[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will Half Life 3 Ever Actually Come Out?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9
File: HL3.png (19 KB, 331x285) Image search: [Google]
HL3.png
19 KB, 331x285
What have you done while waiting for Half Life 3?
>2007 last year of high school
>Played HL2 Episode 2
>"can't wait for episode 3"
>graduated highschool
>graduated university
>got married
>started my own business
>started a family
>still waiting for Half Life 3
Nothing can fill the void, we'll get it... some day.
>>
probably coming with source 2

i predict 2019
>>
>>343533517
No

It's pretty much confirmed to be dead
Gabe hates any mention of it, and Valve has gone on record saying that they aren't going to bother because the expectations for it are so high that people are going to bitch no matter how good it is.

It's dead, anon. Just accept it
>>
>>343534430
What if they outsourced HL3 to GearBox? They made the expansions for HL1. They were pretty good.
>>
>>343535289
HL1 Gearbox and modern Gearbox are so different they can't even be called the same company

Gearbox is the absolute last company you want touching Half Life
>>
>>343534430
>valve has gone on record
Source? Pretty sure they've actually said that fear of releasing it is the least of their concerns
>>
>>343533517
Valve is a jewish company that love to use your money to make retard Counter Strike games

Why are you waiting for Half Life? Half Life 2 was a mediocre FPS

Deal with it and move on.
>>
>>343535289
that would stupid i think im dumber for having reading that comment thank anon
>>
Even if it comes out, it will be shit. Valve are long past the days of being good game developers. They're just Jews now.
>>
>>343534430

I wish Gabe would fucking grow a pair and stop being a vague baby about this shit and just confirm or deny if it's actually fucking happening. God he can go literally have his ass imploded.
>>
>>343533517
Get on with my life instead of living for a shitty meme
>>
It will probably never happen.
The previous games had definable selling points, for HL1 it was the cutscene-less storytelling/presentation. HL2's gimmick was physics and graphics, now everything has more or less plateaued - graphics get better but never to the extent that it could be a selling point. Having a decently-competent story is the standard. Valve know that at this point they'd have to reveal something that would blow everyone's socks off, but audiences these days are a jaded bunch.

The best case scenario for a HL3 would have it be an extremely polished classic gameplay callback, essentially a DOOM' '16 reskin. But that would be hugely disappointing because people are expecting some new gimmick to elevate it, like VR or some shit.
>>
>>343533517
See
>>343533884
With the rise of virtual reality and consoles getting a hold of it. Near future: )
>>
>>343533517
Meme by this point
>>
File: image.png (321 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
image.png
321 KB, 600x400
No, and for a laugh read this
Inb4 polygon

www.polygon.com/2016/5/21/11728748/half-life-2-episode-3-gabe-newell-video-no-comment
>>
>>343533517
>yfw HL3 comes out the day you die on your deathbed
>>
File: 1243546297023.jpg (10 KB, 247x248) Image search: [Google]
1243546297023.jpg
10 KB, 247x248
>getting married before 27 years old
>starting a family before 30
lel, enjoy wasting your youth
>>
>swallow poison
>check /v/ one last time
>hl3 announced
>check the link
>it's real

How would you feel? Remember, if you're suicidal, this outcome has a small percentage of actually happening. You wouldn't like that, would you?
>>
Valve knows that no matter what will they do, it will suffer from sequel illness (HL2 not affected) and flop badly. Let it die with dignity.
>>
>>343539204
This. You should be fucking college chicks throughout your twenties. Feminism has destroyed the ancient female identity and now women spread their legs for anything.
>>
>>343539204
>getting married ever
>starting family ever
>>
HL3 is the DNF of the 22nd century.
>>
Op its been 10 years, its time to let it go man.

It will never happen stop torturing yourself.
>>
>>343539204
>27 and 30
>youth

top fucking keke
>>
>>343539204
>lel, enjoy wasting your youth

>he says while shitposting on 4chan

oh the ironing.
>>
Why do people care?

It's not like it'll be brilliant or groundbreaking. It'll just be a game.

To be honest they should just call it Episode 3 just so they can finish off the Half Life 2 story arc and then never touch the series again.

