[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone please explain why everyone hates mega-evos so much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9
File: 1447350577211.jpg (7 KB, 250x176) Image search: [Google]
1447350577211.jpg
7 KB, 250x176
Can someone please explain why everyone hates mega-evos so much? I personally never got what was so bad with them.
>>
>>24683461
This board is filled to the brim with contrarians and hipsters, and they are all mad that Charizard got 2 megas while their favourite irrelevant shitmon got none.
>>
We had a thread on it a while back:

Since nothing's happening, let's talk about the biggest slippery slope in the series, mega evolution. In its current state, they:

>cuts down the number of new pokemon
>players barely use most of them, being post game and limited to 1 per team
>some megas are objectively better than others, limiting team building for competitive
>continuously raises the power creep as GF wants to make players use the new ones
>divides the playerbase in opinion, or "if my bro doesn't get a mega I'll be skipping next game"
>clutters the bags; next gen we'll be approaching 100 mega stones
>limits time spent on new features, as megas are considered one of the series "selling points" now
>strips weak pokemon of any future; they can't evolve anymore and are stuck with a weak mega/useless ability
>catering to genwunners can backfire; they're not the kind who'll stick with the series

I wonder how many people are actually ok with the above.
>>
>>24683463
I can't believe I got an actual answer.
>>
>>24683463
>contrarians and hipsters
Is that how you feel about anyone who doesn't likes everything?

Pretty dumb desu
>>
>>24683461
They limit the potential of future improvements for shitmons, while making already powerful Pokemon outright broken. Many of them also have awful designs, with completely arbitrary type/ability changes.
>>
File: lenewglorifiedformchanges.png (488 KB, 2198x588) Image search: [Google]
lenewglorifiedformchanges.png
488 KB, 2198x588
>kills potential for regular evolutions
>limited usage because 1 per battle rule
>because of said rule if a mega is outclassed it's even more worthless because it's competing for 1/1 slot instead of 1/6 slots
>boring designs that are derivative of the pokemon's base design because it still has to be the same pokemon
>shitty balance; Garchomp gets a mega that's practically worse than its base form yet Salamence gets a mega that's better than most ubers

that's why.
>>
>>24683461
>Meh, outlandish concept with HORRIBLE distribution and even more horrible designs for the most part
>>
>>24683461
>everyone
>>
>>24683461
Same reason they hate OR/AS. They don't have one.
>>
>>24683516
>shit is bad and here's why
>you're mad because you don't have it

Why every gen 6 thread is full of this idiocy?
>>
File: this asshole.jpg (78 KB, 495x497) Image search: [Google]
this asshole.jpg
78 KB, 495x497
>>24683491
>seriously liking shitmons such as
>useless vileplume clone
>fake out cancer monkey
>le fedora bird
>JUST FAT MY SHIT UP on lickitung, tangela, magmar
>fucking rhyperior out of all things
>dusknoir being a shitmon outclassed by dusclops in every way
>useless jew nose with a fucking retarded moustache

You seriously cannot be this retarded, if you wanted to prove a point you could have posted the gen 2 evolutions, not the atrocities we got on gen 4
>>
>>24683503
>outlandish
>pokemon

Stop the presses!
>>
>>24683471
Cutting down the number of monsters introduced is a good thing, we're getting closer to a thousand. And so what if the players don't use all of them, we don't use all of the monsters either. Basically you're just bitching over nothing
>>
>>24683546
>Cutting down the number of monsters introduced is a good thing

No it isn't. Variety is better. There are already so many pokemon that it doesn't matter at this point.

if this franchise gets to the point where you can catch fucking 2000 pokemon in one game, all the more power to it.
>>
>>24683539
Are you the taste police?

