[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you write a good LGBT character in a video game without
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 640x519) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 640x519
How do you write a good LGBT character in a video game without seeming like you're pandering to SJWs and the like?
Would you play a game that featured a LGBT main character? Would you still play it if that character were trans?
>>
>>345458438
>put gay character into game
>it's normal guy
>has boyfriend
>hates queers
>>
>>345458438
Have their gayness not be their gimmick.
Look at X from mega man or Raven from fe7.
Both gay, it's just part of who they are, not constantly in your face about it, and they're okay.
>>
>>345458438
>trans main character
>have to spend entire game in therapy to fix your mental disorder
Could be good desu
>>
>>345458438
maybe if the next 10 years all video game characters were automatically gay tranny or lesbian you´d stop using minorities as insults and act like real human beings
>>
Gay Tony
>>
>>345458438
>How do you write a good LGBT character in a video game without seeming like you're pandering to SJWs and the like?
you don't because according to /v/, anything that isn't a straight white dude is pandering

just put the gay characters in and fuck what these memelords think
>>
>>345458890
I would do it even more
>>
>>345458890
Nigger, stop chimping out.
>>
>>345458438
no
fuck no
>>
>>345458438
>sexual preferance is relative to everything
>would you still play it if that character was a dude that likes dudes but dresses like a chick
I play King of Fighters, so yeah.
Also, shut the fuck up with your agenda.
>>
>>345458438
Don't make him a mexican papi.
>>
>>345459089
That reminds me you can dress as a woman in apocalypse and have another man as your goddess when you replace YHVH.
>>
>>345458438
Dont make their sexuality their defining characteristic and just a small and sideline element. It is ironic characters in video games who are gay frequently are so ott gay in personality, that is all they are: a caricature and not a character. Stop defining characters on stereotypes and just make them act normal, then it would work.
>>
>Here's your chcaracter
>He/she can do all this cool shit, oh also he/she is gay

>Here's your character
>He's gay and his only character trait is gay, also did I mention he was gay
>>
>>345458438
Transexuality is a mental illness. Treating it like its a normal state of mind is only hurting these people. So no, I wouldn't want to promote turning it normal by playing a game with one.
>>
>>345458438
A person can simply be gay and that would be fine because they're not bringing attention to it. The story focuses on their merits as a person and their ability to overcome whatever obstacles are in front of them, not on their favored hole.
>>
>>345458438
Dont force them
>>
>>345458438
Don't ask /v/. /v/ will claim a game is forcing LGBT characters by merely having them.
>Male character mentions he has a boyfriend.
>OMG SO FORCED. ENOUGH OF THIS DIVERSITY QUOTA BULLSHIT.
>>
>write a character that's well-rounded and likeable
>make them like the same sex

or

>make a character that is struggling with their sexuality but in a way that seems realistic and is insightful

The latter is obviously the hardest to do and as such isn't recommended for most vidya writers.
>>
>>345458438
When did games stop beging about gameplay
>>
>>345459509
When Japan made shit wizardry clones.
>>
>>345458438
The only way to properly write a character in this fashion is to basically circumvent any indicator of sexuality or gender. Creating a character that is completely asexual, and carries both masculine and feminine features while remaining an enigma throughout is the way to do it.
If Samus never took off the mask, I'd consider that a great example.
>>
>>345459509
The current generation thinks political and social narratives are more important in games than gameplay.

Once they die off due to their own stupidity things will go back to normal.
>>
>>345458786
>X
>gay
what
>>
>>345458786
>X
>Gay

that's a meme you retard
>>
>>345458438
Just make a homosexual character without being a flamboyant faggot and reserve these things in private like normal people do.
>>
>>345459623
X is gay for Zero, who is asexual.
>>
>>345458438
I suppose if they made a game where all sexual degenerates were placed in gas chambers it'd be alright.
>>
>>345458438
Areannis or however you spell it did that really well.
>>
File: 1425140178590.png (7 KB, 349x298) Image search: [Google]
1425140178590.png
7 KB, 349x298
>>345458661
Holy shit this would actually do it.
Just look at Zarya.

Just make them not a total fucking SJW faggot, and they're golden.
>>
I don't think you really need to make LGBT characters. It works well in some japanese games because of yurifags but it must be kept at a minimum and don't get in the way of the story.

If you really want to shoehorn faggots into your game It better has some importance because otherwise what's the point. If you have a gay character and don't use his sexuality for comedy or something what was the point?
>>
Don't bring up their sexual preference or what gender they associate with every 5 seconds

Gay people and Trans people aren't like that IRL
>>
>>345459650
Hush now
>>
File: 1360313423359.jpg (493 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1360313423359.jpg
493 KB, 1280x720
The thing that makes a gay character shit/cringy/one-dimensional in games is because developers singlemindedly form an identity around their gayness, putting them on display.

That's like saying:

> "My name is Bob, and I like the color blue. I can't live without seeing the blue sky every day. All my pants are blue. I dyed my dog blue for Bluesmas. Did I mention that blue is my favorite color?"

Like really, it's a fucking insignificant detail. Like story, a character's preference for ANYTHING in games is largely irrelevant - what makes them compelling are their intrinsic motivations; gayness is rarely a singular reason to exist.
>>
>>345459684
I thought Zero wanted to fuck Iris.
>>
>>345458438
>Would you play a game that featured a LGBT main character?
If the gameplay is good, yes.

>Would you still play it if that character were trans?
No.
>>
Write a normal character.
Put one line somewhere innocuous about their sexual identity.
Literally nobody cares because they're a well written character who happens to be a homosex or a tranny, rather than a character written where their entire backstory revolves around this shit most people don't care about to get brownie points with people who probably won't even play your game.
This also applies to women. Japan may not have the best writers, but at at least they understand that the key to a well-written female character is to make a good character that happens to be female, not a dyke or a character whose vagina is their entire purpose.
>>
>>345459689
yeah they should do that to straight people i agree
>>
>>345458438
Like the way The Division did it.

