some time now (see SDSME) and someone has managed to expand the pokedex in HGSS:
https://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?48321-HGSS-ASM-Repointing-the-Pok%E9dex-table-in-RAM
The only things missing are new moves and megas.
>>
File: echidna1.gif (13 KB, 171x172) Image search: [Google]
echidna1.gif
13 KB, 171x172
>>
Can someone get me a pokemon red rom please For some reason my laptop wont let me access the sites
>>
>>25729711
If you can't access emuparadise I don't know why you'd be able to access mediafire or mega.nz.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.