[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/rpgmg/ RPG Maker General #154
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vg/ - Video Game Generals

Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 27
Work on your goddamn game edition

Trial Download: http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/free-trials/trial-rpg-maker-mv
Trial Mirror: https://mega.nz/#!HNRDmQKS!6YhUUEA3YpRYEaruDgfUmFD2kZcOB7pv3rSssUOM2bs

[MV] Base Resources, Cover Art DLC, Essentials DLC and Pre-order Plugins:
http://pastebin.com/QtQnqvf5 (embed)
[MV] Season Pass DLC
https://mega.nz/#!Yo5AlLxZ!yzS3PMn144EGsj9LMnXeaaJ_ZxyTGgbIvFf3Y4Z0YRw
https://mega.nz/#!ZxhjiaBD!lGIZEztZ8fhyyl9NuEoQ_TDw0BGa0LB6wEaSxmY01lo
[VX/Ace] Humble Bundle DLC:
https://mega.co.nz/#F!eJQEWLiC!Y66_MZgvuwB2ZUn2m6GzSQ

/rpgmg/ Wikia
http://rpgmg-games.wikia.com/wiki//rpgmg/_Games_Wikia
Getting started
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14ignTofv_bDRVHPUk9_sEpLUjuFyxpuy2Cr9mXDwkb0/
Storyline Creator
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dtlzmd145cr4sz6/SLC.zip
Art Resources
http://pastebin.com/FgVGxTqW (embed)
Updated DLC Pastebin
http://pastebin.com/D1Nr8Zwd (embed)
Pixel Art Tutorials
http://pastebin.com/SuXCN3pf (embed)
Other useful resources
http://pastebin.com/TyAHmtW4 (embed)

[MV] Plugin Releases
http://mvplugins.com/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
http://rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List

Collection of old RPGM games
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing

The /rpgmg/ podcast (Updated every other Wednesday):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A
>>
>work on your goddamn games

Well obviously that's happening, since nobody's posting here.
>>
What is the difference between lake and sea water tiles?

Right now I am making sea water have more contrast between light/dark areas to show it is moving more, but when looking at both tiles in the same map, they look like they could easily replace one another.

I think I'll try making sea water considerably darker as well.
>>
>>147054198
Not my fault the thread keeps dying when I'm sleeping.
>>
>>147054314
The smaller boat vehicle can't go on deep sea tiles
>>
File: season-pass-sneak1.png (580 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
season-pass-sneak1.png
580 KB, 1000x563
>Season Pass DLC 3 is one tileset

Wow am I glad I didn't pay for that.
Heaven help you if you dare speak ill of it on the rpgmakerweb forums, too.
They banned me once before for saying the season pass didn't seem worth the money.
>>
>>147056181
according to the blue squirrel fag a if they were translating time into opportunity costs it would be like $3000 for a tileset.

I call bullshit of course, but that's how much they see it as being worth.
>>
>>147056874
As someone who's throwing together a smaller resolution tileset themselves, that cost could be appropriate if you were commissioning the tileset.
At $5/tile, $3000 would get you 600 tiles, which would get you 2 and a bit B-style pages, or all the stuff for an A page plus change depending on how you count animating the water and whatnot. Of course, if each tile was cheaper you'd be getting more.
How much is in the tileset, anyway?

On a different note, those tracks seem awfully small for the train [which itself looks way too big for the characters there]
>>
File: RTSZA0E.jpg (276 KB, 800x969) Image search: [Google]
RTSZA0E.jpg
276 KB, 800x969
>>147056874
>if they were translating time into opportunity costs it would be like $3000 for a tileset.
Sure, if it was custom made I could believe that. But this tileset isn't tailor made for the person buying it (ie subscribers) and that lowers its worth.
Those train tiles are worth a couple of $100 or so, if you commissioned them. It'd be stretch to say the whole tileset is worth $1000, no matter $3000.
I think that's poor argument on Shaz's part. I mean, you're technically getting a good deal (if you consider the raw man power it took to make it and other competing artist's prices), but it's for something many people don't necessarily want or need. It's like buying those Lootbox things: sure, the items inside are worth more than $30, but you don't know what you're getting before hand and more than likely you want even want half of what's in the box.
It's unfair to put down people that are disappointed. To people who can't use these tiles/don't match their game, they're not worth $3000.
>>
>>147057495
>>On a different note, those tracks seem awfully small for the train [which itself looks way too big for the characters there]
I just noticed that after I posted my reply to >>147056181. Look at the train doors: they're for two tile high characters. Real nice. This even further limits the amount of people who can use it.
>>
>>147057721
Two tile doors are the bane of my existence right now. I'm trying to figure out a workaround. I'm thinking I'll edit one of my wall tilesets to include the doors and keep them static, because at this point I just want fucking doors.
>>
>>147056181
>>147057721
>those tracks seem awfully small for the train