Casual mention, or subtle clues. But then nothing else about it, or only when the opportunity arises. They just exist.

Shame the game sucks, but they did that right.
>>
>>345458890
>this wouldn't just turn more normies into minority haters
There's nothing that inspires hate quite like getting tired of someone's shit.
>>
By making them an actual character instead of a walking cardboard cutout with "I'm gay btw" written on their forehead
>>
File: 1457622936939.gif (1 MB, 217x217) Image search: [Google]
1457622936939.gif
1 MB, 217x217
>>345459271
I think lgbt's are higher lifeforms than us straights; therefore, they should all be sent to colonize Mars and escape this failed existence on Earth.
>mfw check on Mars in 75 years
>>
>>345459889
Mental scars from that incident changed him, even as an amnesiac Robot centuries later.
>>
You don't included these sort of characters

/thread
>>
File: 1410394052802.gif (44 KB, 300x296) Image search: [Google]
1410394052802.gif
44 KB, 300x296
I am unable to play games without chargen because ultimately all I want to do is play as an old wrinkly wizard.
So no, but I also don't play games where the main character is a straight young male.

... I don't get to play many games.
>>
>>345459574
Fucking Japan. They could have evolved their shit and followed along with the amazing advances that Wizardry 8 made. Instead they're just forever making Wiz1-3 clones.
>>
I'd love to play an RPG in which you play as a womanizing scumbag bisexual, that's one of my favorite literary tropes.
>>
You do realize trannys are disgusting to normal people right? It was just yesterday when the manager of what used to be my favorite resteraunt came out of the kitchen with a pair of hairy fake tits and a 5 o' clock shadow.
>>
File: 1451102049740.jpg (182 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1451102049740.jpg
182 KB, 600x800
>>345458438
It's been done, OP. People are just too blind with rage at/obsession with this to see it.
>>
>>345458890
Except that being LGBT isn't normal. It's abnormal. If it was normal, being straight would be abnormal and we'd probably be a lot less crowded.

Abnormal is not a bad thing, by the way. But it is not normal, common, average. Whatever you want to call it.
>>
File: dressup.png (187 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
dressup.png
187 KB, 500x498
Part of it depends on the setting, dumb frogposter. The brightest burning faggot can be either an important main character or a perfectly natural part of the story in some of those settings, but it's usually because sexuality is unimportant rather than celebrated. The reasons for that can be negative or positive, but at the end of the day the setting needs to be consistent with what kind of character you have.

Arcade Gannon from New Vegas fits his setting like a glove in a setting where sexuality actually matters. You can get a reading on how people in general feel about homosexuality and the consensus is that being open about it is frowned upon, largely due to a sense of responsibility to protect one's own society and ensure its continued future. That can be punished with anything from gossip to effective exile to execution and so he doesn't let on about it unless someone else comes onto him first. Because of that stigma, he's also very relieved to have the attention, especially if you have the necessary stat checks to demonstrate that you need each other.
>>
>>345460031
They won't have any genitals by then. They get rid of all waste through their mouths and reproduce by budding.
>>
>>345460235
Too bad Alphys was a terrible person, though not necessarily a terrible character. Still dumb that you couldn't kill her even in a Genocide run.
>>
>>345459442
What's the point of that shit then? It brings really nothing to the game and just comes out as forced.

Characters sexuality isn't really an important thing in video games and lot of characters have undefined sexuallity, I mean fuck, I want to play a game about shooting aliens in space, why the fuck do I have to sit through faggots telling me stories about that time they pound boipussy.

If you want to bring that, you better have a good reason, make something of it, don't just throw out "he is also gay btw" because that's a waste.

Persona games did the homo thing right without forcing.
>>
>>345459819
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ugkg9RePc
>>
>>345458438
>How do you write a good LGBT character in a video game without seeming like you're pandering to SJWs and the like?
Like a normal gay person: has interests, hobbies, opinions and just happens to like dicks.
>>
How do you write a good frogposting thread without seeming like you're pandering to Reddit and the like?
Would you post in a thread that had a frogposter as the OP? Would you kill yourself if you were that frogposter?
>>
>>345460437
>and just comes out as forced.
it's not forced to mention you have a significant other

wait, this is 4chan, the place that thinks having a girlfriend is some momentous achievement
>>
>>345459819
You forgot the
>Oh, and my family doesn't except my love for blue. They think I have a problem. Could you help me convince them otherwise? [Yes/Yes]
>>
>>345460235
Alphys only has 2 personality traits.

1. DORKY ANIME GURL XD
2. Never stops talking about munching a fish taco

So no, that's not a good example.
>>
File: image.png (26 KB, 396x400) Image search: [Google]
image.png
26 KB, 396x400
>>345460510
You seem upset, anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 512x288
I've got a game idea.
>Make a Hitman-like game, maybe with freeroam
>Make it so the main character can modify their body in order to better infiltrate their target, say you could use plastic surgery to become either the target's bodyguard or his wife, all up to you
This way the character can be trans but it's not really necessary or in your face.
>>
>>345458438
You don't.
Fags belong in the ground.
>>
>>345460437
Pretty much. It depends on the game, but usually I don't really want any kind of sexuality in my vidya. It's pointless, unnecessary, distracting.

Undefined sexuality is therefore the best you can do. Have you ever wondered why playing Deus Ex whether JC likes pussy or takes it up the ass? Probably not.
>>
Dumb frogposters
>>
>>345460593
It does seem forced when your line is "I'm gay btw" and then it's never reffered to again.

Developers are free to do whatever they want but it comes up as suspicious when it's a cuck developer doing this especially in the current context.
>>
>>345460790
It would be pretty annoying to have to go to the hospital every time you want to kill someone, what about possessing people?
>>
>>345458917
why the fuck is everyone ignoring this
>>
>>345460830
>but usually I don't really want any kind of sexuality in my vidya.

