[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The reason for the HTC Vive delay was a "very, very big"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48
File: what am i doing with my life.jpg (3 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
what am i doing with my life.jpg
3 MB, 5184x3456
What could it be?

>HTC's Vive VR headset, being developed in collaboration with Valve, was supposed to be available to the public, in limited quantities, by the end of this year. Unfortunately, HTC put the brakes on that plan a couple weeks ago, saying it won't be released commercially—that is, to people other than developers—until April 2016. But there's apparently a good reason for the delay.

>As reported by Engadget, HTC CEO Cher Wang said at the Vive Unbound developers forum last week that the decision was made to hold off on the launch after Valve and HTC made a "very, very big technological breakthrough." So big, in fact, that the initial release version of the headset was suddenly rendered effectively obsolete.

>"We shouldn't make our users swap their systems later just so we could meet the December shipping date," Wang said.

>Unfortunately, she didn't reveal anything about the exact (or even vague) nature of breakthrough—which presumably isn't Smell-O-Vision 2.0—but on the upside we won't have to wait until April to find out: The new technology will be unveiled at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show, which runs from January 6-9 in Las Vegas.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-reason-for-the-htc-vive-delay-was-a-very-very-big-tech-breakthrough/?utm_content=buffera745c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgfb
>>
>>321019157
probably improved sensors that cheapen the price while making it run smoother
>>
Yeah right
>>
File: Neet gf.jpg (59 KB, 488x600) Image search: [Google]
Neet gf.jpg
59 KB, 488x600
HTC Vive comes with vr waifu confirmed.
>>
>>321021343
Are her fucking speakers stacked on-top of each other?
>>
A lot of speculation on HDR, which would do wonders for visual quality.

Personally, I hope they found a way to make the damn thing wireless. That or remove the lighthouses.
>>
>>321021461
She needs room for her books.
>>
>yfw this is the breakthrough
>>
>>321022138

hook me up and turn off the electricity
>>
>>321022138
Yes. My body is ready.
>>
File: Take my dosh.png (363 KB, 1000x1029) Image search: [Google]
Take my dosh.png
363 KB, 1000x1029
>>321022138
Goodbye world
>>
Yes, don't pre-order the oculus, wait for us to announce our "breakthrough" first, good goy.
>>
>>321021901
It definitely won't be wireless. There's just no way to override that much latency without coming into a bunch of issues or restrictions.

I mean christ, we can't even get decent wifi internet or mice response rates. A virtual display with head tracking and everything else is just out of the question. Period.
>>
File: zuckerberg.jpg (59 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
zuckerberg.jpg
59 KB, 500x280
>>321023041
They're announcing the "breakthrough" early January. The Oculus is coming Q1. I doubt the Oculus is coming THAT early in Q1.

Why are you so defensive for Zuckerberg?
>>
At this point I'm convinced that VR was just a joke from the beginning and that no company ever actually expected it to come out hence the constant delays and usually no updates for months.

Gabe is probably laughing his ass of right now.
>>
>>321023223
Oculus is doing pre-orders within 10 days. You don't need to take it that seriously.
>>
>>321021901
>>321023161
integrated lighthouse tracking
>>
>>321023041
CES is in like two weeks, chill

>tfw live in vegas but cant go because school wouldnt sign off on my forms
>>
It actually works now.
>>
>>321022138
>>321022530
>>321022560
>>321022662
more likely than you might think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhgOqyZHBIU&t=30m53s

>And for those of you who like science fiction, there's this great researcher at Cornell who's done a bunch of work decoding how to talk directly to your brain, sort of bypassing the front end of your optical system. In other words, she's actually just skipping the eye and talking directly into the peoples brains. Which really introduces sort of a bizarre "Snow Crash" reality way sooner than I would have guessed. So, she's solving the coding problem, [door distraction] there's the sort of the CCD front-end problem, which is kind of hard, and she's like well, that's a bitch, why don't we just skip that, figure out what the protocol is to talk to the brain. And it turns out, one of the interesting things, it's a way more compact representation of information, so, you know, that's gonna happen, that's something you guys should be thinking about, that your subjective experience of reality is probably going to be driven directly into your brain much sooner than I think most people expect. Which means you'll be playing games, and, you win!
>>
>>321022138
gimme gimme gimme
>>
>>321023247
"Umm, guys, it was just a Kickstarter scam, you can all relax now, holy shit dudes"
>>
They made the headband larger for fat people to support the VR audience.
>>
>waiting it out so I don't back the wrong horse in this race

Call me in a year when there's a clear winner and a decent library of compatible software
>>
>>321023609
High school fag
>>
>>321023609
>if you are well enough for CES you're well enough for school.
>>
File: 1416970451730.png (31 KB, 252x235) Image search: [Google]
1416970451730.png
31 KB, 252x235
VR goggles thread?

What games would be fun with VR? Doom might be a blast and worth the motion sickness.
>>
>>321023768
Vive is already the clear winner when it comes to gaymen.

Occulus is more focused on everything but playing games.

Samsung and PS VR is for the retards.
>>
>>321023654
Do people honestly believe that shit will even be legal or consumer-viable in their lifetime? The ethics police is going to have to go through revolution before we can get this kind of stuff.

But even if that happened, the tech probably still won't be advanced enough for full VR until very, very far in the future. I say this as a neuroscience student who has actually given a glance at the work Gabe's referencing.
>>
>>321019157
They joke about smell-o-vision but if handled properly that would legit add a lot to immersion. Not just obvious smells like food or gross shit, but being able to smell rain on concrete, or a field of wheat, or a lush forest, it would really hammer in the scene.
>>
File: SummerLesson.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SummerLesson.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>321023962
>>
>>321024071
>>
>>321024159
That would require sooooo much work from the developers though.
>>
>>321023962
Anything with a cockpit. Flight sims/space sims/ mecha games/racing games.

I hope this psuedo vr brings with it a renaissance or mecha games.
>>
>>321019157
does any headsets currently have a sensitive altimeter, currently all these headsets i know do a sudo processing height check or non at all breaking the experience.

Maybe this breakthrough is a cheap altimeter it would improve the quality of the directional movement.
>>
>>321023768
Vive is the winner already, made for full-room but the helmet itself works the same as Occulus, so it's fine to use for simple couch stuff as well, and not paying into Zuckerjew's pocket is a good bonus.

PSVR will be a side choice for PS4 exclusives and nothing more.
>>
File: 1450702115874.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450702115874.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>321024262
And Eve: Valkyrie, and The Climb, and basically every fucking developer who has been working with the Oculus Rift DK1 and DK2. There is almost no VR software coming out, game or not, that will not work with the Rift. Sony exclusives need not apply. HTC is supporting exclusives though, but that's only recently, so only their newer software will be exclusive, and seemingly only for a yet unannounced amount of time.
>>
>>321019157
It's probably more DRM.
>>
>>321024757
Pretty sure the DRM thing was a misunderstanding
>>
>>321024564
Hopefully someday soon I will be released from the hell that is MechWarrior Online.
>>
the golden age is coming boys, 2016 is only the beginning of the beginning

>>321023247
>I haven't been paying attention to anything except the occasional article posted on /v/

>>321023768
I wish I could make myself wait. I'm just too much of an enthusiast/evangelist. Plus, Oculus has more support at this point, and I trust Carmack.

