[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Civ 5
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 39
File: CIVILIZATION-V-FRONT-OF-BOX.jpg (27 KB, 250x313) Image search: [Google]
CIVILIZATION-V-FRONT-OF-BOX.jpg
27 KB, 250x313
Can we get a Civ 5 thread?

>Favorite civ to play
>Most hated civ/mortal enemy

>Tfw coming across the ai attacking a barbarian camp for a city state quest and swooping in at the last second and stealing it with some scouts before they can finish it off the next turn
>>
England on any island map is un fucking stoppable

Also, Dghengis Khan and Alexander the Great think they're hot shit and can take my cities and then beg for peace when I decide they're no longer allowed to eixst
>>
Playing Stellaris only made me want to play Civ5 again. How do you treat Civ addiction?
>>
Favorite: Arabia
Enemy: Greece
>>
Only game where Poland can into space
>>
I just bought this last weekend but haven't played much yet.
How do i into war?
>>
>>338123608
Navy and tanks
>>
Threadly reminder to get the Community Balance patch for civ 5:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=526185

Too much shit to list here, but cannot go back to Civ 5 without it anymore.

Fave Vanilla/BNW civs to play:
Incans - Fun slinger shenanigans and orgasmic terrace farm locations yee.
Shoshone: OP pathfinders = godly ruins = snowballing alongside extra territory early on.

Enemy: Venice and Austria. Get the fuck away from the city states assholes.

>>338123608
Ranged spam, seriously. Ranged to defend, take down cities (With Cavalry to capture) Archer line OP.
>>
>>338123671
How do i into early war? I'm at a stalemate with Atilla, his cities kill my units too fast.
>>
>>338123236
Venice. Play it all the time in MP with friends and always dick over everyone thanks to it's powerful economy. Tradition helps you piss wonders so you become a cultural/wonder powerhouse too, which can help greatly to get the world congress made faster, and have power in the congress itself. I was once told everyone convened in a private facebook chat to try and figure out a plan to stop me, which I found pretty astonishing honestly.

I fucking can't stand Rome, they're dangerous because they can quickly develop their new cities.
>>
>Playing Germany
>Going around clearning out barbarian encampments
>Find one with with a worker
>Clear it out and return the worker because why the fuck not
>Next turn the worker is captured again
>Free them again
>Same thing happens
Should I just keep the fucking worker? Like is there any downside or anything >>338123824
Catapults/archers help a lot.
>>
File: 20160505040018_1.jpg (364 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160505040018_1.jpg
364 KB, 1920x1080
Anyone else here play with the Community Balance Patch? I'm a big fan of the diplomacy overhaul and the tourism improvements it has. Certainly makes for a more interesting early game.

>>338123608
The default AI can be exploited to hell and back which can certainly help with warfare. I can share some of the stuff I know if you want.
>>
File: 1460043751828.jpg (50 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1460043751828.jpg
50 KB, 300x300
>>338123981
I'm all ears, Anon. Teach me how to not suck at warfare as Germany.
>>
>>338123236
Just got this for sale, what the fuck do I do?
>>
File: dumb injun.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dumb injun.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>338123790
CBP is pretty good

Casimir was hostile as fuck to me at the start of the game and then Suleiman and I fucked his ass and now he's officially my bitch (vassal)

Also this Pachacuti I'm playing against right now would rather attempt to capture my CS allies instead of actually defending his cities (his army on the far right is also busy with a rapidly spawning barbarian horde, it's a basically a three-way between Cape Town, Pachacuti, and the Barbarians)
>>
File: 20160518102508_1.jpg (987 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160518102508_1.jpg
987 KB, 1920x1080
>>338124293
Civ 5 is the easiest entry into the Civ series, start a new game on prince or some skrub difficulty and learn how to play. Lower difficulties are VERY forgiving for not knowing how to play.

>>338124325
Vassalage is such fun in CBP, I had Arabia and Poland as vassals last game and they kept shittalking me anyway telling me to watch my back. So I raised their taxes to 25% (max) and it's hilarious how furious they got. I noticed on the CBP a lot of civs are very inclined to take out city states, especially if they run out of room to spam cities.

This is on second highest difficulty as Mayans BTW. Kunas + forest/jungle is fucking OP as hell.
>>
What, in layman's terms, does the CBP do?
>>
File: 2015-09-02_00001.jpg (301 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-02_00001.jpg
301 KB, 1920x1080
>>338124205
Some quick ones of the top of my head:

You can build a city in a really shit spot (like surrounded by snow and tundra near the ice cap) and give it as a gift to the civ you aim to go to war with. Vanilla AI always accepts city gifts so you can give them useless cities that will just be a drain on their economy, culture and science.

You can also lure out units by sending civilians (workers or settlers) near your enemy's borders. I think one of the viable strategies on higher difficulties is to send a civilian near a city you want to conquer to force the AI to abandon its garrison. Another pro-tip about workers - be sure to use them to build roads from your city to your enemy's borders. Makes it far quicker to get reinforcements in and lets you connect the city to your capital quickly once you've conquered it which helps with gold.