Kinda dumb considering something as basic as Pac-Man even has sexuality in it, considering he has a wife.
>>
File: 289px-Th145Miko.png (130 KB, 289x325) Image search: [Google]
289px-Th145Miko.png
130 KB, 289x325
>>345458438
Technically trans (she's Prince Shoutoku that did some lich-tier magic shenanigans to obtain immortality) but literally nobody gives a shit, also her underling keeps calling her prince out of habit.
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-03+at+06.38.22).jpg (30 KB, 256x242) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-03+at+06.38.22).jpg
30 KB, 256x242
>>345460593
You don't think having a girlfriend is a big deal? Lol what a gay.
>>
Just make a decent girl character
Then add a dick
>>
>>345460897
>It does seem forced when your line is "I'm gay btw" and then it's never reffered to again.

Why do they have to make reference to it again? Does a straight character constantly need to hit on women to remind you that he's straight?

Besides, if a gay character can't go 5 minutes without reminding the player that s/he's gay, then dipshits start complaining about it being forced in their face.
>>
File: 1456704366826.jpg (106 KB, 596x532) Image search: [Google]
1456704366826.jpg
106 KB, 596x532
>>345460054
>you will never be a wrinkly old wizard
>just an old man with a hobo beard
>>
File: 1465524034145.jpg (95 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1465524034145.jpg
95 KB, 640x640
unless it's an h game sexuality literally has no affect on gameplay or story and therefore cannot be included in a game without it being sjw pandering.
>>
>>345460907
Nanomachines
>>
>>345460939
I never knew that while playing Pac-Man though. I was just eating shit with a yellow blob while trying not to get eaten by the ghosts.

It's like as if some side material mentioned the two sliders of Pong were a divorced couple.
>>
>>345460981
Having a significant other is something that the vast majority of people on this earth will do at some point in their lives. It's not some sort of crowning achievement on its own.

You might as well get mad at someone for being able to wipe their ass properly.
>>
>>345460907
>go to the hospital
It'd be like picking your weapon load out before the mission.
>>
>>345461081
Then let's make every single character a colored hitbox because the looks of the character don't affect gameplay. Anything you put would be pandering.
>>
>>345461169
>I never knew that while playing Pac-Man though.

You would have had you played Pac-Man 2. One of the first things you do in the game is get milk for his baby.

And if not Pac-Man, use Donkey Kong as an example.
>>
File: thirstaro.jpg (19 KB, 444x409) Image search: [Google]
thirstaro.jpg
19 KB, 444x409
>>345461176
You're saying that like it's not a big deal when you get your first pube or first chest hair for dudes. Everyone does it, but firsts are a big deal when it happens.
>>
>>345458890
>maybe if the next 10 years all video game characters were automatically gay tranny or lesbian you´d stop using minorities as insults and act like real human beings
no fuck off, im gay and i love making fun of people whose personality is nothing but "i am gay! holy fuck did i tell you im gay! i love cocks! i wear nothing but girly clothes and shades of pink and my voice tone is that of a squeaky toy".
these people are attention whores and they deserve to be made fun of
>>
>>345458917
>>345460916

I was about to say, this is a perfect example
>>
>>345460215
>calling people disgusting based on their body
Way to go asshole, you're a shitty human being.
>>
pandering is my favorite word because it's always used as a negative when something is not geared towards yourself

hunnie pop is very clearly pandering to a certain crowd, yet it's okay when it does it
>>
>>345461081
>that face
>those tits
>that pit

why.tiff
>>
>>345461267
Donkey Kong kidnaps Mario's gf because he's secretly in love with Mario and is jealous.

Can I get a job at bioware now?
>>
>>345458438
Yes I would, as long as their defining characteristic isn't "LOOK AT HOW GAY I AM" or "I'M A WOMAN ON THE INSIDE FUCK YOU". If it's just something that's a piece of their character, then I'd be more than happy to have them as a character.

>>345461041
Is actually a great example. It was something that affected her life in a major way and informed her character, but it wasn't the only thing about her that was interesting.
>>
>>345460907
Maybe make it about taking hormones or steroids and have it bullshit their way so the character is immune to the inherent shit that comes from abusing or overdosing from them.
I don't think possessing them would pander to tumblrites, take Driver San Francisco for example, or Prototype.
>>
>>345461267
>One of the first things you do in the game is get milk for his baby

The missus can't produce milk on her own? The kid's as good as dead, then. Explains the ghosts, at least. Very deep.
>>
>>345458438
>putting X characters in game
literal redundant autism

mechanics>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>shit>>characters story etc.

If you'd ask me how to write one into a novel I would tell you to write a normal character and have him or her hint being homosexual rather than going for some cringe-worthy come-outs. Subtlety is golden in many situations and to be honest hardly anybody walks around and tells strangers who asked him how to get to the train station "you know what I am fucking slutty faggot".

If you want in-game example - Arcade Gannon from F:NV versus Dorian from Dragon Age:Inquisition

One gives you hints that he likes taking up the ass, the other looks like latino freddie mercury and has daddy issues because his father tried to cure gay with magic.
>>
>>345458791
Actually yeah, just playing a character with mental disease that makes general functioning in the game challenging would be pretty cool.
>>
File: 1461729776982.jpg (184 KB, 705x1000) Image search: [Google]
1461729776982.jpg
184 KB, 705x1000
If it is not lipstick lesbian pandering to the neckbeard then it is pandered to MUH SJW.

Also gone home was a neat short game, deal with it
>>
File: 1453782831202.jpg (94 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
1453782831202.jpg
94 KB, 620x413
>>345461169
>the two sliders in pong were a divorced couple
D E E P E S T L O R E
>>
File: 1467497872006.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1467497872006.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>345461391
Hell yeah I do, and so does everyone else tumblrina.
>>
>>345461554
>mechanics>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>shit>>characters story etc.

I stopped reading your post here because good mechanics and what OP asked for are not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>345460437
I guess mario and Peach having a romantic baloon ride is FORCED HETEROSEXUALITY. WHY IS MARIO'S HETERO RELATIONSHIP RELEVANT TO A GAME ABOUT STOMPING ON GOOMBAS?!?!?!?!

