[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which Halo is best?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10
File: 1465125527487.png (204 KB, 593x295) Image search: [Google]
1465125527487.png
204 KB, 593x295
>strawpoll.me/10472378
>strawpoll.me/10472378
>strawpoll.me/10472378

Halo 2

Halo 3 for the hype
>>
Well, lads?
>>
mates?
>>
Have a bump
>>
halo 3 babies need to leave
>>
>>341013775
top kek
>>
File: H5G_BoxArtFinal-Front.png (1 MB, 1058x1356) Image search: [Google]
H5G_BoxArtFinal-Front.png
1 MB, 1058x1356
Apologize.
>>
File: 1427775999181.jpg (114 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1427775999181.jpg
114 KB, 720x960
>>341015435
Jesus Fucking Christ, what the fuck were they thinking?

What lore has comparable rape to this? Star Wars?

Like, fucking Christ I don't even understand.
>>
I'm wanna get a 360 and get the three original Halo games. But, should I go for the original XBox Halo CE or should I get CE Anniversary for 360?
>>
>>341015797
Why not just get an Xbone? There's the MCC and all the games that aren't in it are backwards compatible. Playing 1, 2, 3, ODST, & 4 at 1080p 60fps really is a lot better. You can probably pick an Xbone up used for not that much more than the cost of a new 360.
>>
>>341015510
I've read all the halo novels.

5 doesn't rape lore, 4 does though

>>341015797
see
>>341016020

You can then buy reach and wars on 360 and play they via backwards compatiblity
>>
Odst is the best one
>>
>>341016020
Shit nigger, I just got a Faggotstation 4. I don't know if I want to bother with a bone. I really only want to play the campaigns. Is it really that big of a difference playing at 1080p?

>>341016218
>5 doesn't rape lore, 4 does though
So should I just pretend anything after 3 doesn't exist? What about Reach?
>>
>>341015510
Warcraft. The lore-rape has been happening since the beginning of WoW
>>
>>341015797
Play 1+2 on PC (you can plug in your controller if you want it to feel real) and then if you want, you can continue with 3 on either 360 or bone.
>>
3 if it were on pc
>>
>>341012631
You didn't link that correctly.

I say H3 because it's multiplayer was goat.
>>
>>341016447
that's actually a great idea
>>
>>341016357
>So I should just pretend everything after 3 doesn't exist? What about reach?

Yes. Reach is optional. It doesn't directly contradict lore but it does use major ass pulls to get around things. So that one's up to you.
>>
>>341016357
Reach doesn't really follow the story of the book Fall or Reach, which came out a month before Halo 1 and set up the backstory for the whole series (at least it did for me). It doesn't fully retcon it, but it comes pretty damn close, altering, overwriting, or just downright ignoring most of what was in the book.

Everything in the game also looks way more advanced than anything in the original trilogy which is definitely jarring considering the game is supposed to be, for the most part, a prequel.

These things irked me but I still think it's one of the best Halo Games. Definitely worth checking out.
>>
>>341016357
30fps to 60fps is a much bigger improvement than 720p to 1080p. But yes, if you can get a good deal on an Xbone, I'd jump on it. It looks like they go for around $200 used on eBay now. And if you don't have a good gaming PC, the Xbone will also allow you to play the handful of exclusives that the Xbone has/that are coming out soon that are worth playing. And the backwards compatibility list grows every month. Here's everything BC so far https://majornelson.com/blog/xbox-one-backward-compatibility/
>>
Best multi: Halo 2
Best campaign: Halo 1
Best co-op: Halo 3
Best atmosphere: ODST
Best map editor: Reach
Best JUST: Halo 4
>>
>>341016805
>>341016861
I just watched Fall of Reach (that animated movie with pretty fucking bad animation) and I almost wept at a few parts. Jesus Fucking Christ. Been watching a lot of Arby n the Chief too

So play Reach, but take it with a grain of salt?

>>341017072
Halo 4 is more JUST than Guardians?
>>
>>341017072
Halo 5's forge is the best though.
>>
>>341016357
>>341016861
>So should I just pretend anything after 3 doesn't exist? What about Reach?

Honesty? I wouldn't try to pretend any of them don't exist.

Has 343 made questionable to ouright terrible descions? Yeah. Did 4 do a bunch of needless retcons and personality changes to make the plot they wanted to happen happen, and even then they weren''t needed? Yeah. But it's useless to try to ignore reality, and a lot of the newer books are actually really good, on the level with some of the best bungie era books, and they depend on halo 4/5 era lore.