The AI also seems to prioritise wounded units ahead of all else. If you send 1 wounded melee unit (spearman, pikeman or similar) up to a city with like 4 catapults in tow the AI will focus on killing the dudes standing outside their gates rather than the fucking siege equipment tearing their city to pieces.

Shout if you want more, there's a few more things I can think of.
>>
File: community patch project ai.png (94 KB, 778x1620) Image search: [Google]
community patch project ai.png
94 KB, 778x1620
>>338124729
The whole Community Patch Project basically does this:

>Improves AI and adjusts warmonger penalties to be more sane (pic related if you want something detailed about the AI changes)
>Happiness is completely revised so it no longer favors tall gameplay
>Every Civ is basically buffed to Poland-levels, diversifying their playstyles greatly
>Religion has completely different tenets that make more sense
>Same for social policies, especially the main two, Tradition and Liberty (renamed to Progress), which are now suited for tall or wide respectively
>Techs, especially early techs, are also more diverse, and changed to make more sense
>City-states are no longer bribed with cash, must construct or buy diplomats to send to them or complete quests for them (which there are more of), there are more World Congress resolutions, diplomatic victory is revised a bit.
>Vassal States, Map Trading, Tech trading, and more are brought back from Civ 4 (and you can disable them if you want)
>Also, more luxuries
>>
>>338124819
Yes please!
>>
>>338124918
Most of that sounds nice, but what is Tall and Wide referring to?

On a side note, I was unaware that Poland was apparently so strong. I always thought Arabia was ridiculous with doubling luxuries and having better trade routes.
>>
So I've never actually played a 4X game and I want to give one a try. Is there a torrent for Civ 5 anywhere? The one on Kat doesn't seem to be legit.
>>
>>338124819
Never knew about that city one, neat
>>
File: civ5insanepartner.jpg (2 MB, 1912x1051) Image search: [Google]
civ5insanepartner.jpg
2 MB, 1912x1051
I love posting this. It took me a year of real time to finish this campaign.
>>
>>338125085
>what is Tall and Wide referring to
Tall = Building up your empire on the backs of three to four cities
Wide = Expanding your empire wide across the map
>>
>>338124729
The two things I like the most about it that it changes:

Overhauls diplomacy and city-states. Rather than spending thousands of gold to secure city state allies, you have to build and send special units called diplomatic units into city state territory and expend them to increase your influence. There's new buildings and wonders (I think some wonders have been changed to compliment the system) which improve your diplomatic units. It makes the diplomatic victory much more active and engaging; you have to actually interact with city states and other players to get a diplomatic victory.

Tourism is also changed. It kicks in a lot earlier if you focus on it and there's more ways to generate it. You get tourism with a civ whenever you complete a trade route with them and there's policies to buff the amount you get so you can fucking tourism bomb someone if needed. There's also historic events (+tourism whenever you build a wonder, advance to a new age or get a great person) which can be used similarly. Arabia's unique ability now boosts the tourism from the historic events, and trade focused civs like portugal are now viable for the culture victory which is pretty cool.
>>
>>338124918
Yep, it basically balances the game of a Civ specific and stat specific gameplay (Wide/Tall/ICS)

The biggest issue with Civ 5 meta is:
4 City Tradition (whole tree) National college in capital by <turn 70. Spec into Rationalism tree and pump out great scientists 2 win. <--- #1 Meta Civ 5 strat in a nutshell. The CBP makes a lot more stuff viable.

>>338125085
Tall empire = VERY few cities (<4) but all very large in pop (30ish) Wide empire = LOTS of cities, but most are smallish (5+ cities, less pop) There is ICS (Infinite city sprawl) too. Fucking crazy on Vanilla Civ 5 release, basically build all the fucking cities (30+) even in shit territory for the building/tile yields. WAS very viable, in BNW it's dead.

Poland in BNW is considered contender for #1 Civ for flexibility in their UI Solidarity. (Free social policies every era) It is AMAZINGLY strong in many ways.

>>338125269
Lmao nice one, all them starving cities tho.
>>
>>338125381
>all them starving cities tho.

Let them eat cake.
>>
File: 20160519011551_1.jpg (747 KB, 1914x1052) Image search: [Google]
20160519011551_1.jpg
747 KB, 1914x1052
Just watched a civ double in size in less than thirty turns. Crazy shit.
>>
File: 1347382575536.jpg (34 KB, 400x529) Image search: [Google]
1347382575536.jpg
34 KB, 400x529
>>338125193
The city one might have been changed in BNW, I don't remember exactly. The problem is that the AI gets such huge buffs on higher difficulties that the game becomes about exploiting the deficiencies in the AI rather than simply outplaying them.

>>338124984
Okay, two more I can think of.

If you rush a religion first and spread it to your neighbour civs, they will essentially take care of the rest for you. The AI seems to put a lot of emphasis on spreading religion for whatever reason which can easily be exploited by taking beliefs that boost your combat strength in enemy territory. If I remember right, there's a belief that gives you +33% strength when capturing enemy cities following the same religion or something like that, which you can use to full effect since the AI fucking loves having a religion to spread to all its cities.