Holy shit, if we're going by that image then the train is only one tile wide. What the fuck.
>>
>>147055660
I meant more like, how can I visually inform the player about the difference between lake and sea.
>>
Don't let this thread die again, you hear!
>>
>>147056181
>>147059724
Holy shit you guys are right! What a fucking mess.
>>
>>147058031
and now i have doors instead of stand in tiles
i am the champion and the doors-as-characters system can suck it
>>
>Kaduki killed his website again, except this time so he can put the resources he already made and released for free behind a Patreon-like subscription paywall
Why does he keep doing this?
>>
>>147064519
I don't even want to know how you're having these issues. Just use the door quick event and choose the two tile-high door you want to put in.
>>
>>147064617
His resources are very popular. Pretty much everyone in the community has used his stuff at some point. It's understandable he'd like to make some money out of it.
>>
>>147064617
I'd understand if he put his new resources behind a paywall, but stuff that's years old? That's kinda dickish, even if it is all his own work.
>>
>>147064617
Is it even commercial approved if you subscribe? I seem to remember that was totally forbidden for all his resources.
>>
>>147056874
>opportunity costs.
>counting chickens before they hatch.
>Get an Art degree they said; You'll make a lot of money they said.
>>
>>147065204
are you kidding me it looks fine when you play it? it looked fucked on the tile screen so i never bothered to test it.

oh well, what's done is done.
>>
>>147056874
Shaz is such a fucking tool.
>>
>>147054314
The sea is deeper, so it should be darker in color than the lake.
>>
>>147064617
Who?
>>
>>147059724
The RTPs aren't exactly stellar with realistic proportions -- case in point, vehicles, trees and houses. I don't see what makes it different.
>>
>>147059724
Quick, someone make a mock-up of the train from front-view.
>>
>>147072037
>>
So Victor released an ATB plugin : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPz0P5o7PUE

Time to switch from Yanfly to Victor?
>>
>>147075883
Depends on whether you want Active Time Battle or not. Personally, I much prefer CTB, but ATB could be useful in games where you want the player to feel more tense.
>>
>>147075883
Very cool
>>
>>147076110
I prefer CTB, too. I also think it's not worth giving up Yanfly's Battle Engine Core worth anything. The amount of special effects I do depend so heavily on Yanfly's Battle Engine Core. From the row formations to selection control to the buffs and states, there's too many valuable things you lose out on if you switch to Victor that it's not worth it at all.
>>
>>147071235
Because at the very least a house and tree has "depth" via optical illusion (i.e. even though the depth of the house can't be determined by our viewpoint, the height of the house implies it's depth.)

Whereas with the train, we have a direct reference to how deep it is - the tracks. The tracks = the depth of the train. And the tracks = the depth of one ordinary human being in this case. Therefore, we can infer that the depth of the train = the depth of one human being.

It's absolutely ridiculous. The tracks needed to be 3 tiles wide.
>>
>>147054332
This. Please stop dying while I'm asleep.
>>
>>147077662
I don't agree with you. The tree has absolutely 0 depth. As an artist I absolutely hate the proportions and perspective in the RTP.

The tracks are 48x48, which is the same size as the normal human body in RTP land. Here is the scale of a human lying down on train tracks. It makes sense that train tracks are only one tile.

I don't feel like arguing but everything about the RTP is questionable.
>>
>>147078841
>The tracks are 48x48, which is the same size as the normal human body in RTP land. Here is the scale of a human lying down on train tracks. It makes sense that train tracks are only one tile.
Except the train is drawn to be in proportion to 2 tile tall characters. Take a look at the door.
So the tracks should be 2 tiles wide (by your reckoning).

