[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How should I get back into pokemon after not being into it for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
File: pokemon-header2.jpg (72 KB, 640x332) Image search: [Google]
pokemon-header2.jpg
72 KB, 640x332
Greetings /vp/,

I first played pokemon when I was 9 or 10, Yellow version. Fun game, comfy memories, replayed many times, yadda yadda yadda,

I never touched another pokemon game until Soul Silver on a friend's recommendation. I'm fairly positive I enjoyed that game but my memory of it is fuzzy, I don't even remember what starter I picked or who any of the gymleaders were or anything - except I do remember catching a shiny Gyarados at Rage Lake and feeling proud about it.

Recently been playing Red version on the 3DS virtual console and having a blast of nostalgia combined with the "newness" of playing a version of the game that's even older than Yellow.

I've admired this franchise from a distance for a long time but I'm so far out of the loop what with these newfangled 151+ Pokemon, new game mechanics and stuff. It seems intimidating to get back into it.

MY QUESTION TO YOU, /vp/, and I am certain you're the wrong people to ask but what the hell - What Pokemon game should I choose to get back into it?
AR/OS to pick up more or less where I left off?
X/Y to dive into the deep end of a journey that would be wholly new to me?
Or should I wait for Sun/Moon because reasons?

Help me choose, /vp/, you're my only hope.
>>
>>26977236
x/y is a good new start. But as/or can work fine too. No point in waiting till SM if you already have a 3DS.
>>
>>26977236
XY is full of Kanto/Genwun pandering. Whether or now you like it would be up to you

You'll probably like it since you weren't overexposed with Kanto GSC, FR/LG, Kanto HGSS so yea
>>
File: 1457755552727.gif (105 KB, 500x217) Image search: [Google]
1457755552727.gif
105 KB, 500x217
>>26977236
>except I do remember catching a shiny Gyarados at Rage Lake and feeling proud about it
Anyone wanna tell him?

I suggest starting with FR/LG. They're good remakes of the first games, and still enjoyable now, and play Emerald afterwards. If you can't handle slightly older games, go with Platinum and move onto B/W and B2W2 from there. Afterwards, you can go to XY and optionally ORAS. These two are quite a bit easier than the others, but they're still enjoyable games for the most part, and the most recent.
>>
Play HG/SS. NOW.
>>
>>26977236

Wait for SunMoon

Gen 6 is meh.
>>
>>26977236
Play XY. You even get to pick s second starter that's from Gen I. XY aren't bad games, you won't regret it. No matter what you choose, come back and share your experience, OP.
>>
>>26978319
Did you even read it matey

OP PLAY B2W2
>OP PLAY B2W2
OP PLAY B2W2
>OP PLAY B2W2
>>
>>26978399
>playing bw2 before bw1
>>
>>26978319
>>26978363

Read poor OP's post before shitposting girl.

OP, those are legit >>26978381
>>26977563
>>26977264
>>
>>26978399
I don't think he would be able to enjoy bw2's postgame that much
>>
>>26977236
Play X and Y, they're really good at getting people back into the series, even if they don't have much content. Then maybe ORAS. Definitely go back and play older games at some point. HGSS would be a nice transitioning point. If you like adventure go platinum, if you want a story go BW/BW2
>>
>>26977236
X/Y was specifically made for people like you, to smoothly introduce the newest Pokemon to Gen 1 or Gen 2 players. Give it a try.
>>
>>26978467
Fucking fucks. OP said he already played HGSS
>>
>>26978467
Maybe since it's free you should play FRLG for new staple mechanics first even just for a bit l.
>>
>>26978484
>my memory of it is fuzzy, I don't even remember what starter I pick

Can't hurt it's a damn good game anyways
>>
>>26977236
The trouble with xy/oras is you're gonna be overwhelmed with 721 pokemon. Work up to that in little steps. Emulating Platinum would be my jump-in point. That'd catch you up to Gen IV.

BW into BW2 is neat in that it's just Gen V's mons - meaning nothing you'll have seen before. idk if that appeals to you or turns you off.

After that, one from the 3ds titles. If you're not bored yet that is.
>>
>>26977236
I'd go Platinum>Black/White>Black/White 2>X or Y> ORAS.
Vanilla RSE has aged poorly. It will be more enjoyable if you get back into it later.
>>
>>26978485
He asked for a 3ds game and he already played SoulSilver anyway, so he'll know the mechanics. And pokemon is babbies first rpg, you don't need to learn shit.
>>
>>26977236
I recommend Black/White. Those games heralded my return to Pokemon and they're really fun. They're like a soft reboot of the series, almost.
>>
>>26978494
What kind of facebook tier fuck up gets "overwhelmed" by vydia? He won't be catching them all on the very first game kid, stop being autistic.
>>
>>26978507
this, at most he would be for b/w since it's only new mons instead of a mix. To older player the best one is prolly Y still.

