[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why isn't there an Ark Survival Evolved thread in /vg/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 10
File: header.jpg (53 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
53 KB, 460x215
Why isn't there an Ark Survival Evolved thread in /vg/? I thought it was fairly popular.

Anyway, does anyone play?
>>
Why dont you make a thread in /vg/ then?
>>
>>332692501
I don't know :^)
>>
there used to be one last summer but i've quit since then so I stopped following
>>
>>332692391
I always wondered too. I know some people were disappointed when it came out but its been getting high speed updates ever since. /v/ said it was shit then my best friend convinced me to play it, haven't stopped playing this shit for over a month now.
>>
>>332693670
I'm looking at renting a server (in EU), so just looking around to see if anyone is interested in joining. Nothing too ridiculous in terms of rates, something like 2x xp, 2x gather and 4x tame.
>>
>>332692501
>Why dont you make a thread in /vg/ then?
Because if starting a new general without knowing if there's interest is retarded.
That's now how generals work.
>>
>>332693838
Funny we're gonna make our own too. Mainly because we want PVP but we want it to have a few rules and be reasonable. What better way than to be the enforcers ourselves?

Those rates sound pretty good, btw what I've noticed some servers doing is they give people a "starter pack" so they can get building/moving a little faster before getting grabbed/ganked. And on some PVE servers you spawn with a mount from a small pool, just so you can gtfo the spawn to somewhere unpopulated fast to build. Think about those concepts a bit as well.
>>
>>332692391
>Anyway, does anyone play?
I started playing it a bit earlier this week.
Made a thread yesterday and got no replies.

Tried it at a friends place and think I might get it myself, don't think my computer will handle it well, and not sure the old-new one I will get from a friend will either, but I'll see.
>>
>never going to be finished indie multiplayer survival crafting game #37487686

Gee i wonder why such a throw away title has no dedicated thread
>>
>>332693989
>And on some PVE servers you spawn with a mount from a small pool, just so you can gtfo the spawn to somewhere unpopulated fast to build.
Seems shit.
Plenty of spawn points to pick from.
>>
>>332692391
There was one for a long while, I guess it died.

Just like /civ4xg/
;_;
>>
>>332693993
Yeah, it's quite a demanding game.
>>332693989
I was thinking of doing PVE server with PVP hours (6pm to midnight) to prevent offline raiding.
>>
>>332694057
Yet it's been sitting at the top 10 most played on steam for months.

Salty ass nigger
>>
File: civ4x.png (411 KB, 915x824) Image search: [Google]
civ4x.png
411 KB, 915x824
>>332694156
We'll be back
>>
>>332694057
>fist entered EA almost a year ago
>still #15 in global top sellers
>throwaway
>>
There was one, was really active until like June of last year.
Then the PvP Server died, the PvE server slowly bled to death when everyone switched to a public world to be AquaLads and defeat the damn Yellow Scourge Chinese fuckers.
>>
>>332694057
At the risk of being called a shill, I really will declare this one is a bit diff. I've been through a shitload of these types of games but this team actually seems to put something new and substantially sized every few weeks. There's been more to do on it than for example. Space Engineers, The Forest, and Stranded Deep all combined. I've probably found up to 10x more shit to do than in those. Its mainly cause the environment is large, there's an absolute assload of stuff to craft, and the dinosaurs really keep you on your toes. I do PVE and cant even imagine being on a brutal PVP server, the dinos alone are already a huge factor in getting anything done or not.

It feels really fucking rad to ride around on a Spinosaur and chomp up all those little shits that made your life hell up to that moment.

My friend convinced me to just install and play, and I swear to you, I didn't even know it was Early Access till days later when I checked the store page for news.
>>
>>332692391
>>332693838
>>332693993
>>332693989
>>332694057
Yes guys DONT EVER play on official server, it is trollier than league of legends. ALWAYS play a private server. ALWAYS.
>>
>>332692391
Seems pretty fun, only played for a few hours though.

Looked at some videos though and it looked pretty bad.
10 people riding around on some yetis and shooting rocket launchers at some steel walls.
Meh.

I think I'd prefer a more low tech arch.

Seems like you can't work the enviroment much sadly.
And building controls could be better.
>>
>>332694384
>I didn't even know it was EA

this. this happened to me too. it feels so fucking finished!!! i like that the dev team talks smack about other EA games who collect cash then only update once every 4 months
>>
>>332694313
Samefag
Another issue were the patches that added the Ape Grass Collector and the ones up to the Flingable Monkey made a shit ton of downtime, and the game was so retardedly optimized at that point. My average rig ran it at 45 fps, but another /arkg/ had a beast computer and pulled 20 fps
>>
>>332694534
There are servers that only allow low tech and they're pretty fun, I've considered it.