The proportions in the rtp is fucked though, you're right.
>>
>>147078841
A train track is roughly = to a human LAYING DOWN ON THE TRACKS.
A human standing up is not the same width as a human laying down.
>>
>>147071235
>Not stellar
The forced perspective is really amateurish.
>>
>>147079790
>Except the train is drawn to be in proportion to 2 tile tall characters. Take a look at the door.
> The proportions in the rtp is fucked though, you're right.

The fact of the matter is, the sprites are 48x48 so they have to remain 48x48 to be consistent with the rest of the assets And I say consistent very loosely. I don't doubt they added smaller doors, Case in point -- RTP itself.

If we really want to rail on the asset, then the train should be thinner and adjusted. But I doubt it would be as 'visually interesting.'
>>
>>147079883
Have you made an RTP character 'lie down' in that perspective? It's the same size, it does not matter.
>>
>>147080408
But that's due to the RTP being shit.
There's no excuse for the train track to only be one tile.
>>
>>147081006
>If we really want to rail on the asset, then the train should be thinner and adjusted.
>>
>>147081006
Not him but I agree, it looks way off like this.
>>
File: oblique styles_zpsjkkuunqt.png (2 KB, 115x126) Image search: [Google]
oblique styles_zpsjkkuunqt.png
2 KB, 115x126
>>147080408
Only if it's a Cavalier projection. In which the Y & Z axis are equal.
It's suppose to be Cabinet. You distort the Z axis.
If it was Military you distort the Y axis.
>>
File: train.png (456 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
train.png
456 KB, 1000x563
>>147080280
>If we really want to rail on the asset, then the train should be thinner and adjusted.
What? Why should it be thinner? The problem with the characters and tracks vs the train is that the proportions are different. The train is in proportion to 2 tile tall characters. If they wanted the train to be in proportion to the rtp, they should make the train shorter. At the moment, it's too tall and that throws it out of whack with everything else, including the track.
I made a really ugly edit to show what I mean. I've reduced the train's height to 50% and now it fits on the track. Dunno how they managed to fuck this up. Did they just make a screenshot with the wrong train? It's there a 1 tile high character train included too, that I don't know about?

>>147080408
The rtp characters are not drawn directly face on. They're drawn from a slightly elevated angle similar to SNES Final Fantasy games. This means they appear shorter than they actually would be, if drawn face on.
So yeah, they would be longer if they were laying down.

>>147081120
I saw your pun and I'm not amused.
>>
File: ididntwanttoarguebutlol.png (661 KB, 1000x494) Image search: [Google]
ididntwanttoarguebutlol.png
661 KB, 1000x494
>>147081398
>What? Why should it be thinner? The problem with the characters and tracks vs the train is that the proportions are different. The train is in proportion to 2 tile tall characters.

Sorry but no, that is not what I meant by thinner. Don't put words into my mouth.
>>
>>147081006
Because it's meant for a mine cart, not a train.
Ya'll are dinguses.
>>
>>147081795
Yeah I'm leaving this talk, I don't feel like having the discussion but my point was RTP is shit anyway with proportions it's an odd argument to be having.

I would agree with the train tracks to be 1 and a half tiles but that would make the train look like a giant so whatever.
>>
>>147081795
So where's the actual train tracks?
>>
Bump so this thread can keep derailing
>>
bjmp
>>
Don't die on me like /jrpg/
>>
>>147084978
So is this our new meme? Train puns?
>>
>>147082631
"the developer" did a hack job and skipped quality assurance testing.

They have no business calling themselves "official"
>>
>>147085731
maybe
if we can keep on track with it
>>
>>147070201
VERY popular artist who makes RPG Maker resources and also made the most popular sideview script for VX pre-Ace. If you look at a mobile app store, you're sure to find games that use his sprites.
>>
>>147081792
Is the bottom how you think it should look? That still has the problem of the top of the train being 2 tiles wide and the track being 1 tile wide.
>>
File: lighthouses.png (5 KB, 165x278) Image search: [Google]
lighthouses.png
5 KB, 165x278
>>147085731
For a while at most. It's not that fun.

