[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
'Simplified' 'Streamlined' 'User Friendly'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: image.png (511 KB, 1024x1718) Image search: [Google]
image.png
511 KB, 1024x1718
The fans have been complaining, so Game Freak has decided to revamp the Pokemon franchise. They have separate teams in charge of taking care of the moves, abilities, and various other mechanics. All that's left up to you, is to come up with a new type chart. GF has a couple of requirements and suggestions, but other than that they are leaving it in your hands.

Requirements:
>Exactly 10 types
>One type MUST be 'Normal'
>immunities will no longer be handled by types, and now fall solely onto abilities
>must be backwards compatible, with all existing Pokemon being retuned to fit into the new categories
>the existing starters must still retain their weakness/resistance type match ups after the change

Suggestions:
>it is suggested, but not required, to have then 9 non-normal types fit into 3 separate 'elemental triangles' like the starters
>balancing types to all have the same number of weaknesses and resistances to each other will help prevent Pokemon from being defensively unsuitable, but is not a requirement

What changes do you make, and why?
>>
Normal, Fire, Water, Electric, Grass, Rock, Psychic, Ice, Dark, Fairy I guess since I had an extra.

Fighting and Normal, Grass and Bug and Poison, Rock and Ground and Steel, Dark and Ghost.

I didn't do any balancing or anything.
>>
>>24826847
Shit, this is actually harder than I thought it would be. I think a series of 3 elemental triangles would be best, with all 3 meeting in the middle.

Core trio
Fire > Grass > Water > Fire

Legendary Trio (doesn't make perfect sense, makes it so the gen 1 and gen 2 trios are actually starter-balanced, as are the Gen 5 box legendaries)
Fire > Ice > Electric > Fire

>Gen 3 Box Trio
Water > Ground > Dragon > Water
This is where shit hit the fan and I just started cramming in whatever types are left.

>Circle of life trio
Grass > Flying > Bug > Grass
Flying and grass are the opposite of what they are now. I feel that this should still work fine, and won't actually break anything too much.

Normal has no weakness and no resistance.

Psychics, Fighting, Rock, Steel, Dark, Fairy, Ghost, and Poison are all missing from the list.

I really do not think it is possible to condense the types down into 10 total types, and still have it be backwards compatible.
>>
>>24826918
>No Dragon
>No Flying
Other than that, I agree mostly. And honestly could possibly merge Dragon + Flying + Fairy into a single type.
>>
>>24827010
But what logical name does that go under?
I think you could combine fairy, dragon, and ghost into a Paranormal type if you wanted something logical.
>>
>>24826847
Normal
Fire
Water (+Ice)
Grass (+Bug)
Electric
Wind (Flying)
Earth (Ground, Rock, Steel)
Magic (Psychic + Fairy)
Light (etc)
Dark (+Ghost)

Fighting gets split up between Light and Normal, light takes on most of the moves based on actual photons like solar beam, moonlight, etc and everything else will go to Magic (e.g. Psychic moves based on telekinesis, telepathy, teleportation, etc)

Likewise, Dark now represents the typical RPG affinity for shadow magic and what have you. Since most of the dark moves are underhanded they conceptually fit with the "strike from the shadows" archetype

Unfortunately had to drop Dragon entirely, they'd be grouped according to their individual characteristics. I cannot think of any that could not feasibly fit into one of the newer types (e.g. Druddigon, a gargoyle, becomes Earth, Goomy becomes Water, etc)

Fire > Grass > Water > Fire
Wind > Earth > Electric > Wind
Light > Dark > Magic > Light
>>
>>24826847
Normal

Elemental types
>Fire
>Ground
>Ice

Class types
>Fighting (warrior)
>Dark (theif)
>Psychic (mage)

Standalone types
>Steel
>Poison
>Flying
>>
>>24826847
Middle, second from bottom, rock beats psychic?
>>
I'd rather have two categories of Types: one that defines the Pokémon physicality (like Flesh/Normal, Mechanical, Ghost, Earth/Nature.....) and the other its elemental affinity (like Normal, Fire, Grass, etc). And then you work the advantages from that.

