[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FUCK! OK! FINE! constant FROM circle jerk everywhere. I haven't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: louiefinalepic.jpg (57 KB, 620x538) Image search: [Google]
louiefinalepic.jpg
57 KB, 620x538
FUCK! OK! FINE!

constant FROM circle jerk everywhere.

I haven't played one, but I'll start. which one should I start with. which has a better story. I'm one of the weird guys that would rather have a good (deeper/memorable) story over action or combat.

which FROM game has the best story? even if I have to dig for it
>>
>>338210565

Dark Souls 1 has a more multifaceted story that takes a longer time to dig up if you don't watch things like ENB's lorethroughs.

Bloodbornes story is a little bit easier to piece together, a little bit easier to understand, but the "punchlines" or "revelations" are never revealed. They're left intentionally vague so as to be mysterious and, whether this was intentional or not, the fact that they're intentionally vague leads the player to fill in the gaps and when that happens the gaps are usually filled by the most horrible thing the individual player can think of, as most good horror does. Bloodborne succeeds because it follows this principle. Something deliberately shown to you in full detail can be processed, understood. But there's nothing more terrifying than a presence you know is there but you can't see or fully understand.
>>
>>338210565
>I'm one of the weird guys that would rather have a good (deeper/memorable) story over action or combat
Don't waste your time with them. While the games have some degree of story and lore, they're entirely about the combat.
>>
>>338210924
>actually expecting anyone to actually take time out of their fucking lives to piece together the lore

>>338211075
this
>>
>>338211075
>some degree

Story is the sole driving force of the game. Discovery of that story is intrinsically linked to the progression of the game itself and is the only reason to play it unless you're on your next playthrough making PvP/PvE builds.
>>
Dark Souls 1 is the best in the series. I'd say the only one worth playing.
>>
>>338211263
story is not the driving force. it has shit tons of lore and background, but not story. they're very different things.
>>
>>338211552

You're right, I guess that's what I'm referring to.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that everything you do in any Souls game has absolutely no context unless you care about the story behind it, or lore, I guess. There's "story" reasons as to why the game progresses the way it does and why some bosses are where they are, why you're fighting them, etc. That stuff is important, otherwise yeah, all you're left with is the combat.
>>
Don't say FROM when you mean Souls, you fucking idiot.
God damn I like Souls games but I hate how apparently every game Fromsoft made before is unexistant.

If you want to get into From Software games, play King's Field 3 and 4, Armored Core 3, Silent Line, Nexus, Last Raven, 4, For Answer and Verdict Day, Demons' Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Dark Souls III.
I can recommend all of them.
>>
Play Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne, they're the only games you need to play.

1 and 3 are just junk food, repeat elements and add nothing to the genre or expand on the story of the first in any meaningful way.
>>
>>338212535
meant 2 and 3. My bad.
>>
Should I start with Demon or Dark?
>>
AC Last Raven is FROM's most balanced and enjoyable game ever made
>>
>>338212816
Demon's
It's too easy if you've played any other souls game
>>
>>338212386
nigga don't skip king's field 2
or king's field 1 if he doesn't mind moonspeak, for that matters
and where's metal wolf chaos or otogi, come the fuck on
>>
>>338211246
This is why demons souls has the best lore. It actually fucking tells you it's main story points instead of "le u have to figure it out... woah so deep" which is fine for smaller lore details but not for the main story. My first time through dark souls I had no clue what the fire and all that was until I watched lore videos on YouTube.
>>
>>338212816
depends if you want a dead community or a alive one.

online is a massive part of souls games and DeS is a shell of what it use to be.
>>
>>338213151
I didn't list KF 1&2 because I haven't played them yet.
MWC and Otogi are impossible to obtain come on now.
>>
>>338213190
Completely agree. I was in awe at how different Dark Souls was to Demon's. For the worse. Lore was obscure and quite frankly fucking pretentious.
>>
>>338210924
This. Bloodborne is the best, both regarding lore, atmosphere and combat. It's fucking fantastic! The only thing it lacks is build variation and a proper online system, but what it lacks in quantity it redeems with quality.

And that's coming from an elitist PC cunt who bought the PS4 only for BB. I recommend renting one instead, unless you're a fan of other Sony exclusives.
>>
demons souls story is good, but mainly focuses around the events of one kingdom and a few surrounding lands, the characters and lore surrounding them are very interesting and memorable, they feel unique, generally it has less scope than the dark souls games.

Dark Souls:

If you are playing a game in this series for the lore and story, I would personally recommend playing all 3, but if that isn't possible, and you can choose 2, make sure you choose 1 and 3, 3 acts as a continuation of the world events implied in dark souls 1 and 2, and relies much more on dark souls 1 references to give the player a anchor point at which to assess both how characters developed and how world events have developed.

It's also worth noting, that dark souls 2's lore and story is okay, but it's chunks of gold in mountains of shit, and there's a horrendous amount in the game that's basically left blank.

Dark Souls 3 is probably your safest bet for an overall "living" feeling world, as the characters and actions in the game feel much more like they are happening then rather than later.

Bloodborne's world is inbetween dark souls and demons in terms of overall scope, central "antagonist" enemies are not as fleshed out as the other games, although this is in part justified by the nature of the game's inspiration. The characters in this game have good motivations and positions in the world, but there's also a lot less of them as a focus, and generally speaking, they aren't as "fantastical" and to a degree, interesting as a result.

In terms, of living world feeling and how the game gives the player hints, Bloodborne is really good, I'd honestly say it probably is the best, but I'm still assessing Dark Souls 3, and that does it really well as well, in addition, the dlc isn't out for that yet.

If you like horror though, and more gruesome feeling lore/subplots, bloodborne is probably the way to go, but don't expect the large "mythology" like feeling dark souls and it's games give.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.