I also saw one that was not only low-tech but disallowed flying mounts. So everyone supposedly had to create a merchanteering system where the folks who live near the volcanos have bronto and paracer "caravans" bringing around metal and obsidian that people trade shit like pearls or chitin for.
>>
>>332694293
We better be. I leave the general for only two months to play some other genres, and come back to discuss new & upcoming 4x and there's no one there. /gsg/ just tells 4x to fuck off.
>>
>>332694773
>bronto and paracer "caravans"
>the server makes it so this is actually necessary via low tech/no flight

JESUS CHRIST I need to find this server that sounds AWESOME
>>
>>332694884
I can't wait for a revival... I just found it after I got my addiction started.
>>
>>332692391
>Vidya game jurassic park crossed with RUST

How the fuck did I not know about this?!?!
>>
>>332694773
Damn that sounds awesome.

Flight in itself is amazing, but it does take away from other types of gameplay.
>>
Enjoyed it but it seems every server has lag spikes and it just feels like shit.
>>
File: Civ5UpgradeChartMod.png (181 KB, 1342x828) Image search: [Google]
Civ5UpgradeChartMod.png
181 KB, 1342x828
>>332694884
I had been away for I think 6 months and then returned on its literal last day.
Last op gave up and I tried remaking the thread 2-3 times and then also gave up.

The occasional /v/ thread is good. For now.
>>
>>332695034
You've never heard of Ark? It's been around for almost a year :p
>>
>>332695042
I feel the same way. Like the beaver that came out recently. Its a really fucking amazing mount. Its a smithy, it reduces the weight of what it carries, it has decent stats, and it can swim very fast.

Yet its fucking useless, because its level 55 and of course you have a Pteranodon or Avis you're doing shit on.

But on no flight? Suddenly that becomes a premiere useful mount. Incredibly useful.
>>
>>332692391
>he wasnt around for the purging of the chineese
>>
Do you have fun building in Ark?

Haven't gotten into it much yet, but how does it compare to say Minecraft building?
I guess MC has an edge thanks to being able to shape the terrain to your liking.
>>
>>332695389
I ended up moving and not having internet for a while.
Did the AquaLads win, Anon?
>>
OP here.

So, if I was to rent a server tomorrow, lets say 32 slots to begin with (more if someone is willing to chip in), who would be interested? Would be looking at 2x gather, 2x xp, 4x tame as a starting multiplier, still unsure about the pve/pvp, though.

Also, I wouldn't want to be using admin commands, so if shit gets lost due to bugs, it'll have to stay that way, etc.
>>
>>332695457
It feels slow on 1x rate if you build with Metal and sometimes slow with stone depending on area. Wood is usually defensive enough and thats always fast. There's a lot to build and it feels very satisfying to get a generator and wire your electricity around and /finally/ have lamps and refrigerators
>>
>>332695457
ARK building is shit mechanically, a massive pain in the ass to conduct. But the shit you build is important and useful, unlike minecraft.
>>
File: pen.jpg (39 KB, 348x333) Image search: [Google]
pen.jpg
39 KB, 348x333
>>332694773
>>332694905
This actually makes pirates/raider tribes viable. Imagine a server revolved around people who are making an honest living farming and selling, protecting caravans, etc and those who play to raid caravans. It would be like EVE Online in caveman times.
>>
>>332695710
Sounds cool but I don't know if 4x taming is enough. In my opinion the longest you should ever have to wait to tame something is maybe an hour, for the absolute best and most powerful dinos out there. Otherwise it's such a pain in the ass it's not worth bothering with, I never tame on 1x servers since I don't want to sit there babysitting an inventory for hours on end to get anything good.
>>
>>332696212
The no flyer seems interesting. Might be tempted to do that.
>>
>>332695457
it takes a lot longer, but dammit if it isn't satisfying getting that small stone base up that you yourself worked so hard on to build

and then a fag with a t-rex or grenades shows up
>>
>>332696293
Maybe 5x at most? Anything more is just too easy. You shouldn't be able to tame up, lets say a high level rex in the early levels with ease. The game would get far too boring too quickly if you're able to tame the best of the best in an hour.
>>
>>332696293
Taming doesn't need to be for everyone.
You don't have to literally sit there, you can put food, force feed it sleep stuff and then do other stuff.
>>
>>332696497
I don't see how taming a Rex at low level would be possible. You'd have to somehow knock it out, gather enough food, and enough tranquilizers to keep it down.