I would post a picture of the in-game cinematic I'm referring to. But it seems that inflation fetishist have made it impossible to search anything with Mario and balloons.
>>
You can't
>>
I still hold that Arcade is one of the best homosexual characters in video games, especially since you only learn he's gay through a single optional easy-to-miss fluff dialogue option.
>>
>>345461391
Well it's not like they had a choice to horribly mutilate their bodies oh wait
>>
basically, you have to make a conscious decision to make a character gay, and being gay is not the norm so it is near impossible to not have it feel shoehorned
>>
>>345461680
>I stopped reading your post here because good mechanics and what OP asked for are not mutually exclusive.
There's no reason to waste the energy that could've been pumped into mechanics and gameplay into story and characters: FACT!
>>
>>345461742
most trans folk don't even get genital surgery

why did this meme take off
>>
>>345461216
having the character look a certain way is completely different. you'd actually have to force in lgbt aspects on someone. the character would literally have to say it beyond just fucking someone else from the same sex. you can't write that in without seeming like it's pandering.
>>
>>345458438
1. Be good at writing.
2. If the games good.
3. If the games good.
>>
>>345461784
>There's no reason to waste the energy that could've been pumped into mechanics and gameplay into story and characters: FACT!

He says this in an industry that frequently has several teams working on a single game

Guess the next GTA game shouldn't have a story at all in spite of the fact that the writers don't even design the gameplay
>>
Despite what /v/ will tell you there is a small minority of people who freak out whenever homosexuality is so much as acknowledged in a game

If a guy mentions his "husband" in the same context where he could casually mention is "wife", that's like the least forced thing I can think of, but some people here still get mad over it
>>
>>345461925
No, they should just fire the writers.
>>
You write a good character without focusing it on sexuality
>>
>>345462021
for what purpose
>>
>>345461983
There's a difference between mentioning a husband when talking about family and mentioning a husband when asked if he wants ketchup or mustard.
>>
>>345461649
>So do all the other plebs and knuckle-draggers
No shit.
It's a damn shame.

>>345461742
>mutilating
I bet you find disfigured vets and midgets disgusting too eh?

>>345461825
>they all still have dicks
You're not helping ease their fears.
>>
>>345458438
Make a game about being an LGBT person. I have no idea what would pertain to gameplay, but as they only exist in the modern era and their sexual exhibitionism is their entire identity, it's the only scenario it makes sense in.

Or ofc an utterly departed from reality fantastical setting.
>>
>>345461825
Even without cutting off their wiener or "reshaping" it or whatever, they're still doing a lot of damage to their bodies with hormone therapy. Anyways, it's overall gross. I don't want them to kill themselves because most people think this way, but they should realize what they're doing isn't really a good thing or at least wait until technology allows full transitioning because a lot out ugly nowadays.
>>
>>345462118
people in this very thread have argued that a casual mention of a man having a husband was over the line
>>
>>345462068
To save money for whatever they wish.
>>
>>345458786
This desu. Axel from Kingdom Hearts is gay and a pedophile, yet he's very beloved.
>>
>>345462193
like writers?

because even GTA1 had writers
>>
>>345461825

Now we have these gender fluid faggots who get to feel that they are special without even doing anything.

People need to remember this shit, if this gender fluid crap dies out people need to bring it back up to mock these gender fluid cunts for their faggotry.
>>
Make Samus a cis lesbian.

Literally nobody is upset.
>>
>>345462273
what are you talking about and what does it have to do with my post
>>
You shouldn't set out to write in an LGBT character. Say you write a straight character, do you start the fleshing out process by thinking "Now how am I going to write this STRAIGHT character?" No. Because a person's sexuality doesn't make them interesting, in most cases at least.

The problem with most LGBT characters in games isn't that they aren't well written LGBT characters, they just aren't well written characters in general.
>>
>>345462148
>they only exist in the modern era
Do people really think this?
>>
>>345458438
the simplest way is to not make that fact that they are LGBTQ is to not make it theasier defining aspect of their character.

Don't shove it in the face that they are LGBTQ, don't pat yourself on the back because you are being "inclusive", if members of that community are so concerned about being represented in video games, I'm sure that they are sick of seeing super fab gay charaters, and men that are women as far as the face and that's it, like that pink haired overwatch character.

Make it like an ordinary character and maybe make brief mention of the their sexual preference if it matters, never shoehorn it
>>
>>345462370
dumb people on /v/ do
>>
File: 1465526281432.jpg (108 KB, 1080x1081) Image search: [Google]
1465526281432.jpg
108 KB, 1080x1081
>>345461428
because it's better
>>
>>345462302
Would be realistic too, I was in the service and the straight women were invariably fucking useless.
>>
>>345462262
Like strippers and pizza for programmers, seriously man, fuck off. Rockstar is one of the shittiest dev studios to work in, the writers would love being forced to find another job and saved money would probably ease the suffering of the rest of the staff.
>>
>>345462125
Disfigured vets usually get a lot of help and proper financial backup from the government to fix their cosmetic issues so they aren't terrifying to look at, or at least nowadays. In general, it's just a case by case basis. I haven't seen many midgets or completely terrifying-to-look-at vets, but I have seen my fair share of disgusting trannies both online and in person.
>>
You don't. Fags make up less than 1% of the population so unless I'm in some fag shithole like california I shouldn't see any.
>>
>>345462462
>the writers would love being forced to find another job and saved money would probably ease the suffering of the rest of the staff.