Vulpix would be Normal/Fire. Jolteon would also be Normal (but Normal/Electric) and, say, Camerupt would also be Fire (but Earth/Fire).

Magneton would be Mech/Electric - Beldum is a Mech/Magic, and something like a Zapdos would be a Bird/Electric.

Gastly would be Incorporeal/Poison where Spiritomb would be Incorporeal/Magic.
Ghost would lost a lot of its members actually, because not every Ghost Pokémon would be Incorporeal (Honedge is Mechanical, Trevenant is Nature

You get the drill. Feel free to extend on that general idea if you like <spoiler>I'm high and pulling shit out my ass </spoiler>
>>
>>24827051
What about dialga? Earth doesn't seem to be the best fit for him. Likewise for Palkia and Water.
>>
>Exactly 10 types
Ok
>One type MUST be 'Normal'
Normal
>the existing starters must still retain their weakness/resistance type match ups after the change
Normal, Fire, Water, Plant
>must be backwards compatible, with all existing Pokemon being retuned to fit into the new categories
Normal, Energy, Water, Nature, Earth, Air, Myth, Ancient, Modern, Ki.

Normal is normal
Energy is fire, electric and some psychics
Water is water, ice and some poisons
Nature is grass, bug and some fairies
Earth is rock, ground and some steels
Air is flying naturally, but more vague.
Myth is fairy, some dragons and some psychics.
Ancient is dragon, fossils, old man made mons and some fairies.
Modern is steel and modern man made mons.
Ki is fighting and some psychics.

10 types is a bit restrictive to fit all pokemon into.
>>
>>24827366
legendary dragons could just be magic unless another type fits them better

>>24827430
>mawile, scizor and aron become "modern" types
>mawile also is an ancient type

what does that even mean
>>
>>24827453
it isn't as cut and dry as that, mawile would be myth or normal. It'd be an individual thing not a wholesale "all of this type becomes this one"
>>
Easy-peasy. Combine Normal/Fighting (Normal), Dark/Poison/Ghost (Dark), Ground/Rock/Steel (Earth), Water/Ice (Water), Grass/Bug (Nature), and Psychic/Fairy (Magic).

From there, Fire beats Nature beats Water beats Fire, as is normal.

Flying beats Earth (since it can escape it), Earth beats Electric since it doesn't really give a shit about lightning, and Electric beats Flying since they're more vulnerable to lightning.

Dark beats Magic due to being less pure, Magic beats Dragon due to enchantments and shit, and Dragons beat Darkness with the power of justice.

Dragons also fly higher than flying-types, Dark-types can break through earthen barriers, and Magic can be used to predict lightning-fast attacks.

Lightning beats Water, Flying beats Nature, and Earth beats Fire, as usual. In turn, Fire destroys magical objects, Water defeats cold-blooded Dragons, and morality is irrelevant to Nature which can adapt over time.

All types have two weaknesses and two strengths except for Normal, which is completely neutral.
>>
>>24827612

Basic
-Normal, Fighting, Steel, Rock, Ground, Flying,
Energy
- Fire, Electric, Psychic,
Spirit
- Grass, Water, ice, bug, poison
Mystic
-Ghost, Psychic, Dark, Dragon, Fairy
>>
Types (Blatantly stolen from the TCG)
Colorless (Normal, Flying)
Grass (Grass, Bug, Poison)
Fire
Water (Water, Ice)
Electric
Fighting (Fighting, Ground, Rock)
Psychic (Psychic, Ghost)
Steel
Dark (Dark, Ghost)
Dragon (Add fairy as well, maybe rename it to 'Myth' or something)

Defensive:
Normal Weakness: None
Normal Resistance: None

Dragon Weakness: Dragon, Psychic, Dark
Dragon Resistance: Fire, Water, Grass

Fire Weakness: Water, Fighting
Fire Resistance: Grass, Dragon
Grass Weakness: Fire, Steel
Grass Resistance: Water, Dragon
Water Weakness: Grass, Electric
Water Resistance: Fire, Dragon

