[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starcraft and old games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
File: starcraft 1.gif (122 KB, 619x370) Image search: [Google]
starcraft 1.gif
122 KB, 619x370
>Recently got starcraft 1, exploring my nostalgia
>Pic related
>feels chalky and slow
>Shit doesn't go where I want it all the time
>can only select 12 units at a time
>Depth of field is all messed up
>Pretty slow at the start
Perfectinmyeyes.jpeg
>Realize that all the units and races are pretty balanced
>Better balance than sc2
>realize if they gave sc1 the sc2 engine, sc1 would outshine sc2 in every way
>Instead Bliz jews themselves out
>Why don't they just remake sc1, it would be so much better

Anyone else feel the same way? This game is great, story, gameplay, balance, but the few things that hold it back could be easily fixed.
>>
>>331022692

>.gif
fucking why
>>
I always liked Starcraft and Broodwar for the campaigns. Multiplayer was never a big draw for me. Cant handle the stress So in terms of balance and such I don't have much to say.
Wings of Liberty I enjoyed. Heart of the Swarm became too much like Space WoW for my liking. I lost interest in the mission where Kerrigan gets locked into a magic beam duel with Protoss-Voldemort.

I liked the limited unit selection in Starcraft though. Made me feel like I was commanding squads and mechanized divisions instead of a death ball like in Starcraft 2.

I just felt like the first game felt more like a scifi saga. Starcraft is also one of the few sprite games that I have fun playing.
>>
File: 1363154436469.gif (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1363154436469.gif
3 MB, 320x240
The problem is that everyone has their own opinion of what a modern remake entails.
For instance you mentioned "can only select 12 units at a time". If you decided to "upgrade" this aspect it will immediately change how the game is played.
>>
>>331023547
I get how you feel, I was too young to play real mutliplayer, and sc2 mutliplayer is super stressful
But I hate what they did with the story in Sc2, Wings had such potential for another legendary story, and then they fucked it all up, and fucked up the characters
Raynor wasn't some stupid cookie cutter redneck, he was an elite solider with a balding problem. And he sounded like jack black. And Kinda looked like Jack Black
I'm pretty sure he was just elite soldier Jack Black
But with sc1, there was no shitty tankivacs or void ray rushes

>>331023840
That is a good point, but I feel that with the new engine only 12 at a time would be insanely hard
Instead of limitless, maybe 36?

I just love this game to death, while the second one is fading for me. So many pro league players are going back to sc1, It's like Bliz signed the death warrant on the series.
>>
>>331022692
There is a fan remake of Starcraft 1 & Brood War called Mass Recall using the Starcraft 2 engine and assets.
>>
>>331025383
neato, can you link it?
>>
>>331025451
http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/starcraft-mass-recall/

It's worth the hassle to install it, it's pretty good and light years better then the dog shit that is Starcraft 2.
>>
>>331025575
Thanks man, If you have any tips on how to install before I try, I'd be game in listening
>>
>>331022692
SC2 just didn't have any of the good stuff that SC1 that made it a success, whether it be a good campaign or a good multiplayer meta that had amazing new developments every few months.

WoL had some semblance of quality but everything else after that was just awful.

Although I think even if Blizzard did release a remake of SC1 on a better engine, issues like how many units should be allowed to control or whether the pathfinding for units should be improved and to what extent will come up.
>>
>>331025874
Yeah, the main issue for me was amount of units you would never use, for instance: The reaper is a good harassment unit that could be used early game. And then never again. And you needed to switch out of it early if you were to use them. They had plenty of new shit, but no idea how to balance them
>>
im dreadful at rts to the point i just do not play them but i love starcraft 1 and it's laughable how you say its clunky and slow compared to sc2 when broodwar is still being played and theres specific moves in brood war u can do only because of the engine
>>
>>331023547
Still surprises me how hard they ran the campaign into the ground with Heart of the Swarm. You can only stomach the same repetitive dialogue for so long.
>something something swarm
>this world is mine
>etc etc
>>
>>331026273
Yeah, the whole primal zerg thing made me mad. All that stupid shit with anom and shit, I understand the xelnaga had to have some development, but just "Ancient god like people with that one bad guy who is inexplicably way more powerful than literally all of the other guys who is trying to kill you now for somereasn- PROPHECY!"
>>
Blizzard used to be this "do no wrong" company and quickly became greedy and corrupt after WoW became an enormous success.