Calling it Half Life 3 is dumb since it makes people think "OH IT HAS TO BE A BRAND NEW SUPER DUPER GAME THAT BREAKS THE INTERNET AND CHANGES THE WAY VIDEO GAMES BAUGURHAUHFIHAEIFHAUDGAKTHAEHT"

everyone's still quite retarded about it

especially people on the half life subreddit and that "valve news network" nonsense where it's just one dickhead reading various forums and then making videos about it to scratch his own ego and sound really clever by acting like some kind of community manager.

It's actually incredible cringeworthy and I wish the Valve News Network guy would kill himself.
>>
honestly who cares anymore.

at this point they might as well wait until nobody is expecting it, and half of the community doesn't remember it.
>>
I'd rather have a new left4dead
>>
They should just outsource it to other company and see what happens
>>
>>343539417
>feminists are the REAL misogynists!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>UPDATED 2016-07-01: A minor patch was released for Windows users to improve compatibility with upcoming Vulkan games, in addition to all of the following changes from the June update.
>upcoming Vulkan games
>>
>>343539204
My business is successful enough that I can pay my staff a decent wage to run things and I spend my time relaxing, travelling, and waiting for Half Life 3.

>wasting my youth
>>
>>343539417
Gee, I wonder how I can tell you don't have any real experience with women
>>
>>343533517
Pssh. Get on my level.
>HL was my Christmas gift in 98
>found out, snuck the game out to play at night, put it back and resealed the box every night
>I was 16, had just learned to drive 3 months earlier
So let's move forward
>finished high school
>finished undergrad
>got Masters
>got married
>have kid
>started my own company too
>in addition to countless jobs and girlfriends
>3 generations of gaming
>half my life and then some
>tfw now I've been driving more than half my life
>tfw now I have some grey hair
>tfw smartphones, Steam, and 4chan all have happened since that first taste

I gave up about 3 years ago and even that felt late. It won't happen.
>>
>>343540374
They could have easily done a Episode 3 back then without anybody expecting miracle innovations from it, but now they have kind of dug themselves in a hole with the ending.
>>
Half life 3 and portal 3 are coming Vive exclusive u dumbass just wait. So obvious
>>
>>343544569
Valve still can.

People may complain about it, but people are going to complain regardless about "expectations" and hype".
>>
>>343544840
Nope, it's been too long. Even if they released Episode 3 and not HL3 people are expecting something more from it. They missed the chance to put it out there in the 2000's.
>>
>>343534430
>Valve has gone on record

No they haven't, shut the fuck up.
>>
>>343545021
that's an extremely arbitrary way of thinking

I'd be perfectly fine with an episode 3 that wraps things up in ~4 hours or so.

I mean, it's not like Valve have been working on Half Life 3 for ~9 years non-stop. You'd be foolish to think that.
>>
>>343545180
You can't have that kind of a delay for no reason and then release a quick closure to the episodes. It's just not how things work, which is why they don't know what to do with the series anymore.
>>
It actually wouldn't make much sense to complete the game and publish it. PC gaming is pretty much coming into its second golden age, steam has like 100x the users it did in 2007, they spent forever working on source 2 for dota only? I believe it will come out in the next 3 years
>>
I don't really care for HL3 or Episode 3.

I recently marathoned all the Half Life games and I enjoyed HL1 the most. Half Life 2 felt like such a downgrade in so many ways I don't understand why more people don't complain about it.
>>
>>343545401
oh but they do have a good reason, several in fact.

first Valve had to finish off left4dead in 2008, so obviously they couldn't work on episode 3 too much during such a crunch period
then someone decided to make left4dead2 in the space of a year, which burnt everyone out
then they tried doing lots of different new things, resulting in the coop mode for portal 2.

by this point they've not worked on episode 3 for a few years so basically they decide to make dota 2 instead
>>
My cousin works at Valve. Told me HL3 coming 2018 exclusively for steamVR / Vive. Mark my words.
>>
>>343545989
>>343544617
that would be rather dumb and make no sense
>>
>>343545793
Well, I'm not really interested in what the reasons are, all I'm saying is it lead to a bad cliffhanger ending and too high expectations for sequels.