The last one I remember off the top of my head is that you can sell excess strategic resources to your enemies to cripple their economy ahead of a war. You can trade off your excess horses to your neighbour and get twice their initial gold offer by just putting the number in the trade window before accepting. Not a huge thing late game, but especially early on when you're making less than 10 gold per turn it can really cripple whoever you want to conquer. As an added bonus, if you're giving your future enemy loads of horses, then it's pretty obvious what sort of units he's gonna throw against you once war breaks out, which is handy since spearmen/pikemen are a lot cheaper than knights and horsemen.

Don't forget about having a navy either. Ranged naval units are great at weakening cities down prior to capture, and you can go full gorilla warfare with them to apply pressure to an enemy as needed.

Hope this helped senpai
>>
>>338125691
Rome's glory; It hurts Nebuchadnezzar, doesn't it?
Rome, Iroquois and Shaka always go apeshit on the expansion/conquest and is usual for them to plaster the map with their shitty cities unless you stop them.
>>
File: scared.jpg (25 KB, 420x500) Image search: [Google]
scared.jpg
25 KB, 420x500
>>338125691
>1420AD
>Uranium
>>
>>338126062
It did, thanks alot.
>>
>>338126062
Adding to these goodly tips:
If you trade your horses/Iron to an enemy and they used them to build them strategic specific units, if the number of those units they have is greater than the strategic resources they own or have by trade (Since you LENT them it should be) all those units get a -50% combat penalty until they get more strat resources or go back to equilibrium levels.

You can declare war on (One) City state per game and have no really bad penalties. I usually do so early to steal an ez worker and then use the CS's units as easy EXP for units. Don't actually capture the CS and you can keep farming for free workers, EXP, gold (pillaged improvements) Only ONE CS per game though.
>>
>>338123824
that means you need to bring one or two siege units
>>
>>338123236
>favorite
Maybe China?
>enemy
Montezuma. Nigga can't be trusted.

I want to get into some of the scenarios but I'm confused by them and haven't fucked with them much. Do you guys like them?
>>
>>338123236
>favourite
toss up between arabia and Korea
>hated
Fucking alexander
>>
>>338124702
what UI mod
>>
File: wefefw.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wefefw.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
got this sick spawn the other day
take a look at the mountain range
citadels at top and bottom + subs in the bay = laughed all the way home

wish i played on a harder difficulty for this one

ps. don't look at nara tia
>>
>Love the shit out of the Byzantines
>Want to play as them
>Suck and die
>>
>>338123824
Early war can be tough, especially at first, because cities make hard targets to break and they hit back hard. It's also not complicated though, because neither you nor your enemy have a lot going on yet. Catapults are great help but you can also zerg archers effectively to take a city.
>>
how the fuck do I play this and can I go full rance and start raping queens under my banner
>>
>>338128796
>can I go full rance and start raping queens under my banner
Not unless there's a mod I don't know about.
>>
Civ 6 hype! You can already preorder it on steam. In glad they are taking a step back after space
>>
File: 1423870197710.gif (323 KB, 192x256) Image search: [Google]
1423870197710.gif
323 KB, 192x256
>>338123236
>Civ5
Oh shit, this is now old enough for babbys to have this as their first civ and even feeling nostalgic about it
>>
>>338129215
>some people are younger than I am and that's not okay
>>
File: NOTHING EVER GOES MY WAY.jpg (667 KB, 1914x1052) Image search: [Google]
NOTHING EVER GOES MY WAY.jpg
667 KB, 1914x1052
>>338128209
The vanilla scenarios are unbearable, but some of the G&K/BNW ones are quite good.

Fuck everything about Scramble for Africa, though.
>>
>>338129215
mate i'm 43 and civ v was my first civ

if you want a bit more bitterness in your life taste my fucking ballsack at your leisure
>>
>>338129215
Civ was my first civ game and I'm even feeling nostalgic about Civ 5, it's getting pretty old, bro.

Hardest nostalgia I have is for 3, though.
>>
>>338129410
i like scramble for africa either as the french, italians, or zulu on low diff
>>
>>338128209
I like some scenarios. Some are way better than others. The quest for the new world scenarios are the best of the bunch. mongol scenario is ok if you like war. Civil war scenario is meh. G&K scenarios are all ok. Other vanilla stuff is mostly trash
>>
>favourite civ
Babylon. Love fighting off invaders with swords by using my mem armed with gatling guns. Or at least nice to keep up with other civs in Emperor difficulty and above.
>hated civ
Polynesia. Fuck you, Kamegameha. Your warmongering ass is not even worth conquering most of the time.
>>
My fav: Egyptians, gotta build every Wonder you can
Hate: the Japanese
>>
>>338129561
It's pretty fun on the lower difficulties, but Ethiopia is ridiculously OP on the higher ones and that kind of takes the fun out of it. Every game turns into a race to see how quickly you can find and burn Ethiopia's cities to the ground before they can run away pointwise.