Electric Weakness: Fighting
Electric Resistance: Steel
Steel Weakness: Fire, Water, Grass
Steel Resistance: Fighting, Psychic, Dark, Electric

Fighting Weakness: Psychic
Fighting Resistance: Dark, Fighting
Psychic Weakness: Dark
Psychic Resistance: Psychic, Fighting
Dark Weakness: Fighting
Dark Resistance: Dark, Psychic

Offensive:
Weak to Normal: None
Resists Normal: None
Weak to Dragon: Dragon
Resists Dragon: Fire, Water, Grass

Weak to Fire: Grass, Steel
Resists Fire: Water, Dragon
Weak to Grass: Water, Steel
Resists Grass: Fire, Dragon
Weak to Water: Fire, Steel
Resists Water: Grass, Dragon

Weak to Electric: Water
Resists Electric: Steel
Weak to Steel: Grass
Resists Steel: Electric

Weak to Fighting: Dark, Electric, Fire
Resists Fighting: Fighting, Steel
Weak to Psychic: Fighting, Dragon
Resists Psychic: Psychic, Steel
Weak to Dark: Psychic, Dragon
Resists Dark: Dark, Steel

Starter Types have their own elemental trinity, and a niche of being resistant to whatever is weak to you.

The Fighting/Psychic/Dark trinity gets a triangle as well, with a niche of being resistant to yourself.

Dragon and Steel exist as a way to link the two trios together. Electric is mostly neutral, but skews the types slightly to prevent total homogeny. Fighting is slightly better offensively than the other types but doesn't interact with dragon. Normal is completely neutral in all of this.
>>
File: Sev-chan.jpg (334 KB, 552x1000) Image search: [Google]
Sev-chan.jpg
334 KB, 552x1000
>>24827051
And what about poison types anon?
>>
>>24827612
Are all weaknesses the reverse of a resistance, or does your system just lack resistances completely?

Also, I'm wondering if super effectiveness actually needs to be a thing? Removing them will stall out games longer, which in a rapid fire glass cannon environment is bad, but if the game is built around it, it just gives more time for planning and strategy. The game becomes less about exploiting you opponents weakness for a OHKO, and more about coming up with a good generalized offensive strategies, while still defending yourself with tough bodies.

Or, since immunities are being shifted over to ability based, could do the same for weakness. For example, replace Levitate with
>Airborne
>You gain immunity to Ground attacks, but Electric attacks now deal double damage to you

So we could just use yours to show resistance instead of weakness, and call it done. Every type has 2 things it's resistant to, and 2 things resistant to it.
>>
>all those buzzwords in the subject line
>>
>Nrm
>Psy-Fgt-Fry
>Gnd-Wtr-Fly
>Stl-Grs-Ght
Mind Body Spirit
Land Sea Sky
Tech Nature Supernatural
>>
>>24827073
Kill yourself faggot
>>
>>24828779
So what do the fire types get grouped into?

>>24827430
The issue with grouping Fire and Electric together, is that it fucks up a lot of Pokemon. Electibuzz and Magmar would have minimal difference between them. The legendary birds and beasts would both have 2 Pokemon of the same type plus the third ice type, and the Gen5 box legendaries become straight carbon copies of each other.
>>
>>24827859
lump them in with grass or dark
>>
File: 1448119934826.jpg (10 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
1448119934826.jpg
10 KB, 276x183
>>24826847

>rock beats psychic
>>
>>24828873
nothing, just have fire attacks divide among their various sources. Supernatural fire like ghost flames and fairy fire, Manmade fire like explosives and flammable chemicals, Natural phenomenon fire like eruptions and heatwaves, psychic fire like pyrokinesis.
>>
>>24828906
Okay let me rephrase.

