[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My opinions on Doom 4
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (168 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
168 KB, 1280x720
I've been seeing a lot of misconception about Doom on this board. People have been either treating it as a broken piece of shit, or one of the best games ever made. Both of these accusations are fucking retarded in their own ways, and should overall be ignored. I just want to give my opinions about the new game and create a bridge between the two conclusions. Really, if you are thinking about making this game a purchase, look over this first

First off, do not, and I mean DO NOT, judge this game on its multiplayer. It was outsourced to guys who made Call of Duty Ghosts and ex-Bungie employees, people who were fired for a fucking reason. The multiplayer is 100% cancer, and you should not touch it or even think about it. Its only their to harvest more money off of idiots. Multiplayer feels nothing like the singleplayer does at all, and should be disregarded. Also, Snapmap uses a lot of the same features of multiplayer, and is pretty limited in potential and tech, so its best to avoid that as well

Now, to put it nicely, Doom 4 is... above average. Its nowhere near the best game ever like idiots claim, but by god its not the worst game ever made. Its simply an average title in a wave of games that are 100x better and more newsworthy. If you get a choice between playing this, or playing Dark Souls 3, pick Dark Souls 3.

1/4
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (624 KB, 3456x1944) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
624 KB, 3456x1944
The game does plenty of things good. The pace is decent, a LOT better than the E3 trailer and god-awful Multiplayer beta, and moves the game at a fine speed. The music is... decent, and the graphics are amazing. Holy shit, this game is 100% pure eye candy. Considering the E3 trailer showed off a pissfilter, the fact this game has some of the most vibrant levels and colors I've seen in a while shows that care was put into this games graphical design. The guns are another thing this game does fucking amazingly. They're all amazing weapons to fire off and kill enemies with, and the upgrades actually make them even better! And while I thought the glory kills were going to be a problem, they are easily ignored and don't have to be used. But, this is sadly where the positives end.

The start of the game is boring. It is really, REALLY fucking slow and boring. The beginning levels consist of weak-level enemies with slow AI in tiny hallways and arenas. It takes about a good hour before the game gets decent. Yes, that is right, it takes an HOUR, for the game to actually throw you into the action. That is absolutely abysmal. However, when you do get thrown into action, its still not good enough.

The level design is, without a doubt, what tanks this game. Don't get me wrong, the labyrinth design and secret hunting is great, and shows SOMEBODY cared about this game, but you can't really say that counts when everything else is simply okay. As I said before, the game has arena segments where you are thrown into a room and have to fight off 10-20 enemies. Its not "6-7" like some faggots claim it is, but really, its not that many at all. These segments wouldn't be so bad if the levels weren't so tight and so baron, locking you in a room to fight off. It has no progression, no sense of speed, and is only hectic in the sense that you're just in an arena fighting off enemies, which is the gameplay equivalent of jumpscares in horror games. Its all cheep thrills.

2/4
>>
>1/4

I think you already made your point clear with that first post
>>
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (409 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (3).jpg
409 KB, 1920x1080
Another problem with the game are the sizes with the room. The rooms are too fucking huge for the amount of enemies they have stored in them. I'm not saying it should be tight hallways and rooms with nothing but Cyberdemons in them, not at all, but seriously, it felt like I was playing Doom 3 at times, which is the absolute worst feeling to have. The levels were giant rooms with shit scattered everywhere, pathways you can walk around and explore. This may sound good, but the problem was these rooms only had a few enemies each in them. And when I say few, I mean the distance between each enemies is insane. It will feel like you are only fighting 2-3 enemies at a time, as you will constantly have to navigate the giant rooms to pick off a few enemies. Having to explore these giant, empty rooms while picking off enemies every once a few minutes got boring really fast.