If they had just released EP3 back in 08/09 they could have done away with it effortlessly (no innovations, no new engines required) and paved away for HL3.

HL3 they could have developed for the next 10 years and released it in 2020 no problem, but they're screwed now with the way EP2 ended.
>>
File: 1467146242408.png (467 KB, 555x555) Image search: [Google]
1467146242408.png
467 KB, 555x555
>>343533517
i find great satisfaction in PS3 titles now because those serieses are FINISHED and DELIVERED AN ENDING. that´s something fucking modern developers like Valve and Konami cant do.
>>
>>343539204
I don't get this. People study most of their lives, and then work a little more. But before actually enjoying the things they earned with much effort, they have kids that leech every dollar you have and all the free time you have. Most people hate being parents, but they feel a kind of social pressure to become one.

I'll start a family someday. But after I get tired of walking around my house naked and fucking my gf every day.
>>
>>343546232
I'm still not sure why an arbitrary period of time means that the game HAS to be called Half Life 3 instead of episode 3

people always cite the "valve moving away from the episodic model" thing for that, but every idiot spouts that out and posts the link to the article it's from without even reading it.
in actuality valve talked about moving away from the episodic model to shorter and shorter development cycles, the likes of which you see with csgo, dota 2 and tf2's occasional large patch update things.

Basically, there's literally zero reason to not call it Episode 3, it's just people being ultimately arbitrary for no good reason.
>>
What are the advantages of getting married?

What are the advantages of having children?
>>
singleplayer games are dead anon
microtransactions are everything now
>>
>>343547054
>married
tax reasons
irl-peen
>children
they're like you but smaller and you can teach them stuff

love?
>>
>>343546613
I don't personally have a problem with EP3 continuing straight from where EP2 ended, but you have to look it from the business perspective.

Half-Life is a notorious game title, it simply can't come back to the consciousness of the public (especially to new players) with a scene where your sidekick holds her dead father in her arms and crying. Everyone would be like what the fuck.
>>
>>343547767
from a business perspective?

it's a game that you sell for money. people will buy it regardless

I'm not really sure what you mean about new players. If someone wants to get into the series, they wouldn't start at the latest game, it'd be better to start at the first game and work forwards.
>>
>>343542934
>grey hair at 34
>american genetics
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 866x751) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 866x751
Who remembers Obsidian Conflict?

I've been bringing t back along with friends and it's such an underrated mod that was once great. Too bad Synergy is on steam and the dev team for OC has been MIA.

Please can we bring it back it's the best way to wait for Half-Life

>The card wars map that sin olives strategy (Until someone gets Alyx)
>oc_kake where it's an arena and you bet on which AI is going to win, like Gargantua vs Combine or Assassins vs H.Grunts.
>>
>>343548056
It would make for a bad setting, you dingbat. Accessibility is the 101 of AAA titles. This is why all popular games sort of restart every new title.

The video game business is not a charity or a hobby for most people, they are out there to make money and maximize profits.
>>
>>343533517
Virtually nobody wants this game anymore, it's irrelevant. The lackluster episodic games essentially killed all hype that HL2 created.
>>
>>343548443
it'll still make a profit, there's more than enough rabid half life fans out there

>>343548442
Obsidian Conflict was pretty decent, but since the german guy took over lead development and had some drama on the forum with a "girlfriend" (who was actually a boy or some shit idk) and then the lead developer turned out to be transexual himself

oh well
>>
>>343539204
>waiting until you're in your late 50's before the kids are out of the house
25 is the perfect time to have kids. you're already out of young adulthood but your kids will be grown up and out of the house by the time you're 50, then you have another 30-50 years of already have your life completely fulfilled

you dont wanna be like Rober DeNiro with a 5 year old at 75
>>
>>343549038
aren't kids more likely to be autistic if you're having them when you're older?
>>
File: HL3 takes it's time.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
HL3 takes it's time.gif
2 MB, 400x400
I JUST WANT THE STORY TO FINISH

I would be fine if they just upload a script of what was supposed to happen. I don't give a damn about the gameplay or graphics
>>
>>343549205
They could just do a trailer or some comic to get the story moving a bit, then continue HL3 from there.
>>
File: NEVEREVERLAND.jpg (3 MB, 5316x4904) Image search: [Google]
NEVEREVERLAND.jpg
3 MB, 5316x4904
didn't we already have this thread
>>
>>343549128
yeah if you have them at like 40+
>>
>>343549586
It's more of an issue for women.
>>
>>343549490
that's not how half life works

the story has to be told through the player's experience of the game and gameplay.
>>
>>343549659
it's only an issue for women
holy shit, why are you even trying to have a conversation about this? You don't know what you're talking about at all
>>
>>343549714
No-one said it can't be from Gordon's perspective.