For what it's worth, I'm sometimes having perceptual issues with the perspective in general.

While pixel sketching about, I instinctively drew the top right lighthouse. The top left one does seem out of place with its full surface circle being visible, but that's what the perspective would roughly dictate.
>>
So what happened to the collab game? Is it finally done?
>>
>>147089983
Presumably got left out of the OP

>/rpgmg/ Chain/Collaboration Game!
>Status: Pt. 14 (The Real Finale) is in development.

>Done with their part:
>- RPG Maker Maker !!nHmJbtdk7T2
>- Cortop !QqL8nX9URE
>- Duwang !yP15zzo8dA
>- MEands !!sbyw5zs4GtT
>- Alexander Guy !swIUti/LTA
>- salt !AOUYhrDYgU
>- Double Anon !WAnon.pOpQ
>- Crunch !I1tYcLS8Ts
>- Comp !MEJ8qE/3h
>- Silent Maid !ztOzYBnEEw
>- Joakim Morgen !!4elh6dhvavq
>- W.T.Dinner !LTqeha3bQk
>- Firgof !aFqhsxkECQ

>Currently working:
>Bubbles !u696zUYxpM

>Version 13B: http://www.mediafire.com/download/89tsrb5ka31g36h/rpgmgcollab_v13B.zip
as of last thread's OP
>>
>>147090517
Who is Bubbles? Never seen him.

>the Collab might be getting sold by IP Builders as we speak. ;_;
>>
>>147088265
Feel that something in between the two on the top, but with the tower the left one has, would work best.
>>
File: 1.3bubbles.png (620 KB, 700x527) Image search: [Google]
1.3bubbles.png
620 KB, 700x527
>>147091967
This is Bubbles of course
>>
>>147091967
They don't even call themselves IP-Builders anymore. Their name became so toxic among the RPG Maker community that they go by EQ Games now.
>>
Post progress
>>
>>147098154
I can't. I was convinced to pick up Granblue Fantasy yesterday, and now I haven't made any progress since.
>>
Can you make a Terranigma/Zelda-style RPG with RPG Maker and make it feel fluid?
>>
>>147100278
Yes, but it's not worth the effort. Just use Zelda Classic / Game Maker / anything else instead.
>>
>>147100278
Yes.
Zelda ABS script gives you all the tools you need to make a zelda-styled game and the 8-way movement script with added sprinting makes it possible to walk everywhere. Why?
>>
>>147098154
>>
>>147101128
I take it this person got lost on their way to the Viridian City NPC auditions.
>>
>>147091967
He checked in once or twice after signing up. I haven't seen him lately, though.

Bubbles, if you're alive, say so!
>>
File: 2HighDoorCompare.png (32 KB, 390x185) Image search: [Google]
2HighDoorCompare.png
32 KB, 390x185
>>147064519
Oh I remember you from last thread. Did you get my reply about the doors being 2high even if it's showing as 1 in the Editor? You are playtesting to see if it reflects right ingame, right? Because the Editor won't show you everything 100% as it will be ingame, obviously. Just making sure!
>>
The empire takes banditry very seriously
>>
>>147105549
>No General Leo, it's a trap! Kefka's going to kill you!

Seriously, that picture reminds me hardcore of Thamasa itself, and the Empire invading it when General Leo dies in ff6.
>>
File: snake (50).webm (2 MB, 816x624) Image search: [Google]
snake (50).webm
2 MB, 816x624
>>147105549
>>147105856
Working on the scene leading up to this moment.

Basically, this is a flashback showing how and why two of the main characters left their old gang.
>>
>>147107069
Bill isn't a very Leaderlike name. Also, having the white haired guy walk into the blackness kinda hurts immersion, maybe remove a single "walk down" from that part and have him disappear on the exit tile like the player does.
>>
>>147107268
I'll consider the exit tile thing, thanks.