The only time I can really say the game got crazy were these rare moments when the game did throw you into a hallway or corridor with a few meaty enemies. These parts really showed off the games potential for high speed, intense action with amazing gunplay. But, showing potential is all it can do, as they have some glaring problems. First off, they're not hard, at all. Just run around and dodge for a little bit while getting in a safe distance to fire is the key to these fights, and its really not that hard of a task. Second, these fights end way to quickly, and when they end, you are most likely thrown right into the slow paced corridors again, or maybe the empty room once more. And third, compared to the original Doom, its nothing special at all.

3/4
>>
File: DOOM_LazarusSurgery_Full.jpg (2 MB, 5258x3000) Image search: [Google]
DOOM_LazarusSurgery_Full.jpg
2 MB, 5258x3000
And finally I suck off cats for a living. Owners pay top dollar.

4/4
>>
Doom 1 and 2 always kept you on your toes. You had to react fast, navigate fast, and always had a rush of energy as you were speeding through hordes of demons, rooms and dark corridors filled with enemies that you had to fuck up. It always felt like you were doing something, and you always had a surge of adrenaline doing it. However, Doom 4 doesn't give off that feeling. Instead of wiping out corridors of cacodemons and pinkies, you are simply running around in rooms full of maybe 10-11 demons. Instead of having to fight in giant rooms and navigating tight mazes with loads of enemies, you are adventuring empty rooms and shooting some baddies on the way out. Its nowhere near as energetic and hectic as Doom 1 was, and the hours of speed you got will be reduced to a few minutes. I'm not saying Doom 4 doesn't have its moments, but compared to Doom 1 and 2, they're aren't that common

Overall, Doom 4 is not a good game. However, its not a bad one. I would say wait for the game to drop to around the 20-30 dollar price point, or until someone cracks Denuvo and pirate it. The multiplayer features are absolute trash, and the singleplayer is simply fun for a little bit, but not engaging at all. The truth is, this is the kind of game would you pick up for a few hours of fun, and then never touch again. Its like a Far Cry game. However, to say this game is one of the best FPS games in years, or even worse, the best SINGLEPLAYER GAME, is a fucking insult. You need to get off your fatass and get Shadow Warrior, or Dark Souls if you unironically think this

4/4
>>
fuck off you fucking autist opinions are subjective
>>
>>337840516
>>337840659
God, Bethesdrones really are the biggest manbabies on this board
>>
I really hope this is copypasta. Otherwise this is probably the most austistic thing ive seen all month.
>>
Nice blog
>>
I whole hearted-ly agree with Map design and enemy's need some fine tuning though i'd still give it 8.2 mainly only for the SP which was very surprising
>>
What's the gunplay like? I'm still on the verge but I really need to know if shit feels good to shoot.
>>
>>337840581
>It's nowhere near as energetic and hectic as Doom 1 was

Has anyone here played Doom 1 in the past 10 years? It's hectic, but not some fast Sonic-speed mayhem like it's cracked up to be.
>>
>>337840763
>posts are numbered
>well gee, I wonder if this is copypasta!
Aren't you a god damn genius?
>>
>>337840272
>he thinks an hour is a long time

k
>>
>>337840974

>gunplay

this meme needs to die
>>
>>337840741
Nobody cares about your opinion
>>
>>337841116
Maybe you are the one who should bite the dust, buddy, I just want to know if the guns feel good to shoot.
>>
>>337840974
The gunplay is fantastic.
Shotguns, Gauss Cannon, all of those guns have a burst to them, and the enemy deaths are bloody as hell. Both of these lead to amazing guns, only improved by by upgrades that add crazy shit.

Too bad them map design makes it wasted potential

>>337840992
It doesn't need to be Sonic speed to be crazy
>>
I got a question.

Can I buy Doom on steam, family share it to another account, then login with that account, go offline, then play Doom.

After several hours of playing DOOM offline, can I get a refund?
>>
>>337840823
>8.2
The critic review system needs to die.