>>321023962
With the current state of things, the best VR experiences are going to be stationary- simulators, that sort of thing.

I'm hoping someone makes a quality mech game soon.

I am really excited to play open-world first person games in VR, though. The sense of exploration would be magnified a thousandfold.

>>321024071
>Oculus is more focused on everything but playing games.
(Not true, by the way)

>>321024146
>expecting /v/ to be reasonable or fact-check anything

>>321024709
Oculus has full-room support, it's just designed for desk VR first, which is what 99 percent of people who buy it will be using it for.
>>
>>321024146
> until very, very far in the future.

So 2020 then
>>
>>321024159
Smell-o-vision requires consumables to function.
Nothing would be more immersion-breaking than "SMELLOVISION DIRT TANK RUNNING LOW, PLEASE REPLACE"
>>
>>321024159
Smell isn't light. In both sense of the word. Imagine buying a fucking smellovision syrup tank and plugging it into your big dumb helmet while it churns away synthesizing all sorts of different smells at a moment's notice just for a dumb gimmick. Until they find a way to plug directly into your skull and spoof the impulses for certain specific smells, smellovision will be a retarded idea.
>>
Maybe I'm just getting old but I have no interest in VR.

When I work all day and come home to play vidya I want to lounge on my couch or sit at my desk without bullshit strapped to my face.
>>
>>321024819
>go to developer.htcvive.com
>see "Download DRM SDK (0.8.0.0)" right at the top of the stack

ayy
>>
>>321024852
Yo Carmack, did you install gentoo yet?
>>
>>321024852
>Oculus has full-room support
Yeah you just have to buy all the add-ons that come with the HTC Vive as standard.
>>
Anyone that will buy either on release is dumb anyway. We'll need to wait and see which one turns out better and which one has more games. It might just end up like console wars, with tons of exclusives on either and you'll need to buy both to actually play all the game you want.
>>
>>321024071
Oculus is actually funding the development of games while Valve sits around working on their SteamVR software and HTC spew lies and excuses to their consumer base.

This is why I'm glad /v/ doesn't talk about VR much. You kids can't rise above petty system-wars and just appreciate how amazing the technology is from all sides. You thrive on your "my toy is better" discussions and don't do any research on the actual hardware or companies behind them.

The Vive controllers, by the way, only last 20-30 minutes before they need to be charged (for 3-5 hours). No, the Vive is not the "clear winner". Pull your head out of Gabes ass and think for yourself.
>>
>>321025070
Palmer here, Carmack's too busy trying to get VR to run on a calculator to fuck with Loonix. :^)

>>321025105
>all the add-ons
so one extra lamp which comes with the touch controllers anyway

>>321025226
so much this
>>
>>321025105
>have small room
>all I want to do is play flight simulators
>don't want to spend hours standing up doing shit
>have to get all that extra shit because I'm buying a Vive

And that's why it's better as an option for people. Room-scale is mostly just a nice option and a cherry on top.
>>
>>321025226
I wanna be an Oculus shill as well.
How much do you make per day, m8?
>>
>>321025291
>so one extra lamp which comes with the touch controllers anyway
Yeah, the expensive addons that come as standard with the Vive.
Why would I spend more money for the same product owned by Facebook?
>>
>>321025226
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3xpddw/he_tried_oculus_rift_cv1_htc_vive_htc_organizers/cy6wyg7
>The release people have taken to calling the VDK2 has the controller receivers in the headset, well away from the PC and all its S-band noise. Plus the new controllers have vastly improved battery life and can be used cabled for when your battery dies at an inopportune time.
>>
>>321024146
>Do people honestly believe that shit will even be legal or consumer-viable in their lifetime? The ethics police is going to have to go through revolution before we can get this kind of stuff.

Explain. Also, if you've given the work an actual glance, link it.
>>
>>321025342
>have to get all that extra shit because I'm buying a Vive
Yeah and it's not more expensive for it, it's a thing you just have if you ever want to use it.
It's like complaining you get USB cables with phones because you already have some.
>>
>>321022101
seems like a pretty good bookend that right speaker hu anon
>>
>>321024146
>Do people honestly believe that shit will even be legal or consumer-viable in their lifetime? The ethics police is going to have to go through revolution before we can get this kind of stuff.
We don't all live in Communist China, anon.
>>
File: 1428210671389.jpg (1 MB, 2800x4000) Image search: [Google]
1428210671389.jpg
1 MB, 2800x4000
>>321022138
No glopping no buy.
>>
maybe they can make them look like this
>>
File: 1404190954837.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
1404190954837.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
>oh cool a VR thread
>it's actually just shills trying to fuck each other
>>
>>321025393
A headset bundled with two motion tracking controllers and two receivers isn't going to be the same price as a headset bundled with a bone controller and one reciever.

You don't have to buy the touch controllers.

>people still crying about facebook
If zuckerberg was going to fuck things up, we would have heard about it already.
You'll get your waifus.

>>321025729
There's that word again.
>>
>>321024146
Once it is advanced enough and gets released in one place that doesn't care too much, it will spread regardless of ethics and pushbacks.
>>
>>321025809
>A headset bundled with two motion tracking controllers and two receivers isn't going to be the same price as a headset bundled with a bone controller and one reciever.
We already know that it is.

>If zuckerberg was going to fuck things up, we would have heard about it already.
Are you actually this dense?

>You'll get your waifus.
That's got nothing to do with it, I don't want all my VR activity stored in a database to be sold off.
>>
VR headsets are going to be utter shit for at least one or two generations before it start shaping up, assuming it survive before it happen.
>>
>>321023609
What forms?

I went one year using a guys badge, his company was literally just settling bootlegs of DVDs. They don't look into companies at all, you just have to sign up.
>>
>>321024071
/Thread
>>
>>321025957
>We already know that it is.
We don't even know Oculus' price point, let alone Valve's.

>Are you actually this dense?
How has he fucked it up? Show me on the doll where the jew touched you.

>I don't want all my VR activity stored in a database to be sold off.
Oh, okay, I see what you're after now.
It's a good thing you don't need any proprietary software to run the Oculus, then. Believe me, I was worried, too.

If you're worried about your VR activity being stored in a database, I hope you use NoScript to block web analytics.
>>
>>321025957
Not him but you're retarded. Neither HTC nor Oculus have announced any prices. That Facebook spying FUD applying to Oculus is also baseless bullshit. Fuck of back to /v/. Oh wait.
>>
>>321024146
in asia it probably is already.

Once the world sees millions of millions of asian enjoying nerve gear and the matrix, people wont have a choice.