Accept 343 has fucked up a few times, but look at the silver lining and partake in the good stuff that did come out of it.

Too many people just go 'NO EVERYTHING 343 HAS DONE IS PURE SHIT" when they've only ever played for and didn't give them a chance past that, which just leads to them being more bitter and fed up with the whole universe then if they kept pushing onwarsds.

For reference, the good books that came out recwently I refence are the forerunner triology (though these have a catch), last light, broken circle, hunters in the dark, and shadow of intent.

>What about Reach?
Most of the apparent retcons >>341016861 discussed were patched up with reasonable explantions in the journal that came with the limited edition of the game. The few that weren;t were then patched up in some stuff called the data drops. Only 1 thing got a cop out/bad explnation so reach I can let go, 4 I can't, which got none

>Everything in the game also looks way more advanced than anything in the original trilogy which is definitely jarring considering the game is supposed to be, for the most part, a prequel.
This is just a BS complaint though. The events of TfoR and Halo reach take place litterally days before combat evolved, and CE to 2 to 3 takes only a span of 2 months or so. Tech wise everybody is at the same level throughout all of the above

>>341017138
Read the book it's based on. the animation stops halfway into the book
>>
>>341017138
>Halo 4 is more JUST than Guardians?
I wouldn't know. I didn't get a xbone. I'm just ranking what I played.

Halo Wars was pretty good for a console RTS, for what it's worth. had some interesting levels and worked around the controller well enough. Pretty shallow by PC standards, but whatever.
>>
>>341017138
Hmm might have to give that a watch then. I completely discounted it at first because it looked low budget as fuck
>>
>>341017216
>when they've only ever played for
*when they've only ever played 4

>>341017138
Note that when I say 'read the book it's based on" I meant read the book the animation is based on so you can finish that narrative and then you go get into the other halo books from there.

I'm not saying to not play reach and to read the book instead of that. Read both the book and play the game, and then torrent the journal so you can understand how the conflicts are patched up for most of them.

And if you liked the animation despite how shit the, you know, animation of it was, then you'll certainly like the rest of that novel and most of the other halo books. here's two posts I wrote up about how to go about reading the halo books past the fall of rwach, so if you wanna keep going, consult these

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/339307907/#339318102
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/339307907/#339318950

>>341017349
If you've already read tfor i'd say it's not worth bothering. They should have just done the motion comic style as with the evolution stories, a full 2d animation is out of that studio's league and it shows
>>
>>341017349
If you can muscle past the crappy 3D animation, it's great. If it were a PS2 cutscene, it would look great.

>>341017216
>the animation stops halfway into the book
I KNOW WHAT THE FUCK. Still wasn't even disappointed. The best parts were the buildup to becoming Spartans and not so much after Chief became Chief.

I panned all those Halo shits because they were all so fucking mediocre. Like Halo Legends?
>oh wow this big brave spartan saved me!
>it's a woman what a tweest
>oh wow this big brave spartan made me look like a bitch at the shooting range
>oh wow what a tweest is woman!
Jesus Christ.
>>
CE had the best atmosphere.
2 infiltration mission on enemy ship was hype as fuck.
3 was a dissapointment.
>>
>>341017528
>https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/339307907/#339318102
>https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/339307907/#339318950
Shit. Thanks mate.
>>
Spartans >>>>>>>>> Jedi

prove me wrong
>>
343i a shit. Would you agree?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (721 KB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
721 KB, 2880x1800
What's /v/'s opinion on SPV3 mod for Halo CE PC?
>>
>>341017552
>Like Halo Legends?
I thought all of legends other then "The Package" was okay. Not great, but okay.

Homcoming was the best one imotbqh

>>341017670
>CE had the best atmosphere
Only going by the OT

If you go by the whole series

ODST > Reach > CE > Everything else atmosphere wise.

