[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why does magic in video games suck?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: LordOfChaos_banner_GregManchess.jpg (164 KB, 1685x576) Image search: [Google]
LordOfChaos_banner_GregManchess.jpg
164 KB, 1685x576
lets face it /v/, even a first year at hogwarts could beat the kind of wizards you get in games like skyrim and dark souls. magic in fantasy books is almost always more impressive, but it always seems to lose that when translated to video games. playing a mage in bethesda games reminds me of that video of the LARP'er yelling lightning bolt.

does /v/ know of any games where you can play as a badass wizard mowing down normies?

pic related, wheel of time has awesome magic but is about eight books too long
>>
Lichdom Battlemage is what you want but man is it boring and grindy
>>
Because developers can't be bothered spending time in developing varied and impressive spells. Also because 'muh balance' which developers take to mean they should only give simple shit to mages instead of giving great spells to mages and also giving great abilities to other classes.

Dragon's Dogma and D&D based games (mostly the Infinity Engine ones) are some of the few games with some great magic in them.
>>
>>331233740
>Dragon's Dogma
Literally just fucking elemental damage spam spells. Fuck off
>>
Most games fail to display the force the weight behind spells. It always end with a bunch of numbers and the enemy flinching a bit or drop dead.
>>
Because impactful magic would inflict environmental damage and actually feel terrifying. Devs for whatever reason aren't capable of rendering this level of change and impact yet.
>>
>>331233192
Magic has to only do two things
Be flashy
Go pew pew
Be a long range attack
Have the trappings of magic like spell books and other bullshit.

That's it.
Being complex interesting or having rules to follow? That's too much work.
>>
Someone should make a game with a deep manipulatable magic system and market it as the first game with a "magic engine" built in. If it was well executed it would change the way developers think about powers in vidya.
>>
Because magic is only meant for villains, true heroes and protagonists are always rogues or fighters
>>
>>331234306
>Magic has to only do a few things
Goddamnit I'm retarded.
>>
>>331233857
>I like to talk about games I've never played
>>
>>331233857
He might also be referring to the visual presentation.

I really want a game with magic where I can pretty much blow up entire towns.
>>
>>331233192
Go self induce a coma and choke on a cock
>>
>>331234879
not this guy but please, magic is satisfying, but generic, it's only "big things that go boom"
>>
>>331233857
You fuck off! Nigger!
>>
>>331233192
>playing a mage in bethesda games reminds me of that video of the LARP'er yelling lightning bolt.
IT'S MAGIC MISSILE YOU OAF
>>
the mechanic for magic is "hold still while this bar fills". it sucks
>>
>>331235307
I feel like at a minimum magic in games should come with rhythm minigames, Paper Mario-style.
>>
I dunno man Planescape Torment had some pretty impressive spells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcGC2byVmoA&index=6&list=PL0426C4D8896B7144
>>
>>331235356

Arx fatalis
>>
>>331235486
PS:T has some FF-tier spell casting animations. Compared to most WRPGs some of the higher level spells go on for a while with actual cutscenes.
>>
Very complicated and interesting spellcasting - as seen in many table top games - is very, very hard to program into games. That being said, there are some magic mods in the TES games that make you able to play an all poweful arch-mage with shit like flight, mass mind control, mass summoning, but it's OP as shit.
>>
>>331233192
Computers aren't good with magic. Magic deals a lot with concepts and perceptions that are important and easily recognizable to people, but hard to quantify. Turning that into a system a computer can understand is somewhere between really hard and impossible.
>>
>>331235145
Lightning bolt is applicable as well.
>>
>>331234549
What else could you do other than making the casting bit more difficult? Arx Fatalis was a fresh breeze with the rune drawing mechanics.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.