IT will be worse then banning alchohol. Noone will care, people will riot and laws will change.
>>
>>321026336
It's not baseless speculation when the product is backed by a company who makes all of their money by selling data.

Or would you buy a car made by the NSA?
>>
>>321023247
Yeah, a billion dollar joke. Eat it SUCKERburg (emphasis mine)
>>
>>321024159
Smell and taste are the least-understood senses. The fragrance and food industries have been trying to figure out how it works for ages now, with little luck.
>>
>>321025185
I heard most games will be cross compatible. Is this not the case?
>>
>>321024071

Oculus is backing games m8 while gabe is keeping his distance like on steam machines and sitting in his pile of cash.
>>
>>321024159
Sight and Hearing can be understood with simple physical concepts, mainly about waves. With smell and taste, you probably need to have a degree in biochemistry.
>>
File: 1449537741477.gif (693 KB, 339x279) Image search: [Google]
1449537741477.gif
693 KB, 339x279
VR will be the final nail in the coffin for /v/

>VR comes out
>Posting slows to a crawl as 90% of users are fucking their waifu or playing vidya
>Only jaded shitposters haven't at least tried it
>Shitposters shitpost as shitposters while everyone else enjoys the future
>When the majority of people finally grow used to this new marvel enough to pull themselves away and start posting again, a new culture has been adapted
>Worse than "meme game" worse than the mindset TORtanic brought us, anyone who does not post this way is obviously reddit
>Finally the board is so intolerable that those who have stuck with it for close to half their lives finally abandon it

Thank goodness
>>
>>321023041

>he supports FacebookVR
>>
>>321027327
When videogames were invented, how did /v/ change? Same deal.
>>
>>321026713
selling the data of people who willingly input it into their site, yeah

>>321026957
Most games will likely have the possibility of being cross-compatibile or being patched to be cross-compatible, although few at this point, if any, will be at launch. As far as I know, no company is paying studios to keep device exclusivity, just paying them to develop for their device. There's a crucial difference.

Most studios are being approached by either one company or the other, and being given devkits/funding to develop for that specific device. Oculus, mainly. Valve is sitting on their ass, from what it seems. Creating a universal standard for VR at this point is extremely difficult, and developing for two different headsets and SDKs at once is a similarly difficult feat for people who are still in the process of proving to the market/the world/their investors that it's actually a worthwhile technology.
>>
>>321025226

>fuck it, we just buy support instead of doing any work ourselves

Meanwhile /v/ hounds the shit out of Microsoft or Sony when they do the same thing.
>>
>>321027506
I get what you're saying but this isn't a fresh invention, it's a large evolution.

So I ask you, what happened to the American's heart with the invention of stuffed crust pizza?
>>
>>321027551

>selling the data of people who willingly buy the product from them

Holy shit, totally different.
>>
>>321027631
I don't think you understand what I meant. What actually happened to /v/ when videogames were invented?
>>
>>321026287

>you don't need any proprietary software to run the Oculus

>literally what the fuck are drivers
>>
I want to see what it would be like to play Guilty Gear Xrd in VR.
>>
>>321027843
Their parent's fucked a few years later
>>
>vr console wars
>before they're even out
Fucking grow up Jesus Christ
>>
By the way, if anyone's curious about the Cornell neuroscientist, I found her: http://weill.cornell.edu/news/news/2014/07/a-vision-to-cure-blindness-sheila-nirenberg.html
>>
>>321021343
Why are there eggs on the fucking pizza
>>
>>321021343
Why are there eggs on the fucking pizza
>>
>>321027952
This. Fucking babies. This is why /v/ is so shitty.
>>
VR is a failure yet again. They just can't accept it. I'd understand not wanting to admit it if I worked for a company that but upwards of a billion dollars towards the project.
>>
>>321021343

How come I never see comfy animu girls with the ps4...it's always PEECEE
>>
>>321028031
Lol fuck off, facebook's the only one that's failing.
>>
>>321027609
>instead of doing any work ourselves
what

>>321027795
The headset itself will not gather data unless there's something in the actual hardware - and if you're worried about that, well, I got some news for your about your smartphone.

As far as the software goes, any data shared by the Oculus Home platform will be in the TOU, just like on facebook, on top of it being entirely optional.

That's like worrying that Gabe Newell is going to know everything you do on your PC because you play some of your games through Steam.

>>321027903
You know I thought about bringing up drivers but I didn't think that people would be paranoid enough to actually think there'd be analytics software invasive enough to severely compromise privacy in the fucking runtime.

Show me some examples of DirectX selling user's application use history to advertisers, and we'll talk.
>>
The next big wave of games is going to be through VR.
>>
File: 1450034052024.png (72 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1450034052024.png
72 KB, 250x250
>Post yfw Kojimbo's next game will be a mech vr sim
>>
>>321019157
>Cher Wang

lmao wang
>>
>>321028215
And normies only care about Facebook and their brands.
Them failing pretty much says all of VR will fail, again.
It's business.
>>
>>321028328
>yfw ZoE spiritual successor in VR
he's developing it for PC and PS4, right?
Perfect.
>>
>>321028031
It's pretty funny to see so many people jumping on a product that literally has no value for anyone.

I could have told them that, day one. Normies don't want this shit, they want to play candy crush on their phones. The ship for normies in gaming has already sailed, it died with the Wii.
>>
>>321028379
Nope. A lot of people already are willing to buy the Valve VR. Facebook isn't going to fail because people won't buy their VR, but because they will prefer Valve's VR.
>>
File: 1447531783437.jpg (16 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1447531783437.jpg
16 KB, 480x480
>>321022138
>>
>>321028469
You didn't understand a single thing I just said.
>>
>>321028328
Pretty sure I already played it a decade ago as a kid in an upside-down building
>>
>>321028215

Nah bruh Facebook has mad cash to shill their vr

The name of the game is marketing
>>
>>321028469
You don't understand the Valve audience. The vast majority of people on Steam don't have a computer capable of running a first-gen HMD, nor will they get one for the next decade.

If any company was going to make any money off of this, it'd be Sony. And they're not going to, because even they aren't stupid enough to create VR exclusive shit.

It's literally 3D movies all over again. Did I like Avatar in the cinema? Yeah. Would I pay to watch it again, or spend hundreds of dollars on a 3D TV? No.

A few hundred bucks for something that doesn't really improve any genre of games is an impossible sell. Past the initial week of hype, VR will go the same way of the Steam controller, into a drawer and forgotten.
>>
>>321025105
>>321025291
>>321025393
It comes with a lamp (and an XBOne controller and a copy of EVE Valkyrie) and that would probably be enough for most rooms anyway.
>>
>>321028592
Valve and Steam are quickly recognized and trusted though, whereas facebook needs to fight an uphill battle for people to trust their VR.
>>
>>321026019
>VR headsets are going to be utter shit for at least one or two generations
You mean DK1 and DK2?
>>
File: 1000yearsOf3Dmax.gif (368 KB, 492x316) Image search: [Google]
1000yearsOf3Dmax.gif
368 KB, 492x316
>all this hate on PSVR
>People honestly think it'll be the least supported

You believe a 300-350€ machine + the easiest to use VR headset (most consumer friendly from instalation, to troubleshooting) of the same price, will do worse than a couple of enthusiast-grade VR headsets that require an actual expensive PC and, in Rift's case, 4 free USB slots?

