[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on crowdfunding in video games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: video game crowdfunding.png (2 MB, 1048x900) Image search: [Google]
video game crowdfunding.png
2 MB, 1048x900
What are your thoughts on crowdfunding in video games?
>>
Shovel Knight and Divinity Original Sin were worth it. I don't know what Yogventures is.
>>
I don't mind it. I'm not paying for a crowdfunded project, but some of them turn out to be pretty good. From pic related I like FTL, Wasteland 2 and Banner Saga. Haven't played Divinity yet but it's on my to-do list.

>>342492225
trolling or not, yogventures was a wannabe minecraft-ish sandbox game from the Yogscast which failed terribly. Dev claim it was because lack of support and funding from Yogscast themselves. I don't really know.
>>
>>342491735
You have to really trust the developer. Funding a NEET in his bedroom or a group of SJWs with poor or null experience in videogame developing is a very stupid thing to do.
>>
>>342492760

>Funding a NEET in his bedroom

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1727847183/hero-monster-girl-quest-3d
>>
>>342491735
Well from that list there is 3 games that blew dicks when they came out and at least two they ran with the money and never made a game.
the rest are either not released or range from alright games to pretty damn good.

All in all Kickstarter has worked out relatively well. You just got to do some research before backing.
>>
>>342491735
Hit or miss, leading towards the latter. Hard to tell for most people if you're giving your money to a hard worker with their heart in the right place, or a lazy borderline thief.
>>
>>342491735
Worth it: Shovel Knight, Hyper Light Drifter, FTL, Divinity

The rest? No idea. Probably suck though.
>>
My thoughts are summed up by the collage you posted.

It can be really good, and it can be really bad.

About half the shit I've backed on KS ended up bad, but fortunately those are the things I just gave like $15 to. Still, I've decided I'm not backing anything on KS anymore unless it's a sure thing - something I really want by people who've proven themselves, and they have something to show already when the campaign goes up.
>>
File: kekstarter.jpg (199 KB, 684x238) Image search: [Google]
kekstarter.jpg
199 KB, 684x238
>>342491735
If ou do some research you won't get burn like an ass by a conman.
>>
>>342493160
Freedom planet was basicly a really really good sonic the hedgehog clone.
Armello was a video game board games that is actually pretty well thought out and is now getting an actual board game.
if you were a fan of the original two Fallout games Wasteland 2 was pretty much just that.
And skull girls is a fighting game if you are into that.
Volgarr is a good platforming game with some difficulty.
Banner Saga is a damn good story oriented Tactical RPG. Got itself a second game.
The rest is either meh to shit or just plain not out yet.
>>
File: sensor2.jpg (126 KB, 600x462) Image search: [Google]
sensor2.jpg
126 KB, 600x462
It's a fantastic model with great benefits for developers and customers when done right.

It's another way to get money from idiots when done wrong.

As always, it's up to the consumer to know where their money is going as to whether it benefits them or not

Nothing new.
>>
>>342492896
Even if they deliver it's still risky. The safest bets are already existing studios who just need money to make a game. Indies or neets that at least have an alpha build to show when they launch the KS usually deliver too.

The worst bets are ideas guys with KS full of concept art. This includes "legendary" devs who try to launch a new studio too. There's a reason they don't have a job in the industry despite them always blaming the publishers. If anything they are worse because they get millions with their name alone and always underdeliver.
>>
>>342492225
>I don't know what Yogventures is.

Here's the short version of it

>Youtube celebrities decide they want to make their own videogame
>Autistic fanbase gives them over $500,000 to make it
>Yogscast hires a new studio of 6 devs to make the game
>Game is cancelled two years later due to gross incompetency and severe mismanagement, including paying one artist $35,000 for doing fucking nothing
>Instead of refunding backers, including 5 retards who pledged $10,000 each, they give everyone Steam keys for a completely different game
>Winterkewl is forced to file for bankruptcy
>Yogscast pockets the remaining $150K that was meant to be used to ship physical rewards because they're a bunch of greedy cunts

And that's why you should never back Kikestarter games, especially when it's being made by fucking youtubers.
>>
>>342493160
>Hyper Light Drifter
>Worth it
None of the backer rewards got in, most of the items previewed by the devs didn't get in either.
The game was pretty butchered. Unless they added that stuff in since release date.
>>
>>342491735
Yes. Sure, there will be shit games, but you don't have to play them and make some research next time.

FTL, Sunless Sea, Divinity:OS, HuniePop, Shovel Knight. What is ths game next to Hunie Pop?
>>
>>342491735
I think its cool that some games that otherwise might not have been made are given a chance via crowdfunding though it sucks that sometimes the results of crowdfunding are less than satisfactory.

From the games released I'm happy with:
>Skullgirls
>Freedom Planet
>Undertale
>Hyper Light Drifter
>Huniepop
I'm extremely upset with (though thankfully didn't back)
>Unsung Story
>Mighty Number 9
>Huniecam
And I'm looking forward to
>Shantae: Half Genie Hero
>A Hat in Time
I think crowdfunding has its place, but one should be careful if they choose to back something. Make sure the developer is reputable, check to see if there's a playable demo, etc.
>>
>>342491735
Worth it:
>FTL
>Divinity OS
>Gianna Sisters

Not worth it:
>Dreamfall Chapters

Probably not coming out:
>Legend of Iya
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.