But the main writer of the series is in upper management
>>
File: 1462986931619.jpg (34 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1462986931619.jpg
34 KB, 640x640
>>345458438
Start drawing a cute girl, not the cutest just cute enough.
While ingame, mention he's actually a man only if he's forced to do so, like the main character develops a love relationship with him or if knowing his sex is needed for any major purpose.
You can also include details about his sex in a character bio in or out of the game. As not many people actually bothers reading them
Trap characters are kinda common in japanese games as they're a fetish.
>>
>>345462572
Also, I want to point out that if those lawsuit papers from Leslie Benzies were correct, Rockstar frequently makes trips to strip clubs.
>>
>>345462572
That's why they didn't do this shit yet. Nepotism. Crooked managers are dishonest news at 11.
>>
>>345462453
Plus you literally don't even have to show it, just make it a fluff piece of info in-universe. Samus watched her parents get turned into fertilizer by a space dragon and then got shanghai'd off by bird people to have her DNA poked around in and trained as a warrior, of course she's an anti-social weirdo who never speaks to another person. And honestly it'd be nice to have a gay character that isn't defined by LOOK AT ME I'M A HOMO. And it could retcon Other M.
>>
>>345462174
this. everyone just wants a closet case at best maybe he is maybe he isn't.
if your gonna make a gay character either make it real casual or have fun with it
aka gay tony
>>
>>345462719
>That's why they didn't do this shit yet. Nepotism. Crooked managers are dishonest news at 11.

White Negro, what in the actual fuck are you talking about anymore?
>>
>>345462653
It's scary how well the Japanese can actually trap it up successfully.
>>
Depends a lot on the setting.
>>
>>345462169
Most of them hate going out because of this.
They know how they look, they try to avoid it.

>doing [something] with your own body 'isn't good'
What's your opinion about tattoos and piercings?
And why do you give a shit how they look?

Being ugly isn't a sin- if it were, most of the people on /v/ would be in the same group as the trannies.

>>345462474
Anon, you can only fix so much. And fuck your 'terror', you can deal with it. You sound like an SJW who hates the patriarchy and gets triggered by 'problematic' speech. No one has a right to never be offended you fag.

>seen a fair share
I believe it and agree- the agenda-pushing is bullshit. And most trannies don't want it- they're getting a lot more attention now. Everyone has a chip on their shoulder about it, and attention means ostracizing & violence.
>>
>>345462821
Crooked managers, who may be the least productive people in companies, must prove he is not a fraud. Without they just hurt the companies.

However they are the ones with power so they don't care.
>>
>>345462821
He's implying that the only reason they didn't fire the writers is because someone in management is a writer
>>
File: Karl.jpg (54 KB, 351x240) Image search: [Google]
Karl.jpg
54 KB, 351x240
>>345458438
Make your character like Karl

>Gay
>Everyone knows he's gay
>Doesn't have to say that he's gay every scene for people to know

Karl is literally the best Gay character ever written
>>
>>345463109
What about Smithers?
>>
>>345458890
Fuck off fag.
>>
File: 1403279141133.jpg (56 KB, 259x240) Image search: [Google]
1403279141133.jpg
56 KB, 259x240
>>345463191
>Smithers
>gay
>>
File: SMASHDATMOTHAFUCKINLIKEBUTTON.jpg (15 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
SMASHDATMOTHAFUCKINLIKEBUTTON.jpg
15 KB, 480x480
>>345459756
>>
>>345463191
Smithers is as subtle as a brick through a wall, he's there for comedy.
>>
>>345462964
>What's your opinion about tattoos and piercings?
Not that anon but piercings and tattoos are disgusting.

>Being ugly isn't a sin- if it were, most of the people on /v/ would be in the same group as the trannies.

Are you blind? That's the hypocritical humor of /v/, and why people even browse this place in the first place. /v/, Transexuals, faggots, furries, ISIS supporters, hell, even the Klan are all disgusting people in their own special way. By poking fun at the other trash it makes them feel better about their trashiness.
>>
>>345463262
???

>>345463343
I've only watched the first 8 seasons. He's just as subtle as Karl when he's not literally having a wet dream about Burns.
>>
File: 1378963931604.gif (20 KB, 180x120) Image search: [Google]
1378963931604.gif
20 KB, 180x120
>>345463109
this.

Karl was perfect

>mfw I found out that the only reason Karl never returned was because the VA refused to take on the role again because Fox wanted to turn him into a stereotypical flamer
>>
>>345462964
>And why do you give a shit how they look?
Because I have to look at them? It's not like I can just filter them out of my life because I have to deal with them on a normal basis. If they could look decent while doing whatever they want to do to their body, no one would care. It's just that most don't seem to be able to get the surgery, medicine, therapy, etc. that they need when they need it to fully transition and are stuck as a man with boobs. You can't just slap a wig on and stuff your chest and go out declaring you're a woman now: one needs to actually put in effort into looking like a woman. There is a certain amount of effort that not that many trans people, mostly the MtF variety, don't seem to do. Even if they do try really hard, a lot of them are just incapable of looking like women because of how their bone structure turned out. I don't hate these people but instead feel pity. That's how people should react to someone that's delusional.

-Person that posted both
>>
File: Mr._Two.png (556 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Mr._Two.png
556 KB, 640x480
>>345459819
>Singlemindledly form an identity around their gayness

This is the issue. Look at Mr 2 from OP. He's the gayest character you'll find in almost any series, short of faggots sucking dicks in the middle of the street. But despite him being a complete fruit, his personality is one of the goddamn best in the entire series. To the point that among the popularity polls, he's in the top 30.
>>
Birdo was my hero as a kid. Thinks he's a girl, misunderstood, adopted a baby, hooks up with Yoshi. That's about the best you can hope for in the mushroom kingdom.
>>
You write them the exact same way you write straight people
you never see people bring up straight characters sexuality because its not important, same with faggots
>>
>>345458438
Don't do it like Va11halla.
>I like vagina and dicks
>look how gay we are
>>
>>345463735
What exactly was he anyways? I remember him being friends with that dude who could turn himself and others into women, but was Mr. 2 gay or what? He was a cool dude and one of the best characters, if not the best, despite his flamboyance. Actually, I would say his flamboyance added to his charm rather than detract.
>>
>>345461081
except for the time it actually changed the gameplay...