>Bill isn't a very Leaderlike name

His full title is "Blacktooth Bill." I just thought I'd said the full name too many times already in a previous monologue. Also, the white haired guy is basically the only one in the gang not intimidated by him, so I thought it would make sense for him to refer to him more casually.
>>
>>147107487
Makes a lot more sense with the backstory then, carry on!
>>
>>147100629
Making a Zelda like in Gamemaker is easy. It's been done so many times.
>>
Is the water lag in MV caused by loading times? I am experimenting with my custom tileset, and not getting lag at all. The biggest difference between my tileset and the game's so far is that mine is about 20$ of the one in the RTP.
>>
>>147112060
>20$
20%, I meant.
>>
>>147107069
If you can, make a special black tile that goes above actors, and place them just beyond the exit. That way, actors don't just suddenly disappear.
>>
Remember to make back ups of your projects
>>
>>147107268
>Bill isn't a very Leaderlike name
There are some who call me... Tim
>>
>>147112060
Did they patch to help alleviate the animated tiles lag? Are you comparing a project with an old version's scripts to one with new ones?
>>
>Have every name set except for the most important NPC
Fuck
This annoys me greatly.
>>
>>147115424
Not the same guy, but I still get lag with animated tiles on my map.
>>
>>147115732
Describe this person
>>
>>147116837
Mh, some kind of mentor character who doesn't want a mentee but rather a partner who he can trust.
Is actually super depressed by the loss of his former partner but somewhat happy that he can show the MC some things.
>>
>>147118158
Is he supposed to have a meaningful name, or rather a fitting name?
For the former, I, myself, would twist foreign languages. For the latter, I'd seek inspiration from somewhat similar characters and whether their name fits them.
>>
>>147115424
No, I haven't updated my RPG Maker MV, and yes. The same map, with the RTP tiles lags, while the one with my tiles doesn't.
>>
>>147118767
The thing is I'm not going whack with fantasy names, I'm keeping everything "normal" and coherent.
>>
File: 1446864344548.gif (21 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1446864344548.gif
21 KB, 125x125
https://soundcloud.com/mondo-nugget/mystic-future-betrayal-eq-practice

If the anon that told me about the frequencies and pitch is around, give this a listen and tell me if that's what you meant and if it sounds any better. I cleaned it up some and tweaked the bass a bit.
>>
What is going to be the most memorable moment in your game?
>>
>>147121506
The moment when you find out who the true villain is. I predict that at least 70% of all players will literally shit their pants in shock at that very moment.
>>
File: 57936967.jpg (105 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
57936967.jpg
105 KB, 500x500
>>147100278
This is my whole summer so far and it's getting worst. Ignorance isn't amusing anymore, it's scary.

Is it the graphics? Top-down perspective = Rpgs? Is that what people think? We're failing somewhere and it needs to be corrected.
>>
>>147121506
The moment where you can either betray your party or do the right thing.
>>
>>147115773
>>147118918
Thanks, just wondering. Hopefully someone figures it out, or the switch to PIXI 3 will help.
>>
>>147122371
Not him but what is PIXI 3?
>>
>>147120204
You don't need to dive into the realm of fantasy names, either. Plenty of modern names have their origins in old Greek, Roman, or maybe even Sumerian words and bring in meaning that way.

Alexander, for example:
>Latinized form of the Greek name Αλεξανδρος (Alexandros), which meant "defending men" from Greek αλεξω (alexo) "to defend, help" and ανηρ (aner) "man" (genitive ανδρος).
>>
>>147123029
Source being
>http://www.behindthename.com/name/alexander
>>
File: 1371353567767.jpg (13 KB, 165x165) Image search: [Google]
1371353567767.jpg
13 KB, 165x165
>fiddling with an SMT / Dragon Quest Monster design
>everything is a workaround nightmare
Fucking shit. RPG Maker was not made with Pokemon-esque games in mind.
>>
>>147123685
You can easily do Dragon Quest V monster recruiting, though.
>>
>>147124486
Ugh, but that's gay.
>>
>>147122993
Pixi is the library rmmv uses for graphics stuff.
>>
>>147124770
Depends on what you want. Doing Pokemon/DQM/SMT with a focus on the monsters is hard, but if you just want a very customizable party, with a story that focuses on your loner MC and his world, then I don't think monster recruiting is that bad an idea.

