[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WARGAMING GENERAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vg/ - Video Game Generals

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Gary Grigsby's War in the east.jpg (305 KB, 1200x752) Image search: [Google]
Gary Grigsby's War in the east.jpg
305 KB, 1200x752
Wargaming general anyone?

This is not the same as GSG, as much as I like those games, they are simplistic compared to actual wargames.

HoI3 is probably the most "complex" GS game currently out there, yet even that pales in comparison to "proper" wargames.

Really, once you have figured them out most GS games they just become map paint simulators. This is in large due to poor AI, realtime aspects and reducing aspects of war/logistics to arbitrary sliders/numbers.

This isn't always a bad thing, it allows the game to e picked up and learned faster and allows more casual games. HoI3 isn't really that hard to learn, you optimize sliders and make sure your front stays intact. You can nearly ignore both naval and air aspects for all countries save Japan and the US. Again, not a bad thing, it allows you to finish a campaign in <1 week.

However, I would like a thread about the more "hardcore", for lack of a better word, side of wargaming.

Is there any interest in these games? Is there a steamgroup any of you know of dedicated to them? If no, would it be an idea to set one up? Some sort of /vg/ wargaming steamgroup, as a way to find players to play against, then come back here to post the games in a wargaming general (AAR style, without the reddit tier autism that usually goes along with them).

I combed the catalog before starting this thread, and there was nothing about these kind of games, so maybe there is no interest at all, it is a niche genre after all.

Anyway, rattled on for far too long, wargaming general gogo.
>>
>>125234218
>>HoI3 is probably the most "complex" GS game currently out there, yet even that pales in comparison to "proper" wargames.
Yeah it was my first paradox game after seeing so many people ranting about how it's so complex and hard, I was really disappointed.
But what's the alternative? A good wargame set in WW2?
>>
>>125235229
Well the pic I posted in the OP is (as the filename says) from War in the east. It is set in WW2 and spans Berlin to Moscow and Leningrad to Caucasus, it spans 100 miles or so further than that, but those are the points of interest (basically the area you can see in the lower left of the pic).

There is no building and no research, it isn't realtime but rather IGOUGO and each turn spans a week. It is one of the most detailed operational level wargames currently out there and focuses purely on military and its associated logistics. No need to worry about keeping your people at home happy by adjusting a consumer slider every 5 minutes (god I hated that feature in HoI3).

WitE also includes "smaller" scenarios (will still take quite a while to complete those).

Furthermore it is available on steam, it comes with a relatively hefty pricetag, but it is well worth the investment imo as it isn't a game that will really age, not for the next 10-20 years I reckon.

Of course this is but one of many different wargames, I mainly mention it because of its scale, its detail, its focus on military and the fact that it is available on Steam.
>>
>>125234218
Reminders for people interested:

No game from matrix runs propperly in win10, most are playable with some tinkering.
>>
>>125023486
>>
>>125244441
That thread is for shitty RTSs, not actual wargames.
>>
>>125245598
That's not even remotely true
They talk about actual wargames all the time
>>
>>125245751
Wargame: Red Dragon isn't a wargame.
>>
>>125240516
Good to know, didn't realize this, then again I don't use win10.

>>125244441
I saw that game, none of the games mentioned in that thread are wargames.

>wargame: red dragon
Ya, the word is in the title, but the game is as arcady as they come.

I am talking about wargaming, not games about war.

Sqaudleader
Case blue
Panzer General (on that note I would advise anyone completely new to these type of games to start with this, it is probably one of the more simple wargames available and is highly enjoyable, it also has a ton of community made shit to go along with it)
About 50% of the games by Matrix/Slitherine
etc.

In fact, I would go as far and say that 90% of games that are realtime disqualify as wargames. The moment the speed and accuracy of your mouseclicks starts playing a role it stops being a wargame. Does this make it a bad game? No, I love starcraft for instance, always have done and always will. By no means is that a wargame though, despite it being about war.

So that is why I made this thread, to discuss "pure" wargames.
>>
>>125246426
>Flashpoint is not a wargame
>CMANO is not a wargame
Fuck off
>>
>>125246426
>I saw that game
I saw that THREAD*
>>
>>125235882
Thanks, game looks what I wanted but is also quite pricey, I'll wait for the winter sale on Steam in hopes I can grab it for lower.
>>
File: WARGAME_RED-DRAGON_Screenshot_1.jpg (205 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
WARGAME_RED-DRAGON_Screenshot_1.jpg
205 KB, 1000x562
1st for wargames
>>
>>125246516
Flashpoint no, CMANO yes.
But lets get real here, nobody is discussing CMANO in the thread you linked. OP mentioned it, and that was it, people are not discussing wargames in that thread.

Again, a game that covers war, doesn't make it a wargame.
>>
>>125247363
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/471/details/Flashpoint.Campaigns:.Red.Storm.Player's.Edition
Fuck off again
>>
>>125246847
I believe you can get it for a lot less on g2a, 20€ or so (assuming you are EU based). Of course, it being g2a, it is a "purchase at own risk" kind of deal.

Another alternative is War in the pacific, the predecessors to War in the east and War in the west. It is currently on sale at Matrix games for slightly under 30 euros. It isn't available on steam, however you can download it from matrixgames (i.e. you don't ave to order a disc and wait for that to arrive, of course you CAN order a physical copy if that is what you prefer)
>>
>>125247719
My bad, thought you were referring to Operation Flashpoint, the shooter.

Again though, nobody in that thread is actually discussing any of those games, OP made a thread to discuss all sorts of games that cover war. It is only natural that that leads to games such as Wargame: Red dragon being discussed over actual wargames such as CMANO and Flashpoint Campaigns, simply because they are more popular.

I honest to god don't understand what is upsetting you so much, you seem to enjoy the wargaming genre, at least that is the impression you give. Yet you are opposed to having a thread dedicated to them. If the thread just "includes" wargames, rather than being purely dedicated to them, then the thread will get flooded with the more popular games, like I said, it is only natural for that to happen.
>>
>>125247039
Fun, but not a wargame, despite its title.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.