>>24683546
>you're basically bitching over nothing except this thing I disregard
>>
>>24683461
I like megas but I hate how GF did them.
You m.evolve right away, there'is no condition. The story aroud them is shit and with ORAS they even change some base lore. Almost nobody in the game use them.
As they are now, they feel wrong and out of place, and that's a shame
>>
I really dislike them b4ecause the gen all about balancing the game finally introduces a broken mechanic and gives it to broken Pokemon

it should have been given to less competitive viable Pokemon that the creators would like to see used more. which a few of them are like ampharos and beedrill but then they gave it to mewtwo

it happens instantaneously so there no reason not to use it except in very specific circumstances which make most of the npc matches tedious a bit

they didn't give it to any new Pokemon which made me realize how poor Pokemon development actually is and that saddens me

the designs themselves are kinda inconstant why does one mega look like this and another look like that

actual proof GF can't stand raichu
>>
File: ed1.png (251 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
ed1.png
251 KB, 512x512
>>24683461
>power creep
>no backward compatibility
>mons with megas wont get any normal evolution ever
>mons without mega are falling behind
>>
>>24683461
One of the reasons why I prefered Pokemon to Digimon in my childhood was that Pokemon were getting stronger (via evolution) permanently, not temporarily.

>>24683471
Gotta agree with most of these points. Especially these ones:
>continuously raises the power creep as GF wants to make players use the new ones
Next game's region will be filled with these stones if they won't make a shop with them.
>>
File: 1435726389692.png (2 MB, 1362x1490) Image search: [Google]
1435726389692.png
2 MB, 1362x1490
>>24683491
>>24683503
>shitting on pokemon designs
a reminder to get a load of this and be grateful for what you have
>>
File: yo.png (19 KB, 182x175) Image search: [Google]
yo.png
19 KB, 182x175
>>24683753
I saw this guy on Disney XD
>>
>>24683614
>mons without megas are falling behind
Tell that to Espeon/Scolipede, Klefki, Greninja, and Aegislash

And then repeat it for the legendaries without a mega.
>>
>>24683471
Since nothing's happening, let's talk about the biggest slippery slope in the series, Pokemon. In its current state, they:
>players barely use most of them, being post game
>some Pokemon are objectively better than others, limiting team building for competitive
>divides the playerbase in opinion, or "if my bro doesn't get an evolution i'll be skipping next game"
>clutters the bags; next gen we'll be approaching 100 evolution items
>limits time spent on new features, as evolutions are considered one of the series "selling points" now
>strips weak Pokemon of any future; they remain useless by themselves and are stuck with a weak evolution/useless ability
>catering to genwunners can backfire; they're not the kind who'll stick with the series

I wonder how many people are actually ok with the above.

>>24683600
>it should have been given to less competitive viable Pokemon that the creators would like to see used more. which a few of them are like ampharos and beedrill but then they gave it to mewtwo
Why shouldn't they give them to whoever they please? Why are weak Pokemon the only ones that have to have one?

>they didn't give it to any new Pokemon which made me realize how poor Pokemon development actually is and that saddens me
Are you dumb?

>the designs themselves are kinda inconstant why does one mega look like this and another look like that
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>24683731
>One of the reasons why I prefered Pokemon to Digimon in my childhood was that Pokemon were getting stronger (via evolution) permanently, not temporarily.
>watching the anime
>>
File: mega pikachus.png (385 KB, 698x393) Image search: [Google]
mega pikachus.png
385 KB, 698x393
At least you get a lot of cute merch out of it.
>>
>>24683461
It's a ridiculous and unnecessary concept. All gamefreak needs to do is make a solid game with no gimmicks, just good, new pokemon with good designs. Also, my favorite pokemon such as poliwrath will never been relevant again due to these mega evolutions.

It's another classic example of a company trying to innovate with "something new", like this great new idea that shakes the world. But it's just a mediocre deviantart-esque idea that isn't great enough to justify its existence. Instead of working on mega evolutions, gamefreak could have worked on problems that the series has always had and continues to have, or they could have put out more solid/higher number of designs in a new generation, or they could have added more end game. Basically I hate mega evolutions because it's a dumb concept and gamefreak thought "it will be enough" to sell the games. I don't want "good enough to sell games", I want "very good pokemon game".
>>
>>24683853
>Also, my favorite pokemon such as poliwrath will never been relevant again due to these mega evolutions.
What does this even mean? Also you seem to be implying Poliwrath was ever relevant since its creation.
>>
>>24683886
It means there is no chance that poliwrath will ever be seen in battle or merchandise ever again. He will never get a mega evolution. He wasn't very relevant before, but this is the last straw.
>>
>>24683909
Yeah, and weak Pokemon like Beedrill, Pidgeot, Sharpedo, Camerupt, Glalie, Lopunny, Audino will never get them either. So what?