More than half the PC market are laptops. Most have 3 USBs max, and almost none can run VR without overheating.

After laptops you get the smaller market of pre-built medium-range PCs and All-in-Ones, that can kind-of run VR. But almost none have good MOBOs with a lot of USB slots, a couple will be already in use for M&K, not to mention a possible webcam. And even then it's rare to get all USB slots in one place, just the fact that you'd need to connect 2 cables on front of the case and 2 at the back already seems like an hassle to the mass market

Then you have the smallest, under 5% pre-built rigs that can run VR with no hiccups at 120fps minimum, the ideal solution. This is what most of you here have.

No one, other than other fellow enthusiasts (all the shitty indie experiments and horror games, or few kickstarter vaporwares like starcitizen) will care about this small market.

(cont.)
>>
File: 444years.gif (250 KB, 296x338) Image search: [Google]
444years.gif
250 KB, 296x338
>>321028869
(cont.)
With PSVR all you need to have is a PS4. A normal gamer won't have to worry about if his PC can handle it, if he has enough ports for the headset, how well it would perform, what he has to install/troubleshoot, where to look for all the VR games, etc
On the PS4 all you'll have to do is plug it in and go to the VR section of the store. That simple.

I know you deem this to be irrelevant "advantages", and I'll probably get a lot of hate. But right now PS4 has more than 50% of the current gen homeconsole market, and it's by far (by a long shot, really) the least expensive and most easy to get into/explain VR option.

I can't imagine under any circumstances more people flocking to Vive harder than PSVR.
I have a very good PC, use it as a dual screen setup (cintiq) and draw in very big PS canvas, and do a lot of Zbrush/Maya work, with 2 SSDs on raid0 as a bonus

But guess what, it's a laptop (for work reasons). It doesn't have 4 3.0USBs and I'm not about to drop 1200€+ on a PC just to try out VR. This is the case for many gamers too, a lot of them buy gaymen laptops, in much larger quantities than DYI pcs. You also need look no further than Steam charts to see how shitty the average player's PC is, more than 60% of the PC market can't run VR for shit.

If I were a dev I'd target the PS4 audience first and foremost.
>>
>>321028945
>>321028869
Fuck off Sony shill, this is a forum for Facebook and Valve shills only.
>>
>>321028869
>>321028945
>USB slots
This is when I knew you were braindead. Have you never heard of a USB hub? Any USB port can support something like 128 devices simultaneously.
>>
File: 832675340121.png (102 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
832675340121.png
102 KB, 600x600
>>321019157
>she didn't reveal anything about the exact (or even vague) nature of breakthrough

because it's more money from a fucking retarded unicorn investor.

these rich assholes vote for trump. is anyone honestly surprised when instead of feeding the destitute, they choose to waste the cash on low res shit fps eye porn research?
>>
>>321024146
>if it's not going to be useful in my lifetime it's not worth researching!

Thank god the societies were this caught on all died out or were annihilated by more advanced societies.

>ethics
Nobody's being forced to wear them..well..unless people start being forced to wear them, like in that Outer Limits episode about the guy that invents a virtual prison that compresses 20 years of buttrape into a single afternoon.

But if /tesg/ and /d/ have taught me anything, it's that you people will be downloading the buttrape simulator and running it on yourselves as a form of masturbation, having already deadened all other senses like Cenobites
>>
>>321028562
not sure what you are referencing with the upside down building but was the game fun?
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa2JfigaNcs

>it has been 5 years since this work was done and plans were in place to make these prosthetics

OK so what happened? Can we finally get our neural VR now?
>>
>>321025729
What system are those controllers for?
>>
>>321029196
So, how narcissistic are you that you think you have to say something no matter how stupid and how unrelated it is to the topic at hand?
>>
>>321024895
>>321024895
>>321024905
>>321026937
>>321027169

Why do you guys not understand that he obviously means simulate the electro-chemical signals within the brain to simulate the sensation of smell?
Just like in the OP article that he referenced, the idea is to buypass the eye / nose / things-connected-to-the-brain and stimulate the brain itself directly
>>
File: DontBurnMeBro.jpg (179 KB, 1500x1300) Image search: [Google]
DontBurnMeBro.jpg
179 KB, 1500x1300
>>321029070
You are a GENIUS!

Oh man, QUICK go tell Oculus to join all 4 cables into one before they ship it!! Go go go, it'll totally work, it's not like everyone in the world already thought of that

the Oculus team had a meeting and said "Hey guys, why don't we, instead of unifying all cables into one, seperate them to 4? It'll look soooo much cooler, and make a majority of costumers buy USB hubs!"

they obviously are seperate because it's a requirement, not because they wished it to. a USB hub won't do shit, you need actual slots available.
>>
>>321029407
Says the gibbering ignorant retard. You don't know shit about tech investing. VR is the biggest sham around since Facebook games.
>>
>>321029196
Have you ever talked to a richfag? They sincerely believe that the strong should survive and the weak should perish and that being poor is a mental illness

The ones that give to charity, which is the exception not the rule, do so because they're in the public eye and need the good PR and the tax write-off and need some high profile charities mixed in with the scam tax shelter ones.
>>
>>321029640
It's not a sham, companies are milking it, as expected. But they are delivering.
>>
>>321029548
They're separate so that people don't have to use all 4 fucking things together.
>>
>>321029410
In order to bypass that, you need to know how the interaction between the nose and the brain works first and that's pretty much what the people who you replied to are talking about. There's no doubt what parts of the nose captures what molecules to be smelled.
>>
File: 1437069693573.gif (765 KB, 350x249) Image search: [Google]
1437069693573.gif
765 KB, 350x249
>>321023041
>preordering
no
>>
>>321029070
If you plug in too many devices into a USB hub you could end up drawing too much current exceeding its rating unless the hub is powered externally.

I have no idea how much all oculus rift peripherals draw but something like this hub would be a safe bet, they cost around $20 and most seem to be externally powered.

http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=25&bid=5&sid=70297
>>
>>321029640
According to your logic, all entertainment-related technologies are a sham. All the money that went into researching the television should've went into feeding people instead.
>>
>>321029803
Yes. Delivering garbage. More than 80% are intended as capital write-offs. Something VR in its current state is perfect for, because most of those projects won't make a dime.
>>
File: laughing manwhores.jpg (3 KB, 124x122) Image search: [Google]
laughing manwhores.jpg
3 KB, 124x122
>>321024724
>that webm
>people are actually excited for this

Are you fucking serious right now?

