[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your favorite Vidya-related books? I've listened
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 12
What are your favorite Vidya-related books? I've listened to the audio book for Console War and I'm almost done listening to Masters of Doom. I need to figure out what to spend my next Audible credit on.
>>
>>345404002
I've only read the Final Fantasy VII book, goes between the game and the movie...
It's alright...
>>
Ready Player One
>>
>>345404002
The book is okay but several parts read like Kushner wrote them straight out of his ass, which was probably the case.
>>
Game Over by David Sheff is pretty much the Nintendo bible.

Game Over and Console Wars together give a really good picture of the console market in the early nineties.
>>
File: CLhBIsEWUAEhXoS.jpg (37 KB, 586x179) Image search: [Google]
CLhBIsEWUAEhXoS.jpg
37 KB, 586x179
>>345404002
The master of all Vidya-gaem books.

>Super Mario Bros 3: Brick by Brick

The story of MovieBob's coming to terms with his Autism.
>>
>>345406823
>Implying Carmack isn't a turbo nerd who would say things like "I am losing control of my faculties" when getting drunk
>>
Read the Resident Evil novel a few years ago, the Nemesis one. Borrow it if you are into the series.
>>
i read the ultimate history of video games twice through, really cool read. one of the cs classes at my college uses it as a text actually; been thinking of taking for some time
>>
>>345404002
Ulilililililia's book
>>
>>345406823
Listening to the book after Console Wars is really interesting, just because of the difference in style. Console Wars was very much a novelized version of the events with lots of conversations (which were mostly somewhat fictionalized) that painted pretty specific characters for all of the people involved. It's probably not the most historically accurate way to convey the information but it was very engaging.

Masters of Doom is more biographical. The dialogue is scant and only usually appears as if quoting somehting someone actually said, but it's hard to gauge how much of it is fact and how much is creative liberty to summarize what the outcome of an important conversation was. The fact that it puts less importance on dialogue oddly enough makes it harder to judge what's fictionalized and what's a direct quote.

Console Wars and Masters of Doom actually make great companions for each other because they touch on a lot of the same themes, except Console Wars is about the 90s console market and Masters of Doom is about PC gaming. In some parts the two books actually cross over, which is something particularly noticeable if you read Console Wars first. All that stuff is happening in the background during Masters of Doom and once in a while it will get mentioned, particularly Joe Lieberman's congressional hearings about video game violence, and how Sega had ushered in the age of gaming for adults as a way of undercutting Nintendo.
>>
>>345406823
Reading about the technical challenges was still fun. Also, reading about developers going insane and smashing keyboards out of skyrise studio windows was hilarious.
>>
>>345407139
Dropped after 5 pages because I was in serious danger of getting an aneurysm.
>>
>>345407139
For whatever reason, his book is almost impossible to come by. It's like he had a moment of self-awareness and realized how harmful the book was to his reputation.
>>
>>345407305
Is the cat part true? There's a quake era interview with where he has a cat and someone commenting on youtube thought this meant he didn't have it killed
>>
File: wah.jpg (325 KB, 800x1188) Image search: [Google]
wah.jpg
325 KB, 800x1188
583 pages of the best analysis of wario you will ever find
>>
File: Carmack.jpg (6 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
Carmack.jpg
6 KB, 251x201
Who will play him in his inevitable biopic?
>>
>>345409114
>more than half a movie of glorius 90s carmack when his verbal tick was still really strong
I would like this very much hmm
>>
File: ultimatehitch2_18_detail.jpg (31 KB, 300x600) Image search: [Google]
ultimatehitch2_18_detail.jpg
31 KB, 300x600
>>
MoD is great. I also have Racing the Beam (about the Atari) on my bookshelf but have yet to read it.
>>
>>345404002
I just bought that after playing DOOM 1 to 4

Playing quake now.

d-do I have to play daikatana next /v/?
>>
>>
>>345409590

better do it
>>
>>345408948
>583 pages to analyze wario land 4
>583 fucking pages
>to analyze wario land 4

Holy shit, that even beats movieblobs autism.
>>
>>345408829
That's a good question. It's really hard to imagine someone, even one as spergy as John Carmack getting rid of their pet without any emotion.

My cat went through a bit of a pissing problem later in her life. I think she was having pain while urinating and it caused her to have an aversion to the litter box. It was really difficult and stressful but we held onto her as long as we could because I loved her so much.
>>
File: ci-120913155928-960.jpg (89 KB, 959x717) Image search: [Google]
ci-120913155928-960.jpg
89 KB, 959x717
>>
>>345404002
masters of doom audio book where?
dl link?
>>
>>345410024
amazon.com/audible
>>
>>345409608
>Kotaku excerpt
Dropped.

Just kidding, I love Spelunky, is this actually good? Is it more about the developer's struggle or the actual game design?
>>
>>345408948
>>345409608
wanna read these two next.
>>
>>345410410
Yu goes in detail about game design and his general process of making a game. Also his thoughts on modern video games. I would highly suggest it if you're a Spelunky fan.
>>
>>345409846
Holy fucking a shit.
>>
>>345409846
Its useful though to anyone who wants to make a good platformer
>>
File: mastersofdoom.jpg (1 MB, 656x2268) Image search: [Google]
mastersofdoom.jpg
1 MB, 656x2268
Post more Masters of Doom highlights.
>>
i make just such a thread and it fills with shitposters screaming "video game books are trash u autitst cuck retard lolol"

but now its ok
>>
>was going to get the Masters of Doom audiobook free from Amazon
>narrated by Wil Wheaton
oh well
>>
>>345412014
why is carmack so utterly insane?
>>
>>345408479
Just download it ya dingus.
>>
>>345409937
>Raising the bar
>he's actually lowering the crowbar
Jesus fucking Christ.
>>
File: mass_effect_3_endings.gif (2 MB, 300x184) Image search: [Google]
mass_effect_3_endings.gif
2 MB, 300x184
Any good fighting game books? I don't play them myself but I'm interested in the culture.
>>
File: Ed Boon is todd howard.gif (4 MB, 350x196) Image search: [Google]
Ed Boon is todd howard.gif
4 MB, 350x196
>>345413101
I imagine the story of ed boon and mortal kombat would make an interesting read
>>
>>345413421
>watching terrible taco
Fuck you, eat shit and die.
>>
Sword of Destiny

The Last Wish is pretty good as well.
>>
>>345404002
I found the halo books surprisingly good. Then again I was in high school at the time
>>
>>345408948
I found this book great. It goes into every detail.
>>
>>345408948
>wario's arms that fucking skinny
I could never get past that
>>
File: image.png (163 KB, 307x247) Image search: [Google]
image.png
163 KB, 307x247
Oh weird I ordered a copy of Masters of Doom earlier today, and I'm in the middle of The Last Wish. What has /v/ done to me?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.