[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the japanese obsession with killing deities, /v/? Cant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: obsession.jpg (68 KB, 734x441) Image search: [Google]
obsession.jpg
68 KB, 734x441
Whats the japanese obsession with killing deities, /v/?

Cant they stand having other than their beloved Emperor?
>>
but thats an american rpg

also probably because japan hasnt got any real judeo-christian history, its just like how americans are obsessed with ganesh and pentagrams--its vaguely exotic and mysterious
>>
>>321877943

>but thats an american rpg

But since character is japanese, I found it quite funny. Like a little poke at nose.

>also probably because japan hasnt got any real judeo-christian history, its just like how americans are obsessed with ganesh and pentagrams--its vaguely exotic and mysterious

But using symbols and such is one thing and obsessively placing "lol lets kill all deity pantheon" in plot of 90% JRPGs is something I find weird.

Like if automatically assuming that every form of spirits are evil or expendable. All of this, while they always had cult of local deities.
>>
File: 1423146459421.gif (182 KB, 190x190) Image search: [Google]
1423146459421.gif
182 KB, 190x190
>Whats the japanese obsession with killing deities, /v/?
Bad translations.
>>
>>321878507

Well, if you want to get into it, i would suggest researching manicheaism and shinto approaches to god figures. the west has an idea of an immortal hegemonic king-god, the east generally sees physical gods as lesser beings masquerading as true divinity.
>>
>>321878884

Explain, please. All the translators make the same mistake to make sales go wild?
>>
>>321877652
they read nietzsche?
>>
>>321878972
神 is a chore to translate, and weebs doesn't care.

Most of the time "spirit", as in an spiritual being of other plane/realm would be more appropriate.
>>
>>321878972
in our culture, there's one God
in their culture, just about any supernatural creature could be called a god
>>
>>321877652

god doesn't mean the same thing in japanese culture and religion that it does in western culture. In japan gods can have vast or very little powers and be as mortal as human beings.
>>
>>321879226
>>321879174
>>321878957

I guess, but this does not explain, why they are always "evil". Or, like lately with Xenoblade Chronicles, with aliun being "good" and human's being "bad".

>>321879086

Nietzsche statements had much more deeper meanings, basically "not acting" instead of "not existing (anymore)".

>>321879114

Pretty interesting, I must say. Thank you.
>>
>>321879683

Think of the western concept of a god translated into japanese culture, it would be a powerful all knowing being who demands complete subservience, rewarding those who believe with heaven and punishing those who don't with hell. With the japanese concept of god that just sounds like a tyrant of some kind.
>>
>god of war
>>
>>321880091

Even funnier, when you consider how much of those "punish with hell" elements were added, instead of beign present within "core" beliefs.

Or how whole "sex is bad" came from Greek (Corinth, to be more precise) influences and some of their interesting philosophical movements.

But yeah, I can get it. Sounds more like wrapped and twisted image but thats how they probably saw it, when first missionaries came. Im also aware, how hard it is for asians in general to switch to monodeistic system but when they do, they tend to be even more "fanatical".
>>
>>321879174
>in our culture
How specific
>>
Japan is a land of short people. They hate anything higher than they are. Higher beings, especially.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.