Moreover, while the engine doesn't really allow you to do breeding and fusions whatsoever without having to more or less rewrite the entire engine for level up, stat calculation, ability learning and possibly even combat, you don't really need to breed and fuse to customize your monsters, when you can take advantage of the things that you DO have available and those games do not (Classes and Equipment).
>>
>>147125027
That makes much more sense than a smartphone.
>>
File: Sequence 01_1.webm (3 MB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
Sequence 01_1.webm
3 MB, 1440x810
>>147098154
Worked out the logic for a puzzle that requires you to light four torches in a specific order or else they all go out. Dialog not final.
>>
>>147127568
That approach may not be the best. Most puzzles in that vein would "blow out the torches" the minute you choose the wrong one, not wait till you light them all before telling you if it's right or wrong. That borders on the Tedious instead of Puzzle.
>>
>>147127702
You aren't meant to just keep trying random combinations until you get it right, there are hints around the dungeon that help you figure out the order. I had it so that they blow out immediately originally but I got the feeling it was easier to solve that way because you notice one out of the four doesn't blow out instantly and it becomes process of elimination from there. You might be right though. I'll see how it's received in testing
>>
How do I shorten my cutscenes? I keep wanting to add really short cutscene to explain what's going on, but I end up with at least a minute of text boxes every time. Any ideas? Should I just not explain some things, or is over-explaining better? Bear in mind that I'm using RPG Maker 2, so "show, don't tell" is extremely hard to pull off.
>>
>>147128782
If it's mechanics, a yes/no prompt for every tutorial would be nice. Maybe even ask at the beginning if the player want to see tutorials and shut them all off with a switch if they say no. If it's story, non-essential information can be delivered by NPCs, item/enemy descriptions, in game books etc.
>>
File: mako wink.gif (797 KB, 583x328) Image search: [Google]
mako wink.gif
797 KB, 583x328
100% noob here, played like 4 hours of yume nikki otherwise nothing since childhood

is making these games essentially using assets from the DLC's like from the OP and then like placing them down into your game world, and then also using scripting to make the assets/characters do things essentially? not even beginning to get into story/profile popups for characters and stuff

im assuming its really uncommon for people to create their own art assets right? still obviously easier than any other platform to make a game though

besides this cool collab game ill check out (>>147090517) has anyone from the chans/this general made a game i could play?

cool to see you guys discussing this though, and get insight into how it all works either way
>>
>>147104030
Still alive, but things have been slow since I've been so busy. Sorry for the hold ups, still trying to get this thing out as fast as possible.
>>
If I want to make a turn based RPG based off of superheroes with no art ability, what should I do?
>>
>>147130427
You could make a game without scripting anything, though that game might end up pretty bland unless you're amazing at using the built in event system.

It's not really that uncommon for people to create their own assets. What's uncommon is for people to use only their own created assets. Most people mix and match, grab a DLC pack or commission some stuff, then add onto it to make sure they got what they need for their game.

The collab's pretty cool. I made Celia's Quest, it's on Steam and 80% off during the sale. Some other guy here made Dashbored, which is also on Steam. I think there's a few other finished games floating around though I can't remember them right now.
>>
>>147130427
Welcome to our very ded general.
I think most people here actually create their own assets or edit the RTP, otherwise you are limiting yourself a lot.
Scripts change a lot of stuff, most scripts are for changing/adding to the battle system I think.
The maker itself is kinda easy to use but hard to master, you can make really crazy things.

As for games from here check out DashBored on Steam. He recently finished it and you may or may not like it.
>>
Where is the IRC or discord?
>>
How do you like your spell names? I'm torn between English names like "Inferno" and "Icicle" or vaguely Latin-sounding stuff like "vitae" for a cure spell.

All the mages in the country (except for illegal wild magic users) are taught at the same university, so I guess spell names should feel somewhat logical.

Maybe Latin-y names with a prefix indicating whether a spell is single target or multitarget and a suffix indicating how strong the spell is?
>>
So since they never fixed MV, how long do you think it'll be before we get a new RPG Maker?
>>
>>147134109
I think I prefer Latin sounding stuff. Heal sounds much more boring than Sanatio.
You could also take another approach and make up some "magic words" you can mix to get different casts.
>>
>>147135362
What do you mean never fixed? They've improved it heaps since its release, and there's another patch in the works. It was superior to Ace on release and it's only gotten better, its only real downsides are that toasters can't run it and people haven't made as many resources for it yet.
>>
>>147135969
>What do you mean never fixed?
I've checked it countless times since release and the biggest issues were never resolved.