>>341017710
>>341017528
Actually wait shit, there was a third post

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/339307907/#339319586
>>
Forge/Core Gameplay: 5
Co-op/Community: 3
Competitive: 2
Casual: Reach
Logs/Atmosphere/Music: ODST
Campaign: CE
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1RnXePXDfA

This shit was fucking unreal.
>>
>>341017885
Never played anything after 3.
>>
>>341017967
I played a lot of SPV2. Those mods are typically a lot of fun. Based on these screenshots I'm tempted to extract my custom edition install off my old PC so I can play it again.
>>
What has better lore than Halo? My fucking cock is rock fucking hard for this shit, it's unreal.
>>
>>341017992
>Only going by the OT
Naw mate.
I wasn't much into halo when it released and only got to play all the games after MC collection was released. 1 had the biggest impact on me.
ODST was fun, but I didn't like 2/3 of the levels. Poilice station was really cool though.
>>
>>341017808
The only likeable spartan is Master Chief. So no not even close.
>>
>>341018607
The only likable Jedi is Luke from RotJ, what's your point?
>>
>>341018082
I agree with a lot of your asssments but IMO CE has the worst campaign, even worse then 4/5

it copy pastes hallways out the ass, has cmpty as fuck exteiror envoirments, outright reuses the first 4 missions in the second half of the campaign just with tweaks, and it has the lowest weapon and enemy variety in the series, which makes it stale and repitive in comparsion to the others.

On top of that, it has the most barebones story in the series, which only makes it worse.

It's not a bad campaign, but it's certainly sup par compared to the other halo games (story notwithstanding, see >>341016218 and>>341017216 in regards to how trash 4's story is; I must mean the actual missions @CE)

>>341018258
By book standards, those spartans were doing pretty tame shit. People whine about the halo 5 opening cutscene being anime as shit but Sprtrans in the novels do anime tier stunts all the timers in the books.

Linda shoots 5 banshees out of the sky, 1 shot each by richocheting each shot inside the cockpit of each, while she was hanging episode down on a rope attached to ANOTHER aircraft herself, for example
>>
>>341018719
I just mean how that dude killed that Arbiter. Casually pushing his corpse off the ledge was fantastic. Assblasted Elitefags everywhere.
>>
>>341018719
CE's campaign excels through not being muddied down and bloated - keeping you on the move and focused on the objectives. It's by no means a spectacle but it doesn't take it entirely away from you or smash you in the face with it through multiple cutscenes.
>>
>>341018853
Ah.

I do think that scene demonstrates the disparity between elites and humans really well in regards to forge vs Ripa (that arbiter).

Ripa is clearly much stronger and much faster, and in their actual battle clearly outsmarts him in hand to hand combat, but he's taken advantage of by humans being pragmatic dickbacks, which causes him to lose in spite of all of his advantages otherwise.

It's a really good encapsulation of the Elites vs humans in general. They are stronger, faster, and in theory have better tactics, but are too clouded by their sense of honor and the prophets's cult like influence against Independence and pragmatism to change their tactics on the fly or correctly anticipate underhanded countteracttacks by humanity. Which is Ironic, considering Ripa in particlar has almost no sense of honor and for an elite is quite bloodthirsty, almost like a brute. So one of the few times he did show honor to an opponent, it bit him in the ass and lead to his death

Canonically, one of the current/last arbiter (thel)'s best traits is that he is flexible and doesn't let his honor get in the way of on the fly thinking as much as other elites. .

>>341019023
And I totally get the argument that it being more barebones makes it a tighter experience, which is something I can get why people like, but even with that in mind that doesn't excuse the amount of reused shit it has that makes it repetitive.
>>
>>341017138
>So play Reach, but take it with a grain of salt?
Sounds like a good idea. I'd go into expecting something like ODST 2 - a good side story to a great series.

>>341018532
Warhammer 40k

>>341017216
>This is just a BS complaint though. The events of TfoR and Halo reach take place litterally days before combat evolved, and CE to 2 to 3 takes only a span of 2 months or so. Tech wise everybody is at the same level throughout all of the above
That was my problem, everything was supposed to be at generally the same level of tech, but comparing Reach to the games that happen later or even concurrently, Reach looks like it's 10 years ahead.
I know this was just because the game itself was made later and thus had more freedom to portray what they originally wanted the universe to look like, but it just felt like George Lucas going back and editing in a bunch of CGI monster's and shit to the original Star Wars movies, ruining the original feeling they had.
They even acknowledged it in game if I recall, citing that Reach was a military stronghold and as such it had prototypes and the like produced and stored there for testing and that the reason they weren't in the later games was because they were destroyed on Reach or otherwise unavailable to the UNSC in large quantities.
It still feels like an ass pull to me. I never got why the way they decided to hand wave the majority of the retcons was with a journal that was only included with the special editions of the game.
>>
3, ODST, or Reach desu. I'm sure Bungie would agree.
>>
>>341019836
>Warhammer
great taste, a little more campy than Halo though--which isn't a bad thing, but doesn't get me at an emotional level
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (480 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
480 KB, 1920x1080
Same guy as >>341019836
Pic for what I mean.
Compare the 3 troopers on the left with the 1 on the far right.
Which one looks like he's from the most advanced time period of the setting?