Unless you're playing as the Zulus or the Boers, in which case you're kind of fucked and you just have to pray that the Europeans actually do their job and slow Ethiopia down enough for you to win. Which they don't 99 games out of a hundred.
>>
>>338123236
>Favorite civ to play
India. You lose a fuckmount of that Happiness malus from Population, you only need like 3-4 humongous cities to win.
The fucking Ottoman Empire. Fuck these guys

>tfw you're about to capture a city
>ally doublecrosses you and nukes said city
>>
File: eatit.png (63 KB, 989x278) Image search: [Google]
eatit.png
63 KB, 989x278
>>338129410
I'll admit, it was very hard. But after the first war with England it gets a lot easier
>>
I'm no Civ expert, but I find myself always going for England (unless there's no water whatsoever). Ships of the Line and Longbowman are too fucking fun.
>>
File: 1428658945586.jpg (237 KB, 706x528) Image search: [Google]
1428658945586.jpg
237 KB, 706x528
>>338129969
Teach me your ways, anon.
>>
>Favorite Civ:
Netherlands. I love taking cities with ships.

>Least favorite:
Germany/Ottomans. There unique ability is useless.
>>
>>338130120
I don't remember the strategy but it's on civfanatics I think. I re-rolled again and again until a huge mountain range was between myself and Britain, then built citadels on the gaps. From there I just won the war of attrition while expanding north. It's been a while so I don't rem,ember everything I did, but here's a strategy that's a bit different that somebody else used.

http://www.kalle-online.net/blog/scramble-africa-praise-victories-steam-achievement-guide/
>>
>>338130520
>In the end Mogadishu (!!!) captured an Ethiopian city, sealing my victory. Had that not happened all those 100 turns and certainly more than 8 hours of playing the Scramble for Africa scenario would have been wasted…
>a city-state saved his ass
That's amazing.

Much appreciated, anon!
>>
>>338128538
Bit late sorry, but: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=512263

Works on Vanilla and modded CIV 5 with or without using the mod menu, recommended for all players.
>>
>Favorite civ to play
Korea, korea and more korea. korea is so op there is no point in playing anyone else. everytime i start game as other civ i stop coulpe turns in because is think " what the fuck am i doing? why am i gimping myself with this garbage civ?"

venezia and austria
as someone who prefers less cities/bigger cities style anyone who destroys city states is my mortal enemy who i prioritize in my city razing campaigns
>>
File: thumbs-up.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
thumbs-up.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>Favorite:
Babylon and China

>Least favorite:
Venice, I'm playing a Civ game, I want to fucking build cities you assholes

>best friend:
I've had great times wrecking other civs with Gandhi, guy's a bro- pic related is mfw he offers friendship

>worst enemy:
Harold fucking Bluetooth always declares war on me at least 3 times in every game it seems.
>>
>>338123824
Build a barracks and swarm them with spearmen and a few catapults if possible. Use the promotion for healing. Stacking a worker with your infantry can be helpful to chop trees and open line of sight for ranged units. If the terrain sucks and/or they took Oligarchy you might be boned until you have ironworking.
>>
>>338126121

For some reason in my current game it's fucking Sweden that has nine cities before turn 200.
>>
>it's a "all the other AI civs gang up on you for being bloodthirsty while one of them conquers the rest of the world" episode
>>
Is there a mod for BNW that makes the culture system go back to how it was pre BNW, but keeps everything else/makes the new civs and such compatible with no tourism?
>>
>>338125183
Can't help you anon, but you could really afford to just buy it on sale, it gets down to 12$ for the complete edition every 1-2 months
>>
>>338123790
how do i install this shit?
>>
>>338137940
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=528034

Use the automatic installer that is recommended on the page: https://mega.nz/#!DB1gSCoD!NSmMmKHD5bbnMIxK5ZDIj8F_F_4lsTsK7Aj_F_pUYBI

Boot Civ 5, Mods menu, tick the applicable modules for the CBP, set up game and play.

I HEAVILY advise reading over all the civ's bonuses before you pick form the menu nearly every one has been HEAVILY changed. Also Don't make the mistake of treating barbarian AI as a joke anymore - it sure as hell isn't in CBP.
>>
>>338125183
I got Civ V + all expansions on G2A for about 6$.
Check there.
>>
I wish there was a way to make age limits in the game. I want to conquer the world as Alexander the Great in the bronze age. I don't want to commandeer nukes and shit.
>>
>>338138608
Not really a solution but play on Marathon gamespeed on that era/s. There were IIRC some mods that also delay tech advances (Beaker costs more globally). I have played Marathon gamespeed twice in 2K+ Civ 5 hours and holy fuck, I mapped a 10 player Pangaea map with two scouts fully before I even got fucking spearmen.
>>
>>338138608
I know there are moss for that, i've seen them beforre
>>
>>338123236
>favorite Civ
USA USA USA
>least fav
Fuck the French.

Ever declare war on a Civ for settling in those last couple of tiles on your perfect island continent?
>>
Is there a list of useless shit like shit tier wonders or buildings, and which ones are good/high/MUST tier like the gardens?
>>
>>338138434
looks like i have a problem, default install location is
>C:\Users\Admin\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS
should i change this to my own user profile? or to civ installation directory?
>>
File: civ 5.jpg (268 KB, 872x1224) Image search: [Google]
civ 5.jpg
268 KB, 872x1224
Just about to start a new game. Community patch updated and ready to go.

