[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone else notice a sharp increase in hatred of HGSS recently?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (218 KB, 480x319) Image search: [Google]
image.png
218 KB, 480x319
Has anyone else notice a sharp increase in hatred of HGSS recently?

They're not my favorite games, but they're really good still
>>
I replayed it recently and realized why it always felt off to me, and now I personally hate it.

It's still objectively top tier Pokemon though.
>>
>>27042776
Why does it feel off to you anon?
>>
>>27042787
Lots of little differences from GSC that personally piss me off. Whether it's aesthetic, narrative, structural, musical, so on. I just don't feel like it captured the feeling of the original GSC well at all. And many of the additions personally don't appeal to me much, like Pokethlon or the Johto Safari Zone. This doesn't bother me much but they also made the level scale worse.

They're still great, it's really just my nostalgia just makes it so I'd rather go back to GSC for what was in it and what's new isn't enough for me.
>>
>>27042981
I thought I was the only one who preferred GSC over HG/SS. The slower start,new gym designs and many of the new additions didn't appeal to me.
>>
>>27042693
There's a dude on this board who rabidly hates HGSS, he posts fairly frequently in ORAS threads to praise said game while hating on HGSS. Whether he's a shitposter or actually believes it is up in the air, but considering how many people defend ORAS in general on this board the latter isn't out of the question.
>>
>>27044703
Yeah that gen rate thread, if filled with samefags it looks like
>>
>>27042693
Not my favorites but I love them. I thought they were great remakes of GSC, lots of little nods here and there, and the music was excellent. All of the added content was nice too.
>>
They're contrarian edgelords. HGSS is widely appreciated and considered by many to be the best game in the series.
>>
>>27042981
>>27043567
Because you're blinded by nostalgia that you prefer GSC

Despite them being 99% identical, HGSS is still objectively better than GSC since HGSS added more content to do.
>>
>>27042693
Children who grew up with gen 4 were previously the most numerous group on /vp/, making HGSS and Platinum the most popular games because they were childhood defining. Now Kalosperms are getting old enough to post, and HGSS' inflated position is starting to deflate as people realize that gen 4 played the worst of any generation by a large margin, with incredibly slow battles and terrible save/load times. From an objective standpoint, HGSS is one of the worst games in the franchise, but it will take some time for its memetic popularity to fade.
>>
>>27044883
10/10 bait desu
>>
>>27042693
Who hates HGSS? Tell me their name and I'll go beat'em up.
>>
>>27045431
It was anon. Go beat anon up, he also called my favorite Pokémon a shitmon!
>>
>>27042776
I like people being able to separate their favorites from what they think is the best.

I don't like Emerald much but I can't deny its a very good Pokemon experience.

>>27042693
Nah, its just >>27044703.

>>27044797
Not either of them but while I also think HGSS is objectively better, I can't say I don't get it. Stuff like the musical changes and the aesthetics I get having problems with. Even if I think HGSS has the best over world aesthetics in any Pokemon game.
>>
>>27044797
Well yeah, I said as much that HGSS is objectively better and a top tier game.

However I still prefer GSC in more subjective maters, as said probably because I grew up with it.
>>
>>27045684
I was collecting Pokemon music for my playlist, and got HGSS New Bark Town. It was great. But out of curiosity I got GSC's as well and holy fuck was it fantastic. Like, god damn amazing.
>>
>>27045656
I feel the exact same away about Hoenn
>>
>>27042981
I loathed GSC as a game ( but maybe because i didnt have RBY along with it whatever)

But HGSS is a 9/10 among the series
>>
>>27042693
They're my favorite games. Are people seriously developing shit taste here?
>>
>>27045748
Are you talking its good but you don't like it, or how you get liking the original more than the remakes?

>>27045809
People still generally put BW2 and HGSS in first so no
>>
>>27044883
XY aren't even 3 years old yet. How are Kalosperms going to become of age soon?
>>
>>27045843
I still don't understand why people put BW2 above BW. The only saving grace for BW2 was the world tournament, which wasn't all that good.
>>
>>27045849
they aren't
>>
>>27045867
Pokéstar Studios, Join Avenue (which lost almost all its utility with Wi-Fi shutting off but it was great before then), plus it added like a third of a whole region in terms of new areas and NPCs on top of what Unova already had.
>>
>>27046008
People liked Pokestar studios? It seemed more of a hassle to use than anything.
>>
It's because gen 4 is now 3 gens ago. /vp/ always hates last gen, idolizes the gen 2 gens ago, and shits on the gen 3 gens ago.
>>
>>27045867
While BW's story is (arguably) better (I preferred the one in 2) and I get the appeal of no new Pokemon, BW2 just has a lot more content.

Not only that, but it added a lot of new locations to the already great Unova region.
>>
>>27046046
I like it, it's like a better version of XY's restaurants, where you have to strategically battle to get the desired result. I can see it not being for everyone, and I tend to have contrarian tastes as a whole (I love both the Safari Zone and roaming Legendaries) so maybe I'm alone in that as well.
>>
>>27046046
I liked it mostly because Rosa's outfits were cute.

I thought the concept was pretty interesting, you never got to be a movie star in a Pokemon game before
>>
>>27042693
No. It's hailed by /vp/ as the second coming of Christ.
>>
>>27046055
I might be the exception to the rule then. Gen 4 has been my favorite for a decade now, and I have a feeling that SM may take that throne or will be my 2nd fave.
>>
>>27046189
I agree. Well, on the last part.