Holy shit, you weebs and neets are really fucking pathetic as shit.
>>
>>321029753
the rich think the poor are lazy, entitled, brutes

the poor think the rich are self-centered, bean-counting gluttons

this has been the case since civilization arose, get used to it
>>
>>321029947
Yeah, imagine where we'd be without innovations like the fucking Picturephone.

Some entertainment tech has a chance of taking off. I can understand companies pumping out shitty 3D TVs in the wake of shit like Avatar.

VR, though? It's designed to be a failure. It adds no value to anything.
>>
>>321030256
Says the idiot who has no idea what invention and discovery is for. If people managed to make or discover something new and dismissed it because it "add no value to anything", we'd be living in the stone age. When lasers were invented, nobody knew how anyone could utilize it but research money was pumped into it and look where we are now. Anyone dismissing any sort of innovation in its early stages because they look at it and think it "adds value no value to anything" is a retard.
>>
how are you supposed to plug these into your computer anyway? Im assuming they are hdmi/vga/whatever monitors use, an additional usb maybe, and a separate power cord.

also which one is the cheapest? Im not paying over 299 for any of em, let alone version 1.
>>
>>321030619
Current VR is literally just stuff we've had lying around for a decade re-packaged. There's no thought, no amazing concepts at play here.

This isn't innovation, it's a way to get money out of retarded capital investors and possibly a very stupid public.
>>
>>321030042
Show me in real life where I can legally fuck an anime.
>>
>>321030757
You know why nobody knew about it for around a decade? It's because the headtracking is godawful and much more expensive. When Oculus came out with a much cheaper and more superior alternative (such as getting rid of the drifting effect), more innovations can come out of it because the decade-old restrictions are now gone. It's still, technically in its early stage because it stagnated from the drawbacks that are now gone and with it, new concepts can be discovered. You're dismissing innovation even before innovation can be given a chance.
>>
>>321031147
Nobody bothered with it for a decade because they knew it wasn't worth it.

Name a single innovation created by the current wave of VR. You know the "drifting effect" was solved a decade ago? Headtracking has been a thing for years in sim circles, because that's the only genre it adds anything to. And guess what? They don't use garbage gyroscopes. The "solution" they came up with for the OR? A camera and IR LEDs? Go look up TrackIR. Go look up how the fucking Wii motion plus regains its centering point.

Not a single iota of a new idea has come out the development of these "new" devices. It's all old shit, stuck together and packaged as something new.

There are no new concepts. Actual VR requires real breakthroughs that won't be feasible for decades, like fucking neural interfaces.
>>
>>321030757
>re-packaged
Confirmed for not understanding how shitty 90s vr was.

Yeah, it's not like we've increased the resolution, tracking rate, frame rate or processing power by several orders of magnitude or anything.

VR is on the edge of actual feasibility. When we tried to do it 20 years ago, it was a cool proof-of-concept, but it failed because it was ahead of its time, and we didn't have the tech.

Now, we've got the tech to run these things at 1080P+per eye at 90 FPS with 240hz positional tracking, on consumer level hardware. And it's only going to get better. It won't hit market saturation next year, but give it a few years.

Have you even heard firsthand impressions of these things? Nobody who's put a Crescent Bay/CV1 onto their heads has come out of the experience thinking it doesn't have potential.

>>321030752
HDMI plus a couple USB ports.
If your budget is 300, you'll be waiting out the first wave. First few devices are likely gonna be 350 or so.
>>
>>321030752
If you have a recent Samsung phone, though, you might wanna look into the Gear VR. It's not nearly as powerful as a Rift/Vive, but it's already in stores and is the best VR experience that you can get at retail at the moment.
>>
>>321030042

What's really sad is you're posting on 4chan.
>>
>>321031595
>Nobody bothered with it for a decade because they knew it wasn't worth it
Yeah, what this guy said >>321031618
>>
>>321031618
I'm not saying it's 90s vr repackaged. I'm saying it's shitty phone tech repackaged.

You can cite all the buzzwords you want, but the simple fact is, it won't take off.

People don't want to wear cumbersome shit on their head.

Let's go back to the Picturephone. It was an actual technological marvel. If it had succeeded, we would have had the internet about 30 years early.

And yet, it failed. You know why? Because nobody wants to see who they're talking to on the phone. For all the effort that goes into promoting shit like iPhone's facetime, nobody uses the fucking thing. Because it's a bit of a hassle, and doesn't add anything to the conversation.

VR is the exact same thing. I'm sure it was mindblowing to see someone's face on your telephone in the 50s. Doesn't mean anyone would pay extra for it.
>>
>>321031953
You know, video conferences are a thing and they're commonly utilized.
>>
>>321031953
video games wont take off, movies wont take off, airplanes wont take off, porn wont take off.

jesus christ, VR is the next step in video games you fucking idiot, it will take off AS FUCK. Even if it takes a few years.
>>
>>321032154
To add to that, it may not have had an explosive reveal but you can't deny the fact that a lot of people really like talking to their loved one far away while seeing their faces.
>>
>>321031862
4chan isn't a super sekrit club you retarded weeb neet. Normal people come here whether you like it or not.
>>
>>321032308
Goes to say for the quality of discussion in this place. 4chan would've stayed good if it was continuously hostile to anyone who dared to reveal that they were new
>>
>>321032154
Over the internet. Using 5 dollar cameras.

It's a far cry from hundreds of dollars of tech.

>>321032163
VR is a step back. More meaningless walking sims, less gameplay than ever. Nothing but fancy tech demos because there's no actual way to utilise current VR in an interesting manner for gaming.
>>
>>321028945
Actually, no, you'll need alot more than "just a PS4" to use PSVR.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-vrs-external-processor-the-size-of-a-w/1100-6433188/
>>
>>321031953
DK headsets sold out. VR Gear sold out. Companies everywhere are tipping their toes into the VR scene with their own games and applications.

If VR's a 'failure', I'm sure having trouble seeing it. But you'll just keep on parroting your 'just a phone strapped to your face' meme for lack of any real argument.
>>
>>321032437
>just because it's cheaper means it's not the same thing
You can't deny the fact that skype does the same exact thing as what the picturephone did. Also, making something much more cost-efficient is pretty much innovation.
>>
>>321019157
probably found a way to make it at 1/10 of the price.

oy veyy, enjoy the new improved virtual reality hehe.
>>
>>321032437
The idea was there but the tech back then didn't make it viable. The idea was then transferred to personal computing systems. It's still the same innovation.
>>
>>321028745

Valve is but valve isn't in charge of the vive. They are taking a backseat which says a lot.