I got my dick kicked in trying to do Persia diplomatic victory last time - several incisive and backstabbing wars put our whole continent behind technologically behind Rome and Sweden who were in a comfy dominant alliance on another continent having destroyed all their rivals early on. Sweden declared war on me and despite overwhelming odds against us (his military was literally 10x mine, and far more advanced) we clung on from his initial attack and managed to actually push him back and start damaging his territory. However Rome opened up another front, wrecking my city states and then accelerating culture and winning a culture victory. I enjoyed it greatly, I was never going to win, but Civ is one of those games that it doesn't matter. It is the ride.

Hopefully I get something interesting today (no better way of recuperating from a broken ankle with a pile of prescription painkillers and Civ)
>>
>>338139143
installed patch, lets rock n roll
>>
>>338138975
If that isn't your directory Civ 5 Isn't installed in, then put it in your user profile one.

You can also manually install the CBP, and there is even a user guide https://mega.nz/#!vApnySCQ!WhZ8rzzZA39rJn8kvctZp8PRUpIjpZd_6fwzEVzq9HE (Same ink also posted on same forum link I posted before since opening mega links from 4chan is always dolphin porn Russian roulette)

>>338139143
Good man, general advice: Don't pick the same difficulty you play 'nilla Civ 5 on. Except for Deity all AI's get CONSIDERABLY less bonuses to their play but the AI is simply that much better if you play emperor difficulty on 5 and do so on CBP you are liable to get your shit kicked in until you adjust.

Lastly, question everything. Most buildings/social policies are changed somewhat so don't just 'do something cause it worked in 'nilla'
>>
>>338139347

Yeah, I've been using community patch for a while, just haven't updated it since before Christmas. That's what I love about it, everything is very different, you don't just blindly follow the same path each time. Codeine and the Byzantiums for me this afternoon.
>>
I downloaded the CBP and although the interface has changed, I'm not sure if anything else did. Does anyone know what could have happened?
>>
>>338133830
bumping

I wanna try something with the Aztecs that requires this
>>
>>338139785
Ahh yeah, Gazebo and the rest of the team are always pushing out new community based updates on it, it's absolutely wonderful really.

Heh, hope the ankle gets better soon. Cover that world in Byzantine blue for me.

>>338139919
You have to have all the modules enabled from the 'mod' menu for starters, so to play the CBP you ALWAYS run the game in the "mods" menu every-time or you're gonna get Vanilla civ. When you go to select a Civ, if you've played Civ 5 at all you will notice many have new units or wayyy different bonuses that never existed in the descriptions. If you DON'T see either and you HAVE the mods enabled in the mod menu tell me.
>>
>>338140123
If it's not on the workshop I've never seen the like, look in the Steam workshop and here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=395

IMO though, the new Tourism/CV system in BNW was near universally considered superior, and while I did enjoy some Aztec barb/civ culture farming utilizing their UA for an easy CV before BNW I fear their glory (and ez cheesy days) are dead.
>>
>>338140124
The thing is that it didn't show up in the in game mods menu at all.
>>
>>338140124
is it possible to play over lan with patch?
>>
>>338139143
Fuck it. Lets do this
>>
>play korea with CBP
>fuck up the beginning, only 2 cities and no room for new cities
>friends with everybody
>pick freedom
>everybody else picks autocracy and hates me
>annex the mongols, change ideology, ally with 10 city states
>trade cities for votes
>diplomatic victory
should I disable diplomatic victory? It feels cheap to be able to fuck up the earlygame and still win by a huge margin.

Also what's a good starting strategy?
I reload a few times until I have some decent tiles near the city, then go for Temple of artemis/Library/Oracle and so on, but I get only 1 or 2 wonders in the earlygame most of the time. Is it worth it?
>>
File: 2.jpg (276 KB, 1685x1016) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
276 KB, 1685x1016
how do i check if mods are working? nothing changed, and im sure mods are active in mods menu
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (141 KB, 1640x995) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
141 KB, 1640x995
>>338140653
>>
>>338140320
Oh how very curious and infuriating.
Only general advice would be either: Make sure to delete all files in your cache (Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Cache) before booting the game, or to run the game as Admin as to ensure full permissions to access mod files.

If none of that works, and you can see noting of help on the mod installation page linked or subsequent forum posts I'm truly sorry but I can't help.

>>338140329
There was IIRC a separate CBP LAN/multiplayer version in development since running modded Multiplayer games in Civ 5 is huge LUA fuckery. So without that MP specific mod I think not.

>>338140449
Diplo victory was always a scapegoat victory IMO. ToA is always good, but honestly if you can take the city that built it it's just as good (You only really want that %food multiplayer on all cities anyway) ALWAYS get oracle, it's generally easy to build and terrific (And later on so you can actually build more than two cities than rush wonders!).
>>
I have found that the biggest nigger is not Shaka.
>>
>>338140653
They are not working sadly, Jungle base yields in the CBP are 2 food 1 production.

