[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 144 fps a gimmick or placebo? Is it worth going above 60?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: 144Hz-Demonstration-Game.jpg (48 KB, 563x321) Image search: [Google]
144Hz-Demonstration-Game.jpg
48 KB, 563x321
Is 144 fps a gimmick or placebo? Is it worth going above 60?
>>
It makes a difference, but 60fps is fine, if you're used to it. Going back to 60fps is bad though.
>>
You stop noticing anything at 120hz. Anything above is just to get more shekels out of you.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgHx3eMBXjI
>>
>>340854697
the difference between 30 and 60 is larger than the difference between 60 and 120 or 144, but once you get used to it going back to 60 will look odd.

But going from 60 to 30 seems like you're watching a powerpoint presentation
>>
>>340854934
I can tell the difference between 120 and 144. I've even tested the difference between those and those new ~200 Hz monitors and the difference is noticeable. If you don't find value in the extra frames that's okay but stop trying to push your objectively wrong personal feelings on others.
>>
>>340854697
Anything that works to erase the artificial reaction latency barrier that machines inherently have with humans will always be a goal worth chasing. How worth it it is depends on a lot. Right now I'd say 144 isn't quite worth its weight to me.
>>
Depends entirely on what games you play. If you play an FPS at a semi-serious level, it's definitely worth it. If you only play FPS games casually, it's not worth it. If you don't play FPS games at all and are expecting 144Hz to give you an advantage in Katawa Shoujo or something, then no.
>>
What does having a faster refresh rate do exactly? Make it appear smoother?
>>
>>340855558
>what are racing games
>>
Why is it that 30FPS on my PC feels weird while 30FPS on my console feels fluid?
>>
>>340854697
Humans can't see above 60 FPS.
>>
>>340855620
Yes, it looks smoother. And the fewer gaps between one image to the next in a sequence, the more accurately you can react to what's on screen. When the average human latency is like 240ms, the difference between an update 60 times per second and 144 times per second can be massive in shaving off added delay to your response.
>>
90Hz is the upper limit of what you can physically notice. It's why the use it on VR.
>>
>>340855620
yes
>>
>>340855674
Spoken like true bait
>>
>>340855863
>>340855674
Actually incorrect.
>>
>>340855647
A genre that nobody plays competitively.

>>340855863
Bare minimum for VR, not maximum. There is no known maximum.
>>
>>340855671
Because controllers don't let you turn as fast as a mouse, or because your TV has some kind of interpolation, or because you're simply sitting further away from the screen.
>>
>>340856025
Why does a smoother/ more enjoyable experience have anything to do with competitive play?
>>
>>340854697
You can't see above 22.512356 fps anyways.
>>
>>340856097
This, and because consoles typically have superior frame timing.

There are rare cases of shit frame timing on console too. Looking at you, Soulsborne.
>>
>>340856445
Seriously I couldn't play Bloodborne cause it gave me headaches with the 30 fps or less.
>>
people will tell you that you wont be able to go back to 60 fps but they're saying that because of stockholm syndrome. the only benefit you'll have is seeing an enemy milliseconds faster at 144hz, it's benefits start and end there. if you're not an everyday CS:GO CoD playing babby then you have no business owning a 144hz monitor.
>>
>>340856696

you have weak genes, your eyes are a low binned B grade pair, don't breed and pollute the genepool.
>>
If you're a progamer it is necessary. Literally every pro-gaming rig uses 144hz monitors. You don't want to play like a noob, do you?
>>
>>340856824
Getting headaches from screens is now a gene defect. Ignore the fact that i have perfect vision. /v/ is truly a wonderful place.
>>
>>340856914
Despite the (You) I'm giving you: you're right.

No one plays at invite level with anything but 120 ~ 144.
>>
>>340857127

>never had headaches from screens
>playing games since the spectrum
>"endured" starfox and stunt race fx on snes running at about 8fps
>still not a pussy bitch complaining about headaches

you're weaksauce.
>>
>>340857229
Bloodborne is the only game that's ever given me a headache because it's framerate is so inconsistent and shitty. And again an inability to play a specific video game is way less of a deficiency than your tiny tiny penis.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.