The oculus rift is known by name alone

If Facebook doesn't slap a name like "The Facebook oculus rift" on it no one will be the wiser
>>
>>321032163
nigger do you not understand what that guy is saying?

vr isnt going to be the next big thing. its a fad, like motion controls or normal 3d. its something everyone will want to try once, and only enthusiasts will continue to use. I have a 3dtv because I fucking love 3d. Is my 3d tv somehow worse because it didnt reach mainstream popularity? Fuck no. Just because you like something doesnt mean it will become mainstream. VR headsets are not the future, they are just another peripheral gimmick.
>>
they learned how to make waifus real
>>
>>321032517
Whoa, tiny quantities of headsets literally sold to drum up hype due to their exclusivity sold out?

Shit, if they sold a few thousand units, that must mean that there are millions of potential customers!

Companies are dumb. They see someone else running a scam, and figure they can jump into the pool. After all, VR is just off the shelf components. Nobody has any real patents.

>>321032675
It's an "innovation" that never really took off. The amount of people who use video calls in the world is less than a fraction of a percent of the people who use phones. Aside from special occasions where you might want to show something in real time to someone, nobody uses this shit on a daily basis.
>>
>>321028274
Facebook is not a hardware company. Nor are they planning to become one.

They won't make money off of selling the goggles to the end-users.

They will make money from the information gathered from them.

This is straight from Zuckerberg himself.
>>
>>321032969
I thought zuckerberg wanted to make second life: normie edition and let you browse virtual shops for real life items
>>
>>321032917
Just because it's take-off wasn't explosive doesn't mean it didn't take off. People still use it and it's still useful for many things. Add to the fact that it's cheap and available to virtually anyone with a smartphone or computer
>>
>>321032775
it will eventually take off because it will always be more lifelike then a flat screen.Whether thats now or 100 years from now is a different story.
>>
>>321032416
>MUH SUPAH SEKRIT CLUB GUYS!

Lmao fag please. I've been here since 2008 and have a functioning life.

Go ahead and try to tell me that you've been here longer so you can keep your super special snowflake status about being here longer and not get your "oldfag" license renewed. I'll just be getting more keks out of this joint.
>>
>>321033109
you're the one seeking validation by being the first one to state when you started browsing
>>
>>321032775
vr/ar headsets are the future. unlike 3d tv, every industry in existence is already developing applications for vr. from the us military to walmart.
>>
>>321033105
yeah just like 3d tvs
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (123 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
123 KB, 1920x1080
>>321032437
>VR is a step back. More meaningless walking sims, less gameplay than ever. Nothing but fancy tech demos because there's no actual way to utilise current VR in an interesting manner for gaming.

Because it's a totally different medium with it's own challenges. You can play FPS and the like with regular controls but the real 'presence' stuff comes from physically looking around and being able to use your own hands.

It's like the 90s, where standards like 'wasd' and mouselook were being formalised. It's going to take some experimenting.
>>
>>321033071
The only reason anyone uses it at all is because it's basically free. You buy a phone, and it comes with this feature. The vast majority of people will use it all of once, to try it out.

VR is the same. It adds no real value to anything, so people will try it once, go "whoa, neat", and then put it in a drawer.

>>321033105
Still waiting for 3D movies to completely eliminate 2D movies from the market. After all, they're more lifelike, right?
>>
>>321033054
While gathering all that sweet, sweet data that is their whole business model.

All they're doing is directly or indirectly connected to gathering data about wast amounts of people.
>>
>>321033183
yeah just like motion controls
>>
>>321032775
They will find a niche until the medium matures, at least HMDs now are affordable compared to a decade ago.

There is a good chance that it will achieve mainstream adoption at some point in the near future similar to how every mother and her unborn child uses the internet now.

VR does not have to be limited to video games alone.
>>
>>321033201
I really want to know where you delusional "presence" retards come from. As if being able to perceive objects in 3D space instead of the standard way of "how big is it" somehow revolutionises anything.

I'd love for you to come up with some amazing new experiences for this revolutionary medium.
>>
>>321033246
>It adds no real value to anything, so people will try it once, go "whoa, neat", and then put it in a drawer.
You see, the real problem here is that you're only considering the consumer in this and not other specialized fields. There may not be potential for anyone as the consumer and that is true. You're only looking at a ridiculously narrow field in here.
>>
>>321033289
You're implying that something as dull as a screen strapped to your face is as useful as a worldwide instantaneous communications network where you can literally find anything.
>>
>>321033264
cart before the horse. motion controls haven't needed to succeed until vr hits critical mass
>>
>>321033246
>VR is the same. It adds no real value to anything, so people will try it once, go "whoa, neat", and then put it in a drawer.

Not him but Gear VR owner here. I bought the phone just for this.
So why am I not putting mine in the drawer?
>>
>>321023609

CES does not check ANYTHING relating to the companies people are signing up under. They just toss entry passes to anyone who bothers to fill in all the info.
>>
File: 1430540893655.jpg (2 MB, 7680x4320) Image search: [Google]
1430540893655.jpg
2 MB, 7680x4320
OLEDs you dumb fuck.

LG is probably getting close to licensing out the patent.
>>
>>321033491
not that guy but youre a 3d/vr enthusiast. the argument is about mainstream appeal, not just for enthusiasts.
>>
>>321033169
Anon was one step away from asking me to prove how long I've been here. If you didn't catch that, obviously your autism got in the way. That only proves my point about how pathetic most anons are, with questioning how long someone has browsed this place being as if it that somehow makes or breaks credibility.
>>
>>321021901

>Wanting ANYTHING wireless

Wifi sucks compared to ethernet
Wireless mice suck compared to wired ones
Wireless audio devices ALL suck compared to any wired alternative

Wireless fucking blows.
>>
>>321033440
Other specialised fields? Who gives a shit? I don't care if these make keyhole surgery a little more safe.

If there's no potential for the consumer, then these things will be a commercial failure. Selling a few hundred to hospitals isn't really my idea of a revolutionary product.

>>321033491
I don't know, maybe you're retarded? Maybe you're just really entranced by shiny things or something. I don't specifically know what's wrong with you, nor do I know what's wrong with the people who only watch 3D movies.
>>
>>321033648
You are a retard.

Wireless is perfect for things where you don't want a fucking wire in the way. Things like a VR fucking headset so you don't need your memelord friend seconding you keeping the wires out of your face like there is in every fucking demo video, and so you don't accidentally break your $500 meme machine by moving too far away, too quickly, and ripping the guts out.
>>
>>321024709
>made for full-room

I think you have a serious overestimation of how many people in the standard game consumer audience have empty spare rooms to play games in.

Hell, just look a the average living accommodations of the entire United States with the most recent census data. Most people don't have spare rooms in their homes.
>>
>>321033698
MRIs didn't have potential for the average consumer as well.
>>
>>321033648
Wireless only blows if latency is an issue.

If not you can buffer and have error-correction protocols.
>>
>>321033786
>You are a retard.

Prove him wrong, show a single case where a wireless option performed on par with the wired variant.
>>
>>321033352
It's a well documented illusion experienced by multiple who've actually used it, myself included. Your brain is actively fooled into thinking it's in another space and forgets it's just a screen 3 inches away.