Try clearing your cache
>>338140754
(Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Cache) before booting the game,

If that doesn't work, again - no idea sadly.
>>
I've been having a lot of fun going full Jew with Venice, is that viable on higher difficulties, or would I get my shit pushed in?
>>
>>338140754
Looks like I'm going to have to do some fiddling. Thanks for the advice, anon.
>>
Reminder that Venice has literally won Diplomacy and Saudi Arabia is going to reach a victory condition soon
>>
>>338141091
Absolutely viable with some caveats:
1: On higher difficulties AI gets Free techs and more science early, so your extra Venice trade-routs = Even more Science since they have a tech lead.
2: You won't be calming land for cities so AI's won't wanna murder you for 'forward settling.

- You will need a lot more military might or those snowballing AI's will push your shit in, pillage your trade routs and jizz in your Venetian canals.

>>338141129
Shame it didn't work so easily for you, never had that issue with anyone else before. Hope you can figure it out and enjoy a refreshingly different game or two of civ.
>>
Is there any way i can stop the Community Patch giving Dromons to every civ? They seem incredibly OP and not verry historically accurate.
>>
>>338141393
Ahh there's actually a huge debate going right now on nerfing Dromons (rightly so) http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=567527

I agree they are way too crazy good at what they do, as far as rectification until (Possible) re-balancing may be made, there may be a way to change a line in an .xml file to disable/tweak them - but such specific knowledge would take me far too long to figure out myself.
>>
how is egypt in this game?
>>
>>338123236
>haven't played for 4 months
>feel like playing

Circle closes
>>
>>338141694
In the CBP or Vanilla Civ 5?
Wonder builder specialists with an inclination to early combat due to their UA. So great for lower AI level players, but on anything higher than maybe king near useless since AI likely will out-tech you and build wonders before you can tech them anyway.
>>
>>338141861
>haven't played in a year
>finals coming up
>urge to procrastinate intensifies
>play one marathon game for 15 hours straight

HELP
>>
>>338141678

My last game on Community Patch was as Denmark. Carthage declared war on me early, but I rushed Berserkers and took her capital. I celebrated for all of 2 seconds before my new vision revealed the bay outside her capital.

A sea of Dromons, backed up by Quinqueremes.

What followed was one of the most retarded wars I've ever fought. I'd take a coastal city with a sacrificial unit, then the following turn the Dromon army (which by the end had several units with +1 range) would burn that unit to the ground and a quinquereme would take the city. I'd then take the city back the following turn, thus killing the quinquereme, knowing that eventually Carthage's melee naval force would run out, and the Dromons, whilst making every coastal tile a no-go zone, couldn't take cities on their own. In the meantime I moved trebuchets up around Carthage and rush-built suicide triremes which flung themselves against the dromon hordes the turn after they were built. They would die horribly afterwards, but every dromon that fell was a victory.

But then Dido started to send her navy against my city state allies as well, which were no more up to the challenge than I was. So i settled for scorched earth. Every city I took, I razed. It took time, and more sacrificial units, but finally Carthage was denied the ability to make more flammenboots. I took their final city and the fleet dispersed.
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (258 KB, 1644x969) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
258 KB, 1644x969
ok i managed to install patch from http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=553187 instead, so what are these colors, i saw an orange one too
>>
>>338142476
On the plus side, non CBP AI SUCKS at naval warfare so. hard.

Dromons are far too good, but can currently only be countered (era specific) by MORE DROMONS sadly. So if you have coastal cities in CBP you really need to have a decent navy (Of dromons) Silly, but that's how it is.

>>338142661
NICE that is working 100%
So those new colors you will love; when you hover over any city in the game of yours:
GREEN ties are WORKED tiles (without entering the fucking city screen every time)
PURPLE tiles are the tiles the city is likely to grab on next bored expansion. RED tiles (IIRC) are tiles that are shared with another city (In a 3 hex radius or less)

If you hover your settler over a settle location a big grey box shows up showing EXACTLY what tiles that city can work at max workable radius (3 tiles out)

There's tons on Quality of life stuff like this on the CBP, so once you figure it out you won't go back!
>>
>>338141678
Thanks, i will just live with it then until it's changed. This is why i hate using mods, they always add something stupid that inbalances the game.
>>
>>338143023
There's stuff I disagree with on the CBP also, I disabled all the changes that removed city state gold gifting when it was first pushed through heh.

If it really irks you a post on the forums will likely give you an answer on what to change to rectify the problem yourself. It's just the nature of drastic gameplay changing mods that some stuff changed is going to be contentious ect until it's better balanced or removed yourself.
>>
>>338142000
I know that feel anon. Don't do what I did and marathon marathon-matches, I fucked my sleep cycle, gained weight and still got a distinction lel

nice digits
>>
>"We're peaceful people"
>meanwhile a village is burning in the background
>>
>>338139143
LETS GO
>>
>>338139143
>>338143692
Re-roll
>>
File: Composite_bowman_(Civ5).png (72 KB, 180x220) Image search: [Google]
Composite_bowman_(Civ5).png
72 KB, 180x220
The one unit who always has your back.
>>
I only ever play Germany and England and I always go out of my way to destroy Montezuma, Hiawatha, Isabelle, and Alexander
>>
>>338138805
>Ever declare war on a Civ for settling in those last couple of tiles on your perfect island continent?
Yes, many, many times
>>
>>338123236
What are some fun strats I can try in my games? I haven't actually used long-term plans until recently, but it's so much more fun that way.
>>
>>338144702

Oh wait until you play against Washington in the Community Patch. That motherfucker can buy tiles belonging to other Civs.