I understand your concerns, but at the same time I feel having long tame timers is a huge detriment to gameplay. I wish there were a way to change individual tame timers, so that anything Carno sized or smaller would be easily achievable by a solo player but the real leviathans would require huge preparation and a lot of backup.
>>
File: 1454120400181.jpg (42 KB, 800x587) Image search: [Google]
1454120400181.jpg
42 KB, 800x587
>>332696293
No, slow taming is the only thing I wouldn't mess with.

There's a reason it takes so long, the game is even slower without dinos and their specialization to cut wood, gather berries, move you around, etc.

It also makes PvP a lot more riskier, and makes people in general less douchebaggy. Think about it: is it really worth it to risk those mammoths or that t-rex you took hours upon hours to tame for some measly resources you may or may not want?

With fast taming people have more freedom to do whatever they want, including being a dick with little consequence when you can replace that t-rex or giant eagle in around an hour.

Don't mess with the taming speed, this is the big mistake that leads to the downfall of servers, I say this as someone with several thousands of hours put in the game and has seen the process repeated over and over.
>>
>>332697078
Well, default is certainly far too slow. It's impossible to do anything of note when you don't have a lot of consecutive time to play. I mean I play several hours each day but they're all split apart, and the friends I play with all have the same issue.
>>
>>332692391

i dont play meme games
>>
>>332695710
Which map? TheIsland, Center, or Valhalla?

Kind of bored of TheIsland is all.
>>
>>332692391
A general was up for a long time, but it died for various reasons.

1) The servers were always down because of updates

2) Game is a massive timesink so the normies with jobs got mad when the NEETs would destroy and kill all their shit during sleeping time

3) Constant unberable autism on the 4chan servers
>>
>>332697772
Only ever played the original map.
>>
>>332697862
How many slots did the official server have? And what sort of settings?
>>
>>332698125
You mean the private server? It had 5x taming iirc
>>
>>332698257
Ah, right.
>>
File: 1441691416676.jpg (62 KB, 640x483) Image search: [Google]
1441691416676.jpg
62 KB, 640x483
Wasn't the general shut down because the /vg/ server they set up turned into a shit fest after some dudes pterodon got killed by another player?
>>
>>332699191
And then they convinced someone who was in that tribe to stay up late and open the gates/turn off the turrets so they could kill everything on easy mode and had the audacity to brag about it.
>>
>tfw overthrowing Chinese tyranny and establishing server dominance
>tfw clearing the way for future generations to have opportunities which would have been squashed by the red menace
>tfw crossing the Delaware on a 50k hp turtle with purple saddle and multiple stacks of c4
I am motherfucking George Washington and if you play pve or increased rate servers you are a nance
>>
>>332699191
sleep tight pizzer
>>
>>332699459
>if you play pve or increased rate servers you are a nance
or have a job
>>
>>332699459
does this happen anymore?

I want to fight the red menace
>>
>>332695389
>>332699459
Thank you for your service

signed, the President
>>
What's been added since I've played, which was when they added those amazing frogs
>>
File: Ark Survival Evolved.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Ark Survival Evolved.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>332692391
>>
So uh, if anyone is interesting in helping me with setting up a server tomorrow, would be cool. Need to decide what server hosting provider I'm going with and how many slots, etc.
>>
>>332700689
You don't want to play this game with 4chan
>>
>>332700568
Seems like a fair bit. Probably 6-7 dinos since frogs. Maybe more, not sure.
>>
>>332700742
Why not?
Fun to play mc with 4chan
>>
>>332700742
Stop assuming everyone from 4chan is a certain type of person.
>>
>>332700913
I'm not. You will get some people that are the nicest folks around and then some high school brats who are the loud, annoying minority that fuck it up for everyone.
>>
>>332701543
Wonder if there's a way to ignore people if shit like that happens.
>>
>>332692391
>early access open world multiplayer survival
Never heard that before
>>
>>332692391
Too lazy to read if its already posted but it died
The only reason it didn't 404 24/7 when it was active is because of drama there isn't much to talk about the game and as soon as people stopped bitching at each other no one posted.
>>
>>332692391
Used to own a small server with just friends and it was comfy as fuck. Then we caught everything and got bored. When the Giganato was released the game went full retard for a bit since it was literally invincible. After they fixed it we just never got back into it. Sorry for blog..
>>
Was a save feature ever added to this shitfest?

I rage quit after spending 7 hours in one session only to find out I couldn't even save my character and that's the way the game was intended to be played. Bullshit.
>>
>>332702274
Not really. They use gigas to raid you when you sleep and tell you "git gud" or when everyoen on the server complains to the admin they say it's admin abuse

ark is just not a good game for pvp and the pve eventually gets flatzoned out once you get everything
>>
I used to actively play this, then realized it'd never be finished and there's nothing to do after a certain point except have 2100 dinos to constantly feed. I'd play again if they added stuff like watertight structures
>>
>>332703005
Sort of. If you go to beacons some server let you upload your character and dinos so you can download them to another server. The only catch is that anything uploaded, is deleted from the current server.