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Lady_Killer
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Confirmed_Bachelor

you could be straight, gay or bi, and it gave extra damage against genders based on what you picked, you could access new dialogue and new solutions to quests
>>
>>345464028
>Take cherchez la femme in New Vegas
>Literally three chances to use it in dialogue, including DLC

IT'S NOT FAIR
>>
>>345458438
>LGBT main character
Man, I have a hard time playing games with STRONG INDEPENDENT WIMYN, they don't appeal to me at all. Then playing a faggot would be even worse.

I mean, why does he have to be a fag? Does this matter in terms of the story? Many stories have protagonists that never engaged in sexual shit, so if they were gay I would never have guessed, most of the time they don't imply either way, know why?

BECAUSE THE SEXUALITY OF THE MAIN CHARACTER DOESN'T MATTER.

If it did matter, the story would dictate it, and to be honest I don't think I'd like a story like that.
>>
File: Bentham_Fights_Wolves.png (765 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Bentham_Fights_Wolves.png
765 KB, 1280x720
>>345464007
>What exactly was he

He worked for Crocodile, the antagonist pirate that tried to take over Alabasta. Eventually after Luffy and co defeated Crocodile, Mr Two (Bentham) befriended them.

And yeah, he's gay. He becomes leader of the cross dressing queers that take refuge in a hidden area in the prison. In fact the prison (Impel Down) is where Mr Two's personality almost literally shines through. He basically sacrifices himself to protect Luffy from everything in there.

He is the bro-est of bros.
>>
>>345464186
>>
File: the royal wat.jpg (58 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
the royal wat.jpg
58 KB, 500x357
>>345463634
Why do you care about appearances? Jesus, have you worked yourself into having physical pain when you see something you don't like? How did this happen? How do you hang out on 4chan with this affliction?
It's just so unimportant, and you've prioritized it in your morality/judgement scheme.
Are you the kind of person who freaks out about the neighbors' yards and keeps all the curtains folded exactly 9 times?
I..I just can't fathom your worldview.
>>
>>345464487
>Man, I have a hard time playing games
Then just don't buy them? Why not let the fags have their own vidya?
>>
>>345458438
dumb frogposter
>>
File: 1465937588229.jpg (32 KB, 327x322) Image search: [Google]
1465937588229.jpg
32 KB, 327x322
>>345464675
Where did I say fags can't play vidya with fag mc? I'm stating my opinion, if there were enough audience to justify it, go ahead.

I don't kill myself because there are otome games, I just play my titty simulators.

Why do you have to victimize lol, I was just answering OP with my opinion.
>>
>>345464647
>your brain can be flirted with
spooky
>>
Write them how you would any other character, except their love interest the same gender. It would be even better if it was subtle at first and their was a decoy love interest of the opposite gender interested in the MC. Maybe something like the Shulk-Fiora-Melia triangle except sub Reyn for Fiora. Obviously this wouldn't be the major focus of the game, but it wouldn't be hidden by the time it reached its climax.

It would help to not seem like pandering if they included some positive heterosexual relationships too, like maybe a couple of loving parents and/or a rebound for the "Melia".

I have no idea about trans though. I'm sure it's possible somehow.
>>
>>345462474
You know they get that surgery so people like you don't look at them like orcs, right?
So they can feel normal again- not so that you don't have to look at them.
It's for their sake, not yours.
>>
>>345464028
well at that point it's the players decision and fine imo.
>>
>>345458438
No.
>>
>>345458438
>game where you slaughter enemies in 3rd person shooter.
>kind of like gears of war, but even more brutal kills, gore etc.
>duke nukem style one-liners and shit talk
>main character is a huge jacked man in a dress, hig heels and a wig.
>manliest voice you could think of.
>"shit out of luck, girlfriend"
>"mansplain this, fucker"
>"trigger warning, alien bastard."
>"check your privilige, asswipe"
>>
>>345465831
http://store.steampowered.com/app/353190
Been done.
>>
>>345465613
yeah, so my solution is just let the player choose what the main character is, if gay, straight or bi is something you want to do give them dialogue choices to show that the character is that, make new solutions and make sexuality something that matters, as it stands now it just is for fanfic and ultra roleplaying, and it could really show sexuality in a new light when it is done this way
>>
>>345462653
chihiro isnt a tranny or even gay though, he just wears a skirt so people think hes a girl so people wont bully him for being a weenie.
>>
>>345458438
>Put LGBT character in game
>Actually make them a proper character
>Little to no emphasis on their gender

Done and done
>>
File: laughing obama.jpg (18 KB, 234x261) Image search: [Google]
laughing obama.jpg
18 KB, 234x261
>>345464028
I actually prefer it be done like this

>mfw hitting on your own brain as a homo

The toppest of keks
>>
Look into homo people from the past before gay identity or the lgbt movement were a thing.
>>
>>345469252
They fucked dudes and acted like faggots. They just didn't do it too openly or they'd get murdered by normies. You still had people who acted like faggots tho.
>>
File: 1466629899766.png (115 KB, 248x251) Image search: [Google]
1466629899766.png
115 KB, 248x251
>this entire thread
>g-gay characters ok as long as I don't know they're gay, o-or else I get super duper miffed!

Drop the facade and just admit you don't like gay characters.
>>
>>345469928

Its about being subtle instead of BioWare-tier character development
>>
It's very simple.

1. Create a character and write their story but don't think of them as lgbt. Make them a normal character like any other at this point.