What types are Charmander, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle, in your system?
>>
>>24829994
charmander's a lizard, so Ground. Bulbasaur's still Grass. Squirtle's still Water. Charmeleon or Charizard would probably end up second typing into Ghost where a lot of dragon stuff would've gotten retyped.
>>
>>24826847
Typical RPG types:
- Non-typed
Elementals: Fire, Water, Electric, Air, Ground/Rock.
Spiritual: Dark/Fairy (Chaotic), Psychic (Neutral), Light (Law)
- Divine

Detail:
* Divine type is reserved to a bunch of legendaries, like Arceus, Giratina, Dialga, Palkia, Celebi, Zekrom, Reshiram and Zygarde. Shedinja is the only non-legendary Pokemon in having a Divine type. These cannot be captured or used in battle. They work in a similar way as Warcraft 3 Divine Armor. They can only be damaged with Divine type attacks.
>>
>>24827010
Dragon gets reclassed into whatever category appropriate - including 'Normal'. Flying mostly becomes normal.

Forgot to include that part.
>>
>>24827430
Your list is awful and you should feel embarrassed. There are so many issues with it, it's not even worth deconstructing - don't polish shit. Restart.
>>
>>24830726
>Light type
>>
Just give same type to pokemon of the same color
Blue > Red > Green > Blue
Purple > Brown > Yellow > Purple
Gray > White > Black > Gray
Pink is new normal, recolor starters.
>>
>>24830832
>Shiny Pokemon change type
>Sudowoodo is now actually a plant
>half the ghosts lose their ghost typing
Okay bro
>>
>>24826918
I like this, but I would merge Psychic and Fairy into a Magic type. Maybe have Poison or Wind/Air/Aerial as the tenth type.
>>
>>24830832
Fuck no. I hate how that shit is in every new monster collecting game. It makes everything so goddamn boring and takes the mystery out of learning something's elemental properties.
>>
Normal
Water (Water+Ice)
Fire
Life (Grass+Bug)
Undead (Ghost)
Air (Flying)
Earth (Rock+Ground)
Magic (Psychic+Fairy)
Tech (Steel+Electric)
Dark

Everything else fits under "Normal"
>>
>>24827034
Seconding this, dubbed Mythic type
>>
>>24831105
aren't these all skylanders affinities?
>>
>>24827034
Aerial type could work. Water+Air=Bubble bunnies. Wafting perfume burlesque midget flamingoes. Altaria is entirely Aerial etc.. Works or most that couldn't be considered Mythic
>>
Sorry >>24827034
That was meant for >>24827010
Reposting: Aerial type could work. Water+Air=Bubble bunnies. Wafting perfume burlesque midget flamingoes. Altaria is entirely Aerial etc.. Works or most that couldn't be considered Mythic
>>
Normal
Fire
Water
Grass
Vapor
Walking
Light
Antidote
Air
Corporeal
>>
>>24831687
>water
>then vapor

WUT??

>light
>doenst have dark

>air
>has walking instead of ground
>>
>>24826847
(pic related)
>rock effective on psychic
wat
>>
>>24830775
>Typical RPG types
>>
>>24830951
>implying sudowoodo isn't brown type
>>
>>24827051
>Light
Stopped reading right there
>>
>>24833150
Oh, my mistake.
>Seedot is no longer a grass type.
>>
>>24833314
yeah, seedot is brown type too

what don't you get about this?
>>
File: poke_types_10.jpg (178 KB, 1100x850) Image search: [Google]
poke_types_10.jpg
178 KB, 1100x850
My attempt, completely ignoring existing type relations.
>>
>People combining ice+water and rock+ground
I approve. Too much existing overlap there. Keep up the good work.

>normal not interacting with anything
Mixed feelings, not sure how I feel about that. Mite b cool if you give it to all Pokemon who otherwise lack a secondary typing, so all Pokemon get 2 STAB types, without altering their type interaction.

>No one adding interactions for types with themselves
Makes me sad. Most types DO interact with themselves. Fire, water, grass, psychic, poison, electric, ice, Dark, and steel all resist themselves, while ghost and dragon are super effective against themselves.

In fact, normal, flying, fairy, ground, rock, bug, and fighting don't have self interactions. Please add more self interaction guys.

>people completely ignoring resistances, or having them just be whatever they are super effective against.
God damnit, cut that shit out. Bland as fucking hell.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.