You're literally hating something that COULD make it shine again if it existed, while you were perfectly fine with it having NOTHING for all this time. Do you even listen to yourself?
>>
>>24683942
Wow, you're emotional for no reason.

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter if my favorite pokemon gets a mega evolution or not. There are a hundred other pokemon that won't, and those pokemon won't be seen or heard from again. Many mega evolutions are too powerful. Mega Salamence shows the limit-breaking lengths gamefreak will go through to sell this idea of mega evolutions. The battling metagame is so centralized that it is not worth playing anymore. Smogon is breaking and dying, frantically banning more and more pokemon just to get a handle on the obscene shit gamefreak is churning out lately.

"Duuuude, like, what if pokemon could like, evolve and stuff and become completely overdesigned like a digimon, but, like, it only worked for like, 1 battle maaaaaan???" - a stoned 11 year old on deviantart who has a hedgehog OC named 'blackheart'

If you lack discernment enough to think mega evolutions are cool then you must be a writer of fanfiction.
>>
>>24683491
>>24683471

>the good megas are worth one to two other items stats-wise with none of their drawbacks (move lock, recoil, etc), can't be stolen from, tricked, or knocked off, as well as coming with an upgraded type and ability

>this surely is balanced
>>
>>24683461
>"let's put a bunch of unnecessary black parts on aerodactyl and gyarados and then change gyarados's awesome typing for no reason"
>"it will be edgy man, very cool!!!!"
no.

gamefreak is also playing favorites by choosing only 1 fossil pokemon to mega evolve, leaving out omastar and kabutops. how do omastar and kabutops fans feel about that? probably shitty.

it's a bad shitty idea that shouldn't exist and it's ruining a lot of pokemon I used to like

how am I supposed to like heracross knowing now that his most powerful form is a hook nosed jew
>>
-Limits the amount of guys that are usable.
-You get guys in the game with legendary stats that make it even more of a joke. The new game was the easiest BY FAR.

Most of the mega pokemon were already the best, most powerful and used(OU) before they were given these fucking stones.
>>
I've yet to play Gen6 games, but my reaction is this:

It needlessly complicates the battle system. Pokemon devs have talked about the joy they have of changing things up and making things brand new for veterans of the series, but Mega Evolutions were not the right step. Essentially, it's not "new" enough (in a nutshell, it's "uberize your pokemon!"), and for the newly introduced pokemon/aspects to it, there's a lot that's unbalanced and unfair.

Beyond that, it just so obviously screams of being a gimmick or "experiment gone wild." I'm guessing the combination of Gen5's sales numbers not being too impressive, with HGSS's sales being very impressive made GameFreak focus on making Gen6 have the most "eye catching" things. So, 3D + tons of new/reasonable features + Fairy type = still not enough. Mega Evolutions was their solution.
>>
>>24683853
>gamefreak could have worked on problems that the series has always had and continues to have

Such as?
>>
>>24683823
Well, I've played Digimon World 1 as well but you should know how "permanent" evolutions are there.

Also:
>Being a kid
>Watching cartoons
Truly surprising.
>>
>>24683789
5 pokemon invalidates the argument

ok.
>>
They skimp out on giving proper evos for a shitty Mega evolution
>>
>>24683600
Are you secretly brain dead and just smashing away at the keyboard?
>>
>>24683461
because it ruins the original design