2. Once you're done you may now go back and decide if the character is lgbt or not.

3. If you decide the character is lgbt just don't change anything about the established dialogue or the character's actions/role in the game.
>>
>>345471620
These guys who say 'just make a normal character and then call them gay' are kinda asking for the current shoehorns.
>"lol btw I'm gay"
>GAY AGENDA REEEEE
>>
>>345470145
/v/'s standards for subtlety are p ridiculous m8
>>
>>345471620
But why would you decide to make them gay if it adds nothing to the character?
>>
>>345458917
this
>>
>>345458661
/thread

We hate SJWs, not gays per se.
So if they could stomach writing gays they don't agree with/take pity on, (which they apparently can't), we'd be able to stomach seeing them.
Because we'd agree with them on at least some things and find them relate-able, and that's the key to accepting them & liking the character.
>>
>>345473870
Who's "we" you retard? Plenty of people here hate gays.
>>
you write a good character, not a lgbtcxyz character
>>
>>345472639

Why would you make them straight?
>>
Write them as actual people, not as a maligned subculture you should feel guilty for not worshipping.

Also, the revelation that the character is gay should be initiated by the player or as the result of inquiry into the character's background. Sane, well-rounded people don't base their entire identity around who they have intimate and romantic relationships with.
>>
>>345472639
Realism.

Gay people actually exist in real life, you know.
>>
>>345474553
This is a rational course of action. But it's important to remember that there should be space for LGBT characters who aren't sane or well-rounded, and whose sexuality will be a lot more obvious.
>>
They act like a normal person and you out on their background story they have a boyfriend or something. Look at kung jin for reference, he only references his sexuality in kinda subtle ways with raiden in story mode and tanya in intro dialogues
>>
>>345474290
>lgbt chaos xyz
Shh, don't spoil Konami's next new mechanic!
>>
>>345474180
No one cares about the literal homophobes, fag.
There are no good gay characters for them, so they're irrelevant to the thread.
>>
>>345458890
We got tumblr on the thread, someone take "xir" outta here
>>
>>345458438
Fallout new vegas Arcade.
>>
>>345469928
I cant get mad at gays. They wont ever take your girl and adopt kids irresponsible or death parents left behind rather than creating more.

I hate it when they block the streets with useless parades and act like victims all the time tho
>>
>>345474894

>But it's important to remember that there should be space for LGBT characters who aren't sane or well-rounded, and whose sexuality will be a lot more obvious.

Sure, but doing that will likely result in the much-maligned SJW pandering.
>>
>>345474384
You don't "make" anyone straight it's the default.
>>
>>345458438

Write them as you would a straight character, but instead of them having an opposite sex love interest, they have a same sex love interest.

I would definitely play a game with a gay guy protagonist as long as he was, as mentioned above, a cool guy, who acts like a guy, who happens to like guys, not a stereotyped faggy political statement.

>Would you still play it if that character were trans?

Probably not, as I can't possibly think of a situation where a trans protagonist is anything but a stupid idea. If you're gender A stuck in incorrect gender B's body than playing as gender A in a video game is the logical thing. Playing as gender A stuck in gender B's body when you could just play as gender A and be done with it is just self-defeating and stupid.
>>
>>345469928
this.
just because the game acknowledges that a character is gay doesn't make it "sjw pandering"
>>
>>345474384
Because 96% of the population is straight?

Your question is tantamount to asking "Why would you make a character who isn't in a wheelchair?"
>>
>>345469928
>>g-gay characters ok as long as I don't know they're gay, o-or else I get super duper miffed!

That's not what we're saying. We're saying that a good gay character is one where they are more of a character than just, you know, being gay.

Straight characters, normally, don't announce their straightness every five fucking minutes or make it glaringly clear in every conversation that they love the pussy. It's a very small part of who they are and not what determines the quality of their character.
>>
>>345458438
MMMmmmm!!! Nigguher!! ^__________^
>>
>normal character
>just so happens to like the sex with people of the same sex
>hey, you into me
>no... sorry I'm homo
>oh shit sorry, k

as opposed to

>SHEPARD LOOK HOW GAY I AM BAWWW MY BOYFRIEND I MISS HIM
>>
>>345475527
>>345474384
Ahem. People are born with it.
Coming from a purely functional standpoint, it's the return rand(3) function, 3 being the combination of 1 and 2.

1 and 2 respectively being hetero and gay.
3 is Captain Jack Harkness, anything that moves.

There is not a default, just a lot of horrible, squirmy genes trying to hash out the algorithms, and some people get the gay option, or the anything that moves option.

coming from the majority viewpoint / or "how things are" / "natural", well, nature has had gay animals, Romans, Greeks, etc.

Are you going to tell a testosterone-laden, musclechub, hairy all over, manliest man alive, clad in gay leather harness and cigar smoking that he's not as valid as a smoking hot hourglass Double Q+ cup plastic bitch?

Genetics are random, people are just lucky enough some genes are weighted. Then again, naturally the "gayness" should occur more. It's society that forces bad life choices and sticking to them.

Each to its own, a hole's a hole.
>>
Naoto and Kanji are good.
>>
>>345476219
>>SHEPARD LOOK HOW GAY I AM BAWWW MY BOYFRIEND I MISS HIM

I honestly think /v/ missed the point with Cortez. He was basically written in the very way people in this thread are saying you should write a gay character. The only difference was instead of crying over his wife, it was his husband.

You could have given him a dead wife instead of a dead husband, and made him only romancable with femshep, and left everything else about his story and character alone and he'd be straight and no different.
>>
Just write them the same way you would write a straight person.
>>
File: manningface.jpg (186 KB, 700x669) Image search: [Google]
manningface.jpg
186 KB, 700x669
If a gay male character kissed another man in the game, in an appropriate context, would you consider that pandering?
>>
>>345464007
Super Gay. The name of his martial arts is Okama Kenpo which translates to Gay Martial Arts. He is also one of the best characters in One Piece.
>>
File: you sayin I like dudes.gif (26 KB, 202x183) Image search: [Google]
you sayin I like dudes.gif
26 KB, 202x183
>>345476345
>>
>>345459271
it really isn't
I love how all these self-proclaimed experts can't even spell it correctly
Let's face it, if you had any clue about what it actually is you'd be in the medical profession, but you aren't
>>
>>345473870
>>345459756
>>345458661
People still pull tantrum when they do that.
>>345458438
That's like a feminist asking how to put a sexy female character without pandering to male?