>>26978481

/thread
>>
>>26978497
See >>26978493

Also I don't know maybe he really won't like it and they should just test the waters and shit
>>
Either play X/Y or wait for Sun/Moon. Based on what you're looking for I wouldn't bother with anything else.
>>
>>26978535
I reinserted two genwunner friends into pokemon using Y. B/W is better to introduce children who never played pokemon, like if you have a younger relative. And he asked for 3DS games since he just got one. You can't have a 3DS without going after po-gaymen.
>>
OP here,

Thanks for the advice and for generally not being /v/tards about it. This seems like a relatively comfy board.

I think I'm going to go ahead and pick up X or Y. A part of me wants to be overwhelmed with newness.

>>26977699
>except I do remember catching a shiny Gyarados at Rage Lake and feeling proud about it
>Anyone wanna tell him?
Wait... this jogs my memory... Was catching shiny gyarados a part of the story or something?
Fuck I was smoking too much weed in those days.
>>
>>26977699
I wouldn't tell him to play a kanto game after just playing red and only playing yellow and SS. OP, get around to playing FRLG at some point but, for right now, play another generation so it's not so repetitive and you get some exposure to newer pokemon. My advice would be to emulate the same experience most pokemon fans had and play the games in order from where you left off. Skip GSC is you want since you've played SS. Johto is my favorite gen but HGSS has everything you could want from the original games and more (besides the chiptune aesthetic). If you never beat the postgame of Kanto and Red, I highly recommend revisiting your old save file. Then play them in this order:
>Emerald
>Platinum
>Black/White
>Black2/White2
>X/Y
The only one you'll need to buy is X/Y because the rest can be emulated. Regardless of what anyone on /vp/ says, there are no bad generations and all the games are decent at worst.

Honestly, X/Y is skippable but still play it if you can fit it in before S&M come out. Gen 7 is consensually expected to be bretty gud, but nobody knows for certain. Wait until after S&M come out to play ORAS, if at all. It's a decent game but emerald delivers everything you would get out of it minus 3d graphics.

Good luck OP and have fun.
>>
>>26978566
I personally think /v/ is the worst board here, even worse than pol
>>
>>26978575
You basically made an anti-rec. If OP does the opposite of all your posts, he'll be fine.
>>
>>26977236
>>26977236
Don't even bother with X/Y or ORAS

Gen five is breddy gud
>>
>>26978507
Well no shit sherlock. Of course he can dive straight in with no huge impediment. But too much choice can still be offputting, so if hes going to play multiple times, may as well work through a few choice titles in the logical order.

Chill out you pent-up freak. OP asked for opinions, and that's my two cent. Smoke up and relax.
>>
>>26978603
I don't like the games, but they're very good at re introducing you to the series
>>
>>26978581
/pol/ has done nothing wrong, m8
>>
>>26978616
They are a board of peace
>>
>>26978607
>But too much choice can still be offputting

If you're 10 and autistic. Or some wannabe fedora pussy. If you are either you can fuck off already.
>>
>>26978616
He must be a redditor shitposting, you can sense his smell on all his shitposts really, the have a forced pompous speak.
>>
>>26978639
Pol just has way to fucking much posting for any discussion that's my flaw with it

It's just mostly circle jerking

Inb4 that's vp/every board

This is me btw >>26978624
>>
>>26978665
>pol
>not /pol/
>vp
>not /vp/

You can leave now summer.
>>
>>26978592
>anti-rec
what

I genuinely believe that the games should be played in order for the first time. He'll be fine either way because it's not that big of a deal. Like I said, all the games are decent at worst and if you like the style of games, any of them will be worthwhile and fun. OP should play all of the games at some point if he wants to fully immerse himself in the series. If it's just a casual revisiting, then he's already played 3 main series games and any of the ones new to him are great. I'm not OP so I don't know how far down the rabbit hole he wants to go, but if I could replay the main series games for the first time, I would do it in a heartbeat.
>>
>>26978704
Not him but I'm not reading your walls of text, that alone already makes you an "anti-rec". Go learn english instead of samefaging, thanks.
>>
Crimmy-Kyuu-San is tsun-tsun! Cute!
>>
>>26978729
I'm reccing the entire franchise, what's the problem. OP asked for opinions and I gave them.
>>
If you get BW/B2W2, you can transfer your pokemon to XY/ORAS, and then to S&M.
You can also transfer your pokemon from your virtual console Red to S&M, when it comes out.
>>
>>26978628
You type swears like you don't use them in real life. Enjoy your shitposting, I can't be arsed arguing with tweens.
>>
>>26978566
Yes iit is.
In the story team rocket uses radio waves or something to force evolve the pokemon. The red gyrados has an overworld sprite like a legendary. With this it is pretty much the least valueable shiny. (If you want to consider them shiny in the first place)
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.