Never had a game where I didn't end up declaring war on him before the game was half-way complete.
>>
>>338139143
rolli
>>
>>338145439
Oh fuck I nearly forgot.

Washington Forward settles me big time, so I declare war on the homo. Joke's on you faggot I got some shiny new swordsman time to get fucked. He fucking buys my worked iron (6) tile in my forward settled city netting me a combat penalty AND the inability to heal my swordsmen until I get more iron.

I was in equal parts incredibly impressed at the CBP AI there and incredibly pissed off at Washington. Fuck that guy so hard.
>>
>>338139143
eh, lets roll
>>
>>338139143
Let's do this shit
>>
>>338139143
rolling for new start
>>
>>338147230
>France
Fuck yea-
>Science Victory
fuck
>>
File: 1310571199396.jpg (10 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
1310571199396.jpg
10 KB, 240x200
>>338123236
>favorite civs
Tied between Germany, Japan and England.
>mortal enemy
Pachacuti, he's a total faggot.
>>
>>338139143
>>rolling
>>
>>338139143
wooblyboop
>>
>>338139143
im bored. lets play :^)
>>
>Tfw playing the Alpha Centauri mod
>>
Civ Anime when?
>>
File: 1461339397802.gif (730 KB, 245x206) Image search: [Google]
1461339397802.gif
730 KB, 245x206
>>338139143
roll out!
>>
>>338139143
HERE WE GO
>>
>>338139143
roll now
>>
>>338139143
Rollan'
>>
>>338139143
Rollllll
>>
>>338141678
>A-hyuk, Dromons aren't the problem, you are!
I hate people like this
>>
File: Tank.png (42 KB, 188x173) Image search: [Google]
Tank.png
42 KB, 188x173
>like TANKS
>Game always ends BEFORE TANKS

How do I solve this!? Industrial start is lame.
>>
>>338128678
Did you spend a great engineer on a tile you can't exploit?
>>
>>338139143
Rolling this.
>>
>>338149784
Do your part to keep the peace until the time is right.
>>
>>338139143
Rrrrrrol
>>
>>338132132
That got really, really out of hand.
>>
>>338128678
>citadels fucking everywhere with 0 gain to your empire
>manufactuary out of range of all cities
>city on research production

this is bait
>>
>>338152231
Yeah he was in the information era before I was halfway through the modern era and the other guys were somewhere in industrial. I've pretty much given up on that game.
>>
>>338152483
Civ AI is so truly fucking retarded and anyone who plays MP (who isn't your friend) tryhards like fuck, so you can't have fun games where wars turn into WWI trench fighting where nobody gets anywhere but everything dies

tfw the only decent friend who might play civ doesn't like it
>>
>>338149784
>ever using tanks
once you get to the modern day era you can just rush past them and straight into death robots
>>
>>338123236
>Favorite civ to play
Elizabeth because Longbowmen are awesome, ship of the lines are overpowered as fuck when you can use them (mostly because the AI is retarded when it comes to naval warfare), and the beautiful musical themes evoke extreme amounts of patriotism.

Dido because she's a traitorous bitch literally every time you meet her
The Incas usually end up raping everything though.
>>
>>338149784
I like tanks too, it's a shame that the techs for them are usually so far out of the way compared to stuff you'd much rather go for.
There's a lot of mods out there that massively slow scientific progress though, while keeping production the same. You might want to try that.
>>
>>338124918
>>Every Civ is basically buffed to Poland-levels, diversifying their playstyles greatly
>playing civ
>AI gets poland
>shit on them every time
>poland? more like pooland
>today random poland
>FREE SOCIAL POLICIES
>THAT FUCKING STABLE IMPROVEMENT
>mfw
>>
>>338139143
all day
>>
>>338123236
>Favourite
England, because I like warring, and their UU's allow for war. Their theme makes it all the more fun as well

>Mortal enemy
There are many, but I would argue Hiawatha.
Claims all the land with shitty cities
Is aggressive as fuck
Acts high and mighty when you war on others
I mean even Alexander is this much a bitch
>>
>>338149784
it is not really hard to get them, i like to start them early (horsemen) to get march and blitz.
>>
File: Rape.gif (280 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
Rape.gif
280 KB, 320x180
>>338149784
>Fire up a game in which I want to be a warlike dick
>Huge pangaea
>Spend the years fighting
>Reach Modern Armor
>Get Lighting Warfare
>mfw I have Modern Armor with Blitz, March and that ignore ZOC
>>
>find an ancient ruin but don't take it
>abuse a city state to give a scout 60 xp
>bring it back to the ruin
>savescum until it gives a unit upgrade
>abuse the city state even more
>tfw a ranged unit with +50% defence (Survivalism), +50% ranged defence (Cover), health regen, no terrain movement penalties and eventually +1 range & double attack
>your very own near invincible hero unit
Bonus points if you're a Civ that gets an extra powerful scout or ranged unit
It's pretty impractical in the end, but it's fun.
>>
>>338153280
>Install Call To Power Community Project
>It adds pre-historic and future eras
>Adds bunch of teches on each era
>Each era is slow as fuck even on normal speed
This is torture, any mod that does this thing where they add teches just so that you could unlock a single thing that gives like +1 Happiness is cancer
>>
favorite? incans why? mother fucking OP terrace farms, find some mountains and grow huge ass citys early game with all the 2-production 5 food you can get.