But hey, if Hillbilly Anon says it's fake, who are we to argue?
>>
>>321033885
>performed on par
Never claimed that. Obviously you sacrifice quality because at the same price point you're getting wireless, so there's a sacrifice somewhere else, but sometimes, for some applications, the wireless is more important than whatever the quality gain is.

The best fucking headphones in the world are fucking useless if they're impossible to use while you're running because of the fucking cords.
>>
>>321019157
They discovered a brand new way to charge you twice the price for half the content.

It will be the "HTC Monocle", a revolutionary new system that removes half the weight of teh old vr set design.
Just close your one eye and get deep into teh world of VR.

And if you buy now you will get 2 !!! units of "HTC Monocle" so you can wear them at once for an awesome 3d effect.!!!
>>
>>321033698
The average consumer wouldn't buy an entire assembly line for himself but it was pretty revolutionary for car manufacturers.
>>
>>321033861
If you're comparing MRIs to fucking 3D vision, you might be retarded.

>>321033890
I never said it was fake. I said it was completely meaningless. It adds nothing to gaming.

A fucking fan that blows wet air in your face during beach areas increases immersion. Doesn't mean I'd pay to have one in my home.
>>
>>321033491
>>321033698
OK, I admit I wasn't really following the conversation so those are good points. I'm not putting the Gear VR in the drawer because it's really easy to use and the actual applications on it are useful in terms of entertainment. I used to have a DK2, but I never used it, and it sits collecting dust these days. It just wasn't easy to use or had much content or was high enough quality. Today, I spend on average a few hours a day in VR watching videos in the Videos app, Samsung Internet Beta, various VR games like Dead Secret and Herobound, and exploring or trying out other applications that are constantly coming out. It's not as fun as some better VR games you can get on the Rift and Vive coming out next year, but the simplicity of just slapping your phone in and having it just werk makes coming back to the content pretty nice now.
>>
>>321033873
>if latency is an issue.

Bandwidth is also a huge factor in the viability of something being done wirelessly, the raw amount of data transfering over a wireless connection is an issue when it's too big, it's why it took forever to get gigabit wifi. Now lets think of things such as feeding uncompressed raw video singal data at a high frame rate?

Do you have any idea how much fucking data runs over video cables to screens? This isn't compressing shit to MP4 and streaming it like a Steam Link, this is raw video data. DisplayPort 1.2 couldn't even handle 4K@60hz and look at the data rate of that standard

>The most significant improvement of the new version is the doubling of the effective bandwidth to 17.28 Gbit/s

Nothing is transferring at that level wirelessly.
>>
>>321034142
I'm comparing them in a way that neither would be bought by your average consumer. Despite literally having no way to be useful to an average consumer, the MRI was still very revolutionary. The potential of an innovation isn't restricted to one sector of society
>>
>>321033873
>If not you can buffer and have error-correction protocols.

>Buffering and error correction on a signal that needs to be under 7ms latency to prevent VR sickness.
>>
>>321024852
a mecha game with vr is basically my dream. would love something like SLAI's overworld for it as well for maximum immersion.
>>
>>321034303
>>321034076
You're making an incredibly absurd analogy. VR is worthless to consumers, but it might somehow in some completely unintentional way revolutionise some other industry?

Give me examples. How exactly can 3D vision revolutionise an industry in the same way a robotic production line, or an advanced diagnostic medical tool can?

Your point falls apart. VR is just as useless to consumers as it is to society. Maybe it'll make drone strikes slightly more effective, or decrease the risk of nicking a vein during keyhole surgery. Those aren't major innovations.
>>
>>321034525
That's the same question they asked for lasers as well. Nobody knew how anyone would be able to use them.
>>
>>321034268
Sure, but that isn't an universal thing. Bandwidth isn't always a limiting factor.
>>321034346
>if not
>IF NOT
You're not good at reading, are you?
>>
>>321034189
Oops, meant for this to be a reply to >>321033615, not myself.
>>
File: what is this shit.jpg (48 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
what is this shit.jpg
48 KB, 500x283
>>321033646
Not the guy you replied to, but shut the fuck up you tool. Hope you're enjoying bro land.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 278x278) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 278x278
>>321022138
>>
>>321034616
Literally nobody ever said "wow, what on earth could we do with these straight beams of light of a defined wavelength, what a worthless invention".

People saw the potential applications, which is why money was poured into them.
>>
>>321034804
>People saw the potential applications, which is why money was poured into them
people are pouring billions of dollars into ar and vr...............
>>
>>321034804
Yeah, and nobody can see potential applications right away. Steam engines used to be dismissed as mere toys during ancient greece and electricity was just a novelty during the early modern period.
>>
>>321034968
Business types are dumb. Companies have poured greater amounts into even stupider ideas before.

>>321034986
There are no fucking potential applications here. It's a phone screen next to your eyes. I really don't understand what you're expecting here. Do you not understand how VR works or something? Do you think it's a magic box of tricks?
>>
>>321034142
>It adds nothing to gaming.
It adds a ton to gaming.

We're not just talking a bigger screen and speakers, we're talking full headtracking audio and 3D. Look up, down and behind and you're still in it, Lean around and you can peek over cover, etc. You feel like you're really in a ship cockpit or trapped in a room with a monster in a real sense.

You can't say that doesn't count towards the gaming experience. If you do than you might as well be playing text-only games.
>>
>>321034804
I can see plenty of applications for VR beyond video games.
>>
>>321033462
They will both work hand in hand, I can think of several applications in which VR would be useful when the medium matures

>Modelling in CAD and playing around with a virtual model before creating a physical prototype which could help in finding problems and resolving them earlier
>training programs, military and commercial industry has been using similar technology for years to train pilots.
>Useful tool for researchers
>Marketting products, like selling real estate or having a preview of what to expect before booking a trip.

and the lost goes on, I have a feeling it is going to be big, video games is only a small piece of the pie.
>>
>>321035120
The problem is neither of us are seeing the potential applications right away. Emphasis on the "right away" part. Same goes for electricity
>lol u rub amber and wool together and paper sticks on it? USELESS!
>>
>>321035120
you're so clueless it's painful to read. you really have no clue what vr is being used for right now, why do you want to waste your time being angry about a topic you clearly know nothing about? do you not understand when somebody tells you that literally everybody is making vr shit now? this is unprecedented. vr is like the next electricity.
>>
>>321034736
>>enjoying bro land
>proceed to call someone else a tool
>falling for the 'everyone outside this website is dude bro who loves cod'

Holy shit lmao
>>
>>321035125
>full headtracking audio
I think this has been a thing since, what, the 80s? Just sit still, nigga.

>>321035154
Name some.

>>321035215
>modelling
Adds nothing.
>training
Pretty meaningless given the distances at which most encounters take place in the 21st century. 2D screens are more than enough.
>research
I don't even know what to say to this one.
>marketing
Sure, I could see some companies having a gimmicky little thing like this to sell real estate halfway across the company. Pictures would probably do the job just as well, though, I'd be happy to explore a house in the way you can use Google street view.