They got around this one by making almost all the troopers you find in game members of the UNSC Army rather than the UNSC Marine Corps like in all the other games. This means it makes sense that they use gear from the future unlike all the other branches of the UNSC armed forces.

>>341020304
You could always look into actual Sci-fi novels if lore is your thing. Ender's Game and Starship Troopers are a good jumping off point, and reccomended reading for Halo fans especially since they're some of the major influences of the series and Sci-fi in general.
If you wanna stick to vidya games when looking for good lore, check out Dark Souls.
If you really wanna go deep though, you gotta delve right into Mario.
Mario truly has the deepest lore.
>>
>>341019836
>I know this was just because the game itself was made later and thus had more freedom to portray what they originally wanted the universe to look like, but it just felt like George Lucas going back and editing in a bunch of CGI monster's and shit to the original Star Wars movies, ruining the original feeling they had.

Well, maybe this is just me being me, but I never had a problem with what george did either. When your universe has canon, your job is to contiually make sure your stuff reflects that canon. CEA changing the forerunner art style or whatever to match canon is fine because the original game's art style doesn't, etc

Anyways, the exact visuals and guns in the games have never been canon, nor has what enemy types are where and so on. It's all abstractions of actual lore.
>>
File: based.jpg (128 KB, 1300x611) Image search: [Google]
based.jpg
128 KB, 1300x611
>Jon is still making A'n'C episodes
>>
File: 1465553624305.png (114 KB, 517x375) Image search: [Google]
1465553624305.png
114 KB, 517x375
>>341012631
ODST
>>
>>341021134
What? No? It ended, didn't it?
>>
>>341021879
nope, he posts them on his channel, Jon cjg I think.
>>
>>341020998
>It's all abstractions of actual lore.
I more or less agree with you, but I still get my panties in a wad when I see something in conflict with what, at least to me, is already established as part of the canon. Canon is canon because it's not something that's changes over time. It should just get details added to it.

It just seems silly to me to go back and change the canon so that the newer installments still make sense; why not just make the new installments adhere to the canon to begin with so you wouldn't have to change it.

I'm more just ranting now because I'm pissed that 343i changed one of my favorite series of all time so drastically. I don't even think they're the bad guys in all this. Microsoft is for forcing them to continue making games in a series that had honestly run it's course.
>>
>>341022448
> I don't even think they're the bad guys in all this. Microsoft is for forcing them to continue making games in a series that had honestly run it's course.

I wouldn't agree. John's story? Sure. But the franchise entirely? No way

There's room for hundreds of spin offs and side stories MS could pump out for decades without ever touching john and cortana again or even preventing them from revisiting it.

Off of the top of my head

>novel about the taming of the hunter
>novel or CoD/BF style shooter spin off taking place in the rainforest wars
>Survival horror game taking place as a UNSC marine on instillation 04 after the flood has broken out, trying to escape fighting off flood and covenant, using the novel's tone and strnegth for how fearsome the covenant actually are
>Classic battlefront style game where you spawn in as different types of marines, ONI agents, and ODSTs on the UNSC side, or different covenant races on the covenant side
>more strategy game spin offs, focusing on ship combat, for example.
>tabletop game (they've started to do this)
>ODST 2, but with an covenant spec ops unit, maybe from the perspective of the zealot squad that went after NOBLE team in reach

There's so much god damn potential
>>
File: 391040-halo-3-odst.jpg (268 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
391040-halo-3-odst.jpg
268 KB, 1920x1080
>tfw no more odst-like halos
not being mister chef was refreshing as fuck and they nailed the atmosphere of the city

not sure if this is just a pipe dream and should be left as one but imagine an odst-esq halo game, you make your character(maybe idk) and have a little bit of choice in dialogue and a few little branching pathways in the story.
I dont know if it fits the formula but if you're not going MC i dont see why this new character needs to be on rails if we're not expecting him to do amazing feats. I'd like to see some of the shit the grunts have to deal with, where shit gets all fucked and the armoured god doesn't come and save you

i wish i could write this out a bit better to get my idea across but essentially, not so much grimdark but more brutally honest about how a normal military unit would fare in that scenario.