Meaning if you want to save your character to play on a different server, you'll either have to abandon the current server or start a brand new character, same with dinos.
>>
>>332704060
what about SP to MP?
>>
>>332703171
>gigas
why the fuck did they introduce and continue to defend those retarded enormous server-destroying monstrosities
>>
>>332703005
>I rage quit after spending 7 hours in one session only to find out I couldn't even save my character and that's the way the game was intended to be played. Bullshit.
There's saving.
Exited the game, and the character was still there when I started it again.
>>
>>332704373
I don't think so
>>
>>332704472

>Everyone who plays the game complains about the Giga being wildly overpowered compared to everything else
>Devs are obstinate on Reddit and steam that the giga being that broken was always part of their plan for the game

Well fuck game. I bet they lost a lot of players because of it (me included). Having ETA's and then being a week late every time didnt help with showing how incompetent they are.
>>
File: 2015-03-03_21.39.44.png (1 MB, 1920x1018) Image search: [Google]
2015-03-03_21.39.44.png
1 MB, 1920x1018
How do you make neat farms in Ark?
>>
I'd like some more building options.

Grid, set the rotation to face North, or a degree 0-360.
Being able to snap to a grid.
>>
>>332705052
you build planters out of stone wood and other common materials. seeds are farmed from plants around the world, dinos like a stego make this easy; you only need 1 seed per planter but you will farm thousands before you know what you're even doing. then you need a pipe out of either more stone or metal and run the pipe from a water source to your farm. an intake from the water source will draw it into the piping and taps will allow it to flow out at your base onto the planters. rainwater will also give the plants full water, however crops will consume more water than rainwater can provide, so you'll need a constant source.
>>
>>332707456
but how do you make them neat?
>>
>>332707869
Aught of Tism.
>>
File: 1456284360776.jpg (85 KB, 492x379) Image search: [Google]
1456284360776.jpg
85 KB, 492x379
>>332703171
If we had a fair amount of admins, couldn't those small fuckers who ruin the fun just get banned so the rest of people could enjoy themselves? I feel it might be worth a shot.

>>332704472
>>332704998
Gigas are fucking stupid. There was a nice balance between the Spino and Rex, and surely they'd have something to balance against the Mosa, but jesus fuck the Giga breaks the entire flow of the game. It's so fucking stupid. Which especially sucks because I like the Giganotosaurus as a dinosaur, but this game is fucking it up.
>>
File: 1437201784317.png (922 KB, 900x1000) Image search: [Google]
1437201784317.png
922 KB, 900x1000
>Paying to play an Alpha
>>
>>332708782
>couldn't those small fuckers who ruin the fun just get banned so the rest of people could enjoy themselves?
See you could do that but autists feel offended and will go on a crusade to slander the server and call you a reddit sjw admin mod abusing faggot

You could have one of the server rules be that you can't completely demolish someone's base or kill their passives and ban people who go too far but that's another grey area
>>
>>332710594
>autists feel offended and will go on a crusade to slander the server and call you a reddit sjw admin mod abusing faggot
So? Who the fuck cares what a bunch of autistic retards think. If the server is populated with enough non-autists, then it doesn't matter if the fags try to slander it.
>>
>>332692391
ark needs serious redpilling, i've only heard good things about it
>>
>>332711082
It's an autistic grindfest that panders to NEETs who can play all the time

The Giganotosaurus singlehandedly breaks the games already shitty balance and can kill an entire pen of dinosaurs with ease

When you log out no matter how strong your dinosaurs are they have no match against a Giga mount

Last time I played was during the biome update, but aimbotters plague the official servers

No real end game or thing to work towards. There are artifacts you collect to summon a broodmother spider that isn't even an effort to kill.

I can go on. Horrible optimization etc. Devs have a bad end goal for the game and are only focused on throwing in more dinosaurs without balancing them properly.
>>
>>332711825
A major overhaul would probably be done once all the dino's are added.
>>
>>332712354
They still said they aren't doing anything about the giga and its relation to the other dinosaurs so fuck them

I doubt the game will change that much
>>
How should you do progression in this kind of game?
>>
What should you spend points on?

Some stamina so you don't have to pause while working, run further.

Skip melee if you're going for bows/guns I guess.

Movement speed is that useful? For traveling I guess you just go for a fast mount, but I figured that you could circle around some creatures if you have enough speed.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.