>>321035240
And you're acting like someone is going to go "wait a minute, if I just peel this phone screen back... yup, there's the way to solve world hunger".
>>
>>321035548
>wait a minute, if I rub wool and amber, paper sticks to the amber? yup, this will certainly bring light to our homes
maybe you can do better?
>>
Is there even a point to arguing about this?

Naysayers make it painfully obvious they don't even understand the concept and most simply want it to fail because it's new.

Just let them prattle on until it comes out and they can try it out in a store somewhere. They'll find out for themselves.
>>
File: 1363135450835.jpg (68 KB, 459x525) Image search: [Google]
1363135450835.jpg
68 KB, 459x525
>>321035451
Hey, you missed the point. You're not even one of those guys.
>>
>Oh man I have a phone screen on my face

Fucking useless. I can't believe people area ctually exciteda bout this.
>>
>>321035548
>Name some.

Off the top of my head, viewing 3D medical scans in a much more intuitive way, since flat screens can't portray depth as easily as a stereoscopic image.
>>
i don't even come on this board anymore because it's been garbage for years, why are there people posting who legitimately don't understand the concept of virtual reality? it's not just a screen close to your face. guess this is the new shitposting
>>
>>321036000
>it's not just a screen close to your face.

But it is. You're making it seem like its literally magic.
>>
>>321033992
>headphones are useless if you can't use them while running
you have retarded criteria for useful headphones
>>
>>321036000

I ask myself everyday why I still come here, knowing how garbage it is.
>>
>>321036000
trips for the truth
>>
>>321036092
It's more than that but you're just going to resort to grossly oversimplify things because you're a retard that can't understand higher concepts.
>>
>>321035548
>I think this has been a thing since, what, the 80s? Just sit still, nigga.

Why do people think they can win an argument by acting like a mouth breathing idiot?

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/audiosdk/latest/
>>
>>321036193
shut up man.
When GETS stopped being good, and dubs/trips/quads rolled in that is officially when 4chan hit trash tier
>>
>>321036321
Enlighten me then, if its not just a phone strapped to your face, then what is it?
>>
>>321035983
You don't understand anything about 3D scans. What matters is the internal image, which you can't exactly convert into a 3D object. If I'm looking for a lump in someone's liver, I go through the 2D slices until I find something abnormal.

What you're describing is like looking at the outside of the body, and somehow thinking that its 3D shape will improve your diagnostic. It's a hindrance. Think of all the skin and bone in the way of the organ you actually want to examine, a computer can't intuitively strip that away.
>>
>>321036000
VR threads are just notoriously easy to troll.
>>
>>321036359
Maybe you can look at google for that
>>
>>321036327
Have you never played a fucking game with positional audio before? It's been around for a long fucking time, so I don't know why you're treating it as something new now it's being called "VR audio" as a buzzword.

There's nothing new. You're just moving your head instead of a mouse to move the camera.
>>
>>321035548
>Name some.
Virtual reality walk throughs of real state and historical sites

Surgical assistance, both for training, actual surgeries, and viewing scans from MRI's or CT's.

Eventually, for live events like concerts as an alternate reality experience, though mobile devices could work just as well.

That's in about 60 seconds of brainstorming.
>>
>>321036562
It's time to stop posting
>>
>>321036562
That only deals with horizontal position though. With this you can hear things below and above.
>>
>>321026937
Little luck? Doritos and Mountain Dew exist, they already cracked perfection
>>
File: history o f v.png (11 KB, 450x500) Image search: [Google]
history o f v.png
11 KB, 450x500
>>321035451
>>321033646
>>321033109
>>321032308

You really are the cancer within the cancer
The shit at the utmost bottom of the shitcave under the shitmountain of the shitcontinent
>>
>>321035831
Nice backpedaling.

Don't matter I'm heading to bed. Bye faanon.
>>
>>321036137
Or maybe I have a different use case or own multiple pairs for multiple purposes or any of a fucking million possible reasons to want to be able to run with headphones, but if your defence of your dumbfuck opinion is "*I* don't need that" then you're probably not going to get very fucking far in the business world, cunt.

Go put your dick in a blender.
>>
you pieces of shit don't even know what's wrong with vr

IT'S THE CONTROLS YOU FUCKING RETARDS

they have got vr down to a science but they still haven't perfected how they will input data. motion controls have come a long way sure but how the fuck do you input data? typing? nope. talking? fuck nope. they got nothing. coolest thing i've seen is hoverboard but i can already see a million limitations with that thing.

nobody wants to sit on a keyboard in vr may as well just use a desktop while you're at it and forget about vr.
>>
>>321036698
Nope, we've had full 3D audio tracking in the home since the 90s. It was only in arcades in the 80s.

I really don't understand why you think a phone screen WITH HEADPHONES would be any different at producing audio than a pair of fucking headphones. Is there something magical I'm not understanding here?
>>
>>321036827

The invasion of normies brought on my Chanology was the death knell of this site.
>>
>>321036876
Only took 15 mins to reply, non dudebro
>>
File: 1357069202475.jpg (76 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1357069202475.jpg
76 KB, 1280x720
>>321022138
You bloody cunt i had my hopes so high they could reach proxima centauri for a thousandth of a second i fucking hate you so much you you triple wanker.
>>
>>321036930
not him, but development of 3d audio shit has been stagnant for like 15 years and is getting revived by VR. fuck off
>>
>>321030042
>saved a thumbnail
>posting images for ants
>>
>>321036930
it is not true 3D audio, there are two point sources right next to your ears as opposed to the noise source existing in physical space.

3D audio is emulated by introducing different intensities and a delay between the left channel and right channel, the delay and intensity of each ear depends on where the noise source is located.

I forgot what the name of this phenomenon is but your brain uses this delay between both ears to detect the direction of a noise source.
>>
>>321036930
Aside from full binaural audio, the sdk would ensure support from within the game engines themselves, rather than a slapped on feature from soundcards.
>>
>>321037357
There's nothing to fucking develop. We know all the equations to create positional audio on the fly. The issue is devs not bothering because people use speakers or shit headphones, and that's not really going to change with a niche product like this.

>>321037439
It is true 3D audio. Have you never listened to the dumb binaural shit on Youtube?

>>321037548
So it's literally just a case of "If the dev uses our SDK...".

Plenty of engines already support true 3D audio. It's up to the devs to actually include it. The idea that you're using software that's been around for 20 years as a fucking plus point is hilarious.
>>
>>321037808
there's lots to develop, optimising that shit most importantly
>>
>>321023041
>not preordering something is being a good goy
Are you fucking high
>>
>>321036930
Head tracking changes it dramatically, your brain adapts to the HRTF a lot easier if you have full freedom of movement.
Also 3d audio went to shit after Aureal was sued to death, creative did nothing to improve and microsoft killed off hardware audio. It's mostly because of VR that we've had this big drive to create great software binaural simulation.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.