Reach is an okay example too but they were still spartans.

I think the gameplay would need a huge revamp for this to work though, you'd probably need to really use cover and stealth for the most part or pick your engagements depending on what units or squad mates you had
ie at specific moments you might have to choose to have your sniper team branch off to find a solid position to provide overwatch as you and the rest of the squad move into whatever objective it is you're working towards, and depending on whether you're successful or not or how fast you complete it they might get killed as a result of that,
>>
>no "none option

Gee it sure is summer.
>>
>>341023007
go play splatoon you fucking 13 year old
>>
>playing literally any Halo after reach
343's absolute rape of the franchise has reached levels previously only attained by George Lucas.
>>
>>341023364
Litterally read the thread
>>
File: 15678057653.jpg (24 KB, 464x317) Image search: [Google]
15678057653.jpg
24 KB, 464x317
>>341017216
>a lot of the newer books are actually really good, on the level with some of the best bungie era books
>>
i got halo 4 on my 360 years ago
never finished it
should i bother to see the whole cortana loveydovey stuff plus the blooty
>>
>>341022847
>John's story? Sure. But the franchise entirely? No way
The problem is that Chief is still largely the MC, and it still feels like they're doing a continuation of the old series rather than a new series of their own with new characters. Hell, the game's are even still called 4 and 5.

I'm completely for all the type of games you mentioned however; those would be 100% cool since they'd, for the main part, be their own contained thing like the Evolutions series. They'd be using the world created by the older games and in return they'd enrich the lore and canon with new details.

The newer games don't feel like this for the most part, instead feeling like they're just using the canon of the older games when it's convenient and changing it when it's not. It feels really scummy to me.
>>
>>341020718

You do realize the changes in armor are mainly because Bungie learned how to use the console better so they could have better models right? They just tried to explain the changes somehow
>>
>>341023816
They are.

Broken circle is almost as good as Ghosts of Onyx, Last light is better then Fall of Reach, but below Broken Circle and GoO. Shadow of intent was written by joe staten himself so I shouldn't have to say anything else for it, and if I do, you clearly have no place to be partipacitng in this disscuson.

Litterally just pirate broken circle and read it. if you like it, look at that, you got enjoyment out of it and you can give the others a chance. if you don't, then when somebody else says what I said, you can explain to me or them why we are wrong.

You have nothing to lose, except if you just wanna shit on 343 for the sake of it.
>>
File: 34534534543.jpg (710 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
34534534543.jpg
710 KB, 1920x1080
>>341012631
It's the same thing that happened to ToS, they want a fucking HD remake of SKYRIM because it's the most recent and all the babies only got to play that instead of the great games before it. In it's real order it goes Halo 2 > Halo 3 > Halo CE > Halo ODST > Halo Reach and it ENDS there. Halo 4 and 5 are not part of the franchise series and they're complete fucking garbage besides their multiplayers.
Halo 2 had the BEST story. Halo 3 had the BEST co-op. This is indisputable.
>>
>>341024316
this is a good post
>>
>>341024012
I still feels weird from the perspective of a single continuous series, even if it makes sense from a real life perspective.
>>
>>341012631
Halo 3 > Halo 2 > Halo 1 > and Halo wars because RTS's are for faggots
>>
>>341024316
But anon, halo 4's MP is garbage.

5's is good though. Actually better then 3's.
>>
>>341024472
>I am so autistic I can't suspend my disbelief unless they port every halo to the original xbox
>>
>Halo 3 leading.
>Prefering that gimmick power-up and melee hammer gameplay over Halo 2.
>>
>>341024782
Look, I'm all for games moving on and progressing technologically, but I'd rather they didn't try to play it up a something else.

I already assume that the reason that new things from Reach,4, and 5 weren't in the games proceeding them was because the developers hadn't thought of them yet or couldn't implement them because of technological limitations, and I'm fully okay with them adding such things in later.

I'm less ok with it when the newer games panic and try to add in in-universe reasons as to why they're missing, rather than just trusting you to suspend your disbelief.

I'm not OK with it when they change parts of the canon in order to add in new shit.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.