Unova and Johto are my fav regions but what I've seen of SM looks like Alola will take top spot
>>
>>27042693
Shitposters invading /vp/
>>
What was wrong with Gen 4, anons?
>slow engine

That's literally it. Why does /vp/ hate it so much?
>>
>>27042693

HGSS are possibly the best games in the series, I don't know how one could dislike them unless they just really disliked GS in the first place.
>>
I've been trying to replay hg recently and I can name some problems. HGs economy seems so fucked, it moves too slow at times, and the johto variety of pokemon just seems bad. Hard to make a good varied team
>>
>>27046326
The games are intriguing me so much. There seems to be heavy implications of alchemy and I can't wait to see how it will affect the gameplay. The overworld and new Pokemon designs are also very comfy.
>>
Gen 2 is my favorite gen, I love hgss and gsc. Hgss are my most played pokemon games. Currently playing silver on my phone, still good just hate the grind.
>>
I fucking love HGSS

>pokemon in trees
>pokewalker getting you mons from way forward
>the region
>going back to kanto for a minute
>the caves
>the exploration
>pokemon following you
>the sinnoh channel
>the hoenn channel
>the Johtodex itself is 10/10, wish they would make the actual final pokedex like that
>the acorn balls
>the gym leader rematches
>day and night are back in full force
>music helping
man there's so much to do in that game and it's great
>>
File: 1420926753371.png (700 KB, 1092x1836) Image search: [Google]
1420926753371.png
700 KB, 1092x1836
I'm not even an ORAS defender, but I still prefer it to HGSS. Favorite games are Emerald and Black, so meh.
>>
File: 134483.jpg (208 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
134483.jpg
208 KB, 800x800
>>27042693
Not really good. They are objectively bad.
The main issue is the slow as fuck pacing, everything else is shit.
Not even a few perks like following companions or perma-run can compensate this.
So it's not a recent thing, the games are crap and that won't change.
>>
>>27046438
Crystal was one of my favorite games, but I never liked HG/SS. Between the music, the slowness of the Gen IV engine, the boring shitmons everywhere, and the fact that I'd already played Johto several times by then, the games had grown stale on arrival.
>>
>>27046619
This is a shit chart, I want to make one my own that isn't just bait.

>>27046569
I love Johto caves. But I'm interested in hearing why you like them.

>>27046483
I'm replaying it now too. What do you mean by Johto economy? Remember you probably just have a bunch of money at your house. Ibakso don't find it slow. Was it made faster than Sinnoh, because it feels that way.
>>
File: top pek.jpg (31 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
top pek.jpg
31 KB, 480x480
>>27046569
My negro
>>
>>27046675
* I also
>>
>people complaining about an already easy game
Autism incarnate.
>>
I thought it was ok.

The only actual "hatred" I've seen of it is when people say it (and B/W, for some reason) are the best games.
>>
>>27046675
Just the exploration aspect of the caves really. They always led to something interesting one way or another. The only thing i don't like is the distribution of pokemon, but that's a general issue with the games that I do see people on. Every route has almost the same distribution of water types, for example

Like, the place with the best distribution is Mt. Silver, and that's literally endgame really.

And I forgot, days of the week meaning something in the games, it got me to keep coming back in good ways.
>>
>>27046675
It just feels like you barely get money for most of the game, making it hard to but items making it easier to lose causing you to have less money . I don't remember sinnoh well enough to say if that's slow or not, and desu the level curve see bad at times, but it's the hard game we all wanted kinda
>>
>>27047060
I find the level curve fine. Every game has a different curve but this one was well designed to go with the battles. And yeah, the difficulty is totally there because of it.

The only game that made me feel like I never had money was Emerald. I did run out of money today but I just got a Nugget in the Pokeathelon.

>>27046898
Yeah, the caves aren't all uniquely designed like in the other regions (except Sinnoh) but the layouts were all great. Union Cave's back exit is always fin to go through
>>
>>27042693
I've always hated HGSS.
>>
File: 1462246988029.png (76 KB, 344x295) Image search: [Google]
1462246988029.png
76 KB, 344x295
>>27046055
>muh Zelda Cycle

People are not going to start praising XY when SM comes out. There's nothing in XY to praise besides customization, which is already confirmed to return in SM.
>>
>>27047560
This. You can't force the Zelda Cycle on Pokemon. It really doesn't work for any other franchise.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>tfw can't play DS games on new phone
>>
>>27042693
HGSS was the best
my fucking word, if those games had the 3d graphics of SM and XY then no other pokemon game would stand a chance in comparison.
>>
>>27047657
just get Drastic

>>27047810
Well, of SM or BW2 for me
>>
>>27042693
Overrated as fuck. I beat FR, Platinum, BW, BW2, XY, and even ORAS (althought I forced myself for that one) and HGSS is the one mainline game I can't get past 3 badges.
>>
>>27045867
I think the main reason why I like it more is because objectively, BW2 has everything BW has and more except for a better plot. I experienced Unova through BW2 for the first time and only played BW for the story and that's why I enjoyed it more. Though, I can imagine whichever one you play first can influence which one you like the most. Experiencing something a second time isn't always more fun and can feel repetitive.
>>
I dont know how to feel about these Games

They are good, but there is something I can take

maybe is the Geography, I'm pretty sure without the postgame, johto would be boring
>>
>>27044797
>objectively better
Opinion discarded. More content doesn‛t necessarily make something better, especially if that content is shit. The pokeathlon is tedious and mostly useless, as are pokemon contests and only seem to be in the game to fill in a quota of ‛something to do besides battling‛, but making the overall experience worse by making the player take part in annoying tutorials before moving on to the next part of their journey.

imo crystal is far more replayable as a raw presentation of what pokemon has to offer, without any of the annoying bullshit that got assfisted into its remakes. also what is the deal with Lyra as a character? What does she even do?
>>
>>27042693
No, it's still considered the best game objectively.
>>
>>27048566
HGSS Johto is pretty fucking great even without Kanto.

>>27048890
It's not objectively better because of your subjective opinion of the Pokeathelon, and extra features?
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.