the power up is just a bonus to force you to like it
>>
>>24683999
All of that is no different from making a legendary or something like Lucario or Garchomp.
Also as gen 4 showed evolutions clearly have the worst design of the two.,
>>
File: 1446867145469.jpg (65 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
1446867145469.jpg
65 KB, 500x450
>Gen 5 is the last good gen of pokemon
I want megas to go and stay go
Gen 7 pls save the world
>>
>>24686581
>>Gen 5 is the last good gen of pokemon
>those Pokemon
>weather
Yeah no.
>>
>>24683461
>shit designs
>breaking the game even more than before
>adding even more simplicity to the newer games
>further declining the number of Pokemon people actually use
>completely altering the feel to Pokemon in general
>cutting down the amount of new Pokemon in games
>>
>>24686603
>>completely altering the feel to Pokemon in general
This doesn't even mean anything.
>>
>>24683471
I think that was the point?
>players barely use most of them, being post game and limited to 1 per team
Thats only true for XY. And you're not limited to 1 per team, more like 1 per battle.
You clearly havent been playing competitive for long, this was a problem way before Megas were introduced.
>divides the playerbase in opinion, or "if my bro doesn't get a mega I'll be skipping next game"
Thats just what people say. If they're long time fans and not bored of the series in general, they're going to buy the next game anyway.
Thats more of a problem with GameFreak removing the fucking PC Storage in gen IV. Anyway, if they start cluttering the bag too much GameFreak can just retcon them to one "Mega Stone"' item that can be used with all Mega Evolving Pokemon.
>limits time spent on new features, as megas are considered one of the series "selling points" now
Unfortunately you're correct here, as anyone who followed ORAS pre-release can atest.
>strips weak pokemon of any future; they can't evolve anymore and are stuck with a weak mega/useless ability
For two stage evolution lines like Beedrill and Pidgeot Mega Evolution was probably their last and final shot at achiveing relevancy. In other cases it's debatable, Pokemon like Mawile or Kangaskhan probably would never recieve such overpowered abilities if they werent tied to a Mega Stone.
Agreed, but considering most of the "iconic" Pokemon like Charizard and Mewtwo already got their Megas I think they're done with pandering to genwunners for now.
>>
The real problem is that it's never going to go away now.

Every game from now on will have a huge portion of the manpower into making more and more of that shit instead of actually doing something good for the game.
>>
>>24686640
Nah, I think that after gen 6 they're going to vastly reduce the focus on Mega evolutions. Firstly becuase they're running out of "material" to Mega Evolve, secondly because you can only milk one feature so much before people get bored. Mega Evolution wont be seen as new and interesting come gen 7, and GF fully realises this. They'll likely drop it for another gimmick mechanic like fusions or whatever the fuck else.
>>
>>24686652
Limit break meters.
>>
They could have made megas alternate path evos based on stats like Tyrogue with the Hitmons or real evos for the one and two stage pokemon and passed it off as "through close bonds and special training" to disguise amie as something other than pure autism and to make super training relevant. Mega Fug can keep the unique story base while Diancie's could just a be a Forme
>>
If they don't make Mega Empoleon broken I will no longer purchase games and just use emulation.
>>
>>24686602
>those pokemon
shit taste, senpai
>weather
that's what you get for playing with faggots
>>
>>24683471
>>strips weak pokemon of any future; they can't evolve anymore and are stuck with a weak mega/useless ability

Bullshit. Every Weak Pokemon with a mega gets some sort of boost from it, especially ones like Beedrill or Charizard that couldn't evolve anymore anyway.
>>
>>24686792
Charizard wasn't even weak
>>
I hate more gaijins so like shiny than megaevo
>>
>>24683753
hahaha dank meme xD
>>
>>24686581
>Gen 5
>Good
Gen 5 was the fucking worst gen of all. I'd take all the Mega's over the atrocity that was BW/BW2 and the massive bloat of ugly shitmons those awful games gave us.