most hated? greece, fuck them and all their city states you being allied with them all just gives me a opportunity to conquer you and your faggot friends
>>
>>338125269
What were you trying to do?
>>
>start up a new game
>get placed right next to montezuma
>neither of us do much to each other
>suddenly he declares war on me
>kill one of his units
>he then immediately asks for peace, asking for control of my cities each time
>this happens cyclically for the next 3000 years
Why is Montezuma such a piece of shit?
>>
>>338143667
>this land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind
>>
>>338160479
Because he lives in the shadow of other, better native American civs, such as the Maya's, the Inca's and Pocket Cello
That's why he is salty as fuck
fun fact, all the Native American leaders are huge dicks
>>
File: Sardag_Roose_Bolton_profile.jpg (26 KB, 449x640) Image search: [Google]
Sardag_Roose_Bolton_profile.jpg
26 KB, 449x640
>>338160803
>A peaceful land, a quiet people
>>
>>338123236
>Favorite civ to play
Inca because they don't give a fuck about hills, get better archers, FARMS ON HILLS NEXT TO MOUNTAINS and work with pretty much any playstyle
Alexander is a massive turbocunt 24/7, even warmonger leaders like Shaka or Attila can be bros under certain circumstances, but not this fag
>>
>>338139143
pls be comfy
>>
>>338123445
With just one more turn.
>>
>>338139143
Here goes nothing
>>
>>338139143
Aww hell im already playing Empire: Total war i don't really have time for a new civ game...

Oh what the hell, rolling!
>>
>yfw
I-I w-w-wanted to sell the scout anyway
>>
File: 1456703365325.jpg (75 KB, 1171x829) Image search: [Google]
1456703365325.jpg
75 KB, 1171x829
>>338132132
>it's a "the civ you're at war with nukes your city he wants to conquer every turn" episode.
>>
>>338162837
If you haven't won before the other civs go nuclear you fucked up lad
>>
>>338162815
poor little white guy
>>
File: 91e5cc44330c98701be3703a9d1df15c.jpg (942 KB, 1913x1048) Image search: [Google]
91e5cc44330c98701be3703a9d1df15c.jpg
942 KB, 1913x1048
seems appropriate
>>
File: tmp_5317-zQJhK1744620671.png (220 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
tmp_5317-zQJhK1744620671.png
220 KB, 640x480
Gents I have a dilemma. I got 2 solid rolls yesterday and today but I don't know which one to play

>Rome, Fractal, Science
>Indonesia, Archipelago, Domination

Wat do?
>>
>>338163651
Archipelago is boring to play because civ ai cant into naval combat, making domination even worse
>>
>>338163651
Do the Archipelago one but with sea level on low, that actually makes super cool continents
>>
>>338163784
Even with CBP?
>>
File: FUCK OFF, WE'RE FULL.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
FUCK OFF, WE'RE FULL.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>338163402
>>
loling
>>
>tfw going for the Llanfairpwllgwyngyll achievement
Maximum fun
Going from the usual tall games of 1-3 cities to having 33 fucking cities is real interesting. I did it on King too I think, instead of settler or something like a pansy.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-19-23-47-39.jpg (486 KB, 1440x965) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-19-23-47-39.jpg
486 KB, 1440x965
>>338123236
>go on Civ Fanatics forums
>see someone saying they like Civ 6's art style
>agree with them
>get called a troll by the mods

kek
>>
UUUUUUUU SHAKA
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU SHAKAAAAA
>>
>>338166076
M O D S
A R E
G O D S

even on civfanatics

to be fair, you were asking for it with such a shit opinion
>>
>all those screenshots with the disgusting vanilla UI

ENHANCED USER INTERFACE

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=21929
>>
>>338166593
I don't like it, all that stuff on the sides and the overwhelming dropdown tooltip get in the way and kill my immersion.
>>
>>338167094
both of those can be turned off, it's what i do

i mainly use it for the city radius and the quicker strategic resources details
>>
>>338166593
While EUI provides the player with much more info, it looks so terrible and ugly
It could look sleek, nice and still provide all the info, see EL
But no, let's just smack everything down around the edges
>>
>>338139143
rells
>>
>>338125269

Don't turns take fucking forever?

I never manage to finish a Military victory because controlling units becomes such a hassle.
>>
>>338142000
Eh, just do one more turn
>>
>>338167236
Ah, yeah that could come in handy, I'll reconsider for my next game.
>>
Is 4X the most stagnant genre there is?
You played one, you fucking played them all. There hasn't been a major change to the formula since SMAC
>>
>>338167824
Could be said about most genres, but sure whatever
At least it ain't RTS
Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.