They don't care about good games, only money.
>>
>>331026273
I liked Starcraft because it was seperate factions acting in self-interest. If that involved exterminating the competition, so be it. Your enemy would do the same. It was a saga of individual tales that occasionally crossed paths.
There was no 'big baddie' who was the most evilest of all and needed a chosen one to defeat them.
I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.
>>
>>331026485
Fuck prophecies. Holy shit I am still mad.
Primal Zerg is where everything started feeling off to me too. Xel Naga too. I can't quite put my finger on why, but the whole deal with the Xel Naga just feels stupid to me.
>>
>>331027409
Why is amon more powerful than literally all of the other god people? Why did he take the zerg? Purity of essence doesn't mean a bunch of brutal animals will take on a ultra-advanced civilization and win. Why did the Xelnaga die to the Protoss? If they were all equally powerful, the sc2 campaign showed it was a pain in the ass to kill just one, so how did they kill millions? Why did the protoss kill them? Why does Kerrigan have to be a god? Why does she look so dumb? What happened to all the other kinds of zerg in the first game? Where did the new ones come from? Why do primal zerg talk? And Why the fuck didn't the Overmind kill amon? In fact, why was he made? Why did the overmind not come back to help, they fucking butchered Fenix into the story, so why didn't they do the same to the Overmind?
At least Mengsk died
>>
>>331022692
Blizzard has forsaken all what made Brood War great and focused on things no one really wanted. Instead of a well balanced multiplayer with a good combination of mechanical skill and game knowledge they turned it into a system of hard counters, deathballs and thinking more macro mechanics meant harder mechanics. Their map pools are atrocious and more proof Blizzard's inhouse team can't develop properly balanced maps at all, and always have relied on the community for maps since BW. Speaking of community, barely any good communication features or UMS infrastructure, which was half the reason why BW was so damn popular. They dumped all their production and effort into the shitty story campaigns rather than what really drew players into their games for the long run. So yes, if only BW got a HD remake or if SC2 actually followed what BW did I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be as much of a dead game as it is now.
>>
Sc:bw shits all over sc2. You're missing out of you haven't done multi player
>>
File: findmatch.jpg (30 KB, 287x83) Image search: [Google]
findmatch.jpg
30 KB, 287x83
>buy sc2 when it comes out
>tfw
>>
>>331027970
>tfw TvT in SC1
Most stressful shit if it ever reached mid-late game
>>
>>331027970
I tried getting on battle.net, but I cant connect to the closest gateway, and My account wont save. There are a grand total of like 21 games on the other gates anyway, with 20 of them being on the Asian server.

I don't think I'm good enough to play even then
>>
File: 200_s.gif (35 KB, 261x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
35 KB, 261x200
>>331028053
>mfw
And ranking was awful.
I lost my first 5 matches and ended up as diamond, everyone in diamond was way worse than me, what the actual fuck?
Also desktop gamma shenanigans, this is why I dropped it
>>
File: ScaaAAAaaaAAAry.gif (1 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
ScaaAAAaaaAAAry.gif
1 MB, 400x225
>>331028053
I played a bronze, smashed him, lost to a gold, meh okay
Next game: Fucking diamond
>>
>>331022692
sc1 doesn't need a remake
>>
>>331028053
I couldn't do it.
So I just played teamgames with friends until Blizzard repeatedly banned me for no reason.
>>
>>331027852
I hate how Mengsk became a Saturday morning cartoon villain. He genuinely seemed like a charismatic asshole in SC1 that had some charm to him.
>>
>>331023547
Aww shit man. I loved those old campaigns so much that I even made some of my own.
Myself and a few friends would create and share maps and in my case 3-7 map custom stories.
In time Warcraft 3 became more popular and I found its map tool too difficult to use...
Nevertheless, shit was awesome while it lasted.
>>
I wish Blizzard would have the decency to close their doors and stop desecrating their once good name.
>>
>>331028965
Made them in sc2?
>>
>where's waldo
>pick your defense
>grocery store wars
>assassinate bush
>kill the president
>mushroom kingdom wars
>star sunken/photon defense
>tree defense
>mini-town defense
>a day at school
>jailbreak
>cat and mouse
These are just off the top of my head. This nostalgia train has no brakes.
>>
>>331029380
sexypics
>>
>>331029095
Their once good name turned it Runic Games. Probably better to just go play their shit. You'll have more fun
>>
>>331029201
No, in SC 1 and later Brood War. Map creator tools were pretty simple and easy to understand. My knowledge of English was relatively meager at the time, but it didnt stop me from creating competent maps.
>>
>>331029380
>muh feels
Staying up till 9 (Fuck you i was like 9 myself that shit was late) playing cat and mouse, making the 4 pylons so that the cats couldn't get in
Turning off vision so you could build pylons inbetween pylons so that lings couldn't get in
what happened? I miss listening to gorillaz and playing sc1 as a child
>>
>>331029495
dirty tank defense
>>
>>331029525
Torchlight was garbage though.
>>
>>331028965
>Warcraft 3
>map tool too difficult to use...