5/10 is average
6/10 is above average
7/10 is good
and 8-10/10 is amazing
>>
I've seen this exact same thread already, even down to some of the replies in the OP.
>>
>>337841676
prove it
>>
>>337840581
>Doom 1 and 2 always kept you on your toes. You had to react fast, navigate fast,
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

another shitty neo /v/ memer. doom 1 and 2 were easy as piss on any mode apart from nightmare, and on nightmare it was just cheap. fuck off kid, head back to that shithole circle jerk on /vr/.
>>
>>337841007
>>337840763
>this guy doesn't think my game it GOTYAYGOAT
>waaaaah copypasta
You aren't better than the people who scream shill
>>
>>337840581
>You need to get off your fatass and get Shadow Warrior
>Shadow Warrior
>A game where the guns are piss poor and has even more arenas than DOOM

Damn, should have realized sooner you were baiting me. At least I hope this is bait, if you really think Shadow Warrior 2013 is better than DOOM then I have to question your taste
>>
Guys I'm about to buy DOOM right now, but I really REALLY need to know if this is just casual shit or not
>>
File: 20160516201345_1.jpg (439 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160516201345_1.jpg
439 KB, 1920x1080
>>337840974
The first few weapons you get a little weak and not very satisfying, but when you get the alt.fire upgrades and the later weapons it becomes really fun.

Pistol is kind of weak and it's best used against grunts if you wanna save ammo
Shotgun has a grenade alt.fire which is really fun to use
Heavy Assault Rifle is okay, but once you get the chaingun there's not a lot of reason to use it.
Super Shotgun is great, and once you fully upgrade it, it becomes fucking insane.
Chaingun with the triple turret mod is fucking amazing, rips through enemies like they're made of paper
Gauss Cannon is probably my favorite new weapon, it looks great, it sounds great, it deals a lot of damage, what more could you want?
Rocket Launcher and Plasma Rifle are a bit underwhelming but can still be viable.
BFG is fucking amazing.
>>
File: 1450118350627.jpg (193 KB, 881x675) Image search: [Google]
1450118350627.jpg
193 KB, 881x675
>>337842392
>OP writes a review of the game
>guise I need a review
>>
>>337842473
OP is a faggot, though.
>>
>>337841850
>HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
>shitty neo /v/ memer
>kid

It's best if you fucked back to wherever you came from.
>>
>>337842473
Fuck off no one cares about your autismal and wildly inaccurate "review"
>>
>>337842392

There are some dumb elements like a compass and highlighting whenever an enemy is in glory kill range, but most of these things can be disabled in the options, the game itself can get challenging on higher difficulties and is quite lengthy, especially if you try to find all the secrets
>>
>>337842617
wow you almost had to address his arguments great move there
>>
>>337840035
>1/4

why do redditors do this?
>>
>>337842812
It's a twitter thing actually, stop projecting your reddit obsession onto others.
>>
Which rendering mode do you bros play on? Default or Gritty?
>>
>>337842674
>inaccurate
Boo hooo, I didn't think the game was amazing
Go be a bitch somewhere else

>>337842392
I said in the OP that Doom was an okay game.
Its not casual, just badly designed in some areas

Learn to read
>>
>>337842952
Default, never bothered to try out the others. What do they do?
>>
>>337842392
It's pretty difficult in Nightmare mode. And if you hate checkpoints there's Ultra-Nightmare which resets the entire game if you die. I like the game alot and am pretty satisfied but then again I only paid $30. If I payed the full $60 I'd be pretty pissed about shitty multiplayer and no mods.
>>
>>337843223
I was just messing around with it a few minutes ago. I like the sharpness gritty gives off.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX9be6oxxiI

Doom 4 wont stand the test of time like Doom 1 and 2 did with the online community, but as its own entry its really good. This is what Doom3 should have been.

imho, what would have saved Doom 4 would be allowing the modding community to have workshop tools and dedicated servers with custom map rotations for Versus or Co-op/Survival
>>
>>337843318
I'm still bummed out the campaign doesn't have co-op.
SnapMap kinda does but there's the annoying 2 weapon limit in that
>>
>>337843318
stop shilling your shit channel.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.