>It was superior to Ace on release
LOOOOOOL

>its only real downsides are that toasters can't run it
lmao stop. You're trying so hard but stop.
It's not just toasters. Machines that had trouble with it were pretty much random.

There is no excuse for a 2D RPG-making toy to run like shit on a PC that can play next-gen games in 60fps.

Shit like the BGM not loading and certain file formats not working or crashing the Maker were never fixed, and some shit like that qtwebengine.exe process weren't even MENTIONED outside of some random assholes' threads on the official forums.

It's a busted piece of shit built from the ground up for kiddy shit like phones, and I'm simply asking when we're getting another real RPG maker built for computers, not toys.
>>
>>147131868
>DashBored

>egoraptor tier visuals
>"le transported to a new dimension and gained powers!!" plot taken from every generic shounen

>>147131798
>Celia's Quest
i like the attempt at avoiding the typical rpg levelling system

the game description page on steam reeked of Anon though, does anyone besides us even use the term "grimdark"?

wouldn't play these in any case because im more into the yume nikki surreal games desu

thanks for the info on scripting, didnt realize it wasnt even 100% necessary that makes it a lot more accessible to noobs, a built in event system sounds cool

might take a look at making a game of my own after i play some more, thanks for the replies
>>
>>147137685
Ace has lots of framerate issues too, suboptimal event handling, and is a barely working engine at all without a shit ton of scripts. Vanilla MV is much better than vanilla VX Ace, who is actually a super patched version of VX in the first place, so it's like comparing an engine with years of patching to an engine that was recently released, which is hardly fair. Some people will always be incompetent enough to run into issues with programs, MV is no exception. Fact is most people have it running flawlessly, and while some design choices are strange it is overall a vast improvement over VX Ace's inane limitations and shitty code language.
>>
>>147137740
>Celia's Quest

Thanks for the uh... steam store page feedback, I guess. Grimdark is a term used in most gaming groups I'm part of at least, which is why I chose to use it.

I personally don't understand why people enjoy stuff like Yume Nikki, but to each their own I guess. And you're welcome.
>>
>>147135378
Latin or other exotic sounding stuff is cool, but think about usability, too. The more complicated the name, the harder it will be to remember what it does. It makes it more difficult for the player to quickly find a spell in a long list and it's tedious to keep reading the descriptions.
Case in point: Phantasy Star with names like Foi, Res, Zio, Deband and so on. After a while you get used to the names, but it creates an odd difficulty hurdle that doesn't really need to be there.

>>147137740
>egoraptor tier visuals
>"le transported to a new dimension and gained powers!!" plot taken from every generic shounen
Your honesty is appreciated, but that sort of attitude isn't going to encourage people to offer you to play their games.
>inb4 hugbox
>>
>>147138478
>barely working engine at all without a shit ton of scripts
This is a joke, or an outright lie. Ace sans scripts functions perfectly well, and does everything MV does sans plugins save for sideview and higher res. MV, meanwhile, can't manage to draw water tiles without melting phones.
>comparing an engine with years of patching to an engine that was recently released, which is hardly fair
Who cares about being "fair"? All that matters is what is. Consumers who pay for software do not owe anything to developers. You expect shit to work when you buy it, not five years later.
>shitty code language
This is your only valid point. JS blows RGSS3 out of the water twenty times over. It has nothing to do with the vanilla versions, so I'm not sure why you mentioned it, but it is nonetheless very true.
>>
>wake up
>rpgmg in page 10
>>
>>147128782
Take a hint from scriptwriting, or Game Boy RPGs: What exactly are you trying to get across? Strip it down to the essentials. Most dialogue should be literal and advance the plot. Early scenes can have some personality, but once you lay that groundwork the player will imagne something like "The portal is opening!" to have it's own flavor.
>>
>>147128782
Separate the cutscene in several parts that the player can choose to get or not.
So, rather than having your party members butt-in with quirky jokes during the cutscene, you just have the main scene, and then allow the player to interact with NPCs and party members to know their opinion. At which point they can make quirky jokes.