Everyone benefits more including Valve and the gamers that we get HL3 next and not a dumb episode.
>>
>>343549757
What are you lashing out at me for?
>>
>>343549819
I'm not really sure what you accomplish by calling it Half Life 3 instead of Episode 3, other than satisfying the arbitrariness of a few people.

They can just make a game to tie up all the loose ends and stuff and call it Episode 3, and that will be fine and make more sense since it would be tying up the loose ends. After that they can maybe make a half life 3 if they want.

filling in the gap between episode 2 and half life 3 with a comic or a trailer is utterly stupid and simply not how half life games are meant to be done. it's a retarded idea.
>>
Never ever. In fact if you listen hard enough whenever someone mentions Half Life 3 you can hear Gabe's muffled moans as he strokes his engorged cock to the thought of teasing HL fans. Knowing Valve the most you're gonna get is a HL/HL2 remaster just so they watch people squirm and ask for more like the little Half Life sluts they are.
>>
You might as well just call them Steam. Valve doesn't make games anymore.
>>
>>343550178
>I'm not really sure what you accomplish by calling it Half Life 3 instead of Episode 3
Creating a meaningful sequel, duh?

Nobody gives a shit about the episodes. Most of episodic content in the industry are a failure anyway. Poeple want true sequels and not half-assed expansions.

>Episode 3
Awfully autistic and makes new players confused and ignore it like they did with Wii U. The name is not some small matter when you are dealing with the lowest common denominator. Valve knows this.
>>
>>343550573
just because it's named episode 3 doesn't mean it can't be a meaningful and true sequel.
It's just a subtitle to "Half Life", like how "Call of Duty" is the main title and you have "Black Ops" or "Advanced Warfare" following it as a subtitle.

Calling it Episode 3 is perfectly fine and acceptable.
It's not going to confuse new players. You could literally apply your logic to Half Life 3, since it's /obviously/ the third game in the series and they'll /obviously/ by confused and ignore it.
Your logic is dumb.
>>
>>343550979
Give me one example (an AAA game preferably) where the big anticipated sequel started off under some spinoff name instead of as a true sequel. Yeah, thought so...

What you are saying is like WC3 being called Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans, because some autist "has no problems with it being called that".
>>
>>343533517
>Will it
I mean, it COULD happen. Portal 2 happened, and nobody expected that.

>should it
Fucking hell no, its dead.
>>
>>343534430
Stop lying.

What's actually happening:
1. Yes they're working on it
2. No it's not anywhere close to done so there's nothing to announce
3. If you want to consider that situation as "dead" then go ahead because that wouldn't technically be wrong, but don't lie and say that Valve has said "on record saying that they aren't going to bother."
>>
>>343549924
Sorry I'm autistic so I'm not sufficiently capable at social interaction you fucking monkey.
>>
File: smh.png (57 KB, 200x240) Image search: [Google]
smh.png
57 KB, 200x240
>>343533517

Never happening, video related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt0w9YP_wZ0
>>
>>343533517
Don't worry lad, you won't wait for too long. I can't be more specific right now.
>>
>>343533517
Yeah I know exactly what you mean OP
>finish HL2 episode 2
>fuck my hot 10/10 girlfriend
>graduate as an honors student at 16
>have some children with my concubines, not raising them though
>sell my first company at 19 to Google for 500 million dollars
>have some children with my second wife because my first one is infertile
>now after all these years I have 7 grown children and close to a billion dollars in net worth
>third wife is just barely legal and a super model
>just bought a jet to travel the world with her
>still not Half Life 3
Feels bad man.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.