>>24683999
>Smogon is breaking and dying, frantically banning more and more pokemon just to get a handle on the obscene shit gamefreak is churning out lately.
>Implying Gamefreak gives a dick about Smogon
>Implying they should care about Smogon
Smogon is not official. They do not profit from Smogon. Half the playerbase fucking hates Smogon. If they can't keep up then just let them die, I guarantee you someone will take their place.
>>
>>24687263
But they heard how you didn't like even numbered generations being boring expansion packs to existing Pokemon and decided to make the most independent odd numbered generation ever.
>>
>>24687263
>>Smogon is breaking and dying, frantically banning more and more pokemon just to get a handle on the obscene shit gamefreak is churning out lately.
>>Implying Gamefreak gives a dick about Smogon
>>Implying they should care about Smogon
>Smogon is not official. They do not profit from Smogon. Half the playerbase fucking hates Smogon. If they can't keep up then just let them die, I guarantee you someone will take their place.
You missed the point again, baka-gaijin. Smogon is just a community of players attempting to balance the game so that it's playable. The fact that it's in its death throes because gamefreak keeps inventing increasingly broken shit every game is a sign that gamefreak has completely lost touch. If you don't care about smogon at all you should still care that it's dying because it means that the games aren't healthy and can't be balanced even with the best efforts of the most tryhard community to ever exist. That doesn't concern you at all? Gamefreak's power creep is fucking ridiculous, like seriously make an argument right now justifying mega-salamence and mega-kangaskan. Can you even sink that low? It's not possible to defend the invention of those ridiculous pokemon because it is indefensible. There are more to come, just wait. Gamefreak tries to outdo themselves every new generation, I'm horrified to think of what they will create next.
>>
File: 5Mc0Xy3.png (2 MB, 2306x1459) Image search: [Google]
5Mc0Xy3.png
2 MB, 2306x1459
>>24687443
>seriously make an argument right now justifying mega-salamence and mega-kangaskan
They'll say "they're balanced in VGC!"
>>
>>24687487
2014 was so dank
ban legendaries imo
>>
>>24687503
>legendaries are somehow magically bad!

I love this meme

ban legendaries, and you know what happens? Everyone just uses another same group of Pokemon that's the next best and a bunch of Pokemon are pointlessly banned
>>
>>24687529
man i'm just trying to figure out what made 2015 so shit compared to 2014
>>
>>24687443
Nothing, absolutely NOTHING is stopping Smogon from banning broken megas. Their existence changes fucking nothing. The new megas isn't what is killing Smogon. The majority playerbase hating Smogon for labeling their bros based on tiers is.

Also retarded shit like the Swagger ban is straight up Smogon shooting themselves in the foot. Even most of their own supporters didn't agree with that.
>>
>>24687541
You're really bad at arguing dude. You don't even have a clear point, just your raw feelings about the situation. "SMOGON BAD BECAUSE MUH FEELERS HURT!!!"
Nobody cares.

You're admitting that there are other broken megas that should be banned? Why are you arguing for me? Do you really think the game is healthy when, to play any balanced format that doesn't involve primal groudon, you have to ban 50+ non-legendary pokemon to have fun? That sounds like a balanced and healthy metagame to you? And if you allow these ridiculous non-legendary pokemon to exist, such as M-Kang and M-Salamence, the game is totally centralized around those top 3 pokemon, which can wipe entire teams by themselves? This is fun to you?

You still fail to grasp my point, you are a fool.
>The majority playerbase hates smogon for "labeling their bros based on tiers" is hurting the game!!!!
You fucking idiot. If you would take 1 step back from the situation you would realize that you agree with me. Smogon isn't crafting the game you fucking fool. You just got done telling me that. Smogon isn't "labeling anyone's bros", they are merely looking at what gamefreak has created and describing what they see.

Smogon says "Gamefreak created this pokemon. Let's look at its power. Well, it's way too powerful to allow in X format". It's not a "label" it's a fucking factual description. It's a plain fact that mega-salamence is too powerful to be handled by other OU pokemon. How is that "labeling"? How does that make Smogon "evil"? They're just dealing with the cards they've been dealt, they aren't the ones who are sending "people's bros" into obscurity. GAMEFREAK IS DOING THAT. That has been my fucking point this entire fucking time you goddamn idiot. You should be mad at GAMEFREAK for making the most broken fucking shit that pokemon has ever seen, and continues to one-up themselves every single game. Why the fuck are you mad at smogon? they aren't doing anything.
>>
>>24687487
>>24687503
Why are there weird pokemon like magmar and rhyhorn in there? What benefit do they serve rather than evolving them?
>>
>>24687661
Eviolite changes everything.
That may be why they don't want to do new evos any more.
There's nothing they could do that wouldn't make the old Pokemon with Eviolite much better.
>>
>>24686617
Sure it does.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.