nani m8
>>
>>331029615
Makes sense, the new one is confusing as fuck
>>
>>331028053
>actually sat on top 20 diamond league of my region on the first 6 months of the release
>>
>>331029763
>>331029495
Absolute barbarians
>>
>>331029938
I was young and too stupid to understand how to create shit like in-game cutscenes. Creating terrain wasn't difficult.
>>
>>331030235
That's actually not saying much, there were a lot of different diamond league ladders out and they weren't specific to region.
>>
File: 1376624560430.gif (799 KB, 400x332) Image search: [Google]
1376624560430.gif
799 KB, 400x332
>>331028053
>played wc3 and dota a lot
>decide to try sc2
>its a different rts overall

welp
theres a wc3 patch soon
might as well get reacquainted with that old friend one more time
>>
File: Dark Reign.jpg (308 KB, 640x453) Image search: [Google]
Dark Reign.jpg
308 KB, 640x453
>tfw will never mass phase tanks and pop up from nowhere in the enemies main base in multiplayer again

Feels bad man feels really bad.
>>
>>331032102
dark reign was awesome, and the expansion added so much
>>
>>331022692
Seeing as how you're new, I'll let it go and just explain this to you: SC1 already outshines SC2 in every way.
>>
>>331034819
except for being archaic as all hell
>>
>>331034897
Forgot the kids are still up.
>>
>>331035215
>improvement in controls and unit pathing is subjective

Doesn't make BW a less good game, but in the context of later games it controls very average
>>
>>331034819
I know it does, but I'm used to playing with the new engine and physics.
If Sc1 had the engine that sc2 had, imagine how much better the game would be, not that it isn't already great
>>
>>331035695
Playing starcraft mass recall is simply rhe best. I recommend everyone in the thread who owns sc2 to download it and play sc and bw the way it was meant
>>
still play it from time to time to this day.
>>
>>331022692
>>realize if they gave sc1 the sc2 engine, sc1 would outshine sc2 in every way
No really, the reason the SC1 pro scene was so big is because the micro required to actually control your units properly.

In the sc2 engine it would basically be what protoss is in SC2 right now
>>
>>331022692
The 12 unit selection limit seems like a shitty thing but if you look at games where there's no unit limit it ends up being balls of death attack-moving onto a base.
>>
>>331029380
>star sunken/photon defense
>stacking 50 photon cannons
my god, I miss that
>>
Hey guys, just played some bw
toss vs Zerg, map was face-off
Literally one big, zig-zagging alley
Okay, lets go!
>starting, the usual
>12 units to start, 4 dragoons, 8 lots
>Scout with a probe, he has 2 hatches and a hydra den, spawning pool
>Shit
>Prepare for rush, probe died to the tune of 8 hydras
>Waiting, still teching up
>get 3 Dank Templars up, ready to do some poking around
>Send them up, slicing some lings and hydras
>Hydras start shooting
FUCKFUYCKFGUYCKFUC
>Ogrelord hovers into view
>RUUUN
>Send my units in, now I have 2 command groups
>1st is just dragoons and lost
>2nd was my danks and the last few lots
>I am 2-1-2 at this point, with speed and range
>Lets fucking roll em goll em lads
>Lurkers
>Lurkers everwhere
Desperately killing lurkers before they burrow
>Losing units to lings
>Still lurkers
FUCKIGNKILLTHELURKERS
>Fighting an uphill battle all the way to his base
>In his base, 2sunken4me
>Losing shit fast, my danks are still alive though
>Everything fits into one control group
>Kill his first and his tech, Still fighting off some units
>head to his 2nd, figured I would kill his tech first
>More lurkers
>having ptsd nightmares of lurkers
>Getting Mirked by lurkers
>HOLYFUCKKILLTHELURKERS
>Finish off his 2nd, seems I forgot a creep colony at his first
>3-2-3 now, really low on units
>head back up to his first
>there is a lurker morphing literally in the middle of my path
>Almost have a heart attack as I focus it down
>Kill the creep colony
>player 2 has been defeated

Even as a bot, Zerg is scary
Feel proud to be a zerg player in sc2
Fucking lurkers though
>>
>>331037939
Furthermore, it differentiates the men from the boys regarding hotkeyed groups and micro
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.