>>147131448
Start practicing with your art?
I am sure you could at least get to the level of the guy drawing One Punch Man or webcomics like Order of the Stick even if you have arthritis.
>>
File: 1389390425703.png (620 KB, 384x2472) Image search: [Google]
1389390425703.png
620 KB, 384x2472
"assets that you couldn't use in something you wanted to sell because they're all ripped" bump
>>
RPGMaker is only good for h-games.
>>
>>147150861
And for making generic trash
>>
File: promisei'mnotdead.png (4 KB, 72x98) Image search: [Google]
promisei'mnotdead.png
4 KB, 72x98
Heyo, ds sprite person checking in. I promise I'm not dead and I'm working with an actual theme this time. Brace yourselves for asian inspired stuff this time around. I'm just busy right now, when it settles down I'll get more stuff done. Probably.
>>
So, I noticed my maid's 3-year-old son likes to play tablet/mobile phone rpgs simply to make the character move around a map, but he doesn't really seem to understand what happens during fights, and it got me thinking.

Would it be possible to make a RPG for young children who can't read yet? How would it be like?
>>
>>147153254
>Would it be possible to make a RPG for young children who can't read yet?
If they can't read you'd need voice acting.
>How would it be like?
Bright lights, goofy noises, and easy puzzles.
>>
>>147153353
>If they can't read you'd need voice acting
Not necessarily. Most simple symbols might do, too, as long as they represent concepts the child already knows. A sword would not, at least at first, mean 'attack', but a hand could certainly be associated with touching, and so forth.
>>
File: nakayoshi n me.gif (61 KB, 500x438) Image search: [Google]
nakayoshi n me.gif
61 KB, 500x438
>>147153254
The RPG I've played with the youngest target audience would be Nakayoshi n' Me, but even that game had text. You could beat the game without reading it by stumbling around, but the intention was for you to be able to read it, I think.
NnM was already an extremely simple game that borders on not even being an RPG, so to go even younger... I don't know. It'd be tough.

A while back, I explored the idea of an RPG with no text, but I wasn't able to pull together a competent design.

On the other end of the spectrum, there's also Sorcery Saga, a dungeon crawler aimed at young audiences that has no numbers. You'd have to combine both games' approaches to make a truly preschool-friendly RPG, I think.
>>
File: 1448986124972.jpg (75 KB, 620x471) Image search: [Google]
1448986124972.jpg
75 KB, 620x471
why not learn code and make real rpg?
>>
File: Durandalface.gif.png (26 KB, 192x192) Image search: [Google]
Durandalface.gif.png
26 KB, 192x192
anyone know a game where this guy (the first face) is the hero? how common is this faceset?
>>
>>147138478
>Some people will always be incompetent enough to run into issues with programs
I'm not taking you even remotely seriously anymore and I'm not reading the rest of your reply. You are a shill.
>>
>>147156672
That faceset is a pretty version of the RPG Maker 2003 default characters.
>>
>>147156672
Isn't that the default faceset from RPG Maker 2003?

It's a really common face, there are loads of RM2K/3 games out there that use those characters
>>
>>147157151
>>147157257
damn then i'll never find the game i'm looking for
>>
>yanfly is dying
>>
>>147161502
He should just take a month or so hiatus to get his health back in order. And then after the break, go with the half release schedule he mentioned in the announcement vid.
>>
For those who don't know what >>147161502 is talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n9MrcTQrdo

Makes me feel bad I don't support him on Patreon, but I'm too broke and not in the position to.
>>
>>147154536
Are you implying rpg maker games are not "real" rpgs?
>>
>>147162434
bait.jpg
>>
>>147162375
You know, I kinda wish he would drop the whole fluffball persona thing for this. I mean it's a pretty serious matter, but it's kinda hard to take seriously with rtp music and graphics put over it.
>>
File: kids.jpg (27 KB, 300x313) Image search: [Google]
kids.jpg
27 KB, 300x313
>>147153254
A little too young to appreciate the genre. Explaining rules to a 5yo doesn't fly very well in my experience.
>"But I wanna..."
Kids make their own objectives. Action games and platforms are the way to go. High Jumps and long falls for shits and giggles.
>>
File: hug.jpg (50 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
hug.jpg
50 KB, 500x500
>>147162375
Please look after your health, Yanfly.

I love you.
Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.