[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK1 bolN73sQ Holy shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: dfgchvbjnm.jpg (71 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dfgchvbjnm.jpg
71 KB, 1280x720
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK1bolN73sQ

Holy shit those dislikes. Whats /v/s take on a digital only games industry?
>>
There's only a handful of analogue video games (Tennis for Two and such like) and they're worthless for reasons other than historical importance and technological novelty.
>>
>>330508186
I agree with him, I don't buy physical games anymore
>inb4 enjoy your drm
When if servers go down for good there's always piracy so I can easily get the games I had before. Physical is fucking shit... now we just have to wait for distributors to lower the price on digital copies because why am I paying full price for a game I'm download when the companies are no longer manufacturing them our shipping them.

A digital game should not cost the same as a physical game.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (43 KB, 220x319) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
43 KB, 220x319
>>330508927
you mad
>>
>>330508186
Is Rich done for? Also I completely disagree with him and as long as physical is an option and costs the same price I'm buying physical.
>>
>>330508186

Rich is a moron and so is anyone who watches his videos
>>
File: CY-fxcTWAAI_-kJ.jpg (70 KB, 599x756) Image search: [Google]
CY-fxcTWAAI_-kJ.jpg
70 KB, 599x756
>>
>>330508927
There's no tax on digital games, so you end up saving about $5-$6 ($59.99 + 8-9% = 64.79-65.39) or something like that
>>
Mobile is an all-digital platform
>>
>>330509042
Yeah I am. Fuck steam, origin, and Windows live.. They're not recouping shipping or manufacturing costs and they're not paying to keep a store open with employees. Sure they have to get some money for their servers up and tech/customer support but I can guarantee they're making more money than an eb games or gamestop.

I use gmg so it doesn't really matter since you get a discount there anyway.
>>
>>330508186
>now that the dust has settled
Stopped watching there.
>>
Digital only is cancer. Physical sales are one of the few things keeping publishers honest.
>>
I get used games for dirt cheap from gamestop and ebay and amazon
>>
>>330508186
DUH BIG CHEESE SKIPABODODOIYdTY
>>
>>330508616
Anyway, smartass response aside, I decided to answer seriously as well. It kinda showcases my key point already, though: all video games ARE digital. They are information. A "digital" copy contains exactly the same information as a "physical" one and this information can be replicated infinitely at no charge, including ability to store it in physical medium of your choice. Besides collectors who want to hoard pieces of plastic (and that's fine, just like collecting pieces of paper like stamps is fine, although I believe collectors tend to be better served by special "collector's editions" with figures, artbooks etc), there is no point in "physical copies". People with download caps or slow Internet connections could be served by services who purchase a license for you, make a copy on blu-ray and then sending it to you, replacing the "official" retail market, which is not needed.

You might say this last suggestion sounds outlandish and that's the problem! The current copyright laws don't make sense. Common practises (infecting media with anti-features such as DRM or technically or mechanically unjustifiable always-online requirements/no LAN support/whatever) don't make sense. I would argue the general idea of "purchasing" information rather than people acting as patrons doesn't make sense (although if you disagree, the other problems can be addressed independently of this, I'm not in mood for arguing about this right now). Etc. "Digital distribution" market right now might have its share of issues but they aren't inherent problems of "digital games" and as such are in no way an advantage to "physical" ones. And while laws might not have caught up to reality, in real practise the "advantages" are moot. For example, distributed data storage (which effectively happens in torrent file sharing) is much more reliable way of storing data than an optical disc, Steam shutting down its server is a non-issue because the games are already stored much more securely.
>>
File: 1368915073671.jpg (12 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
1368915073671.jpg
12 KB, 268x265
Physical and digital copies both need to exist, digital copies can prevent rarity of physical games keeping people from enjoying them and physical copies prevent a game from disappearing completely if taken off the market
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.