Why the fuck care if a game is pandering or not, as long as it is good?
>>
>>345459271
>Transexuality is a mental illness.
It's not, it's physiological. They literally have brain of the opposite gender.
>>
>>345477307
>it really isn't

Yes it is. It is indisputably a mental illness.

That's not to say it's immoral or wrong or people shouldn't be able to do it or anything, but denying it's a mental disorder is insane.
>>
>>345458438
You have to make the game good enough for /v/ to like it and the gay character obscure enough that /v/ won't find out about it before the game releases. If they find out there's a gay character in a game they like, it's obviously a good character. If they find out there's a gay character beforehand, it's obviously a bad game because it's pandering to SJWs. And don't try to make any character trans because that's simply too much.

Alternatively, out in the real world, just write the damn character you want.
>>
I liked what they did with Mia in Xenoblade Chronicles X. Just a mention of "I miss my dads" and that was it.
>>
>>345477583
>They literally have brain of the opposite gender.

No, that's been debunked too.

Besides, wanting to wear makeup and wear dresses are not determined by biology.
>>
>>345476791
Yes but it's Bioware so it's bad.
>>
>>345458438
First, you dont promote your games with them.
>>
>>345477515
>tantrum when they do that
Provide an example?
>>
>>345458438
Don't even bring up his sexuality
>>
>>345478269
But then they're assumed straight.

And if you bring it up outside the game you're pandering even harder.
>>
>>345477626
Why is it relevant to classify it as a disorder when it's not inherently bad?
>>
>>345476791
I would hate a character crying over MUH WIIIIFE MUH WIIIFE all the same, so get rekt.

They just had to make him homo to shove it in people's faces
>>
People are going to rage at me for saying this but I think Life is strange did a good job at making they're main character LGBT
>>
>>345476970
>in an appropriate context

no, that'd be fine
>>
File: VolginI1.png (421 KB, 967x803) Image search: [Google]
VolginI1.png
421 KB, 967x803
Make it something that you wouldn't even realize unless you looked into it. Gayness isn't a character trait; nor does it define someones personality.
>>
You write a well rounded character, then roll a d10 and if it lands on 0 They're gay.

simple as that
>>
>>345478781
then give him a lisp and pink shirt
>>
>>345479907

>bad guy knows the disguised enemy is a enemy because his balls aren't the same shape
>>
>>345479907
holy shit, I forgot Volgin is gay

technically bi I guess, still, that's a trait of him, not his character, I agree that that's well done

>>345480145
Raidenov probably has a small dick while BB has a 15 incher
>>
>>345479936
Get the hell out of here Anthony Burch

Fucking fag
>>
>>345479720
Yes, because why not? After everyone was saying that was the way to do it?
>>
>>345458438
7th dragon III did it pretty well. The main scientist is a flaming faggot but none of his character development is related to that and overall he cares more about his job than fucking dudes.
>>
File: 798.png (306 KB, 593x540) Image search: [Google]
798.png
306 KB, 593x540
Write it like a straight person. Now change the significant other from one gender to another. Boom, done. It's been done a lot of time before and will continue work. The doctor in the Division comes to mind. People saying you should hide your faggotry are to be ignored unless they're saying they've a problem with sex in games in general but in that case they're a virgin and prude and probably cry when masturbate.

If you don't agree you're a faggot and probably suck cock as well.
>>
>>345458438
the character must
>be something
>be lgbt too
as long as they do something other than being lgbt it can't be that bad
>>
>>345480224
Volgin only enjoyed hurting Eva, he wasn't sexually attracted to her.
>>
File: BernieCrane-Artwork.jpg (57 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
BernieCrane-Artwork.jpg
57 KB, 768x1024
Florian was pretty amusing.

He's a stereotypical fag, but before you even meet him

you're told that he's had the same childhood as Niko

It really drives the point that it was simply how he was born.
>>
I love how everyone is like "this is the one perfect way to do it" and then everyone else is like "nuh uh that's the SJW method you need to do the complete opposite"

>You need to integrate his sexuality into his characterisation, don't just make it a tacked on character trait!
>No, you need to make it random because sexuality literally doesn't matter to anything, it doesn't define you!
>No, you have to leave it out of the game entirely, leave it for people to discover on their own!
>No, you have to make it explicit in the game or people will feel like like you're making shit up to pander!

etc.

But at least we can all find a reason to bitch about any given lgbt character.
>>
>>345480502
is that your headcanon or was it explicitly stated in the game? I played it on release, so I don't remember it well
>>
File: 1443474892002.jpg (195 KB, 517x768) Image search: [Google]
1443474892002.jpg
195 KB, 517x768
Make him an interesting and intelligent character who has a secret one sided crush on some male character which he never expresses and which you can easily miss and only learn by subtle hints.
Bonus points if he stays alone forever to suffer.
>>
>>345480269
that doesnt make any sense
>>
>>345480643
literally the only thing ever stated in game involving them is that he cut and whipped her. No sex was involved; volgin was just a sadist who got off on hurting people he probably masturbated to the thought of snakes torture session
>>
Write a likeable character that's not a mouth piece.
Have their sexuality not be a defining trait.
If it comes up make it feel natural and part of the story.

Don't do that shit that balders gate guys did.
"Hello, oh hey do you want to know how much of a tranny I am, well let me tell you"
>>
>>345480883
He literally fucked her in the ass I thought it hinted in her medical history. Also jaw problems. Which would still support him being more gay than straight.
>>
>>345480973
Why would people be shy about that sort of shit in a world where you can get gender-swapping belts?
>>
>>345481153
i missed that i guess, only thing i remembered from medical records was implied boobjob
eva's a slut
>>
>>345475527
Very poor bait
>>
>>345481190
It's not being shy, it's some random stranger litterally coming up to you and saying "Hi I'm a transvestite, okay I have no other dialogue, okay bye!"
>>
>>345480973
this, like have them show having a normal talk with their same sex partner that makes you like "oh cool, he's actually gay"
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.